[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /v/, JRPG virgin here. I've always wanted to get into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11
Hey /v/, JRPG virgin here.

I've always wanted to get into the JRPG scene, but never really started.

Where/How do I start?
>>
Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>322714830
I'm actually playing Steam PC port of FF7 right now and it's actually amazing. I never played it as a child so no nostalgia goggles or anything.
It's genuinely a good place to start.
>>
>>322714830
Recettear.
No questions.
Just buy it now and play it.
>>
>>322715168

this is a great game but not a really good starting point for JRPGs in general, it's a pretty big jump away from the formula
>>
>>322714830
Like that anon said, FF7 is a solid intro to JRPG's and holds up pretty well. It's got brick-o-vision but things aren't perfect.

FF6 is usually the final fantasy game that's given out second, but the Steam version is utter shit. Go Emulate it for free. Chrono Trigger also got a rep further up-thread, and for good reason - It was considered one of the best for a long time, but it seems to have aged worse than others due to it's hype and it's use of some systems that were done better in more recent games.

FFX has some really cheesy voice-acting moments and is a bit of a downer, but it's another solid newbie-friendly game.

Bravely Default is probably one of the best jrpg's released recently, at least in terms of being classically styled. It's got a third act that people hate, hate, HATE, but that's a matter of opinion mostly.

Xenoblade Chronicles is a pretty recent title but it's also a decent departure from the classic formula - Not hugely so, but enough to make an impression. If you're into waifus or japanese girl bullshit, the Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth games on steam are pretty solid if grind-y. Tales of Heroes is a pretty solid place to go as well.

Dragon Quest 8 if you can find it is an amazing start, but the Dragon Quest games in general are pretty deep-end-of-the-pool, they rarely hold your hand even if that means they're coming at you with a knife and you'd rather just go play something else after all the jaggy edges. They're super solid if you get into the genre, though.
>>
>>322714830
You just posted where I started. FFVII is the ultimate entry-level JRPG. It's so good that I come back to it every year.

That said, I'm not too broken hearted about the remake taking a KH approach to things. Switching things up will make it fresh in my eyes.
>>
FF7 is how JRPGs became popular in the US
>>
File: 1449471241300.jpg (277 KB, 579x800) Image search: [Google]
1449471241300.jpg
277 KB, 579x800
>>322714830
ff7.

Date Yuffie.
>>
>>322714830
Persona 4 if you want some VN and waifus
>>
>>322714830

If you want to get into the not weeb side, play all the final fantasies and then shitpost threads about your favorite of the series.
>>
>Final Fantasy X
>Chrono Trigger
>Persona 4
My favorite casual jrpgs
>>
>>322714830
Final Fantasy IV.
>>
>>322716187

I agree with this guy. FF VII, FF VI, and Chrono Trigger are good starts. I'd honestly suggest FF VII first, it might be more interesting to people who are new to JRPGs, I'm not sure. Chrono Trigger and FF VI are the shit too though, you really can't go wrong with any of those three.

I'm not so much a fan of FF X, but I guess it's not bad for newbies. It's where Square really started pushing the cinematic thing though.

Also, Dragon Quest. Try these after playing another JRPG or two. I say this because Dragon Quest doesn't appear to change much on the surface, its changes are more under the hood, and it doesn't seem to have the same appeal in the west as it does in Japan. Still, try them out, despite not being real thrilled with VI, I say they're all good, so if you're the type of person who likes to start from the beginning of a series even if most games aren't connected, then go ahead and start with the first. Otherwise, III, IV, V, and VIII are all good starting points. Might want to wait on VIII a bit though, the 3DS version is getting localized this year or next, and graphical downgrade and some costume censorship and two scenes getting censored (and I think one enemy was slightly altered, but so little most people won't even notice) aside, it's got a lot of great additions and enhancements. If you can into 日本語, play them in 日本語, the localizations are... not the greatest. But if they're all you've got, I'm sure they'll still be fun.
>>
Basically take your pick of any of the JRPGs made by Square back in the day. Any of the first ten Final Fantasy games except II or VIII and Chrono Trigger are good places to start. They've by far the most accessible ones, I believe, and are pretty much what you think about when you imagine the quintessential JRPG..
>>
>>322714830
The Last Remnant, or else you're a filthy casual

Chrono Trigger or FFVII
>>
>>322714830
Pokemon

just emulate anything from Ruby/Sapphire and beyond

you won't get any of that jrpg story but you'll get pretty much all of the mechanics
>>
Chrono Trigger, FF6 or FF7. They sum up the genre pretty well. Big, detailed worlds with a strong story and simple gameplay.
>>
>>322714830
Try out tried-but-true entries like Final Fantasy 6/7, Chrono Trigger, Lunar, Dragon Quest, and the like.

If you've got a feel of the genre and think that you like it enough, you can move on to some of the lesser-known and "advanced" series.

JRPGs are definitely not for everyone, so if you're completely ignorant to them, it's really best to test out the more commonly-known ones so that you don't alienate yourself.
>>
File: 8239088429089032.gif (991 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
8239088429089032.gif
991 KB, 320x240
Chrono Trigger, Earthbound (but don't become one of the autistic Mother drones doing so) or Final Fantasy IV, VI or VII.
OR King's Field I (II in Japan), King's Field II (III in Japan) or King's Field: The Ancient City (PS2).
>>
>>322714830

Everyone's mentioned some great things. I'd like to add:

- Super Mario RPG
- Paper Mario
- Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Honestly, they don't feel like typical JRPGs (which isn't a bad thing, some people who hate JRPGs love them). Try them out at some point. I've heard good things about the Mario and Luigi series, though I haven't played any of them myself yet.
>>
>>322714830
Final Fantasy 7 was my gateway into JRPGs so I recommend that.

Chrono Trigger is a good introduction to the golden era SNES days. The DS port is great and has some extra content and a better translation.

If you have a 360 I recommend Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey. If you have a PS3 I recommend the HD versions of Final Fantasy 10 and Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

If you have a PS2 there's always Final Fantasy 12, Dragon Quest 8 and Tales of the Abyss.
>>
>>322720335

>If you've got a feel of the genre and think that you like it enough, you can move on to some of the lesser-known and "advanced" series.

Like what? I've been playing JRPGs for nearly 20 years, though a lot of series have flown under my radar. I've mostly played Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Tales, Chrono Trigger and Cross, Kingdom Hearts, Super Mario RPG and the Paper Mario series, some Digimon Worlds, and others that aren't coming to mind right now. Some on my list are:

- Grandia
- Lufia
- Pretty much all of the Legend of Heroes games when I feel like devoting another year to JRPGs
- The Mother series

I've thought about Star Ocean too, but I'm not sure when. I tend to hear that the first two are good, but 3 isn't so great, and 4 sucks.
>>
>>322720335
>Shiro without Kinnison
>Viktor without Flik
>Tengaar without Hix
>using Rina ever
>using Hai Yo
>Hai Yo

this is so wrong
>>
>>322721502
Games like Shin Megami Tensei and Valkyria Chronicles I've heard some people have trouble with, while I've never really been too bothered with them myself (a couple parts in SMT4 kicked my ass, though).

While someone like you may not find much difficulty in these kinds of games, newbies will likely have a hard time properly grasping the mechanics.
>>
>>322722004

I'm wondering if my post sounded confrontational, or if I seemed to be making myself out to be a bad ass. I was actually just asking for recommendations. The Shin Megami Tensei series I should take a look at too.
>>
>>322721696
It's not my image, bro, my set-up for Luca was Sheena, Nanami, Luc, Clive, and Humphrey.
>>
>>322721696
I don't even think you can use Viktor and Flik in the same party against Luca. If you were, I probably would've been able to nuke him in one turn.
>>
File: 1403285846741.jpg (105 KB, 775x703) Image search: [Google]
1403285846741.jpg
105 KB, 775x703
>>322714830
Phantasy Star.
If you want to go softly because it's your first time, go PS4. If you want to go in raw, balls deep, hope you don't break your dick, go PS1 retranslation with FM sound.

I shouldn't have to say it, but PS is not being used as an abbriviation for a game console in my post.
>>
>>322721502
I liked Xenogears, Breath of Fire, and Legend of Dragoon. The Suikoden games aside from IV and V are pretty good, too.
>>
File: FFIV.jpg (98 KB, 1149x829) Image search: [Google]
FFIV.jpg
98 KB, 1149x829
>>322714830
Final Fantasy IV is a great start, get either the PSP or DS version.
>>
>>322721696
Not to mention Viktor in the back line!
>>
File: 019482571902857.jpg (8 KB, 223x223) Image search: [Google]
019482571902857.jpg
8 KB, 223x223
>>322716412
>tfw when you think there might be a different version of a pic and you search on iqdb and there is
>>
>>322722883
The first two Phantasy Star games were literally one of the most mind-numbing, monotonous, and tedious gaming experiences I've ever had in my entire life. I've kinda shied away from the other PS games because of what a bitter taste the others left in my mouth. Are they any different?
>>
Try Persona 3 or 4. Standard turn based system, with an incredibly interesting story. One of the best parts is that it's urban, so it takes place in real life, so to speak. You can forge actual relationships with people, become a better student, and fight monsters in your free time. Truly an amazing game that blends a lot of interesting elements together.

Also, the soundtrack is amazing. Like, holy fuck.
>>
>>322721696
>not using a team of Freed Y, Tuta, Gengen, Bolgan, and Shilo

step it up, senpai
>>
>>322714971
/thread
First post is always best post
>>
>>322714830
Lufia 2 on the GBC is pretty easy and cool.
>>
File: 1400710513006.png (104 KB, 340x500) Image search: [Google]
1400710513006.png
104 KB, 340x500
>>322714830
Why do you want to become a pleb OP?
JRPGs have archaic gameplay mechanics and retarded and cliché filled power fantasy stories for teenage boys that got pushed around in school.
>>
>>322715168
You'll never have to play the dungeons if you know how to handle the economy part.
>>
>>322724427

Shut up, Beckett. You're a furry anyway.
>>
>>322723014
No. The PC version is the definitive if you want polygons.
>>
>>322725363
Isn't that taken after the mobile version so the attack menu look like ass?
>>
>>322723326
Persona 3's gameplay is shit. Fuck AI controlled party members in any shape or form.
>>
>>322726238
I'm not gonna call it shit. I agree that the computer controlled AI was retarded sometimes, but it wasn't impossible to deal with. Honestly, mostly Mitsuru was irritating because she fucking using Marin Karin on every goddamn thing.

At least P3P and P4/P4G allowed the player to control the AI, so of course P5 will too. It all worked out in the end.
>>
>>322726238

>Fuck AI controlled party members in any shape or form.

They were actually really goddamn good in Fortune Summoners.
>>
>>322714830
FFVI, FFVII, FFIX, and Chrono Trigger. If you don't find something to latch on to in this set, odds are there's nothing branching out that will grab you either.
>>
Try the Tales Of series. If you've got a PS3 you can try out Tales of Xillia or Tales of Graces. Don't play Tales of Zestiria though. It'll probably turn you off of the series honestly. If you want a classic, Tales of Symphonia Chronicles is also on the PS3.

If you've got a PS4 or PS3, try Final Fantasy X. Not too old, but not to new either. It's remastered for both systems...actually, I think the PS4 version is still pending release, but it's still a good place to start. A lot of people started their RPG journey with that game.
>>
File: G5524newshots.jpg (100 KB, 600x442) Image search: [Google]
G5524newshots.jpg
100 KB, 600x442
>>322723296
4 is radically different. Mostly short dungeons, easy difficulty, really well presented all round. Even if you weren't bad enuff to save the space president in the first ones you'd probably like it. It's actually the perfect 'babby's first' RPG.
>>
>>322725363
>pre-VII Final Fantasy on PC
Are you a normie who plays Snafu on his phone all day?
>>
File: the system is down.png (208 KB, 959x720) Image search: [Google]
the system is down.png
208 KB, 959x720
>>322730008
I think you might be underestimating PS4s difficulty through a lens of your own experience with the genre. People actually playing shit easy games like FFVII as their "babby's first" will get walled at Carry Armor and other easy bosses. PS4, as much as I love it and as much as I want to idealize the notion that challenges should drive us to push even harder forward, will outright wall people and turn them off.
>>
>>322730141
Are you saying you don't use emulators either?

Most of the shit is moddable.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.