[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since the RTS genre is stagnating somewhat, what mechanics would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: RTS.jpg (14 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
RTS.jpg
14 KB, 318x159
Since the RTS genre is stagnating somewhat, what mechanics would you add to make them better?

>Have a loyalty mechanic. During a battle, almost every unit has maximum loyalty but everytime they are damaged, they lose loyalty. The less loyalty they have, less chance they listen to your orders. If they haven't died by the time their loyalty reaches zero, they will run off and be uncontrollable. This gives a stategy to make sure you come out with the least ammount of damage instead of bumrushing everything.
>>
>>322588356
More micro, multitasking and faster pacing.

Git gud.
>>
Make it like Sacrifice
>>
>>322588356
>loyalty mechanic
Morale. They might still be loyal, they're just humans and have gotten scared, tired, too old for this shit.
>>
Relic RTS games had Moral which worked sort of like that but without them becoming uncontrollable.
>>
I'll make RTS better by throwing it out and replacing it with GSG or 4x.
>>
There's many RTS games to choose from and would only overlap if done in the same setting.
>>
>>322588356
I want another Battle Realms, with a living resource system.
>>
Make micro irrelevant by giving all unit abilities an AOE. I'd like being good at a RTS game to mean more than being able to move your units in "optimum" ways with a memorized build path.
>>
>>322588356
Bring back the MMORTS. Shattered Galaxy remains the most fun RTS I've ever played.
>>
>>322588356
>stagnating somewhat
I think it's closer to completely dead. We've had something like 2 major RTS releases that I can think of in the past couple of years. Those being Grey Goo and Act of Agression. I don't really consider Total War an RTS game since there's no real base building and I think most people play it for the campaign. It's very non-traditional in any case.

If you just look at Grey Goo and AoA then I think the problem is lore and overcomplicating an already intimidating genre. Over the years I've bought nearly every RTS game there's been. Starting with Total Annihilation, Warcraft II, and Red Alert and ending with Starcraft 2, Kane's Wrath and COH 2. I don't think I've ever seen a game with less interesting factions than Grey Goo and AoA. In Grey Goo you have the humans who at this point have lost all interest in military technology. You have the Beta who have mostly samey looking walkers and light aircraft. And you have the Goo which is goo. There's no more than a dozen units on each faction and they're all boring.
In AoA everyone is a technologically advanced power with only superficial differences. Every faction could be a branch of the US military and you'd believe it.

I don't know exactly how to reinvigorate the genre, but stop being fucking boring for one. Even generic Orcs, Elves, Humans. and Dwarves fantasy is more fun than that shit.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.