[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come a lone Serbian manages to out-Fallout Fallout? What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11
File: tho.jpg (307 KB, 1206x613) Image search: [Google]
tho.jpg
307 KB, 1206x613
How come a lone Serbian manages to out-Fallout Fallout?

What is Bethesda missing?
>>
>>322638283
>What is Bethesda missing?
Talent. Passion.
>>
One appeals to the average normal gamer with the intention to sell millions of copies.

One appeals to diehard Isometric neckbeards that absolutely hate change in vidya and live solely off nostalgia. Can you guess which is which?
>>
To be exact, the underrail jack had 2 other fellow helping him out towards end of development

But, yeah
point still stands
>>
>>322638404
true desu family
>>
It doesn't really feel like Fallout desu senpai, its just a post apocalyptic CRPG

Fallout wasn't so cyberpunk, didn't have magic psi abilities (apart from the master), and had a huge Mad Max influence that Underrail doesn't have
>>
>>322638404
Talent I'd agree on, but passion is debatable. Toddler, as much hate as he gets, really truly likes making and playing videogames.
>>
>>322638283
Serbians are a very hearty and determined people OP.
>>
File: lel.jpg (25 KB, 292x245) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
25 KB, 292x245
>>322638538
Whenever I see the word solely now I only see the word lel.
>>
File: 2016-01-02_00034.jpg (224 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-02_00034.jpg
224 KB, 1152x864
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5C1Dj_v_Uk

shit, forgot to post the interview.
>>
>>322638283
I honestly feel like all these faggots playing old school isometric 'indie' remakes are just trying to pretend they were alive and gaming in the golden age of the 90's
>>
>>322638404
I read through the developer diaries, and the passion is ridiculous.

The problem is they have no idea what they're doing.
>>
>>322638849
lelely
>>
>>322638668
The whole crafting aspect difficult combat made the game feel more post-apoc imo

But yeah, Cyberpunk is definitely a major part of the entire thing
>>
>>322638924
And you sound like a gimp who can't handle a game lacking 3D environments.

God forbid people like things.
>>
I think that when a devgroup becomes too big, it's difficult to stop and say
>Wait, this shit in't good
>>
>>322638668
>apart from the master
And all those other batshit loony Psykers that still pop up to this day.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind some Psyker (mini-)bosses in the future.
>>
>>322638924
I think everyone would prefer if it was 3D amazing graphics 4k textures and all that, but it's not. It is what it is. I'll play it for what it is. Maybe Underrail 2 will be 3D.
>>
File: Too-Many-Cooks-540x285.png (250 KB, 540x285) Image search: [Google]
Too-Many-Cooks-540x285.png
250 KB, 540x285
>>322638404
>>322638752
They have both but I blame corporate management and decision-by-committee more than anything else.

A one-man dev team requires infinitely more design focus which results in a tighter and polished product. Fallout 4 feels like 6 or 7 different chefs all throwing their bits into the pot and mashing it together.
>>
It's really quite simple.

Bethesda has a great creative team (writing hiccups not-withstanding of course), but the people responsible for actually turning the output of the creative team into a game are lacking in talent.

If Bethesda fired all of their coders, modelers and animators and hired new, actually competent ones in their place, the quality of their games would skyrocket.
>>
>>322638924
you sound like your projecting
>>
File: For Taylor.jpg (17 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
For Taylor.jpg
17 KB, 184x184
>>322638856
I don't like his accent, so I'll be waiting for people to quote his interview directly and post the most important points.
>>
>>322639474
>great creative team
the story is shit and so is much of the dialogue. show me some of their great creativity
>>
>>322638283
Serb makes beer on his house for his friends.
Bethesda waters down beer so everyone can buy.
>>
>>322639474
The only remotely creative thing about Fo4 is some of the area design and the overall aesthetic. Everything populating those areas is extraordinarily bland and half-assed, though.
>>
>>322640026
>Serb makes beer on his house for his friends.
Is this before or after removing kebab?
>>
>>322639930
Have you ever taken a look at the work their concept artists and audio engineers do? Top notch stuff.
>>
>>322640026
Styg makes homebrewed beer that only a few hardcore fans of the flavor will like
Bethesda makes mass produced cheap shit beer that everyone will try at least once
>>
>>322639650
same but i just can't be assed to listen to 20 minutes of interview
>>
File: rem3.jpg (33 KB, 640x344) Image search: [Google]
rem3.jpg
33 KB, 640x344
never before.
>>
File: remove.jpg (3 MB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
remove.jpg
3 MB, 3000x3000
>>322640026
>>322640256
>Serbs make beer

No they don't. They make plum brandy.
>>
>>322640296
concept artists dont have to worry about glueing thing together thematically. they just have to make sure the visual dont clash when they dont need to. More often than not they come up with creative shit that will never make it because the game doesnt call for them.
any big name company can hire good audio designers. Or just outsource it.
>>
File: 1451932960138.jpg (306 KB, 1206x613) Image search: [Google]
1451932960138.jpg
306 KB, 1206x613
For people who tried finding him
>>
>>322641061
There's so much thematically fitting concept art that just plain isn't realized in the games they make, though.

The art books they release are sad to look at, because they are pretty much windows into what could have been.
>>
>>322638283
Is that the entire team that worked on Fallout?I thought they had shit like 200 people working on every game,you know like Ubi and Ass Creed
>>
File: Dreamboy.jpg (121 KB, 808x880) Image search: [Google]
Dreamboy.jpg
121 KB, 808x880
>>322641547
where's dreamboy?
>>
>>322641716
Todd is dreamboy. Like the head of Bethesda before him, and the one in training now. Master and apprentice.
>>
>>322641975
>Dreamboy is the creative side of Todd, getting abused by his ambitious corporate slave side

2deep4me
>>
>>322638283
Simple, he did it because he wanted to make a good game, not because he wanted to earn money.
>>
>>322639650
You sound mentally crippled.
>>
>>322643646
okay :(
>>
>>322643842
I mean, it seems odd to not be able to listen to someone just because you don't like the accent.

Maybe mentally crippled is too much, but it's definetly shallow.
>>
>>322644165
I've done it before and I'll keep doing it. If it's a movie, class, or radio program I'm particularly interested in, I'll bare any accent.

But sometimes, I'd much rather read the interview than listen to an accent that rubs me wrong.

>shallow
I disagree.
>>
>>322638283
Bethesda does not meet any expectations. They have no standard of quality to uphold.
>>
>>322639650
OK, im Croat (we fought against them in 1991 war so I should kinda hate him but he is really a cool guy and he thinks as most of us "Slavs" do)and I know into the soul what this guy is all about.
Basically, he grew up on Amiga 500,PC, (he dont mind the consoles , he just finds console games not stimulating, they are good for shallow fun but thats it).This guy who interviewed him is an idiot, Balkan is not some 3rd world shithole, he asked all the dumb American questions.
Like, he is surprised how come some Serb even has electricity and the like, or he is really surprised that game is not filled with grammar errors(in Europe, if you dont speak at least 3 languages, you are considered uneducated, its not that youropoors are smart or something, its just a fucking necessity when on every 100miles you hear different language)...
Well, let me spoil shit for you, all those small Balkan countries are really very similar to any USA countries, people like similar stuff,they are dumb in similar ways and brilliant in similar ways, just because their governments made some colossal fuckups it does not mean that average people are like that .
They dont live in caves or anything...Actually, most of them have higher education than people in USA(to the level its funny to listen to an American sometimes, I would be honestly scared to know so little about the past and world in general).
So, anyway, Underrail is an tribute to original Fallout & Arcanum , he likes (Stig) that hero in his RPGs is just a guy who is left to his own devices to survive, he is not an hero, no one gives a fuck about him, he is dropped in this world and it is on him to either sink or swim, you will never be some superhero everyone talks about, and what else... oh, he mentioned that he would like that old school open world aproach (ultima,to a degree fallout1,2 etc..)
Rest is bullshit, purely because yt guy wasted most of the time wondering how come some lonely serb made better Fallout than Bethesda.
>>
>>322638283

One of them just translated his daily life into video game format. The other was made by a bunch of guys who've never even seen a gun before, let alone held or fired one.
>>
>>322638752
I think it's more like they have too much passion. It blinds them, prevents them from seeing faults and accepting criticism, stops them from getting rid of the old and the bad and bringing in real talent. They have big planning and brainstorming meetings and probably draw out a whole bunch of shit they think sounds cool on a whiteboard, and everybody gets all worked up and excited and no one is willing to say no or question their direction. Then they go full steam ahead and make their game and feel proud of themselves when it launches, and the sales figures and popularity and awards justify their entire process and make the possibility of change more and more remote with every success.
>>
>>322645053
/thread
>>
>>322645053
>because yt guy wasted most of the time wondering how come some lonely serb made better Fallout than Bethesda
Thanks croatbro. Your resistance against the Saracens will never be forgotten.

I was hoping the interview wouldn't continue along the vein of the beginning and stick to the game's mechanics, inspiration, and Styg's floating thought's on game design the modern AAA and Indie space, and where CRPGs fit into the games market place in a setting where Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin II could find success against the grain of whatever populates the E3 show floor.
>>
>>322645343
sorry to burst your bubble but Fallout4 methodically shows that Bethesda has new target demographic on its mind with their games.
Young to old adolescents who grew up on either x360 playing COD and Minecraft,

you can clearly see that on design of Deadclaw, its like he went thru Disney filter, teeth are not sharp anymore, claws are less pointy, whole body is more curbed, he walks on all four(he should walk like gorilla or on 2 legs), basically , it is obvious their target audience is 15 to 23 now and not 20 to 45(and up) anymore.
>>
>>322638283
>muh fallout 1/2
stop being an idiot.
>>
>>322646782
What are you on about? If anything, the Deathclaw looks much more dangerous in 4 than the lanky beasts from 1 and 2 with their comically long arms and torso.
>>
>>322646116
im honestly in envy, wanna trade?
we gib you Serious Sam1,2,3,4,Starpoint Gemini 1&2,Gas Guzzlers,The Talos Principle & Road to Gehenna and we get credit for Underrail :3

We should make some alliance and beat Pollacks, we have the talent and we still know what is good in RPG, we should make our real The Witcher 3, anyway, all those original quests are from our folklore. To the point they use Glagoljica in Witcher (Bascanska Ploca).

P.S.
Poles, im just kidding, you just go , girl, and make that Cyberpunk2077, show them Califats what a good RPG is, whole eastern block is proud on you.
>>
File: fo4 fonv deathclaw.jpg (246 KB, 1204x822) Image search: [Google]
fo4 fonv deathclaw.jpg
246 KB, 1204x822
>>322647064
Really, you dont see the difference?
You made me turn on fucking Paint!!!
>>
>>322648724
The only difference is that they gave them more muscle mass and emphasized the lizard aspect.
>>
>>322638283
Mostly knowing what Fallout is all about. Also the ability to create a story without gaping plotholes.
>>
>>322639464

>too many cooks

This. This is what keeps Beth games from being some of the best games ever made.
>>
What's Underrail? I've been hearing a lot of good things about it

Is it like Fallout 2?
>>
>>322638924
Or maybe some people simply prefer games like that, fag.
>>
I'm sure Bethesda could make something along the lines of classic fallout had the team fully wanted to. Not say it would be good but they're obviously capable of it from a technical and financial point of view.

The issue is that they're a team that wants to make games that appeal to a wide audience and there's a skill in that, as much as some people don't want to admit. In the same sense that not everyone can make a "hardcore" experience like Under rail not everyone can make a game that appeals to such a wide audience and be as hugely successful.

That and I'm sure the guys at Bethesda realize they only have so many more games in them before they retire. If a game takes 3-5 years to make and you're in the middle/end of your career then you'll most likely want to make as big of a game as you can that appeals to as big of an audience as you can while making as much money as you can.

The sooner people get over that shit the sooner they can stop being mad at companies that don't seek their approval or money.

Thanks for listening.
>>
>>322645053
>in Europe, if you dont speak at least 3 languages, you are considered uneducated
kek, not if you're from england :^)
>>
The interview was honestly fine, I don't know if you could pull more from his poor english skills

At least he didn't write the game, he had someone hired
>>
>>322650180

Its the new Undertale.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.