[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many people bitch about the guns in Mirror's Edge?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: cover.jpg (357 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
357 KB, 1500x1500
Why do so many people bitch about the guns in Mirror's Edge? For fuck's sake, I just don't understand.

They felt fine, they worked fine, they interacted with their environment fine. They slowed you down and picking them up was a decision, as was mentally keep track of how many rounds had been fired. All seamlessly. Faith even raises the barrel of near obstacles it would otherwise be colliding with. It allowed contrast in your otherwise fluid movement and navigation, and gave a bit of depth in how you could tear apart your environment and project force from afar.

It all fit. It was well done. It felt right, it was properly balanced, and it was fine. What in the motherfucking hell was the goddamn problem?
>>
Faith is some random courier, not a soldier. She wouldn't be weapon trained nor would she have the resolve to kill dozens in cold blood.
>>
>>322753450
Everyone is just some random person, relative to your perspective. You'd be surprised what people are capable of. I'm not sure why you think someone can only be one thing, or is defined by their apparent role.

Basic firearm training is not difficult and more experience based. The only issue was her slowed movement with heavier weapons, obviously for balance, was disjointed when you looked at how superhumanly strong she was otherwise.
>>
How fun running is in ME
===========================>

How fun shooting is in ME
=>

Or if you prefer, you know when you're playing a game and it suddenly turns into some mini game that you will only see once and it feels like a minigame you will only see once? That's how shooting felt. Shooting is the stealth segments of ME.
>>
>>322753620
It didn't feel like a minigame, though, and shooting was fun. It blended in properly.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I still don't understand what you're saying.
>>
>>322753371
Because everyone should be going for a non lethal approach
>>
>>322753774
Feed or be fed upon, man. That's how it works, that's how it's always gonna work. Unless the fundamental nature of the universe, and thus life, changes.

Which it doesn't seem like it will.
>>
>>322753739
You ask what the problem is and people explain their issues and then you refute them?

As I understand it, the new game won't have guns at all.
>>
>>322754546
I'm not refuting that someone has the experience they have, I just don't understand their explanation.

Why are they experiencing it that way? I just don't see it. I can't put myself in their shoes, and I don't know why their mind is generating what it's generating. Bear in mind, this is something that people form pretty polarized opinions on quite frequently. It should not be this difficult to unravel and "get it".
>>
It's like playing Dark Messiah as an Archer, you're just doing it wrong
>>
>>322754546
>As I understand it, the new game won't have guns at all.
Also, as far as I can figure, I don't like this one bit. They caved to this shit.

But either way, I don't expect the game to be all that great, or even a good addition the core franchise. It won't be what I want. I want it to be what I want, I'm hoping it's what I want. But it's probably not going to truly be what I want. They're shooting a demographic that is not me, nor in the realm of the original.

Sucks, but more or less expected. Harsh reality of game development and publishers demanding massive profits.
>>
>>322755101
I see.

Well in that case i'd say that it felt rather awkward (for eg the way she runs with the guns) and they didn't feel very satisfying to use.

Been a while since I played doe, might be worth revisiting
>>
>>322753371
they probably didn't play it like they should. Instead they played like a shooter, waiting every encounter to kill every enemy.
>>
File: 1449351585112.png (200 KB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
1449351585112.png
200 KB, 500x276
>>322755814
>But either way, I don't expect the game to be all that great, or even a good addition the core franchise. It won't be what I want. I want it to be what I want, I'm hoping it's what I want. But it's probably not going to truly be what I want. They're shooting a demographic that is not me, nor in the realm of the original.
Pretty much this. Forever.
>>
>>322753450
>She wouldn't be weapon trained nor would she have the resolve to kill dozens in cold blood.

>over 6 soldiers are shooting at you
>OH NO I CAN'T KILL THEM, I'M JUST NOT JADED ENOUGH

Also do you really think people need training to point and shoot? They need training to do that WELL, but a gun is not a fucking plane cockpit.
>>
>>322756490

She is more than capable of running away/neutralizing them non-lethally.

That being said, the player should have the choice of whether or not to make her a cold blooded killer.
>>
>>322753450
It's just a video game calm down man she's not real
>>
>>322753371
I think pistols and shotguns were fine (used minimally) but automatic rifles felt a bit daft. That said the game doesn't really need the guns, there are bigger things for them to fuck up.
>>
>>322753739
Running has all sorts of mechanics and nuance and shit to get good at. The shooting is the most barebones shooting in a game. That's why it feels like a minigame. One moment you're firing every neuron trying to run through a level, the next you're barely maintaining consciousness with how simple the shooting is.
>>
File: 1334266215183.jpg (24 KB, 257x253) Image search: [Google]
1334266215183.jpg
24 KB, 257x253
>>322755814
Yeah, because removing guns was definitely the nail in the coffin on this one.
>>
>>322757175
The guns were fucked up though, including pistols, snipers, and what have you. There's no reason Faith would be able to outrun bullets. She's not granted any super powers as far as we know, she can simply run faster, jump farther, and she has a grip of steel.

It's just lazy shit on behalf of the devs, who, seemingly from trailers for ME2, haven't realized their faults and are still trying to push the bullet-dodger meme. How fucking hard is it to create a semi-futuristic city where the cops have OTHER tools available?
>>
>>322756768
But you do. There is the pacifist achievment.
>>
>>322753620
jokes on you
my favorite part is the stairway gunfight
tiny asian loli gunning down 10 swat armor d00ds is my fetish
>>
>>322756768
I played through and got an achievement for not killing anyone. Just running through levels was fun.
>>
I just realised that in one promo shot of ME2 Faith had some sort of grapling hook in her wrist.
It's not like I expect it to be good but that's a big fucking red flag.
>>
>>322755814
Uh, they put the guns in the first one because of publisher pressure
>>
>>322758461
I was worried about that but from what I briefly played, it's used for crossing large gaps between buildings rather than going vertically, it's a bit like the swinging parts in Tomb raider or Farcry.

Probably a necessary evil for a viable open world design, otherwise every building would need to be connected for no believable reason
>>
I personally couldn't care less about that series now that they went full SJW and hired Anita to redesign Faith.
>>
>>322753371
I loved it, run up to a guy, disarm him, shoot his three buddies in the face, drop the gun and keep moving. Felt pretty cool. Should have focused more on guns you can use "speedily" though, sniper rifles definitely shouldn't have been in the game, and pistols were the most fun to me because they did the least to disrupt your movement, so you could just spam the trigger to fill a general area with lead and drop it as soon as it's empty without losing much speed.
>>
>>322759326
Did this actually happen, or was it just a rumor?

Newage feminists are the most hostile and abusive threat the modern woman faces. Their treatment of the resistant, differing, or unconverted makes this readily apparent.

Hope women end up stomping this garbage out themselves. It's gone far enough.
>>
>>322759972
>>322759326
It was just a random post on /v/ with no evidence, and EA has since said Anita isn't involved in any way
>>
>>322757605

I know that, I'm talking about if they remove the ability to kill in ME2.
>>
ME is a 10/10 anyway.
>>
Can we agree though that the art style is beautiful?
>>
>>322758895
Well they better put em' back. The publisher was right for once.
>>
Who /hype/ for Catalyst in May?

Literally the only game to look forward to this year imo.
>>
>>322753371

Because a game for the Xbox, like 10 years earlier, already did the concept for "Mirror's Edge" and the gunplay there was absolute shit but the game concentrated on first person immersion over gunplay.

There has yet to be a more immersive, fun game than Breakdown.
>>
>>322753371
It was more of how they were implemented.

They were a completely optional thing until the one mission where you use a rifle to knock out a truck- which was fine; and at the very end of the game, where the developers obviously couldn't think of anything else to do other than make the player get into a shootout for the "final fight" of the game.
>>
>>322760582
They sure were. GOTYAY shooter IMHO
>>
File: 1395760713856.jpg (178 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1395760713856.jpg
178 KB, 500x500
>>322755814
>Harsh reality of game development and publishers demanding massive profits.

>Removing gunplay from a video game caters to a larger fanbase

There's one reason if most AAA games are random FPS with a gimmick and weird story slapped on them.
>>
>>322753371
I think people bitched more about the sections of the game that forced you into situations where guns and combat were necessary.
>>
>>322753371
>Why do so many people bitch about the guns in Mirror's Edge?

Think of how interaction with the scenery and enemies works in games like Bomberman, Mario Bros., Splatoon, Dustforce or Q3A/UT and then think about how it does in Mirror's Edge. Understand why people complain about the later and not the others?

Those games use both the environment and enemies to challenge the player to use a set of movements in a myriad of creative ways. They compliment each other, not subtract from one another.

In ME you are given a creative moveset to overcome the environment and then some enemies which fire rng hitscans to you which you can fight with your moveset, although it is a bit clunky (as it slows you) or guns, which completely take away from the parkour.

It's just not well implemented. It's only there because guns. I think the best thing ME could do is depart from reality:
1. Add more challenging scenery pieces. Make them dynamic. Defeating a static set doesn't feel very rewarding. Moving platforms, falling platforms, launch pads, turbo sliders, shit like that.
2. Add enemies that can be defeated in a rewarding way by using your moveset without interrupting the flow. Make them shoot projectiles you can visibly evade. Don't think of how people would act in real life but what would be fun.
3. Add some aesthetic punch to interaction. Think of how boring a realistic looking fighting game would be and how fun it is to watch an over-the-top fight.
>>
>>322761398
In this case it affords a greatly simplified combat and movement system that probably amounts to press "button" to win. Though obviously everything in life resolves to "perform this sequence to "win."" There is a good way, and there is a shit way.

Otherwise I kind of had other things in mind. The change in voice actress. Change in personality, appearance. Change in story and underlying presentation thereof. It's so banal and hits it all right down to the cliche loudspeaker "a happy citizen is a productive citizen. A happy citizen consumes. A happy citizen is a cog in the machine." OMG LOOK IT'S A DYSTOPIA. GET IT YET? SEE IT YET? LIFE'S GRAY AREAS, IT'S DUALISTIC ETC BUT LIKE, TOTALLY BAD, IN THIS CASE, IF YOU LOOK AT IT IN MOST EVERY MODERN WAY."

I mean come on, for fuck's sake. Is it so much to expect someone to even try? Humans are incapable of creating anything truly novel. It's the same core elements, themes, subjective experiences, just veiled in the ideas of the present era and done in a new way. I get that, and it's fine. But cookie cutter bullshit that doesn't even try isn't. I'm fucking sick of it. And I dislike Mirror's Edge doing it. The original avoided all that for the most part.

That's what I mean by appealing to the largest demographic, and it's a relatively smart move. I don't think the lack of guns will amount to any meaningful change in that.
>>
>>322760828
>open world, ass creed style collectibles
>DLC cosmetics
>story focus
I loved the first game but I can't get excited for this one for fear of disappointment. This is an EA game after all
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.