[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So did Valve ever specify what the fuck happened exactly with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1
File: valve.jpg (547 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
valve.jpg
547 KB, 500x378
So did Valve ever specify what the fuck happened exactly with the data breech?

Will we be getting a free game(s) as compensation?

Will Valve ever use the billions of dollars they make each year to have competent customer service?
>>
What data breach?
>>
>>322555603

On Christmas Day, users could see account and personal data of other steam users.
>>
I don't know, but I found $50 from steam added into my bank account, and I have no idea how or why that would be. But since I'm poor I'm okay with that.
>>
>>322555561

>So did Valve ever specify what the fuck happened exactly with the data breech?
caching error, shit has a tendency to happen when a server receives a shitload of requests
>Will we be getting a free game(s) as compensation?
considering there's zero concrete evidence that anything was lost, no
>Will Valve ever use the billions of dollars they make each year to have competent customer service?
right after they release Half Life 3
>>
http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-apologizes-for-steams-troubled-christmas/
>>
>>322555667
I guess it's technically a data breach, though it was just a caching issue. You were only able to see the name and last digits of any eventual credit card of a few select people.
>>
>>322555561
>So did Valve ever specify what the fuck happened exactly with the data breech?
breach. and yes there was a blog post.
>Will we be getting a free game(s) as compensation?
fuck no, you manchild.
>Will Valve ever use the billions of dollars they make each year to have competent customer service?
they're raking in money and even though redditors like you bitch and moan you still give them money, so no.

you're a fucking idiot if you think you deserve anything from that cache file problem.
>>
>>322555806
Half-life 3 confirmed? Do you have a source?
>>
>>322555667
>>322555603
it wasnt a breach, it was a cache file error. stop believing everything you read on reddit, fucktard.
>>
>>322555985

Confirmed for 10 seconds after the heat death of the universe

Source: any kind of rational thought process.
>>
Nah, they released a statement but it was to gamespot I think, some journey site anyway. No official outlet which is weird.

Doubt we'll be getting any compensation but we should've got an apology from them.

Unfortunatly Valve has one of the fiercest fanclub's and any attempt to bring any light to the recent data breach is almost always met with "it wasn't even that bad" etc. Why people love that company so much is beyond me, the more they fight on Valve's behalf the more likely shit like this will happen.
>>
>>322556069
>A data breach is the intentional or unintentional release of secure information to an untrusted environment.

It's by definition a data breach you autistic 9fagger.
>>
>>322556152

No, it isn't, Reddit.

Fuck off.
>>
>>322556128
Just noticed they did actually apologize, oh well I was wrong on that.
>>
>>322556326
Yes it is, 9gag. I posted it right there, you just have to pull your eyes out of your hairy asshole and read it.
>>
It was a caching error you shitposter. Goddamn kill yourself
>>
>>322555953
>fuck no, you manchild.

We deserve compensation.

1. It caused emotional distress as Valve poorly communicated the issue to users.
2. It was very inconvenient as I had to rush from a family gathering to get back home and check my account and cancel the credit card I had on Steam.
3. Our data was accessed by people who shouldn't have that information. If anything, Valve should get hit in the wallet so they work to not allow it to happen again.
>>
>>322556128

>Why people love that company so much is beyond me

It's a natural tendency for people to stick around places they know, even when the place does bad things.

People still use PSN after all the leaks, people still shop at Target after all those CC# thefts, people still vote for politicians in their party despite that politician having interests counter to their own, and people still smoke cigarettes despite the well-known knowledge that they cause fatal cancers.
>>
>>322556453
>compensation
>WAAAH I COULDN'T ACCESS STEAM NORMALLY FOR AN HOUR
drink bleach
>>
>>322556453

Stop being an entitled bitch and get a job if you can't afford to pay videogames.
>>
data breach = cache files

I bet you think DDOS is hacking
>>
>>322556560
>>322556561

Wow.

You completely avoid the points I raised and simply hurl insults and memes.

I guess the Reddit invasion is real.
>>
>>322556684

But you are the redditor in here, m8.
>>
>>322556684
Get a job, you bum.
>>
>>322556326
>was it a data breach?
yes
>was it a result of a hack?
no
>did unlicensed recipients get enough data to steal money/identity fraud people?
no

But it's still a data breach.
>>
>>322556626
>unintentional secure data release is not unintentional secure data release

Hi leddit
>>
>>322556453

1. I was mildly annoyed, and mildy anxious
2. No it wasn't. Rushing home was something you chose to do. I went and continued cooking for Christmas lunch.
3. If Valve or their caching partner hasn't contacted you, then "our" data wasn't accessed.

Go and climb a wall of dicks.
>>
>99.9% of these posters who think they know what they're talking about dont even know what a cache is
>>
> say anything slightly critical about valve on /v/
> /v/alve defense force swarms in

How's that Stockholm Syndrome working out for you faggots?
>>
>data is suddenly not data when it's cached and leaked unintentionally

Sure is reddit in here, keep rimming valve
>>
>>322556790
Fuck society and fuck helping pay Ford the degeneracy it is responsible for.
I am pirating every game I can and putting up as many torrents as I can until the game companies fall and the new age is ushered in.
We must destroy the machine, anon.
It is the only way to rid the world of the blight on society that is the neet.
If you're wondering why I'm even on a videogame board it's because I like Halo threads.
>>
>>322555771
check transaction log or stfu
>>
>only thing that gets leaked out is the last 4 digits of you card number, your email address, home address, and phone number

What's the big deal anyway? No one can use that information against you. Plus it's public info anyway.
>>
>>322557330
The only way to escape the machine is to kill yourself.
>>
>>322555771
Oh, that was me, I was laundering some money. If you want to send me a game as a thank you, I'll be fine with that.
>>
>>322557473
Post yours right now if it's not a big deal.
>>
>it's okay when VALVe does it!
>>
>>322557086
>Valve does something wrong
>Shitposting forever

nothing even happened get a job
>>
>>322557515
Nah, I'm going to keep existing to spite you.
I laugh at your misfortune.
Hahahaha
>>
>>322557704
Hello Reddit
>>
Word is that all steam users will eat a fat wet Gabe turd.
>>
What data specifically was sent unintentionally? As far as I can tell, billing address, CC and all of that requires an additional login?
>>
>>322557704
>calling out Valve on their fuck up = shitposting

:/
>>
>>322557810
Calling out what? an unintentional caching error? yeah you're a real warrior for justice.
>>
>>322557780
The checkout screen too
>>
>>322557915

It still resulted in a breach of user data fuckboi.

>current year
>it is literally okay when valve does it

TOP KEK
O
P

C
U
C
K
>>
>>322557915
>calling out sony for data breach is ok
>calling out valve isnt

Hello Reddit
>>
>>322557780
The only thing anybody could have seen without an additional login was email address.
>>
>>322557915
How much is Gabe paying you?
>>
>>322557810
>Calling out Valve on a Bhutanese yak herding forum
>>
>>322556453

>go to subway
>order $5 footlong meatball marinara sub
>sandwich artist goes to ring me up
>fill out subway rewards card so I can get some free subs
>sandwich artist loses the card I filled out with my email address, name, and home address
>freak out and demand free subs for life

That's how retarded you sound like right now.
>>
>>322556453
Your salty tears are delicious.
Please feed us more.
>>
>still falling for the giving your personal info to companies meme
>not being a member of the prepaid master race
>2016

No company has a 100% security, it's your own fault for this.
>>
I work for a giant company that's basically built around trust. If we had a legit data breach our stock would probably take a nosedive and customers would likely look elsewhere.

I think the big mitigating factors are that critical stuff (passwords, CC numbers, permanent account access / takeover, etc.) wasn't exposed, and due to the nature of the bug there wasn't a good path to a bulk amount of data to be leaked (was just one incorrect account details per account). It's still bad, but not class-action lawsuit bad (if the ToS even allowed that).
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.