[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's causing MMO's to finally die off?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1445921772117.png (622 KB, 383x666) Image search: [Google]
1445921772117.png
622 KB, 383x666
What's causing MMO's to finally die off?
>>
Somewhere along the line, someone decided that they should stop being good.
>>
it happened when they fired the quality assurance testers and spent their money on blow
>>
Oversateration and homogenisation. Themeparks are all anyone is willing to invest in and they are quickly being distilled into a very narrow experience where only the wallpaper changes.
>>
They keep hiring hacks to direct and produce them.
>>
>>322630578
They are too expensive.
To be profitable u need a player base that lasts for months or even years (whether its for subs or a cash shop). On average i can say i easily play at least 30hrs a month and i imagine more dedicated gamers to reach +60hrs. 30-60 hours your average "large" rpg game and those cost anywhere from 50-100 million to develop. An MMO needs to have enough content to keep players entertained for at least a year, thats 6-12x the content of a regular game but much more than that for actual cost when you factor in regular maintanence and continued development. The time for development is also great, likely several years between initial investment and first profits.

I dont blame investors for pressuring devs to casual down the game they are putting up a lot of money. I blame the devs for bothering to take the money knowing they will make a pile of shit.
>>
>>322630578
A lack of kung fu panda
>>
File: image.png (192 KB, 501x445) Image search: [Google]
image.png
192 KB, 501x445
>>322634064
>30 hours a month
>1 hour a day
>>
>>322634064
You sure do have a ton of opinions for someone who is clearly a surface level casual player.
>>
No one can compete with WoW so the only people dumb enough to try are big companies blinded by greed. Big companies are too fucking stupid to do anything original and so every MMO that gets released is just a worse version of WoW. Meanwhile WoW has been getting proceedingly worse and it's only a matter of time until WoW reaches peak shittiniess and actually becomes just as bad as all of the hundreds of WoW knockoffs that all the big retard companies have been producing for the past ten goddamn years.

Then and only then will someone say to themselves "We should try something different" and MMO's will flourish again.
>>
>>322634696
>>322634880
I was surprised with how little i play too. Just cant find the time to play like i used to. I don't even buy more than one game at a time now, knowing itll take me a month to finish one.
>>
>>322634880
see nobody wants to be a hardcore 60 hour mmo fag anymore. that is why genre is dying. grinding for potions and materials just to do the actual content is boring and stupid, and people are finally realizing this. same thing with gear treadmills. there's no appeal.
>>
>>322630578
What the fuck kind of cellphone is that?
>>
Current MMO's
Its gonna be WoW, fuck you, its the best example

>Paid monthly subscription
>Devs still dont think that is enough and shill out cosmetic DLC or boosters
>Devs dont understand balance and alienate old players with patch fixes suited for new players.
>Every fucking MMO tries to copy and paste whatever is "in" at the moment and never come even close.

No Subscription, either box or completely F2P
>business model cant sustain itself
>mediocre content
>few updates
>MAXIMUM SHILLING of DLC, cosmetics and boosters
>Worst playerbase. Uncommunitive mongrels from third world counties that cant afford a subscription

Basically its greed. Greed killed the market inside and out. No company is content with "minimal profit" with incredible quality. It is a fucking business after all. Unfortunately, these people are in charge of all aspects of video creation and distribution.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.