[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey bros, is The Secret World any good? I'm a deeply depressed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12
File: The Secret World.jpg (32 KB, 462x260) Image search: [Google]
The Secret World.jpg
32 KB, 462x260
Hey bros, is The Secret World any good? I'm a deeply depressed NEET that's interested in a meaty game. I would get Witcher 3 but I hated the combat. TSW is on sale for $23 dx edition but I'm really not sure if it's worthwhile. I haven't played any other MMOs but I generally enjoy RPGs.

Anyway, any thoughts on The Secret World? Is it grindy trash like most MMOs from what people say?
>>
File: Totalbiscuit.png (11 KB, 399x494) Image search: [Google]
Totalbiscuit.png
11 KB, 399x494
Bumping with an entertaining drawing of Totalbiscuit. Sadly I don't think The Secret World is popular enough, considering no one has voiced any input. Can anyone share an opinion on the best MMOs out there and if TSW is any good? I heard the game had meaningful storytelling which I'm definitely a fan of.
>>
TSW is all right. Parts of it can be grindy, but the solo experience is pretty good, mostly because the story is fairly solid, though it has some dips near the middle.
>>
Amazing singleplayer game trapped in a subpar mmo with shitty combat
>>
>>322529775
Story is good, investigation missions are too awesome for this game.
>>
>>322531728
This. Combat might be kind of clunky, but setting, story and character development are top tier. Some of the investigation missions can give a headache to a classic point and click adventure games fanboy. And you can fight notCtuhulu.
>>
I really wish they'll make a singleplayer version of it some time later. With NVN-like coop
>>
>>322532147
how is it shitty combat? Its one of the best combat styles I have seen in an mmo.
>>
>>322533079
Because it doesn't feel good.
>>
>>322529775
great game, awesome investigation missions (no cheating for maximum fun)

sadly, it's mostly a singleplayer game turned into a multiplayer game
>>
>>322533347
different strokes I guess but it always felt satisfying with the build I made.
>>
>>322533574
What's the best build for soloing?
>>
>>322533079
It's probably less actiony for a lot of people and the animations aren't that smooth in transistions.
However, it has excellent skill build depth. There are like what, 900 abilities? You can mix all those into a build you desire. Like how Guild Wars 1 used to be.
>>
If they'd just made it singleplayer instead of turning the concept into an MMO we'd have had the spiritual successor to Vampire the masquerade bloodlines
>>
I thought the combat was pretty good, and I liked mixing and matching talents and abilities.
>>
>>322533547
>awesome investigation missions

They aren't that awesome. I don't think I could solve a single one without using a guide.
>>
>>322533889
It's very much singleplayer anyway, aside from dungeons and Tokyo.
>>
can someone give me a link to how endgame gameplay is like? I don't know what's what and any videos I find is "HEYYYY GUYSSS" tier.
>>
>>322534148
Nah you're stuck with multiplayer oriented combat, mobs and mission progression

If they went full on singleplayer it'd be much more fleshed out as an rpg
>>
>>322534020
really? I'm an avid fan of such games, sherlock series etc. and I managed to finish every investigation quest I started except I think for one(I cant remember which one, it was years ago)

I specifically bought the game for those missions tho, I don't give a fuck about the combat in the game :3
>>
As a single-player game, how long is the "campaign"?

I like the black watchmen and I hear there is a lot of similar themes in TSW.
>>
>>322533810
I like the pistol elemental build.
>>
>>322534397
longer than actual singleplayer games for sure
>>
>>322529775
I enjoyed the fuck out of it, and the Issue storylines are pretty good. I didn't experience any grind, I went full autismo with a couple of friends and fully doing every main and story quest in the first area overleveled the fuck out of us for the next one, but just doing the main story and the main missions will get You the points you need for your build in good time. Its a pain in the dick finding groups for dungeons without having/making friends, but the dungeon boss fights have some fun mechanics. Its an excellent buy on sale if paranormal shit Interests you but I wouldn't buy it at full price.

Illuminati best, fuck templarfags

Tl;dr picked the deluxe edition it up for halloween sale, no regrets.
>>
>>322533864
I dunno man the active dodging was a huge step up from classic mmo's where you basically stand around waiting for a reticle then you move.
>>
>>322534397
It depends on when you consider it to be completed. The basic story? Probably around 12 hours. Your complete faction story and personal story, yeah that's probably gonna take a while.

Mind you that the game no levels, so you can technically finish it without grinding until you hit venice, at which point you probably need a group for the Tokyo story stuff and they're pretty elitist.
>>
>>322533079

It suffers the same problems that wildstar suffered. They wanted to do a combat system that wasn't target enemy, click on ability, wait to click again. They wanted to make it dynamic, dodging enemy attacks, make some abilities high risk vs. reward. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I love the game, bought a lifetime sub back when it came out. I'd definitely give it a shot, OP.
>>
>>322534856
>The basic story? Probably around 12 hours.

you don't even leave the first island in 12 hours, what are you talking about?
>>
>>322534554
Illuminati headquarters is fucking funny

>that muffled techno music in the background and those abstract announcements from the speakers
>>
>>322533810

I kicked all sorts of shit with a blades/assault rifle build. I could do tons of content, specialized in group encounters, since I could build combo points up on multiple enemeis with weak AoE's then tab target each to spend the combo points on strong AoE's. However, single target hard hitting enemies can still be a hassle, would have to kite and rifle drain heal my way through them.
>>
>>322529775
>hated the combat.
i don't think you will find TSW's combat to be any better it is a tab targeting mmo after all.

but to add to what others in this thread have already said the investigation missions are some of the best quests in any mmo i have played.
>>
>>322535038
Using the term island is awful in your context. The first "island" stretches over multiple maps, which are very quickly finished though if you only follow the story mission.

Solomon island takes like 6 hours or less, if you took longer than that then you're just a shitstain who doesn't know how to play a mmorpg.
>>
>>322535065
I'll never pick Illuminati again, it's literally the meme faction. Your story involves in you listening to your boss spouting dumb 2005 meme shit.
>>
>>322533864
A big problem with the combat is that a lot of the skills are pretty much the same thing.
You can get a hammer skill that does 122 damage to a single target, 200 when you have no hammer points.
Of you have a rifle skill that does 112 damage every time but it works at a distance and also heals you for 40% of the damage you deal.
But finding good passive skills is the best. I'm using hammers along with shotgun and chaos skills that let me deal extra damage as my hammer procs weaken. I get to use my free attack to lower the enemy's attack/defense without losing any damage. My side is elemental magic but I have a skill from deep in pistols that lets my lightning tree instantly purge 9 buffs in a pretty big AoE around me which really fucks up vampires and wendigo and shit.

>>322534656
At the time I thought it was so stupid that Wildstar was trying to sell itself on that. The Secret world was already way ahead of them. Even though hardly anyone is around to run them, the dungeons are so good with complicated fights right from the start. You don't have to wait until the end game before having to deal with interesting mechanics.
>>
>>322535707
>you only follow the story mission.

straight lining doesn't really work in a game where you constantly need stronger gear to survive.
>>
File: FUCK im poor.jpg (36 KB, 685x343) Image search: [Google]
FUCK im poor.jpg
36 KB, 685x343
>>322529775
>finally decide to give it a try
>those dollar prices

does the ultimate version at least come with all dlc?
>>
>>322535918
yeah it really actually is the meme faction

If I ever reroll, I'll try Dragon, like I was originally planning to
>>
Like others have said, amazing fucking game but should have been made singleplayer or small group coop. Setting, story, lore, and voice acting is top notch. Dungeons are actually really good if you can find people to run em, tell some pretty good stories.

However the combat is really boring typical mmo tier and the builder/consumer system is rather meh. Also the skill wheel sounds amazing, but far too many of the skills are borderline identical and boring.

I played it for about 350 hours, beat the storyline and got QL10 blues/purples and called it good. I can barely touch it now, prob doesn't help that any friends I got to try it played it for a week max and than dropped it.
>>
>>322536473
Yes you only need to buy that one
>>
File: 1448420882830.gif (808 KB, 480x291) Image search: [Google]
1448420882830.gif
808 KB, 480x291
IMHO if Funcom were larger and had a bit more money, I could see the game being on FFXIV's level. I think the game's biggest weakness is balancing the amount of solo and party content with there not being a huge amount of dungeons even though the bosses are some of my favourite of any game M-muh Polaris and Ankh NM and the gearing is pretty simple now but still allowing a decent amount of options.

The solo content is probably the best on the market, with Tortanic being the next.

ILLUMINATI MASTERRACE
>>
>>322534554
>implying Templars don't have the best clothes
>>
Not OP but I will try it.

How dead is the community?
>>
>>322536473
Comes with everything but the most recent issue, and You get 1200 free Funcom points for doing x number of missions which is exactly the amount you need for the most recent one.
>>
>>322529775
It's actually really good, though it would have worked far, far better as a single player RPG.
>>
>>322536787
The vast majority of people hang around the hub world and spam invites for end game dungeons.
Usually you'll find a couple people running around and it's not too hard to find a group. But it's much harder to find enough people to run dungeons.
>>
>>322537097
it would have worked far better as a single player adventure game
>>
>>322536754
Fuck you they do look good, but i love my shitty gas mask
>>
>>322529775
It's a good game, but an MMO.
A combination that doesn't work, which is why it failed financially.

Good and online don't go together.
>>
File: Slayer.png (247 KB, 749x455) Image search: [Google]
Slayer.png
247 KB, 749x455
>>322536754

Illuminati look the best when not going for gas mask chic.
>>
>>322536754
>Using deck clothes
>>
>>322536983
>>322536706
bought it, just need to somehow clear 12gb now
>>
>>322537712
Illuminati outfits are all variations on "suit"
>>
>>322538307

Need to look your best when taking care of business.
>>
>>322538307
Gotta look professional when kicking notCthulhus ass.
>>
File: 1420498123634.jpg (188 KB, 897x1000) Image search: [Google]
1420498123634.jpg
188 KB, 897x1000
>>322534554
>Not being a chaste and righteous crusader fighting against the evils of both heaven and hell
>>
>>322538483

>chaste

I'm sure most of you are half the way there anyway. You may have to up the whiteknighting tho
>>
File: a6652b31.jpg (107 KB, 745x454) Image search: [Google]
a6652b31.jpg
107 KB, 745x454
>>322538394
>>322538443
>implying Templars don't outdo then at their own speciality
>>
>>322538673

A cool set of threads, whether you are performing an exorcism or diddling alter boys.
>>
A reminder to anyone that is thinking of picking this up, under fist weapons is a passive skill called salt the wound. This applies a small heal every time you hit an enemy. If you have fast AoE attacks, slot the passive, you'll heal yourself enough that you can probably take on large groups of minion level enemies without breaking a sweat, helpful for the early game where they like to swarm you with weak zombies.

Also, head to the haitian market in London. There is a demon there that sells tacos. They provide an excellent out of combat heal over time. You can put the tacos into your crafting window to make nachos, a weaker HoT that you eat faster.

When you finish the first quest that brings you to the first quest hub, you'll get to choose a lvl 1 blue weapon. There is a quest that you can get right afterwards, the crafting intro, that'll let you craft a lvl 1 blue weapon, so you can get yourself some decent gear right from the get go.
>>
>>322539384
The Ultimate Edition gibs you free starting gear that's leagues better than the stuff you get from that though.
>>
File: 1336368624519.jpg (17 KB, 226x219) Image search: [Google]
1336368624519.jpg
17 KB, 226x219
Man, i really wanted to like it.
But something seemed off since the first time i played it.
The story is kinda good, it has its lowpoints, and if you're a spergy fuck about these things then they will ruin the experience for you, but in the overall it is a nice game.
The combat is clunky as fuck, but it mainly depends on what style\magic\weapons you pick when you first make your character, but as you progress through the game you came to realize in the end that they're all pretty much the same save for some gimmicks that try to make them different, like fucking Chaos and Hammer related bullshit.
The environments are intense and kinda interesting, and some missions are GODTIER in terms of how they fucking play out, and this comes from a mouthbreather who had to use fucking walkthroughs and shit more than once for these fucking investigation quests.
What really pisses me off is how the whole game feels and play, i mean before they reworked the fucking currencies and shit, it was absolutely atrocious, mainly because you had tons of issues and stuff with different shit that "tiered" the game into lots of sub-par levels like new dungeons and stuff that no one now does anymore, that's a dead end.
Even worse, after the release of the ultimate edition pretty much everyone came to realize how fucking retarded and hysterical are the devs over this game, to the point that they've labelled the ultimate edition "season one" with 12 fucking issues\expansions while they're now working on the 14th one after shitting out the 13 one.
Everything feels fucking sloppy, from movements to combat, the fucking clothing\dressing\character customization is a chore, mainly because to change your fucking beard or to fix that semitic nose of yours you have to pay real dolla to buy the fucking coupons off the item store, and good luck if you want to pay them to in-game money, only capped endgame cunts sell them and they're worth thousands upon thousands of credits.
cont
>>
>>322538673

*tips
>>
>>322539808

Really? Shit, my bad. I started at launch, been hanging around since then.
>>
File: 1423021531565.jpg (21 KB, 372x260) Image search: [Google]
1423021531565.jpg
21 KB, 372x260
>>322539817
The in-game crafting is utter shit unless you're already balls deep in Venice or with QL10 gear, since no one fucking cares to sell\buy anything that is under QL9 and beyond.
And ultimately, the devs are jumping the shark with these retarded item-shop-only features like vehicles, that fucking sprint and retarded weapons\trinkets\cosmetics.
Sure, some of them are facoltative, but that's not a good reason to keep shitting them over and over instead of putting something in the actual game too.
>has the time to make a new fucking motorcycle for every fucking holiday
>not even care about making someone for the most plebeians of us still out there
Considering that this fat piece of shit is almost 40gb, which 25 of them are downloaded by the client as fucking updates, i'll give it a 6/10, if they fucking release a new ultimate edition including all the first 12 season 1 issues and the upcoming 6 new ones i will grab it and finally complete the main quest.
But for me it's a no, it's too fucking grindy\sloppy and it has shit mechanics, not to mention the whole retarded "lol we all play on the same server" bullshit that doesn't give you any bonus since queues and new "find a dungeon" shit only work per-realm.
Also, worth a mention
>LUA ui
>2012+4
>>
>>322540060
Yeah, it gives you the starter shit from the funcom store for free and the Screaming Demon bonus xp ring. But the rest of those tips are solid as fuck and I wish I'd have known when i started, especially Salt the Wound. Best passive.
>>
>>322532147

>character development

player character is a fucking tool who gets buttwhipped after defeating an ancient egyptian death god
half of npc's are anime-tier snowflakes who keep teleporting behind your back and whispering "shh nothing personal"

story is "black slime wants to destroy the world"

pvp is almost nonexistent
>>
>>322536754
>>322538483

This looks pretty cool, is the game actually fun?
>>
File: 1403975425594.jpg (20 KB, 232x185) Image search: [Google]
1403975425594.jpg
20 KB, 232x185
>>322540835
No.
>>322540669
>pvp
Holy shit, it's almost cringy how devs are trying at all costs to push people to play that fucking pvp minigame of theirs.
>p-please guys, play pvp! i-it's fun!
>>
>>322531728
Exactly this.

Could have made for an EXCELLENT rpg, and I wish we'd get some more games set in universe. Combat is bad and kind of makes forsilly, shitty characters since you always ield 2 weapons and everything is magic attacks to some extent. Can't be a loomey commando with just an AR to fuck shit up with.
>>
>>322540987
you goofball its demonic energy slowly taking over the world.
>>
>>322533547
>no singleplayer game based around investigation missions
>no modern day version of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_(video_game)
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (47 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
47 KB, 1280x720
>There are people right now on /v/ that think The Dragons are 2edgy4me and don't know that they are the only proper faction to join
>there are people on /v/ right now who don't realize that the dragon's decks are better and their outfits are leagues better than "crosses that don't have to do with christianity" or "I have a million suits of the same color and design"

>there are characters made from /v/ that are virgins and never even got a future sight blowjob.

i can't wait to let the leader know about this
>>
>>322542250
>tfwhile I was saying this
>literally no face cause I didn't

Although I will check that game out
>>
>>322542367

That scene in the opening was really weird if you were playing a female character.

Literally got eaten out so hard that you had an out of body experience.
>>
>>322542367
>joining the underage edgy pssh nothing personnel kid faction
Yeah nah.
Not unusual to see dragon faggots walking around with names like XxXSephiroth99XxX et similia.
>>
>>322542686
Illuminati are all filled with fedoras and templars are filled people who didn't know you can change factions

the dragons is clear where its at
>>
I WANT YOU TO TAKE THAT MAGAZINE FROM THERE.

AND PUT IT OVER THERE!

WHO CARES WHY? COME ON, MAN, BE THE CHAOS!
>>
>>322542941
Whoa wait, you can change factions? Or do you just mean all the factions can do everything other than pvp together? Ironically yes I'm a templar.
>>
File: life.jpg (34 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
life.jpg
34 KB, 500x375
>>322543759
I hate being a Templar.
>>
>>322543826
I like em and have no complaints. They have a pretty clear "kill all that is evil" theme going on. Also no gas masks. My other char is a dragon but I only play that one when a friend is trying out the game.

Not like it matters really, they're all identical other than some flavor text.
>>
>>322542941
illuminati here

how2change faction?
>>
are any of the /v/ guilds here?

i remember when this had a quick surge in popularity and there was a general for this game, but the /v/ clan died out too quickly
>>
>>322544915
Interest in the game kind of goes with the sales it seems. I think a lot of us like the game but we're all burned out by it and the games not busy enough most of the time to see people doing stuff in places that aren't hub zones.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.