[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever tried to read a vidya related novel? I'm not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
Have you ever tried to read a vidya related novel? I'm not expecting a masterpiece of literature but are they at least entertaining?
>>
I'm also curious. I read a translation of Metro 2033 and Metro 2034, but they aren't novel adaptations of the game, vice versa rather.
>>
They're mostly garbage. I tried some splinter cell/Starcraft/halo and mass effect and even in middleschool they didn't do much for me
>>
>>322578686
Gears of War ones. They were neat. Rape camps and shiieettt
>>
>>322578860
Dumbass. Did you think witcher novels were based on the game as well?
>>
>>322578686
They're all pretty shit.
>>
File: Doom_novel_1.jpg (21 KB, 202x330) Image search: [Google]
Doom_novel_1.jpg
21 KB, 202x330
The first two Doom novels are so fucking good.
>>
>>322578686
apparently that Dead Space book received good reviews from those that tried it.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8036916-dead-space
>>
>>322579068
?????
Are you implying I said that the Metro games are the basis for the novels? Or are you just sperging out?
>>
I wouldn't read anything based on Blizzard games. Some of the worst writing you could imagine. Your best bet is reading a novel that was later adapted into a game like the Witcher books.
>>
>>322579245
The Witcher novels are shit as well. Sapowski's strengths lay in writing short stories, but he flounders in novels. So grab the 3 Witcher short story collections, because those are great, but skip the actual novels.
>>
>>322578686
If the novel you're reading is made by the story writers of the game, then it can be good as a bit more flavor if you like the series.

For instance, I liked the lore and setting of Mass Effect 1. Both ME1 and the first 3 novels were written by Drew Karpyshyn, so they were pretty good, they didn't just feel like a cash grab to me.
>>
>>322579068
I tried to read the first two books which are anthologies with adventures of Geralt, I was told that it's necessary to read them to understand the lore and what happens in the novels, and... fuck they are really good, sapkwowski writes really well and it gets never boring.
>>
>>322578686
I'm quite curious about Dead Space novels. Are they good?
>>
>>322578686
I liked that book, remember it being good. Rip Altman.
Apparently it got a sequel too.

The Halo books by Nylund were really good and all others are a mixed bag.
>>
>>322579497
They aren't shit. The short stories are definitely better and the novels are flawed in a lot of ways but if you think they are shit then you don't read enough.
>>
>>322580028
On the contrary, I would say that someone who doesn't think the novels aren't hot garbage needs to read more.
>>
>>322579171
Fucking this. His travels through hell and the planet were breath taking.
Then he got home..and it was kind of okay..until he met the aliens...
Still a great series though
>>
>>322580028
If you think the novels are anything more than just okay then you're the one who doesn't read enough. I bet you only read fantasy and sci-do garbage anyway.
>>
I have the first two Doom books, but never got passed the first one. I should give it another shot sometime.
>>
Actually the diablo books were pretty good for video game novels. they didnt feel like cash grab books at all.
One kinda gave me feels too.
>>
>>322580168
You'd be wrong. If you only read books recommended by /lit/ or whatever top 100 lists you read from exclusively then you'd never know what a truly shit novel is. There is a great span between a great book and a terrible one and the Witcher books are nowhere near the bad end.
>>
the metro books are the only ones I can think of, but yeah the game was based on the books.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1437x1077) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1437x1077
>>322579245
>people think that the witcher books are good

these people probably read like 1 book a year, if that even.
>>
File: Mel.jpg (32 KB, 434x393) Image search: [Google]
Mel.jpg
32 KB, 434x393
>>322579068
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>322579507
its a shame the rest of the ME novels sucked ass

eating anderson's cereal wtf
>>
>>322579712
The first one is pretty great in OPs post. Tells tge backstory of Altman and the background of the religion based on the marker. If you liked Dead Space you'll enjoy reading it.
>>
File: image.png (845 KB, 1084x614) Image search: [Google]
image.png
845 KB, 1084x614
>friend reads bioshock: rapture
>tells me it's amazing and among the caliber of classical literature
>Mfw reading it

I don't know what I was expecting.
>>
>>322581816
it's like Atlas Shrugged with guns.
>>
>>322578686
>>322579187
>>322579712

I own this, it's very interesting and makes something you think means one thing actually means another thing. Like a big fuck you behind the scenes to the characters,
>>
>>322579245
WoW novels are good if you avoid Knaak.

Only SC one I read was Flashpoint which was honestly decent.
>>
File: RE Books.jpg (220 KB, 1216x978) Image search: [Google]
RE Books.jpg
220 KB, 1216x978
I'm not a literature fag, I actually hated reading growing up.

I did read these when I was in high school 10 or so years ago.
The originals were based on the game which was pretty cool if you played them growing up.

Caliban Cove and Underworld weren't based on any of the games so you could paint the scenery in your own head.
>>
>>322584542
well the author apparently is a college professor and an accomplished fiction writer, so I bet he knows how to write cool stories. I was quite skeptical but probably I'll give it a shot since I love Dead Space.
>>
>>322578686
The only 3 video game novels I have read were Halo Reach, the first doom book and one based on Starcraft, but I forgot the name. It was about a reporter who saw the events that unfolded with the Zerg.
>>
>>322585839
if you like dead space, i highly recommend reading it. it gives you details that you will never know from playing the games.
>>
File: 220px-InfernalCity.jpg (18 KB, 220x331) Image search: [Google]
220px-InfernalCity.jpg
18 KB, 220x331
Anyone ever read the elder scrolls novels?

I'm interested to see if they are any good.
>>
>>322586282
I really want to get into elder scrolls lore but I feel like they fucked it up with skyrim so its not worth my time investing into it...
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.