[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that the dust has settled, what's /v/'s final
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12
File: pokeymans.jpg (183 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pokeymans.jpg
183 KB, 1280x720
So now that the dust has settled, what's /v/'s final verdict on this game? Is it the best one? Is it the worst one? Is it worth a damn?
>>
>>322709164
I don't want to finish it out of fear of disappointment, i'm curently at the point where latias and lugeos get stoned
>>
>>322709567
as someone who enjoyed explorers and was disappointed by gates, I think this one is pretty satisfying

I enjoy the connection orb, but some people don't
>>
>>322709164
It's better than every other game but Explorers.
>>
File: 1451633034838.jpg (27 KB, 599x400) Image search: [Google]
1451633034838.jpg
27 KB, 599x400
I really didn't like it. I chose not to grind and now I'm really kinda fucked. The other games let you just go into wherever. So far (15 hours) into pokemon super mystery dungeon, it's ENTIRELY story. You talk, person leads you into a dungeon, you go through it. you're not a ranger or any of that shit, at least not yet in my game.

Now I'm stuck in a story dungeon at level 12 with level 19 enemies that one shot me. Grinding is only an option if I do it in that dungeon, rely on luck, and spend 10 hours just walking around and hoping for elixirs. It sucked.

The grindy open world "go into any dungeon and fulfill requests deal" is gone and that broke it for me.
>>
>>322710513
git
gud
>>
>>322710053
>lying on the internet
>>
>>322710513
>not using items

it's not the game's fault you're playing it wrong
>>
It's pretty good, but it's not Explorers level. The biggest issue is no Bulliten Board for randomly generated jobs as well as the Connection Orb, and while I like the idea of recruiting through the Orb being unable to nickname recruits and the use limits can be a big downer.

Also the plot is the worst PMD plot in my opinion, but it's still serviceable.
>>
>>322709164
Bought it at launch and don't regret it, great game
>>
Got it as a surprise Christmas gift (along with Luigi's mansion and Triforce heroes, despite not asking for those games, let alone any games) and going to give it a shot. Heard good things.

Also, semi related, how is Triforce heroes? I've heard mixed things here but as long as I can grief I can get some fun out of it
>>
>post yfw you finished the game and "I'm Mew."
>>
File: 1437685442801.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1437685442801.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>322713787
>credits roll on your character for the whole time
>>
>>322713728
you can pick up other players and throw them into pits

gameplay wise, it's pretty basic Zelda dungeons that make use of having 3 separate characters
>>
File: Untitled 3.png (355 KB, 731x673) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 3.png
355 KB, 731x673
>>322713728
heroes is the shit if you have two dedicated friends that are good at vidya. it's 6.5/10 with randoms or alone.
>>
>>322709164
>Is it the best one?
In my opinion yes, it's better than Sky.
>Is it the worst one?
Not by a long shot.
>Is it worth a damn?
Absolutely.
>>
>>322713787
I was waiting for what contrived reason for keeping the mc around this time was
>>
>>322714010
can you see if they get mad and if so how mad?
>>
File: 1449514832021.gif (45 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
1449514832021.gif
45 KB, 100x100
>>322713728
I love TFH, singleplayer or multiplayer, but I have an irrational love for the ALBW engine, it just feels so good to play to me. I only ever played randoms online too and never had any lag issues or ran into too many people who were outright trying to impede progression.

Also playing charades with your movements and the emoticons to get people who haven't quite got how to solve the puzzle yet then seeing it finally click with them was immensely satisfying to me.
>>
File: 1431315377013.jpg (14 KB, 448x404) Image search: [Google]
1431315377013.jpg
14 KB, 448x404
>>322713787
I knew the partner would leave at the end instead of you but nothing else about the plot before playing, so I was just a bit surprised.

I was also disappointed the twist I was expecting from things the game said before wasn't the actual twist.
>>
File: 1451076243215.png (241 KB, 768x844) Image search: [Google]
1451076243215.png
241 KB, 768x844
Who's your duo?
>>
The second Mystery Dungeon game I've played and I must say Red Rescue Team was better.
>>
>>322715609
I played Mudkip since he's what I always play as, but I picked Chikorita because of how cute she is

Did I make the right choice?
>>
>>322709164
I'm 4 hours in an bored as fuck, so far its easily the worst in the series but you guys keep saying the post game is good so I'll slog through the main story.
>>
>>322716342

I gotta admit I was about ready to give up on the game because it took for fucking EVER to get past the tutorial and into the main game.

I get building up a story and everything, but it doesn't take what? Four or five god damn tutorial dungeons before you can actually get into the meat of the game
>>
File: 1367634164361.png (42 KB, 360x216) Image search: [Google]
1367634164361.png
42 KB, 360x216
>>322715609
Chespin and Pikachu
>>
>>322716342
The maingame's pacing is all kind of fucked, the first half is basically just establishing character for the partner and an excuse to shove tutorials down your throat. The second half things open up a bit but you still get railroaded into story missions without any options to prepare.

The core mechanics this time are pretty great and there's a lot of content overall but there's a lot more questionable design choices than the first two.
>>
>>322710513
Dude I'm only like 3 hours in and without grinding I'm almost level 12. Did you gun for the stairs as soon as you found them or explore every floor for items and exp? I've also learned that wands and orbs make most dangerous encounters trivial. While saying all that this is the hardest mystery dungeon so far.
>>
>>322715609

Squirtle and Fennekin
>>
>>322715609
Chespin and Mudkip aka the bara bros
>>
>>322713787
I still don't understand why Mew had to leave and to why the MC even stays or why they Nuzleaf said he wiped your mind when he didn't
>>
>>322709164
It's okay but it's nothing compared to Rescue Team or Explorers.
Needless to say it's infinitely better than Gates, although that's not much of an accomplishment.
>>
Does the Pokemon selection for the dungeons keep being fucking all over the place or is that just for the earlier dungeons? I'm on Poliwrath River or whatever it's called and it's like they didn't even try to stick with the river theme, there are electric types and shit all over the place. In the previous games the Pokemon usually made sense in the context of the dungeons but so far in this one the selection just seems to be practically random to a stupid degree.
>>
I liked it but it wasn't anything amazing like Explorers of Sky was.
Is this just nostalgia? I'm currently going through the post game treasure hunting stuff and it's fairly bland. I swear in the old games there was still a ton of story based content to do after you finished the game.
>>
>>322722509
I also wanted to ask is there any rules to when pokemon get locked out from going into dungeons?
I'm trying to build my dream team, and I've got them all at the same level as my main guy but there's still at least one locked out everyday.
>>
>>322715609
I picked Froakie and Treecko but I really want to go back and start with something different and have Chikorita as a partner because it's so fucking cute
>>
I didn't like it personally. The 3D art style doesn't seem like it's at a point yet where it looks better than the pixel art of explorers. The dialogue felt very childish and the beginning part in the school was mind-numbingly boring.

People keep saying it was challenging, but it didn't seem like meaningful difficulty. It felt very frustrating, but never as satisfying to complete a dungeon as it did in previous games. I'd rather have longer dungeons that are actually fun. I liked some of the new mechanics but overall I'd rather just replay explorers of sky than get this.

Wait until the price drops then buy used, it's not worth $40.
>>
>>322723000
>Wait until the price drops
>Implying the price will ever drop
That's not how Nintendo works
>>
>>322723136

So buy on eBay or something. The game is worth $20 TOPS.
>>
>>322715609
Been playing as Treecko w/ female Torchic since Blue Mystery team days.

Who else kinda hates the fact that they're legit kids, instead of being left ambiguous?
>>
>>322715609
Torchic and Totodile. Best Pokemon for the personalities given.
>>
>>322728115
Fennekin worked well for the partner personality
>>
File: 1451643317079.gif (106 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1451643317079.gif
106 KB, 633x758
>Still not fucking out for yuropoors
>>
>>322709164

As a newbie to the PMD series the game seems pretty decent so far. There's a couple of bullshit instances where I caught myself cursing at the game (i.e. razor wind spamming and incinerate burning my reviver seeds) but I can see how some people could like it.

Definitely for those with an acquired taste than the usual dungeon crawlers. I'm still not exactly used to fending off enemies while shopping for items in keckleon's store.

>>322715609

Totodile and Snivy
>>
>>322709164
It's superior to Sky

>better gameplay
>dungeons are shorter, but harder (Short and Hard is better than long and tedious by a mile)
>better music
>better twists

The only reason people might still like Explorers more is because you start off as a rookie explorer in that instead of a kid going to school. The set-up is unquestionably more interesting. But that isn't a good reason alone to prefer the game.
>>
>>322730174
>all subjective opinions
I thought Sky did most those things better desu senpai
>>
WHY DO GAMES NEVER RELEASE IN EUROPE, FE FATES, THIS AND YOKAI. WHY
>>
>>322734790
>not being gateway master race
There's some other thread up saying it's available for all firmware versions now, no reason not to
>>
>>322734971
I know I'm on CFW and I pirate shit but I'm too autistic and I want to have the EU versions.
I don't know what's wrong with me.
>>
File: O.jpg (20 KB, 333x402) Image search: [Google]
O.jpg
20 KB, 333x402
>>322715609

I got Torchic and Froakie.

Heard they were the worst duo, but I stuck through it, now they're the kickboxer/ninja duo of Blaziken and Greninja, and can wreck shit into oblivion with Double Kick and Water Shuriken.

Totally worth it.
>>
>tfw still waiting for it
At least I have time to finish Majora's Mask now. I'm a big fan of the Mystery Dungeon games, I hope it's good. I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't pick Cubone anymore though.
>>
>>322734156
>subjective
Lol

The gameplay is objectively better. More attacks being ranged means more room for strategy. The emera system makes the game more roguelike-ish and adds another layer of strategy: which ones to keep and which ones to use? It also encourages players to explore the entire floor instead of making a beeline for the stairs.

The dungeons are objectively shorter but harder. The regular enemies are far more deadly than they were in previous games, there's no denying this. You can generally get two-shotted by anything.

Sky's twists were pretty predictable. Oh no, the cool ninja looking Pokemon is really a good guy, and the menacing Ghost type is evil! Just like in the previous game!
But I bet you never saw your step-dad's betrayal coming in Super.

Music is the only subjective one but pretty much anyone can see Super wins out.
>Fire Island Volcano
So fucking good
>>
>>322737765
The recruitment system is shit in SMD, as are the quest things that replaced the mission board.

Pokemon being able to take a 'vacation' even in the post game is garbage too, just makes it annoying that you have to swap team members around constantly.

There is very little strategy in the game in the first place, just spam attacks and use an item if the enemy's too tough. Ranged attacks just makes this easier as you can start spamming attacks earlier.

Emeras are cool, good addition to the game.

I appreciate shorter dungeons. Can't comment on enemies being harder since I can't remember Sky too well but I can say I haven't had any problems dealing with enemies in SMD. 0 game overs throughout my entire save.

You're delusional if you think SMD's twists were any less obvious than Skys. This dark type somehow found me in the woods and wants me to break in to the super secret mountain. You're telling me you didn't find that fishy at all? I liked the twists anyway but you can't tell me they weren't super obvious.

I liked Skys story better but that's subjective
I liked Skys music better but that's subjective
I liked both games and both had their advantages and disadvantages
>>
>>322739048
Nuzleaf is a Dark type but primarily Grass even in appearance which keeps the 'peaceful woodland creature' appearance up, blending in with other villagers. He's not quite as obviously evil as Dusknoir.

In Sky I just remember waiting until enemies were directly in front of me and using my 1-tile moves. You didn't even get any ranged moves till endgame/post-game.

Another great gameplay aspect I forgot to mention is how all the starters start off with type coverage and egg moves. Gives the game much more variety. The previous games follow the main games' learnset, except you don't evolve or even reach level ~50 by the final boss, which means you're pretty much only using Tackle and Ember/Water Gun/Thundershock/Vine Whip for 75% of the game.

I think Elixirs were also far more rare in dungeons along with PP being stupidly low (I think Flamethrower was like 8 PP... this is in a game with 40 floor dungeons. What the fuck?). Super balanced all these things much, MUCH better.
>>
>>322739349
I agree with all of that
Still prefer Sky, mostly for the superior mission system and post game content, but as I said both have their advantages and disadvantages
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.