[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do doctors still exist when you can recover from life threatening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: nurse.png (679 KB, 620x877) Image search: [Google]
nurse.png
679 KB, 620x877
How do doctors still exist when you can recover from life threatening injuries with healing items?
>>
So they can prescribe them to you for a lot of money.
>>
who do you think makes the healing items nigga
>>
so they can heal the tanks big fat ________
>>
>>322622554
Pharmacists
>>
To serve people with a doctor/nurse fetish or playing doctor fetish
>>
Where do you think the healing items come from?
Plus, super-powerful instaheals.
>>
>>322621725
Depends on the universe. Potions may be expensive or healing magic intensely tiring.
>>
>>322621725
You wouldnt waste heals in a headache or a cold, would you?
>>
File: 1359304004840.jpg (215 KB, 1600x881) Image search: [Google]
1359304004840.jpg
215 KB, 1600x881
>>322621725
>>322625310
I actually want to one day make an RPG where healing items and even powers only temporarily restore HP (or protect existing HP in the case of healing player skills) with a slow "drain" overtime effect (like pills in L4D), possibly along with some status afflictions like "broken bones", "concussed", etc. and honest to god hospitals where you'll need to stop by for either full medkits (to help with things like the broken bones and other status ailments) or just see a doctor for treatment.

The standard 'trauma inn' would still exist, but they would only restore so much HP (and only if and at the expense of your healing items, basically the idea of being able to more properly apply them combined with good rest).

What else hospitals and inns could do is trigger day/night cycles. (because you'll be in there for a bit)

But, you know, when I type it out that all seems kind of tedious. What are you guys' thoughts?
>>
>>322626107
Depends on balance.
If the combat is too damaging and the potions too expensive, you're gonna have a lot of grinding and bleeding out. Too little and nobody will ever use healing items.
>>
File: 1402722313903.jpg (93 KB, 531x992) Image search: [Google]
1402722313903.jpg
93 KB, 531x992
>>322626309
I see what you mean. Have any other games done something similar? How well did they do it if so?
>>
>>322626473
WoW is a decent example. Health potions are retard expensive and have a cooldown, not to mention for high hp characters not even being able to fully heal -only for emergencies. Players then rest and/or apply bandages between combat.
A temporary recovery isn't really common in games.
>>
File: 1424045790115.png (2 MB, 1430x1073) Image search: [Google]
1424045790115.png
2 MB, 1430x1073
>>322626909
well, naturally I wouldn't be thinking of an MMO, plus I'm not found of the idea of "needless timesinks" in MMOs. As much of an oxymoron that is.

Also
>item use cooldown
I get why this is done (I remember back in Ragnaron Online people tanking just by downing potions) but it still feels so ridiculous sometimes.
>>
How do doctors still exist when you can recover from life threatening injuries with a bed?
>>
>>322621725
Then nurses will have to study healing spells too, and maybe some fighting tactics
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.