[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game design choices
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: average video game playtester.gif (765 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
average video game playtester.gif
765 KB, 500x281
Long story short, I decided to start working on a game of my own. There's been a lot of stuff to consider and I've looked into what kinds of design choices would suit the theme of the game.

One thing that I keep coming back to is items and populating the game with them. When I say items, it's shit like weapons, armour, special shit, etc..

What do you faggots think would be better:
>Items are randomly generated at the start of each game, stored in a big list and placed throughout the world, making everyone's experience different and walkthroughs for "best shit to get" useless
>Items are randomly generated by me to create a fixed list of shit in the game before it all gets compiled
>Items are randomly generated every time a save is loaded/game is started, and only the items on your character at the time of saving are kept
>>
Just stop, you will never make it.
>>
>>322566668
Been telling myself that since I started, so I keep going with it.
>>
>>322566439
Don't crowdsource your game design, it'll turn out shit.
>>
They would all get abused to shit so people get their favorite weapon at the very start and don't have to play with inferior shit
>>
Why randomly generate something like that
>>
What kind of game are you trying to make?
>>
>>322566804
This is some reverse psychology stuff, eh?
Anyway, item/loot system are entirely dependent on the genre. A normal Jrpg should have fixed items, a roguelike needs random ones.
>>
dont make games if you need 4chan to design every step for you
>>
>>322567428
>stop discussing videogames reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>322566892
While this might be the case, I'm just unsure of how to handle the item generation. Everything else in the game is more or less already sorted.

>>322566913
I can understand this. There's not going to be any kind of level or item progression, though. If someone comes across something good, they could use it from the start anyway.

>>322567084
Try coming up with hundreds of items with small variations like you'd find with soup in a fucking supermarket. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.

>>322567239
Not to really give much away, but think of the game like Mass Effect meets Diablo. It's not quite an RPG, but there are small stat elements in it.
>>
>>322567428
This is the only step that I'm getting 4chan to decide for me. If I wanted 4chan to design a game, I'd go to the nearest special school and give them tins of paint and hammers.
>>
>>322567520
if there's no item or level progression, how is the game progressing? Are the levels themselves designed by you?

And what's randomly generated on the weapons, is it just some basic stats added to a predesigned weapon archtype with a certain moveset?
>>
>>322567825
Levels are hand-made. Lots of story content. Weapons are almost purely cosmetic, but different damage types tied to what kind of weapon/ammo it has. A laser weapon is going to be good at piercing armour that has little shielding from energy. A rifle will do well against low-armoured targets. A coil gun will hit with more force than a rifle and push targets around. The damage will centre around force applied.
>>
>>322568314
sounds like randomly generating weapon placement across the game would heavily change the difficulty of the game depending on what enemies are up next, is that something you want?
>>
File: classy yogurt man.jpg (41 KB, 568x726) Image search: [Google]
classy yogurt man.jpg
41 KB, 568x726
>>322568801
There'd be very little difference between enemies. Health is uniform across the board (with a few exceptions). Enemies will use the same weapons and armour available to you.

It would make for a unique challenge if RNG decided to give you a big middle finger. Difficulty levels would be AI dependent instead of damage sponge levels.
>>
Come on, /v/, where's the fucking discussion?
>>
>>322569117
Haven't seen this guy in awhile.
>>
>>322570490
We can't make the decision for you and you didn't give us enough information on the game for us to give you any kind of helpful input.
>>
File: Why_not_both.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Why_not_both.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
>>322566439
>Items are randomly generated at the start of each game, stored in a big list and placed throughout the world, making everyone's experience different and walkthroughs for "best shit to get" useless
>Items are randomly generated by me to create a fixed list of shit in the game before it all gets compiled

You could randomly generate items on game world creation, but also use a fixed list of items (could be "legendary" type items, but they don't have to be superpowered) scattered around the world to give you more control over difficulty.
>>
>>322570740
Alright then, so to recap:
>Game isn't quite RPG, but does use a few stat elements (armour might be strong or weak, or have decent shielding from energy weaponry)
>Maps/levels hand-made
>No level/stat progression, health is uniform with exceptions (shit like bionic limbs can take more of a beating)

Do you need more information?
>>
>>322571192
Literally tell us everything you've thought out in like five paragraphs or less.
>>
>>322571147
This is something I had thought about. It'll already be used for shit like keys, unique collectibles (fluff) and items needed in missions. A few randomly generated items to give some history to, maybe? Shit that once belonged to someone or a research project might be nice.
>>
>>322571454
It's more work in the end but it also helps you keep both replayability and, immersiveness (lore, really), and balance in mind
>>
>>322571343
In terms of how the game progresses or do you want a synopsis of what the game's about?

>>322571623
Not much more work in the end. Constants like the collectibles and quest items would be stored in a list much the same. Adding a bunch of other shit to it isn't going to be difficult.
>>
>>322572094
Which type of item generation is best is entirely dependent on what the gameplay is like and how you traverse the world. If we don't know either of those then we can't help you.
>>
>>322572502
Gameplay would be similar to the old Fallout and Diablo games, minus stat and level progression. Think of it as though everyone is the same level, and stats have almost no benefit except for moving faster, pushing objects around easier, or protecting youself from damage better. Movement is orthographic (not isometric), and the levels/maps take place in fixtures like research labs, asteroid bases, space stations, etc.. Travelling between them would be a star map with nodes similar to how FTL handled moving through sectors. Nothing fancy in that regard. I had considered segments of ship-to-ship combat, but I feel as though that won't work out well.

That enough info?
>>
>>322573347
>similar to the old Fallout and Diablo games
So you don't actually have a grasp on what the gameplay would be like then?

You should think about this for the next year if you're serious and then get back to us if you still need help.
>>
>>322566668
>just got the motivation to continue working on my pet project game for the first time in half a year
>come to the same realization that I do every other time that the game is too ambitious for a one man dev team

Life hurts...
>>
File: cast-of-whose-line[1].jpg (17 KB, 320x239) Image search: [Google]
cast-of-whose-line[1].jpg
17 KB, 320x239
>>322573347
the game where the classes are made up and the gear doesn't matter
>>
>>322574046
Maybe I just suck at trying to get what I'm thinking across.

>>322574431
Not even classes, m8. If I wanted space magic, I'd make space magic.
>>
>>322566439
>Items are randomly generated every time a save is loaded/game is started, and only the items on your character at the time of saving are kept

I prefer this.
>>

Wouldn't this mean that the item stats have to be scaled to the player's level?
Because if it ain't it will make the game a broken RNG-fest.
You also have to somehow make it so "legendary" items doesn't break the game if the player manages to get one early on.
>>
>>322576452
There's no player level progression or level-ups. Items that add stats do so in such small amounts that it's not like X item has +20 of Z stat compared to Y item's +5 of Z stat. The only things that have those kinds of variances in value are armour pieces, but that's more to make it look like it's going to have a massive effect. Chances are that the player won't notice any major difference at all between two pieces of armour like that. Any player stupid enough to think they can run into oncoming fire is going to get mowed down regardless.

>>322576337
Is there any reason why you prefer this kind of system? Obviously there are advantages in terms of having a shitty first hand could be re-dealt with an amazing second hand, but it could also be worse. It could easily be abused if stat changes were significant, but they won't be.
>>
>>322577246
You can reload an item until you find the one you want.
>>
>>322577246
This >>322578151
You can just reload until you get the best weapon in the game.

Note: Because you can do this, people WILL do this.
>>
>>322577246
>There's no player level progression or level-ups.

Then what would be the main source for increasing stats?
>>
>>322566439
>>322571147
IMO This is a good solution

>>322576337
This may not end well. Possibility of running into the same items each time you turn on the game. makes finding those last bit of good items for your build nearly impossible.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.