[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the writing so bad
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9
Why is the writing so bad
>>
>>322701903
Elaborate, you fiend.
>>
>>322701903
fan translated by people who did a rush job to beat nintendo so no C&D could have been issued
>>
name good writing in vidya
>>
fan translators are idiots who don't know how to write dialogue that flows well. As for the game's plot itself, that's a whole different matter
>>
Too busy pandering to waifu shiteaters to make a decent game.
>>
>>322702779
>but if there's one thing Treehouse might actually do well, it's making the dialogue better.

You're making me laugh here, anon.
>>
>>322703034
can't make it any worse. I think memes would even be better than this pile of crap
>>
>>322703034
he's actually right. Dialogue already shown in the English footage is overall superior. Examples being Jakob not being as obsessed with the main character and Azura not being as unnecessarily vague about half the things she says.
>>
>>322703034
>what is kid icarus
>>
because its not in english yet
>>
>>322701903
FE is not known for its good writing, anon. The best was probably PoR's Supports although we never got official translations for half the games anyway.
>>
>Games might actually need localization instead of direct translation to flow well for a broad audience

GEE, WHO WOULD HAVE FUCKING THOUGHT? It's almost as if /v/ doesn't know about anything it talks about or something. Fucking weird, man.
>>
File: Aizen.gif (601 KB, 291x386) Image search: [Google]
Aizen.gif
601 KB, 291x386
>>322701903
Because its written by the Japanese. Badly written drama is their forte
>>
>>322702160
Not OP but, the plots of Nohr and the third route are hilariously bad. Hoshido's plot is passable for a FE game, but nothing special.

I played it in Japanese when it first released over there. They're still really fun games (Nohr route especially), but the writing is honestly some of the worst I've ever seen. And I've seen some shit. Others who know Japanese and have played or who spoiled themselves silly generally agree.
>>
>>322703586
Pic related? I feel like Bleach had a lot of good characters but a horrible overall story.
>>
>>322703489
People get offended when said localization digs up dead memes.

Other than that nitpick (decent) localization helps dialog flow better
>>
They originally hired a light novel writer to do the basic outline for them.
That's strike one.

They made it so both versions had events that parallel despite being stupid in one version or the other such as Aqua's dance attack on Garon, two siblings having to die, Garon in general, Lilith dying.
That's strike two.

They then had to write Nohr and Hoshido is such a manner that you'd still want to play Touma, implementing stupid rules and reasons why information was locked for the Touma version.
Strike Three.

Features were added or kept simply because they were what fans liked. The worst example being the contrivances for child units in this game.
Strike Four.
>>
File: 1446749500663.jpg (281 KB, 912x1768) Image search: [Google]
1446749500663.jpg
281 KB, 912x1768
>>322703262
>>322703034

The dialogue will definitely sound better and flow better, it just probably won't be very accurate. Or even a little accurate.

Sadly, you can have an accurate (as far as I know) but awkward fan translation or dialogue that sounds like normal English but with half of it made up, but not both.
>>
>>322701903
Because after Awakening's massive success they realised they didn't even need to try writing a decent or engaging story anymore since people only cared about how many girls they could impregnate.
>>
File: image.gif (167 KB, 480x450) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
167 KB, 480x450
>>322701903
ISIS decided to higher a manga writer and then proceeded to only use his base outline of the story and write the rest of it themselves.

>>322702839
I'm playing the fan translation right now up to (chapter 4) and the gameplay is pretty good. Not the greatest SRPG ever made but enjoyable enough. You can ignore the Dating Sim aspect of you want to anyway.
>>
File: translations.jpg (557 KB, 1382x1348) Image search: [Google]
translations.jpg
557 KB, 1382x1348
>>322703489
>This stupid argument again
>>
>>322703828
>They originally hired a light novel writer to do the basic outline for them.

Hey now, some light novels have nice stories...at the very LEAST as good as anything you can find in the average Fire Emblem game. 12 Kingdoms in particular.

I remember reading somewhere that they massively condensed/altered the writer's outline though, so whether it was good or not in the first place probably doesn't even matter.
>>
MC sounds like a cuck desu.
>>
Because most JRPGs have shit writing to begin with and localization teams have to try and salvage shit base material.

See
>>322703853
>>
>>322703853
>but with half of it made up, but not both.
>a single character is half the dialogue in the game
>>
All video games have bad writing
>>
I'm going to make a big list of things that should have never gotten past the idea phase.

1. Mikoto should have never been powering a barrier. Her death should have been Nohr taking advantage of Hoshido's instability at losing it's monarch, not because her magic HOSHIDODINDUNUFFIN barrier was removed.

2. The Fight Club Rule for Touma should never have been implemented. It's existence is pointless and only used for forced drama. Trying to convince your adopted siblings a magical kingdom ruled by a demon dragon that you have to make a suicide jump into a massive chasm would have been more than enough.

3. The Dance Assassination. Find another reason to justify Aqua getting a CGI dance for each version. Having innocent people be murdered over your attempt to assassinate Garon is not endearing. Having nobody but Kamui realize that Aqua tried to murder Garon with Dance in Nohr is even worse.

4. Garon's lunacy. With how devoted Marx is, there is no fucking reason that Garon should be the way he is when he's a fucking raving cartoon villain in every scene you see him.

5. Child units. No, the hyperbolic time chamber was a horrible idea and the popularity polls have proven that with how unliked the children are for the majority.

6. Hoshido's magic throne of "truth." The single worst justification for a character to agree to invade a nation ever.
>>
>>322704757
>The quoted example is the only example
No, retard, the entire script of Awakening is like that.
>>
>>322704908
Alright lets see some more examples, side by side comparison.
>>
>>322703985
>people only cared about how many girls they could impregnate.
But that's the only thing worth caring about irl too
>>
>>322705013
http://four-loose-screws.tumblr.com/post/75221663887/fire-emblem-awakening-master-post

Here you go. Dozens of examples to choose from.
>>
File: 9qd095.jpg (42 KB, 450x266) Image search: [Google]
9qd095.jpg
42 KB, 450x266
>>322704813
>All video games have bad writing
>>
>>322705223
>No ending
>>
>>322704134
third is best tho
>>
What are the best written Japanese vidya?
>>
>>322705370
Go to bed, Xythar.
>>
it's a direct translation, so it's going to sound funny or flat in english.
>>
>>322704813

Maybe but they can range from inoffensively mediocre to gratingly awful.
>>
>>322704134
You should add the Duwang one for "Machine Translations"
>>
>>322704757
Awakening has tons of examples like that. It's mostly in the supports though, I don't think the main plot was altered much.
>>
>>322704134
Third and the 4kids one are the best ones.
>>
>>322705394
Nier, Lost Odyssey, Suikoden 5 and Growlanser 4.
>>
Why do the homo romances not produce children? Why would they gimp the only reason for me to do a female playthrough and upset the you know whos?
>>
>>322704813
No they don't. Plenty of video games have fine writing. The problem is that you likely are comparing video games to books, and you can't. They tell stories in completely different ways.

Either that or you're still an edgy teenager and haven't actually played many games.
>>
>>322705394
Several older JRPGs have pretty good writing. Fewer and fewer JRPGs that can lay claim to that nowadays, however.

Keep in mind my idea of "good writing" means having an engaging plot and interesting characters, not being a fucking piece of master literature.
>>
>>322705850
male Corrin and Zero (Niles?) adopt children in their epilogue, I guess it wouldn't make sense lorewise considering they're supposed to be biological children
>>
>>322706213
Honestly adopting a child right in the middle of war just to pop them in some time chamber shit so they can grow up to help fight his parents battles makes about as much sense as anything else regarding children in that game, so they might as well have done it.
>>
File: updated.gif (51 KB, 320x299) Image search: [Google]
updated.gif
51 KB, 320x299
>>322704813
>>
>>322706213
Who cares about the epilogue, I want a fucking unit.

I miiiiight be able to pass on that ten-year-old looking excuse for a battle-hardened son, but I can't imagine anyone would pick the male gay option and lose out on two children units/daughters.
>>
>>322706651
Not to mention, there's all sorts of magic in the fire emblem universe, why not some transformation or fertility spell to get homo kids? Doesn't make any less sense than being able to chuck lightning around because you're holding onto a book.
>>
>>322706204
>interesting characters

Found that's very important to me in rpgs. The sense of a cozy party of friends that grows to know each other over a journey. Games love to put entire worlds in danger, but when those worlds have nothing but soulless npcs in them, no wonder players will destroy them without a care.
>>
File: gene pepe.jpg (133 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
gene pepe.jpg
133 KB, 600x600
>>322705276
Just like my Gene Wolfe novels
>>
>>322701903
>Why is the writing so bad
Name a recent game with good writing.
>>
>>322707046
>why not some transformation or fertility spell to get homo kids?
Missed opportunity for futa doujinshi.
>>
>if it's not a complete turd, it must be good!
>>
>>322701903
Is the fan translation really that bad? If so then I don't think I'll go through the hassle of installing this custom firmware shit.
>>
>>322708593
>>322708593
>>322708593
>>322708593
>>322708593
please respond
>>
>>322701903
I waited too long to order the special edition and now they're sold out. Does anyone know if there's going to be another batch?
>>
>>322709189
No
>>
>>322701903
Weeb and waifushit saved the series, and it'll be the death of it again.
>>
What is "bad writing"?
>>
Sacred Stones was my introduction to the series, but I've stuck with Awakening the longest.
Hoshido if you're like me.
Nohr if you're experienced.
Or get both like I am.
>>
>>322704813
Nah, not all of them. I'd agree with the majority though.
>>
>>322703853
I'd rather have entertaining than accurate to be perfectly honest. If only it could be both.
>>
>>322704134
All three are shit
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.