[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Xcom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: 2016-01-05_00001.jpg (131 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-05_00001.jpg
131 KB, 1280x720
Help me out /v/.
What's the best way to build my facilities?
>>
>>322766763
Satelite uplinks first or game over
>>
>>322766763
use the adjacency bonuses
>>
>>322766858
Should I add more uplinks with the one that's already there or should I put the generators on the left side because of the steam?
>>
>>322766763
Doesn't matter too much as long as you use the adjacency bonuses, you also have one steam vent which is a bit unlucky I think.

If I remember correctly having more engineers makes buildings things cheaper in the base, and also makes the items you can buy cheaper, including them juicy satellites.
>>
>>322766763
Is this vanilla?
>>
>>322767998
It's EW
>>
Start in germany or wherever for the reduced workshop & lab costs. You'll want to expand to north america for its credit bonus and easily attainable full bonus. After that you'll want to pick up high paying bonuses quickly.

Try to have relatively easily accessible steam on the first or second level.

Build satellites and uplinks early.

Invest in adjacent workshops to get more engineers and reduce costs.

A lab (or possibly two connected) will put your research speed through the fucking roof. Save autopsies and interrogations until you get south america, which is fairly easily doable before mutons show up and you *really* need the research credits they provide.

Try to capture intact ufo's for their power sources (two adjacent elerium generators will give you more power than you'll probably ever need).

A cube of Uplink, Uplink, Nexus, Nexus IIRC gives you as much (or potentially more) satellite coverage than you probably need.

Take engineer rewards early unless you're 100% strapped for cash, or are in danger of losing a country to terror.

Get laser weapons by month two, otherwise chrysallids will be a problem.

If you really need a mec heavies are one of the easiest to get into it (get them up to rank 4? which is where their accuracy growth finally gets eclipsed by mec growth). Max level supports also make great mecs. Snipers have the highest aim, but are generally a poor choice for mec conversion because max rank snipers are already way too fucking good.

Savescum the shit out of council requests, you can get a LOT of credits from the right requests ('plz gib satellite, we pay you 250 now and 90 every month afterwards' 'lol k, I needed to reduce panic there anyways')
>>
>>322768159
Remember that mec heavies will always have shit for aim, even if you convert them at the right time, but they can be rather adept punchfuckers and they still fulfill their previous role of 'potenitally face ruining damage' alongside 'decent terrain destruction abilities'.

My squad layout tends to be MECheavy, Heavy (with heat ammo and other shenanigans), Rifle assault, Shotgun assault, Smoke grenade support, Squadsight sniper. Sometimes I drop the rifle assault for a supression / reaction fire support.
>>
Getting satellite uplinks fast is your first priority.
Engineers also limit your max satellites so pick missions that have them
Remember that satellites take time to build so make sure to order enough beforehand
Africa is a great starting place since it doesn't limit you to a specific beginning playstyle, you start with the objectively best continent bonus without having to waste satellites into shitty low income areas
As for research rush lasers, plot stuff like alien capturing gear can wait
Some of the unique council missions can be extremely hard if you end up getting them early game and you may want to skip them altogether since they're usually full of Thin Men

If you survive the first terror mission you're set for life.
>>
>>322768101
Same thing.
>>
>>322766763
I just completed my first successful game, and I ended up building squares of adjacent satellites. They're extremely necessary.
>>
So, to piggy back a bit, is marathon mode any fun?

I ended up playing ironman normal and getting pretty bored by the end of things, but I also went at a snail's pace with story missions because I was terrified of being underprepared.
>>
>>322768159
>>322768784
Thank's for the advice anons.
>>
File: 1451882163099.jpg (58 KB, 851x233) Image search: [Google]
1451882163099.jpg
58 KB, 851x233
>>322768159
Fuck, reading your post made me want to reinstall again.
XCOM 2 can't come soon enough.
>>
File: 2015-12-30_00002.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-30_00002.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
Hello fellow humans.
What is going on in this thread?
>>
>>322768784
I personally prefer the UK bonus to africa bonus, for a few reasons.

1) You're hardcapped by engineers mostly. Which means you will be building a LOT of workshops. Reducing building and maintenance costs for these is important. Furthermore the adjacency bonus for workshops reduces equipment building costs too
2) Credits given out by countries generally aren't super important, as you can accrue a lot more through council missions/requests and the grey market, and generally have more control over when you get the money instead of being limited to only the start/end of a month.
3) Your starting country does determine starting credits.
4) Officer school from asia can be delayed. North and South america bonuses are very easy to pick up and in the vast majority of cases you will be picking up north america bonuses early on simply because the credits the countries provide are on the high end, and reducing interceptor costs is good too.
5) When comparing the benefit of europe to africa, it is INCREDIBLY similar in the amount of credits garnered until you have the vast majority of satellites out there anyways... at which point it no longer really matters.
>>
File: 1451502685214.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451502685214.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>322769848
Play the original x-com with open xcom util.

You'll fucking love having the ability to reactions fire train your soldiers with laser pistols until they get to like 80 reactions, then start accuracy training them so they can land cross map laser rifle shots.
>>
File: 1417473238565.jpg (417 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
1417473238565.jpg
417 KB, 900x720
>>322769938
ELERIUM
>>
>>322770691
What am I looking at here, faggot got fucked and pieces of structures can be blown up?
>>
>>322771190
Mec's belong to enemies in XCOM2. Enemy MEC used a grenade attack that shit all over the player.
>>
File: 1451642111281.png (124 KB, 244x326) Image search: [Google]
1451642111281.png
124 KB, 244x326
>selling DLC weeks before the actual game launches

was hyped but fuck this shit
>>
>>322771496
It's a season pass, all the cool kids have them nowadays.
>>
File: 2016-01-04_00003.jpg (306 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-04_00003.jpg
306 KB, 1920x1080
>decide to try classic before XCOM 2 comes out
>14 attempts so far, I get fucked hard on the first slingshot mission every time so I restart

I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Like soldiers are positioned well and all have good shorts but when I miss 3 60% shots on the same thin man in a row I don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to do. The last mission went like this.

>first pod drop, overwatches get both thin men down to half hp but neither of them fully die
>kill one of the thin men in one hit with my assault
>sniper, support, and heavy all shoot at the other one with 45-60% odds each
>they all miss
>thin man crits my full cover support and oneshots him
>sniper manages to kill the thin man next turn
>move up to the ledge on the right
>2 thin men + sectoid, one thin man dead from overwatch
>miss all my attacks on the remaining thin man
>thin man poisons my sniper, chrysallid spawns
>terrorlevelhigh.jpg
>aim a rocket to hit the chrysallid+thin man
>it misses
>thin man snipes my assault with a crit
>sniper panics and shoots zhang
>heavy gets killed by chrysallid
>panicking sniper all alone against a thin man, sectoid, and chrysallid
>ragequit

Shit like this has happened every time what the fuck am I doing wrong? Also one time when I was playing the game spawned a muton instead of a chrysallid and I somehow didn't have a shot on him from this angle which is fucking bullshit.
>>
>>322768159
>Try to have relatively easily accessible steam on the first or second level.
what does this mean? restart the game until you're happy with the amount of steam? that sounds cheesy.
>>
>>322771190
>>322771414
The main reason he got fucked was that his guys on the roof fell down to the next level because the grenade destroyed the roof they were standing on.

He quit after this IIRC.
>>
>>322771997
>that sounds cheesy.
he recommends to savescum as well.
>>
>>322771496
DLC doesn't even come out until months after the release lad
>>
>>322770691
I thought there weren't going to be mecs in XCOM 2?
>>
>>322772283
For you.
>>
>>322772283
That's an enemy Mec.
>>
>panic starts to increase in certain countries
>need to buy more satellites
>can't deploy more satellites becasue i don't have enough uplinks
>can't build another uplink becasue i don't have enough engineers
>can't increase amount of engineers becasue workshop is not available yet
>desperately hoping for engineers as rewards, but it never happens
>if it does they're the worst possible mission
>panic getting even worse, no engineers in sight
>workshop suddenly available, but fearing it's too late

>finish secret base mission
>"congratulations, panic decreases around the globe!"

P H E W
>>
>>322771997
You can get by without it, but it means building standard power generators and setting yourself back by weeks to months, or taking the time to research early elerium generators, hopefully getting lucky in capturing UFO power sources and then using them (alongside a considerable amount of credits) to build elerium generators... which will set your research back by weeks.

>>322772161
I don't expect everyone to play the game on ironman impossible or try to love the shit out of the tedium that is the long war mod. In the grand scheme of things, savescumming the type of council request you get so they're not demanding 4 ufo power sources in exchange for some garbage reward is a far lesser evil than say, savescumming every single action so your soldiers always succeed at everything forever. It requires a bit of planning and foresight to put into use, but it's also fine to ignore it.

Or are you going to try to tell me you don't reload saves to avoid losing countries? Or that you enjoyed watching your squad of veterans get murdered by some sort of bullshit so now you have to try to put rookies with minimal equipment up against endgame aliens?
>>
>>322771862
What the fuck are you doing fighting enemies without a reliable way to flank them(assaults) or blow their cover up(literally everyone else)? You are doing it incredibly wrong.
>>
>>322773527
How am I supposed to flank shit when this is in the first month and my assault doesn't have lightning reflexes yet? And I can't afford to use a grenade for every enemy.
>>
>>322773646
You plan more carefully?

You also don't need to have the broken garbage that is lightning reflexes. Fucking use smoke grenades to give your assault some cover for flanking.

Heavies have rockets, use them.

Squadsight snipers are lethal as fuck even in the early game.
>>
>>322773835
>Fucking use smoke grenades to give your assault some cover for flanking.
>
Heavies have rockets, use them.

And I only have one of each and there's like 8 thin men. Plus I need that rocket for the chrysallid.

>Squadsight snipers are lethal as fuck even in the early game.
Not when they miss every 65% chance shot.
>>
>>322773442
>Or are you going to try to tell me you don't reload saves to avoid losing countries?
yes.
>Or that you enjoyed watching your squad of veterans get murdered by some sort of bullshit so now you have to try to put rookies with minimal equipment up against endgame aliens?
no, i don't exactly enjoy it. but it happens, and i will take more care later in the game. if i don't make it i will try again. it adds to the experience imo, when i finally make it.

i think it is more fun to not reload the game to fish for better rewards or to avoid deaths just to finish with a "perfect game", but i respect people reloading since it can be quite aggravating, especially in a game like xcom. we are all different.
>>
>>322766763

separate your hanger with an access lift. quit playing baby games.
>>
>>322773646
>How am I supposed to flank shit when this is in the first month and my assault doesn't have lightning reflexes yet?
You don't need Lightning Reflexes to flank.
>And I can't afford to use a grenade for every enemy.
For every pod? Yes you can. You're clearly not packing enough grenades or using suppression at all.
>>
>>322774529
>You don't need Lightning Reflexes to flank.
I do when the thin men spawn in on overwatch and they have like 90% accuracy and will oneshot my assault.
>You're clearly not packing enough grenades or using suppression at all.
I have a grenade on everyone except the support (I need them to have a medikit in case zhang gets hit by poison so I don't instantly lose), but 3 grenades still isn't enough for 3-4 pods of two thin men each.
>>
>>322775170
>>322773646
>>322771862
you're not a good enough player. get better.
>>
>>322775772
See, I'm in the awkward place where normal is way too easy but classic is too fucking brutal.
>>
>>322771862
I don't know man. Maybe you just have shit judgment.

I've admittedly save scummed 4 or 5 times during my run because I get extra butthurt when my soldiers out right die instead of going into critical condition but overall it's been pretty easy.

Don't be afraid to get close or use grenades.

Destroy cover if you don't have a good shit or use run and gun on an assault and flank the faggots.

Move slowly. Meld is not essential. Better to trigger one pod at a time to keep it manageable.

Get a sniper with squadsight ASAP and give them a scope. They can completely cover your ass more often than not and take out enemies your other soldiers can't.
>>
>>322775935
play long war, the only way to git gud is to be forged in fire
when you come back to classic vanilla xcom you will be laughing so hard
i can beat classic now so easily its become boring
>>
>>322777996
NO THANKS.

The last time I tried long war I had a 2 month research time for lasers which didn't make it in time before the first terror mission and I literally had over 30 Chryssalids to fight which even after save scumming like fuck and getting the absolute best possible outcome, turned out to be truly impossible to win.
>>
>>322777996
I like most parts of Long War, but I absolutely fucking despise it adding more enemies to each pod and adding more pods to each map, then shitting on explosives to compensate for them being the counter to this. On anything other than a scout or fighter crash site it feels like I always start right next to three pods that are also right next to each other.

Honestly, Warspace Extension was a better game.
>>322778218
You're doing it wrong. Laboratories aren't optional in LW -you can postpone building them if you're really good on the tactical level, but avoiding them is a guaranteed slow death - and shotguns make mincemeat out of chryssalids because they don't have DR until mid to late game.
>>
>>322774096
Well, I figure if the guy is asking for basic advice, he may not know that council requests can be rerolled via appropriate save and reloads.

Knowing that can make a MASSIVE difference for a casual player, and for a veteran they can choose to ignore it if they wish.
>>
>>322766858
no reason to waste money on satellite uplink until 2nd month tho

Every month you buy one satellite link and 3 satellites (4 if you got the bonus)
3 satellites per month is enough
>>
>>322777996
Try I/I vanilla then. I bet you couldnt do the first mission. Thats what easy LW start does to you.
>>
>>322771190
fall damage
>>
>>322777996
I absolutely disagree. To increase replay value you should play one campaign on vanilla, then move on to EW and then start thinking about long war mod.
Mix it up a little. The game will last longer.
>>
>>322770019
>UK bonus
>>
>>322781256
I'm tired and anxious because I have to go to court in a bit. Please forgive me.
>>
>>322772283
>>322772421
reminder that DLCs will give a new soldier class, I guess we shouldn't rule out friendly mecs completely
>>
>>322781712
So we have one class that hasn't been revealed and one coming in a few months.
They can't just be gene/psi soldiers and MEC,s can they?
>>
>>322780609
>Ever doing ironman in a game with so many bugs that can completely fuck you for no reason

No thanks. I thought about it once but then I got ultra fucked in a regular game and was reminded why that would be a terrible idea.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.