[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So quick question, /v/; how crazy are you anons about potential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: Health.png (92 KB, 706x308) Image search: [Google]
Health.png
92 KB, 706x308
So quick question, /v/; how crazy are you anons about potential health-gain losses, that is to say, the health you didn't gain when picking up a health pack because you reached max health, while the health pack could have healed 5, 10, or 20 more HP?
>Do you only care if it's large health gains?
>Do you have "cut off" limits, ie you don't pick up health packs if you're going to lose out on 15 or more HP?
>Are you willing to keep going and save the health pack for when you take more damage, just so you can maximize all of the HP gained from the health pack?
Even though health packs seemed to have been phased out in some genres (namely shooter genre), they're still prevalent in RPGs as potions, keep in mind.
>>
>>322649591
Please tell me people aren't this ocd.
>>
>>322649874
Someone will inevitably reply to you with "It's called being good at the game and maximizing your health and ammo", or something along those lines.
Which, these same questions can be directed towards ammo too.
>>
If they're stray, one-time pickup items, I try to get the one closest, but mostly on games I don't know well yet.
In the case of potions I just buy lots of the most cost-effective item and give no shits if I have only 200HP potions to heal 10 damage
>>
>>322649591

Fuck off and go be autistic somewhere else
>>
>>322649591

if it's not a team game i take everything, even if you waste health, that's less pickups for the enemy to have
>>
>>322649591
Who cares health and armor respawns ;^)
>>
>>322649874
What's more is this guy is ocd about other people's ocd.
>>
File: Curse.png (167 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Curse.png
167 KB, 400x300
>>322650548
>Genuine discussion about video game mechanics and how the vidya culture reacts to those mechanics
>Fucking autism!!
Classic /v/.
>>322651042
Not in all games. In multiplayer games they would, but a lot of single player games they're gone for good once you pick them up.
>>
>>322649591
yes I wait until my health is lower before using a pack. Isn't this common practice? No predefined limits but pic is about right, maybe a little lower on the large.
>>
>>322650113
That's true though.

Let's not get overboard either but in many situations, it really helps you survive to pick a health pack at the right time. Albeit that's not so much "being good", moar liek cheating a bit.

It's not like instant on-touch health packs were ever a great mechanic anyway.
>>
>>322652689
>It's not like instant on-touch health packs were ever a great mechanic anyway.
Name a better alternative.
>>
>>322653553
Health packs can be carried in limited amount.

Speed of application may vary.

Example: Far Cry 2 (morphine syringes and bottles of water/disinfectant)
>>
>>322649591
Depends entirely on how difficult the game is. If it's ball busting hard, you bet I'll save those for when I get the most out of them.
>>
>>322649591
Unlike some people, I have been playing games for more than a year, so I don't need to calculate each of my pickups like some kind of autistic newbie.

If my instincts tell me to pick up a medkit, I do. If they don't, I leave it for later. Simple as that. Fucking casuals.
>>
>>322654314
If you mean portable medkits as the only source of healing, then no, I don't agree. If you mean having both standard one use pick ups as well as portable medkits, then sure.
>>
>>322651390
Welcom to Next-Generation Special Forces /V/.
You like memetale and enjoy sucking e-celeb's cock? ,then enjoy it, bitch ;^)
>>
>>322654831
That's why i have cited Far Cry 2, you can both go to a first aid box to replenish syringes (and get a instant full heal), use syringes (takes a bit of time) or grab bottles of water (again, full heal, but you can't carry them and are single use).

A mixed system (with various pros and cons for the various methods) is best
>>
>save ammo pickup because I'm maxed out
>go back for it after I shoot some enemies
>enemies respawn and I have to use more ammo killing them again
REEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>322653553
Instagib.
>>
Wait till I'm one hit away from death and use a large and then scale up
>>
>>322649591
For Doom and such I use a 50% rule for medkits: Leave the medkit if more than 50% would be wasted.

Ammo is different, because it tends to be more plentiful. In some games, like Shadow Warrior, I'll collect ammo just for a couple shots.
>>
File: BrainProblems.jpg (40 KB, 192x220) Image search: [Google]
BrainProblems.jpg
40 KB, 192x220
>>322654559
I get that you're trying to insult the casuals that are lurking, and trying to make yourself look good at video games and hardcore, but your post is probably the most autistic thing in the thread so far.
>I AM A HARDCORE GAMER WHO HAS PLAYED VIDEO GAMES FOR MORE THAN A YEAR
>IF MY WAR INSTINCTS SAY I NEED TO HEAL, I WILL HEAL, AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE WAR INSTINCTS YOU'RE A CASUAL
And as far as you trying to make yourself look cool and good at vidya... Fucking why? You're an anon on a cesspool of a video game board. We don't give a shit if you play Quake 3 Arena 24/7 or if you bounce on your boyfriends cock all day while you play Call of Duty, just don't be an autistic faggot about it. And your next line will be "No you're the fucking autistic faggot!"
>>
File: 1448096824701.jpg (31 KB, 495x595) Image search: [Google]
1448096824701.jpg
31 KB, 495x595
>>322649591
It annoys me but if I need it I need it.
>>
>>322649591
>video games
>getting hurt
lol, get good.
>>
>>322649591

I only maximize health gains if restoratives are hard to come by, otherwise I don't really think about it and use as needed.
>>
>>322651390
>>Genuine discussion about video game mechanics and how the vidya culture reacts to those mechanics

Nothing about this is genuine, at all.

Also
>vidya culture

>>>/r/eddit
>>
File: 1393627221458.png (198 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1393627221458.png
198 KB, 900x900
>losing health
>>
Depends on how it's used, if it's like half life where it's automatically used when you come close then I'll usually get then regardless of how high my health is, if I can take them with me or put them in my inventory like potions and what not I tend to wait until I have like 1 hp left
>>
>>322655770
Dude, I'm not "hardcore" or whatever you kids like to be called these days, I just play games a lot. And when you do something a lot, you develop instincts related to it. There's nothing more to it.
>>
It's all situational. Like what I think is ahead, if I can backtrack without much effort, etc.
>>
>>322649591
I don't use a health pack if it's going to heal me past full, I'll leave them there to go back to. Unless the enemies are able to respawn or I can't backtrack in which case I give it up as lost. If I die and have to go to a checkpoint that would allow me access to it again I'll take it since I know I can't go back for it.
>>
>>322651390

>classic /v/
Responses like that are not "classic" /v/, they are neo-/v/. Mostly newfags from reddit.

I usually dont use health packs if it "overheals", but I do if I have plenty. My main factor in deciding to use healthpacks suboptimally is the difficulty of obtaining them and my current stash.
>>
Are you below 100% health?
Pick up the health item and drive on.
>>
>>322649591
>survival horror
Save healing for when I'm practically dead, or I have too much shit in my inventory.

>health pack is a pickup item that acts immediately once you pick it up
Too OCD to leave anything behind so I use it immediately, even if I don't need it.

>health pack is in a form of a potion to be used at my leisure
Collect them, reach the end of the game, and never use a single one. I go through the mentality that if I can't beat something without using a potion, then obviously I need to get better, and there will be a boss later that I should save the potion for. Even when I reach the final boss, I still end up not using the potions.
>>
File: CH19-1.png (164 KB, 400x301) Image search: [Google]
CH19-1.png
164 KB, 400x301
It really depends on how the levels are structured.

If it is something that's really linear, like, say Halo CE or Prey, then I'll usually take the healthkit and run no matter what state I'm in. I'd only save it if I know I'm returning to that area (unlikely) or if it's an arena type section with a bunch of enemies.

On the other hand, if the level is a lot more open and requires keyhunts like Douk or Doom, then I'm more likely to save the medkit based on the less than 40% waste rule. I'd usually return later to grab it if I need it because levels in those games are generally smaller in terms of footprint.

Not like I actively think about any of these things in a game - it's all instinct honed over years of play.
>>
Rarity
>almost every enemy drops some sort of health pickup plus there's some strewn about the level
Pick up even if it's +100 and I'm at 99/100
>only one health pickup per two levels
Depends on how I'm doing when I get to it, above 50% and I'll skip it then come back when I'm hurt more
>>
>tfw you accidentally fall down a short cliff enough to cause fall damage
>you land right on a high healing item
>>
>>322657864
>heal doesn't happen instantly, is gradual re-fill
everything's okay
>fill full health bar with high healing item, and then take falling damage effectively making the item pointless
fuck
>>
>2016
>medkits
only shitty ancient games with crappy 2.5D graphics have medkits
>>
Easy solution OP; if health resources are abundant, then a little wastage is fine, if not, then savour them and make use of every hitpoint so only heal 50 hp if you're at 50 or lower.
>>
>Consume a health pickup
>Over-heal to 150 hp
>Drains 1hp/second until I'm at 100 hp
I always liked this design choice, it was a good compromise.

>>322658241
Left 4 Dead is the immediate 'recent' game I think of that has medkits. Most games don't have pick-up-from-the-ground health pick ups now, just the visual object of a medical kit as a healing item isn't something that's going to be going away any time soon.
>>
>>322658241
Vermintide
>>
>>322658241
Wolfenstein TNO and TOB had them at least. They're not completely gone.
>>
>>322649591
Save small, use medium depending on the abundance, use large
As my health gets lower, so do my chances of surviving the next encounter. In most games 10% is chip damage, 20% is within the acceptable limits, and 30% is really pushing it.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.