[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Director says story of FFXV was inspired by "The Last of Us"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: lastofusawards2.jpg (759 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
lastofusawards2.jpg
759 KB, 1920x1200
>"It's important that the story progresses through the gameplay in a very unforced way, in a similar way that it was done with The Last of Us, for example," Tabata said.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15-story-inspired-in-part-by-the-las/1100-6433497/

Is this good?
>>
>TLOU's story
>"unforced"

Uhhhh
>>
WHAT THE FUCK IS HE EVEN TALKING ABOUT LAST OF US IS 100% FORCED AS THE GAME DOESN'T ALLOW YOU TO GO ANYWHERE BUT FORWARD JESUS FUCKING CHRIST JUST ADMIT YOU ARE DOING FINAL FANTASY 13 OPEN WORLD EDITION YOU FUCKING TWAT
>>
>>322700321
Says how the story is progressed through gameplay.

aka the good transitions between cutscene and gameplay, and events that trigger exposition between characters naturally so they don't have to use cutscenes. Like how XV crew talk alot and remark about things they see.
>>
File: smug sword.png (248 KB, 652x624) Image search: [Google]
smug sword.png
248 KB, 652x624
>>322700180
BLUNDER OF THE YEAR
>>
>>322700180
didn't they say the same thing about Silent Hills before it got canned?
>>
>>322700180
It's over, the Japs are being tainted by the toxic westerners.
>>
>>322700475
>IT'S NOT OPEN WORLD THEREFORE IT SUCKS
>>
How? Isn't it a magic mob story? The godfather vs the Vatican?
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 1280x720
>>322700180
why isnt this game in louvre, next to the mona lisa yet?

its literally one of our greatest accomplishments as human beings
>>
>>322700475
>>322700321

As per, people on here have the reading comprehension of a cabbage.

He said they want the story to progress through the gameplay in an unforced way, like the Last of Us.

What that means is pretty much what this anon said >>322700530

Forgetting the content of TLOU's story, but the way it's presented is unforced. They want the story to flow throughout, during some elements of gameplay so they don't just force exposition via cutscenes only.
>>
>>322701616
Woah buddy, we dont take kindly to intelligent comments around here.
>>
>Being inspired by one of the greatest games of all time
>/v/ will make this out to be a bad thing
>>
>>322701616
But that IS forcing the story. Instead of quick skippable scenes they tainted the gameplay with unskippable, uncinematic scenes.
>>
>>322701573
we should bring back bullying
>>
>>322700530
>>322701616

Listen to these 2 anons, this is a good thing, FFXV isnt actually inspired by TLOU as a story inspiring plot points in XV but rather how its told. Which regardless of your thoughts on TLOU are, thats a good thing. TLAO told alot of its story through gameplay sections which is what games like XV and star ocean 5 seem to be doing and doing well.
>>
>>322702237
why are you playing a story driven game if you want to skip everything story related?
>>
BRAVO
>>
>>322702237

I don't think they mean forced in the way you are referring to. By making a fluid story that flows with gameplay, you don't have to have big sections of narrative forced in at random points.

Sure, you will be forced to hear the story, but the point is to avoid the game going like this:
>play the game for a while
>director jams in large sections of narrative to advance the plot by way of cutscenes or large talking segments.

By having smaller bits of narrative that occur while the game is playing, makes for a smoother experience.
>>
>>322701616
>>322700530
because making you carry around a latter to parse out time of delivering exposition and dialogue is totally not forced
TLoU is a bad example of this, the idea in itself isn't a bad one, but TLoU's "non forced through gameplay story" is carrying shit around and doing nothing of importance other than an artificial gate and time waste to make you listen to the story.

it COULD be a good thing, it just depends on what the FFXV team does with it.
>>
Mite b cool, I don't mind it really but final fantasy games do tend to have really long periods where control is taken away from the player to drop a bunch of story stuff on you.
>>
>>322701616
Hmm, i remember at the start of the game you had to run in a straight line with explosions and other generic "exciting" crap going on around you. If you stray from the path i.e. you don't want to follow the story and just explore, the game spawns a zombie that kills you. It punishes you for not following the story. Please explain to me how this isn't forcing the story onto the player....
>>
But will it have a comparable marketing budget?

This is extremely important. I have a stockpile of anime girl images and other shitpost material to make 10/10 scoreboard collages to unrelentingly spam /v/ with. It won't work if they don't buy 10/10 on every single website, understand?

I'm planning on spending at LEAST two weeks of my life on this so they'd better make the most of it.
>>
>TLoU
>unforced progressing of the story through gameplay
>HEY ELLIE THAT LADDER PUZZLE REMINDS ME OF THE ONE TIME...
>u
>n
>f
>o
>r
>c
>e
>d
>>
>>322703504
No it doesn't, it creates a very rough and frequently interrupting experience. I'd much rather only sit through one long cutscene that have my gameplay interrupted every 5-10 mins
>go through doorway
>story cutscene
>bad guys spawn after cutscene
>you shoot the bad guys
>story cutscene after you've killed the bad guys
>climb up ladder
>cutscene
>go through linear action sequence with no chance of running off the path #13
>cutscene
>oh look I can walk around a room and look at pointless photographs and trinkets because "context"
>cutscene
>forced stealth section
>cutscene
>>
Nomura already talked about this years ago
in game events which don't take control away from the player

you know how in western games story stuff is happening around you but you can still move around your character
instead of cutscenes which you just watch

that's basically it, MGSV did it and FFXV is following suit

for some reason japs worship the west as masters of game design
>>
>>322700180
>play last of us
>decide what's important is that it's a coming of age road trip story
This certainly doesn't sound like a good thing, at least for FFXV.
>>
>>322703552
Wut? During most of the conversations you are exploring and scavanging which is a vital part of the game. A ton of them are also optional. I guess you refer to the pallet "puzzles" and shit which mostly serve to load the next area as well as act as a little breather. Something ND has been doing since the Crash days.
>>
>>322704435
Oh so they want all games to be Half-life?
>>
>>322704435
>you know how in western games (Half Life 2) story stuff is happening around you but you can still move around your character inside a boxed room until the story allows you to progress

fixed
>>
>>322704417
>No it doesn't,
yes it does
>>
>>322703880
>Platformer levels with moving flame walls force the story on the player
>>
File: 1419321438686.png (354 KB, 1000x991) Image search: [Google]
1419321438686.png
354 KB, 1000x991
>10 years from now /v/ will claim FFXV was revolutionary
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.