[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It seems a little early to sell me on the idea of a nostalgic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: sonic_25_anniversary.jpg (42 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
sonic_25_anniversary.jpg
42 KB, 599x337
It seems a little early to sell me on the idea of a nostalgic Sonic game, if that is indeed what they're planning this year. Generations wasn't that long ago, and it pretty much hit all the right notes for nostalgia. The only thing I could imagine being more nostalgic is a game strictly following a "classic" Sonic formula, but Sega has shown that's just simply not something they're interested in.
>>
>>322473324
HD remake of original Genesis games with added (hopefully non-shitty) levels.

They won't do this of course, but it's what they SHOULD do, since all other Sonic games suck.
>>
>>322473324
>Generations wasn't that long ago, and it pretty much hit all the right notes for nostalgia

To each his own I guess. I didn't like Generations or Colors for that matter. In fact, I haven't liked any of the Sonic games after Megadrive/Genesis. Some have been playable, sure, but nothing to write home about.

The only game that has come close has been Freedom Planet.

I don't think Sonic Team can produce anything I would consider good anymore.
>>
File: SJam_JAP_Front.jpg (271 KB, 709x709) Image search: [Google]
SJam_JAP_Front.jpg
271 KB, 709x709
>>322474681
Generations and Colors had things that irked me, but I understand the perfect Sonic game I would want probably isn't possible, so it's a decent middle ground. I definitely feel both of those games got closer to a classic Sonic feel than any other Sonic game had for the 10 years prior.
I would honestly like to see them do something like Sonic Jam again, remaster the older games, and maybe add in cut content like the original Hidden Palace, and a virtual museum of sorts.
>>
Or they could use the fucking Taxman engine to shit out a proper sonic classic game. They don't even have to guess the physics. Hell just give the guy the possibility to use a small team to do a "classic" game while sega does the usual 3d modern sonic game so everyoneis happy

As far as I know the Android/IOs rerelase have been highly succesful
>>
File: 1371526559181.png (35 KB, 217x196) Image search: [Google]
1371526559181.png
35 KB, 217x196
>>322474681
I thought adventures was good and the GBA games were ok but other than that I agree.

I might be wrong about this, but I think the problem with sonic in 3d is that it gets harder and harder to convey speed the way they could in 2d. It's not like Mario and basic platforming. The only time they manage to even remotely do this well is when the 3d games basically give up and just outright mimic something the older Genesis games already did but with a slight 2.5d effect.
>>
>>322477248
The GBA games area pretty solid, in fact if they did something like a sequel to Advance or Rush, I'd love it. Albeit minus Blaze and Cream.

I think it's a little from columns A and B. It's pretty hard to make platforming like Sonic be so precise in 3D, which is why they introduced the homing attack, but also to create levels like classic Sonic games in 3D would be like creating miles and miles of terrain. Its much easier to create that in 2D.
>>
File: 1421905942792.png (27 KB, 143x176) Image search: [Google]
1421905942792.png
27 KB, 143x176
>>322477726
Yeah they also for the love of fuck need to stop trying to have us run around, extremely large round objects, it can work, but the last few games and adventure get to crazy levels of absurdity about this shit to the point it made me sick on some levels.
>>
>>322473324
sonic adventure 3
>>
Sonic is truly pathetic.

Sonic 4, Generations... they keep alternating between nostalgia and 3D Sonic games and they're all average at best with half of them being pretty much crap. They even abandoned Sonic 4 as I'm aware they intended more episodes from the start. Now it's nostalgia again and if it wasn't clear for years already, it's because they have no talent or creativity.

I've never seen a more pitiful franchise.
>>
>>322477726
It really doesn't have to be hard to do platforming at a fast speed at all. That's an excuse. It's a failure of the programmers and designers.
>>
The only way I would be convinced that they're serious about "going back to the roots of the series" would be if they actually hired some of the lead creative talent from the original games (like Hirokazu Yasuhara, Yuji Naka, Naoto Ohshima) and announced a 2D game with high resolution sprites and backgrounds.
Unless they do something along those lines, it's just hollow marketing.
>>
Remake sonic 3&k. Same basic mechanics, but new levels. New powerups. Expanded story. And customizable moves for Sanic, Tails and Knux. Maybe added bonus playable characters like Metallix or Shadow just for fun.
>>
>>322480207
Sonic was never about beautiful sprites. He was always more about CG.
>>
>>322480207
Sonic with rayman origin/legends tier art would be sex.
>>
>>322474508
if they did do it they'd split it into 3 parts for each game like with what they did for sonic 4.

it'd be great if they could add all 3 games + sonic & knuckles all in one but there's just no fucking way they'd ever miss out on such an easy way to get extra shekels.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.