[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Decided to pick this up - never played Diablo II.... Can I play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 12
File: Diablo_II_Coverart.png (166 KB, 256x362) Image search: [Google]
Diablo_II_Coverart.png
166 KB, 256x362
Decided to pick this up - never played Diablo II....

Can I play this single player and how best to get ready?

I figured in 2016 I'll try to get into Blizzard games.
>>
heres your reply
>>
No it's online only. And because the game-speed is locked to your internet speed, you can expect either superfast gameplay or stuttery slow shit.

Also watch out for faggots, they have overpowered gear from the dlc
>>
>>322589590
He's playing D2, not D3. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>322589590
>my friend plays necromancer
>skeletons literally do everything
>''yea I'm gonna respec,this is fucking boring
>>
>>322589247

i think d1 is better for the solo player. d2, for me, gets boring act 2 and I have trouble being motivated to go any further.
>>
>>322589247
Yes, you can play single player. You may need to jump through some hoops to get it running on Windows 7+, though. Check the official and unofficial forums for details.
>>
You should definitely read a build guide for your first (serious) character, as it's incredibly easy to make a shit character that will fail in nightmare or hell. As long as you follow a decent build, you can't go wrong. There is literally nothing to fuck up except the build, as all quests etc. can be returned to later. Don't bother following a walkthrough. Just grind a little bit if you're having trouble at any point.

Builds I would recommend for a first character:
>Meteorb sorc
>Skele necro (aka fishymancer)
>Frozen arrow + lightning fury amazon
>Trap assassin
>>
>>322589247
Yes. You can play single player.

If you just play normal you wont have any kind of trouble.
If you want to play nightmare / hell you will have to prepare yourself a bit more with builds / items to be effective since there are more monsters with immunities there.

I suggest you to install version 1.13d and also install D2SE mod manager and use it to play version 1.13c with plugy, which will let you have a bigger stash / inventory / multiple stash pages / online only runewords acitive / online only quests active.

I'll try to give a few more tips in my next post.
>>
>>322591163
>may need to jump through some hoops to get it running on Windows 7

there's a 3dfx glide wrapper that seems to work for most people
>>
>>322592596
continuing,

PlugY also lets you respec your character whenever you want. You can add / remove statpoints at will by pressing alt click and you can reset your skillpoints by pressing a modded button on the skilltree tab.

There is a mod I recommend for people that want to play single player;

>Uber Vanilla LoD:

-This one is based on version 1.13d, so it doesnt support plugy, thus you dont have shared stash or multiple stash pages. There is a way to increase stash and inventory size though.

-Drop is increased 4x, which is nice since its not over the board like other mods.

-Online only runewords are active.

-Online quests are active (one with a slight variation).

-Mercenary has a slot for boots, ring, ammulet, gloves and belt instead of just weapon, helmet and armor.

-Runes can be degraded by placing a rune in the cube and an antidote potion.
>>
File: diablo reactions.png (1 MB, 2096x1036) Image search: [Google]
diablo reactions.png
1 MB, 2096x1036
>>322589247
Shit game RoS is much better
>>
>>322593317
Also.
If you are playing for the first time I´d suggest you to avoid Sorceress since running out of mana constantly can get frustrating.

Paladin and Amazon are great classes just to play through normal difficulty

Summoner necro is OP for PvM, but can be boring if you dont like sitting back and watching an army of skeletons kill everything.

And before I forget.

If you add -w to the shortcut you play in windowed mode.
If you add -act5 to the shortcut you create characters in Act 5 at level 33.

If you plan to go through hell I´d create a Sorceress in Act 5 and skill it in Frozen Orb, Cold Mastery and Ice Bolt. You wont have a problem till you hit Hell.

Also, have a page with all the runewords sorted by level opened in your browser and check it from time to time to see if there is a runeword you like.
Runewords are a core aspect of D2.
>>
>>322593612
underage detected
>>
>>322589247
Play Diablo 1 first.
>>
>>322594031
Unlike you im actually old enough to have played Diablo when it was released
>>
>>322593612
I desire premium bait.
Not this weak shit
>>
>>322593612
>he posted it yet again
it still isnt funny, but shine on you crazy diamond
>>
>>322593612
This
>>
>>322593958
I suggest you to pick a poleaxe with 4 sockets early to create a runeword called Insight (runes Ral - Tir - Tal - Sol in that order) it will give your Act 2 mercenary a mana regen aura for you.

After you hit hell with the Frozen Orb Sorceress respec and make it a lighting sorceress.

Get to the Pit in Tamoe Highlands act one and look for the following:

Monarch (shield), Ethereal Poleaxe (Thresher / Cryptic Axe), Ethereal Armor (Ghost Armor / Wymhide / Archon Plate / Sacab Husk), Armor (Ghost Armor / Wymhide / Archon Plate / Sacab Husk), Flail

With those make the following runewords.

Spirit (Tal Thul Ort Amn) Shield
Chains of Honor (Dol Um Ber Ist) Armor
Heart of the Oak (Ko Vex Pul Thul) Weapon

Infinity (Ber Mal Ber Ist) Poleaxe
Fortitude (El Sol Dol Lo) Armor
With those runewords you can clear any area in the game with your Lighting Sorcreress.
>>
File: D3 vs D2.jpg (193 KB, 653x1204) Image search: [Google]
D3 vs D2.jpg
193 KB, 653x1204
>>
>>322594663
>D2 doesnt have multiple viable class builds

nice b8
>>
>>322594818
>D2 has multiple viable class builds

nice b8
>>
File: 1413011580103.jpg (138 KB, 640x752) Image search: [Google]
1413011580103.jpg
138 KB, 640x752
>>322594818
Yeah it's the same guy who religiously shitposts in every D2 thread because he's buttblasted about people not liking his favourite game.
>>
Last I tried D2 I got bored of my bone necro by act 3. I had done something else and gotten to Diablo, but got bored there. I think the main problem, as I've had with most dungeon crawlers, is the spamming of a primary nuke being too simplistic. That and the drop rates being balanced around trading. What tuning mods are there for D2?

Maybe I should go back to PoE and just rmt myself some decent stuff and have fun with a cool build like cold snap or frenzywhatsit. I quit that because my melee splash dominating blow build just wasnt leeching enough life to switch over to blood magic.
>>
>>322595157
There are AT LEAST 4 different builds per class in D2
>>
>>322593612
RoS is more fun but there's no arguing that D2 isn't designed much better.
>>
>>322593612
While I actually really like what the last patch and the next patch has/will be doing to RoS, and as much as I actually came to really like RoS, D3 just doesn't live up to the fucking amazing great times I had with D2, and the setting/story just doesn't compare at all.

No idea what the fuck is up with Blizzard and their new Hollywood fucking take on everything nowadays, but it's stupid.
>>
File: diablo vs diablo.jpg (336 KB, 1869x687) Image search: [Google]
diablo vs diablo.jpg
336 KB, 1869x687
>>
>>322595562

That's generally what happens when you compare old games and new. I guess you must be jaded by modern indie games to confuse the two.
>>
>>322595562
D2 is literally a saturday morning cartoon
>>
>>322595650
>>322595726
>these two fucking retards don't realize that image is nitpicked to fuck and back and could easily be reversed by removing debuffs from d2 and adding them into d3.
>>
>>322595562
I've always hated mobs changing colors when afflicted with status effects. Probably one of the few things I'm glad modern games completely umped. Just a real fucking ugly aesthetic effect to me.
>>
>>322595562
Diablo 2 has so much better aesthic than Diablo 3. Diablo 3 looks bland as fuck.
>>
File: People-Laughing.jpg (34 KB, 472x315) Image search: [Google]
People-Laughing.jpg
34 KB, 472x315
>>322596160
>Diablo 2 has so much better aesthic than Diablo 3
>>
>>322589247
>Can I play this single player
yes
>and how best to get ready?
Just play, you have to kill the devil
>>
>>322596160
Are you blind?
>>
>>322592538
Don't you get a book for respeccing once in each difficulty now? So he could just play however he wants and respecc when it doesn't work out anymore. Probably more fun than using cookie cutter builds right away.
>>
>>322597969
Yes.
You can also create a Token of Absolution in hell mode by cubing essences to respec your character whenever you want.

You can also play with mods which pretty much allow you to respec on the go as many times as you want. This is highly reccomended for single player since it makes the game more enjoyable.
>>
>>322589247
Yes, you can play single player. And unlike Diablo III, you can play offline. Also, look for D2MultiRes to play in higher resolutions.
>>
>>322594656
>not going orb/light

Very little if anything is both light and cold immune so you'll almost never get stuck.
>>
>>322589247
Would look up some cookie cutter build as a complete beginner or a mod to allow you to respec your mistakes.

They're also going to update D2 for modern systems. Might breathe a little more life into it and people will ladder more.
>>
>>322594663
>D3
>PvP
>>
>>322599115
I think even blizzard has thrown in the towel on that idea, and admitted it should never have been a promise.
>>
File: 1R7XXkJ.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
1R7XXkJ.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>322589590
>>
>>322598987
With the build I posted you break most immunities because of the Mercs Inifnity.

Those that remain immune get killed by the merc in 2 or 3 hits thanks to the fortitude 300% ed

The build I posted is 100% objectively the best build to solo the entire game.
You lose too much damage going orb/light instead of pure light.
>>
>>322594663
>D2's atmosphere is not appropriate for a Diablo game

I know this is bait but holy shit
>>
File: 1395449212911.png (254 KB, 341x500) Image search: [Google]
1395449212911.png
254 KB, 341x500
>>322599115
But Diablo 3 has PvP
>>
>>322589247
Install multires/alternate resolution patch, and play in 1280x720. Beyond that resolution, the game gets broken, and it really doesn't help.
>>
>>322599290
See >>322595562
>>
>>322599337
That absolutely no one touches, period.
>>
>>322599289
Pure light is too gear dependent for someone just starting out, unless he buys shit from a shady Chinese site, he's never going to be able to farm for/trade that equipment in anything resembling a reasonable amount of time...by which point he has probably cleared all of Hell mode.
>>
>>322599337
You mean it had a PVP mode introduced way after its release, when everyone had dropped it already.
>>
>>322590668
ya D2 is pretty dull, it's not that long though and act 3 makes up for it
>>
>>322599337
On the face of it "sure", but no one uses it, no one. Even friends who I play have never used it. Probably because there's no reward and there's no balance toward it (probably why they decided to can it before entering into a WoW Arena like arms race of PvE vs. PvP).
>>
>>322599475
graphics =/= atmosphere

all the acts in Diablo 2 LOD except for act 2 felt like the perfect environments for fighting spawns of hell
>>
>>322599686
>except for act 2
Well some of those egyptian tombs were certainly creepy.

Also fucking arcane.
>>
>>322599523
He is playing offline, not online.

Thats why I suggested playing with a mod that had increased drop chance.

That said, if he was going on bnet. orb/light sorc would be a poor choice.

You either go blizz to do pindle/meph runs or light to collect keys and kill ubers for torchs with a cheap smiter pally.
>>
>>322595157
There are literally no "builds" in D3, all it is is some fotm meta whoring made by reddit, most of the other skills are totally useless
>>
>>322595562
Literal cherrypicking, starting with how that LOD screenshot is in 640x480. And I guess you couldn't even explain why you underaged faggot.
>>
>>322590668
D1 >>>>>> D2 if you're replaying the games' story modes. going down each level of the church and finishing the game in <5 hours is so fucking good. D2 does take a nose dive in act II and alot of people stop at this act since Duriel is a noobstomper
>>
File: 1432840109741.gif (303 KB, 320x289) Image search: [Google]
1432840109741.gif
303 KB, 320x289
>>322599686
>all the acts in Diablo 2 LOD
>perfect environments for fighting spawns of hell
>>
File: 1394917515822.jpg (17 KB, 270x270) Image search: [Google]
1394917515822.jpg
17 KB, 270x270
>>322599605
>D2
I meant Act 2 my bad
>>
>>322599841
Nah, look how the meta changes - I don't like the fact its so easy to pick up build from a website these days that are literally up voted and people just pick the best (which also happened in D2 before your rose tinted goggles kick in) , but the static charge was never picked up during the PTR where most of these builds come from and it was ignored. Completely new build that destroyed the current meta, and its happened in the past.
>>
File: KurastBazaar.jpg (328 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
KurastBazaar.jpg
328 KB, 640x480
>>322599907
>implying they arent
>>
Serious question

Do you think D2 would have looked like it did without the graphic constraints of the time imposed on the developers?
>>
>>322600002
Okay; my point still stands, I wonder if you ever played the game or if you're just here to shitpost D2
>>
>>322599774
My point was, going light right at the beginning of Hell mode would bone him, hard. There is literally no way to farm an Infinity and all the other required merc items right at the beginning of Hell without cheating..which completely defeats the purpose of the game because there's very little worth doing once you've farmed up all the gear you wanted, especially if he's single player only.
>>
>>322599907
We all get that it's hard to see through the pixels, but there are generally pools of blood, piles of bones, and impaled bodies everywhere.
>>
>>322600113
It would have looked like PoE.
>>
>>322600208
>Where did I shitpost on D2

Just saying there is builds in D3 but the majority of the community just waits for the small handful to put them on diablofans. It happened to a degree in D2.
>>
>>322600220
Thats why I suggested him to MOD THE FUCKING GAME.

There is no chance to farm an infinity in single player period if you dont mod it.

Unless you are some kind of sociopath that will play for over 500 hours to get those two Bers you wont ever get that infinity.

But if he mods the game on the other hand he can "easily" get them from the countess with no limit towards rune drops.

I say "easily" because on the mod Im currently playing it would take an average of 30 runs to get that Ber.
>>
>>322600113
Maybe to be honest.

One great thing the guys at Blizzard North did is not forget they were making a video game, and thus made it have video game graphics first and foremost, that make great use of contrast, color and animations to make the action clear even amidst chaos. One such examples are enemies turning green and blue when poisoned or cold.

I'm guessing the general style of it would have remained the same, without trying to make it look "more realistic", which would only have made it "less game-y". Really, the game would only have been less-pixelated, but that's only my opinion.
>>
>>322600597
Reminder bliz north wanted to make diablo a single player turn based game till the Warcraft Developers took it off them and made Diablo what it is.

Reminder that bliz north have NEVER made a good video game

Reminder Hellgate London
>>
>>322592538
>trap
Hnnnng
>>
>Thats why I suggested him to MOD THE FUCKING GAME.
>my build is objectively the best way to play the game
>it only requires you to not play the actual game and mod it to farm an item that most players don't acquire til their high 90's and would then trivialize the entire rest of the game

Hm...
>>
>>322600883
Why would you waste your time playing vanilla single player diablo when its balanced towars multiplayer trading?

You can be playing years before you see the two Bers required to make an Infinity.

Stop being such an autist anon.
>>
>>322601058
Why not play a less gear dependent build that still gets the job done and doesn't require modding the game? The fun of Diablo is farming for that better item, there is literally no other end-game besides that. You're right, he may never find those two Bers if playing only singleplayer, but to suggest he completely ruin his playing experience by outright cheating stuff in right at the beginning is doing him a disservice, you're speaking from the perspective of a player who has already played the shit out of the game, he's just starting.
>>
>>322601058
>>322601281
BTW, some of the most fun I had with D2 was singleplayer before my area had broadband internet available. It was exhilarating finding that first Skulder's Ire after rocking a janky 4 socket P-Topaz serpent skin
>>
>>322601484
I know I'll get meme'd on for this but most "modern" gamers don't want to wait days to get a good item.

Look at how much D3 and WoW have changed to pander to the player and get them kitted out in reasonable gear asap, D3 will give you a complete class set next season by doing the easy conquests (Season goals).
>>
>>322601856
You literally have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
>>
>>322589247
just play path of exile.
>>
>>322603079
Go on, spoonfeed me from your glorious intellect. Where am I wrong?

>Welfare epics
>D3 keeping increased legendary drop rates from a holiday event, have consistently increased them from release

People don't want to play a game for 10 hours to get trash.

>Literally
>>
>>322589247
Play it once on easy for the story, then use the discs as frisbees and hang the box on your wall.
>>
>>322603237
Literally everything you have just said is completely false
>>
>>322603141
Why that game is shit
>>
If you are going to play Diablo 2 and want to beat it all the way, then choose a summoning necromancer. Anything else is extremely gear dependent and thus requires a minimum of tens of hours of grinding for equipment or so slow and weak that you'd be better off just restarting and becoming a summoning necromancer. The assassin, paladin and sorceress can win with no grinding, but it will be absolute hell in hell, and the hell ancients will take hours to defeat, where a single mistake will result in death you also have to constantly reroll the ancients every time you fail because most combinations will be nearly impossible to defeat.
>>
>>322603346
>Legendary drop rates as of Patch 2.0.5 Reaper of Souls and Diablo 3. The increase is 15% per difficulty level above Torment 1; the actual numbers are larger than 15% since it is a cumulative bonus and is factored into the overall legendary drop rate equation.
These figures are no longer accurate, since the D3Y2 buff was made permanent. We do not yet know the exact new figures, but add +100% to everything, at a minimum. See details below:

I'm not even going to bother citing WoW, but Quel'Danas when they introduced the weapons

If most people playing these games weren't happy with those changes they would have tanked long ago (Remember WoW peaked during WotLK). People don't want to spend hours farming for a small chance of a good item, they'd rather throw many items at you with bigger potential rolls.

>Literally
>>
D3 > D2
>>
>>322603587
0/10

Put more effort into your bait next time.
>>
D2 w/ community > D3 > D2
>>
>>322603682
lel, I'm done. People like you should be banned.
>>
>>322603486
So that makes diablo 2 worse than shit?
>>
>>322603789
Diablo 2 is shit yes, its still better than path of exile though.
>>
Not OP but What about Median XL guys? I've never finished it
>>
>>322604156
You are wrong. :-)
>>
>>322604430
>shallow skill tree that inbred retards see as complex because there's a lot of nodes
>skill gem system that homogenizes everything and makes every starting class feel bland
>skill gem system can only be fully realized through bullshit amounts of RNG that the devs mistakenly believe to be difficulty
>99.9999% of drops are literal trash, and even when you find a good drop you have to get the 1 in 2000 chance to fuse it, after spending a few hundred jewelers, then you'll have to chrome it and hope to god your build doesn't need any off colors
>boring as fuck itemization, maybe other than mjolner, uniques don't impact playstyles like say D2's wolfhowl or any of the 1.10 runewords
>garbage atmosphere, leaping clown frogmen, fat orange beetles and dumb peacock lizards that shoot spikes at you
>4 year old mapping system, grind 99 low level maps so you can run a single map that is an appropriate challenge for your character
>make a strong build, it's permatrashed in the next patch, "lol fuk all ur hard work" - GGG

game is pretty bad desu
>>
>>322593958
Yeah D1 and D2 too has much heavier death metal esque atmospheres. D3 and RoS is fucking Disney movie
>>
>>322594121
Shit taste or weak baiting then
>>
>>322600818
>Reminder bliz north wanted to make diablo a single player turn based game till the Warcraft Developers took it off them and made Diablo what it is.
No. They made it action oriented because Battle.net came to be made, and thus they made it multiplayer.

>Reminder that bliz north have NEVER made a good video game
You mean like Diablo and Diablo 2?

>Reminder Hellgate London
Not made by Blizzard North. Others made Torchlight, Guild Wars 2, Firefall, and plenty other games. Others remained at Blizzard.
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.