[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_mhvifsdNSM1rw70wfo1_500.png (129 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhvifsdNSM1rw70wfo1_500.png
129 KB, 500x500
>>
>>322566428
Why do so many games have magical forests that send you back around in circles? Is this a common thing in Japanese folklore or something
>>
>>322566774
>Is this a common thing in Japanese folklore or something
More common in Irish and English, but yes. Especially English. They had like half of their island cut off as "big spooky forest" until the French kicked their asses.
>>
>>322566774
Name a single other one besides Super Mario RPG.

I'm curious.
>>
>>322566934
Riveria comes to mind quickly
>>
>>322566934
Donkey Kong 64 Fungi Forest
>>
>>322566934
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheLostWoods
>>
>>322566774
Forests were pretty easy to get lost in back in the old days. Not only were they bigger but you didn't have a phone and there was no chance you could see the lights from houses and cities in the distance once it got dark. There is a condition my granny told me about were you think you're going the right way but you're actually doing the opposite.
>>
File: linkshocked.jpg (26 KB, 543x960) Image search: [Google]
linkshocked.jpg
26 KB, 543x960
>>322566774
>>322566924
I'm more interested in the trope about a flesh-eating fungi eats someone's flesh down to the bone in the forest as soon as they look away or a variation of that. Obviously there are flesh-eating fungi out there, and fungi are generally going to be found in forests, but it shouldn't be quite THAT prevalent.

>Doctor Who (THAT episode)
>Zelda (Stalkids and Grog)
>Harry Potter (has the Shade in that book about beasts which is similar)
>Life of Pi (I haven't seen this movie but my friend says it's in it)
>MAYBE Samurai Jack?

I have a supergenius history buff friend who says that it's rooted in Norse mythology, but what story he doesn't know. This is interesting to me as a subscriber of Edgar Cayce, because the Source says in his readings that the truest chronicle of the Universe's history is beyond all doubt, Norse mythology. It's also slightly disturbing, because if it's based on something real that we are still channeling subconsciously through our fiction.... then what was it?
>>
>>322570330
>Stalkids
I thought they just die and their flesh rots away naturally.
>>
>>322566924
They were druids you fucking memetard, it's a completely different thing.
>>
>>322567459
I expected more
>>
>>322570697
I think we're talking about two different creatures. I'm using the canon name of "Skull Kids" because I hate that name.

But Fado says that Grog became Stalfos. He didn't have time to rot because as far as the player knew he wasn't even dead yet. Meaning he instantly died and was eaten by Boes or something (this makes sense to me because they're spores and you need an antidote made of mushroom to save him).

I don't know how Stalbabies or "Stalchilds" as they're known in english are made, but I assume they are not real people, but rather bones coming together and making a new creature, that's not necessarily evil. Just mindless. Until Ganondorf takes over and makes them all disappear.
>>
>>322566934
Golden Sun
>>
>>322566934
Onimusha

Legend of Kay
>>
File: pokestache.com_19594_1408028231.jpg (105 KB, 932x820) Image search: [Google]
pokestache.com_19594_1408028231.jpg
105 KB, 932x820
>>322571457
Actually I suppose "Skull Kid" isn't that bad of an OC name. They're kids obsessed with hiding their faces with skulls after all.

Now I wonder where this trope came from.
>>
>>322566934
FFVII
>>
>>322566924
An Irish horror game would be nice, Banshees aren't in enough games, there is a lot of folklore here and I feel like a good game could be made. Although there are like no Irish game devs so it would be indie trash or American shit with terrible accents.

The Witcher Wild Hunt is the only game that has got Irish accents done well recently
>>
>>322567439
Fungi Forest doesn't loop back on itself and turn you around, ignoramus
>>
>>322570330
do you have any more information on this? i am quite interested.
>>
>>322576835
What in particular? Other examples of the flesh-eating fungus? No. I was hoping other anons provided.

As far as Norse mythology and Cayce go, I am a never-ending seeker of truth in that regard; but I only know a lot about the latter and not much of the former (outside of what everyone else knows, Yggdrasil, Mjolnir, Thor, etc.). I think Zelda is very Norse-inspired in other ways though. But it's not something I'm willing to share on 4chan yet. It's a project in the making. If you leave your email though, I'll keep you in the loop.
>>
>>322570330
Which episode?
>>
File: frog.jpg (14 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
frog.jpg
14 KB, 400x300
>>322577643
Series 4. Episode 8 and 9.

You've watched everything before then and are not just jumping to an episode just because of a relevant interest, though right?
>>
>>322577504
[email protected]
>>
>>322577504
Could I send you my email also? I am a nerd interested in rare Norse lore as well.
>>
>>322580104
Sure.
>>
>>322580340
Cool, thank you. It is [email protected]

Just as a question is this something more about the accuracy of Norse mythology or how several mythologies all carry eerily similar stories.
>>
>>322580687
Sorry that's [email protected] I am not just jessyhotfire as I typed that I just typed.
>>
>>322580773
Sorry I am shit. I tried to fix that as soon as possible before you sent it to whoever has that other email.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.