[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mother
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Mother-3-Box.jpg (41 KB, 800x465) Image search: [Google]
Mother-3-Box.jpg
41 KB, 800x465
Never played a Mother game before but their gameplay and tone interests me.
Is Mother 3 a good place to start?
What am I in for?
>>
>is the last game in the series a good place to start
What do you think OP?
>>
>>322765721
Well my understanding was that it's a series where you can jump in anywhere since the stories aren't interconnected. Was I wrong?
My reason for starting with 3 was primarily my interest in the cast for that particular game.
>>
>>322765593
Well to summarize the first two games
Mewtwo comes from space in the 20s to and some guy is like I took ur psychic powers and he gets mad and his mom says stop being a melvin u fkin nerd so he goes away until she dies then he can be hardcore so you have to use trace to get her memory back to scold him and then he uses junction machine ellone to attack from the past but some fat little shit is its puppet like jenova and is made immortal for no discernable reason the end
>>
>>322766331
You won't be able to properly appreciate Mother 3 if you don't play Earthbound first.
>>
>>322766331
They are somewhat. You TECHNICALLY could play Mother 3 without playing Earthbound, but you'll appreciate it a lot more if you do.
>>
File: poo.jpg (65 KB, 420x560) Image search: [Google]
poo.jpg
65 KB, 420x560
>>322766331
You can skip 1, play EB then 3. Go back to 1 if you really want more.
>>
>>322767384
>>322768264
>>322768478

If the general consensus is to hold off on Mother 3 until Earthbound is under my belt, I'll do it that way.
Thanks for the input fellas.
>>
>>322765593
Mother 3 will be better if you play it after Earthbound. There is a sequence at the end of the game where there is a hall littered with items and setpieces from the first game, making it a nice call back. Other than that, it doesn't actually matter if you play Earthbound first.
Also, the ending sequence will also be much more impactful after playing Earthbound.

The combat system in Mother 3 is way better and will be a nice change of pace after Earthbound's, if you do play it after. Not to say that earthbound's is bad, but it's pretty run of the mill, with the exception of the health and item names.

However, if all you want is to play Mother 3, it's a beautiful game and you'll still enjoy it.
>>
>>322765593
Go for Earthbound first.
As much as this is a taboo to do that, mother 1 is really hard to ease into, especially since Mother 1 wasn't produced with HAL Labs.

It's a pretty good game. If you wanted a unique RPG in a 21st century, this is pretty much it and more.
I don't really wanna hype it more than it already is in the internet, but yeah. It's pretty good.
>>
Play them in order OP

>>322770279
>especially since Mother 1 wasn't produced with HAL Labs.

It was co-developed between Pax Softnica and APE, the later being a closely related to HAL (both APE and HAL names are references to 2001: A Space Odyssey)
>>
>>322765593
>Patrician tier
Mother first
>Ok tier
EB first
>Shit nigger what are you doing tier
M3 first

All three are great games, though.
>>
recommend starting at mother if able to stomach the janky game balance and dated fundamentals
>>
>>322768478
Came here to say this exact thing.
/thread
>>
>>322768478
/thread
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.