[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i just picked this up for 10 britbongs. will be playing it tonight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: latest[1].jpg (658 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
658 KB, 1920x1080
i just picked this up for 10 britbongs.
will be playing it tonight when i get home.
any one play it? im thinking of doing some smuggling/bounty hunting.

>elite dangerous thread
>>
If you're gonna hunt bounties, find yourself a system with a lot of resource extraction sites and idle around in them watching for pirates.
>>
How is planet exploration?
>>
>>322469078
To me, it's basically impossible not to have a love/hate relationship with this game. It does so much so well, and yet at the same time it does so much so poorly. It's frustrating and annoying, but at the same time irresistably beautiful. The worst thing is, I'm pretty sure it's not going to get better any time soon.

I'm holding off buying Planetary Landings, because fuck that pricing. I'm gonna wait and see if the later date additions are worth it, or wait for a serious discount - I'm not paying as much as I payed for the base game again for pretty, but generally completely meangless planetary surfaces.
>>
>>322469609
how do bounties work, do they get placed by others or is it a game crime rating mechanic?

>>322470356
i want to love this game. i really want a space game but i hear the ship vareities are shit in this
>>
>>322470573
>do they get placed by others or is it a game crime rating mechanic?
The latter, you obtain bounties automatically for attacking players or NPC's under certain conditions. The system is quite complex though, there is not just one universal bounty system, but instead, each political body (and there are literally tens of thousands of those) have their own - some share them across, other don't. Some systems don't have any kind of legislation model, so you are free to do what ever you want in them, etc...

>but i hear the ship vareities are shit in this
Space ship variety isn't the problem. Not for me, at least. Yeah, no capital ships and as of now, no multi-crew ships (which is going to change with future updates), but I don't miss those.

What pisses me off is no player-driven economy, GOD-FUCKING-AWFUL missions, lack of any meaningful way of progressing, grind up the ass, and terrible, half-arsed multiplayer that takes the worst out of MMO and out of single player game to make both sides equally pointless.

Also, lack of variety in many respects, particularly regarding exploration.
>>
>>322471583
yikes, pulling no punches.
but im sure i can get 20-30hrs out of it at least befor ei get bored right? i just want to zip around space while i wait for star citizen lol
>>
>>322472050
>but im sure i can get 20-30hrs out of it at least befor ei get bored right?
Even more. The flight model is seriously the best I've ever seen in a space sim, the graphics, art direction and sense of scale are absolutely amazing. Traversing the system in cruise mode while listening to some great music does not get old. The tension of making it back to a station with holes through your cockpit and 20 seconds of air is amazing. Getting stuck with broken fuel scoop 250 light years away from nearest habitable world, contacting the Fuel Rats and having 15 people organize a rescue operation for you is seriously one of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever had.
And the combat is... just pure joy once you master the control scheme.

As I said: love/hate relationship. There is so, SO much to love in this game. It's just such a fucking shame there is so much to hate as well.
But I can assure you that if you like space sims, 20 hours of some of the best space-simming is guaranteed. Those 20 hours will pass so fast you won't even realize it. It's just that you see that there is potential for so much more.

Oh yeah, there is one more thing you should know though. The game has AWFUL introduction, basically explains nothing at all to you. You literally have to watch about 2 hours of youtube videos on their official channel to learn the basics of the game.
>>
>>322472638
i hope its as good as you make it sound. im fucking hype now
>>
>>322473220
It is, and at the same time, it's not. As I said, it's very difficult to give an accurate assesment for me here. It's also a game quite considerably about "making your own fun". Setting up goals for yourself, chosing the right music (the game's default soundtrack is by no means bad, but it's really, REALLY ambient, and chosing your own good music to play in the background can add a LOT to the experience), setting up a role to play for yourself - all of that is big portion of the game. The game won't do any of that for you: it will plop you into the world and say: go figure shit out for yourself.
>>
>>322473990
>>322472638
>>322471583
>>322470356
holy shit, you summed up exactly how I feel about this game, couldn't have put it better, props for that
>>
>>322473990
what music do you listen to while space trucking?
>>
I just grabbed it in the sale the other day. It's pretty cool, I love the immersion factor. However, figuring out how to dock was frustrating as fuck and the game has a fair amount of general clunkiness despite the well done UI and smooth controls. Also, I haven't earned a single space dime yet. The missions I've been able to accept so far are all trading shit that requires you to buy stuff to bring to other places, but I have no money to do that yet. It's all very unclear.
>>
>>322473990
this>>322474339
any OST choices, i was thinking maybe a mass effect playlist or something.
im actually pretty hype to play this now
>>
>>322474339
>what music do you listen to while space trucking?
I have a variety of playlists. Soundtrack to Tron Legacy was one of my favorites when raking up bounties.
I like progrock, so Pink Floyd and King Crimson were my usual soundtrack of choice when trading or exploring.

Other ones of my favorite soundtracks involved the soundtrack to Fountain (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHCNtaf2ypY), various assorted jazz and blues collections, and a lot of classical music, particularly Dvořák.
I'm not exactly inventive when it comes to this kind of stuff.
>>
>>322475274
Oh yeah, and sometimes I listened to this shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5p8YhhaVlA&list=PLD9577E6CEBD077B4

>>322474260
I think a lot of us feel this way. In fact, I think ending up thinking this way is inevitable when you play the game for longer time.
>>
>>322474949
>However, figuring out how to dock was frustrating as fuck
That is why there is the whole docking tutorial.

>Also, I haven't earned a single space dime yet.
It takes a while, and sometimes a bit of googling around to learn how to start making money. There are some very simple smuggling missions available at many stations in the starting sectors though, designed to be accesible to players even with starting gear. Usually smuggling slaves or illegal goods. They even pay handsomely, handsomely enough to make enough money to buy a cobra after a few hours.
They can be pretty tense though.

The moment you can buy yourself something better than a fucking sidewinder, a lot more options will open up for you. Hauler for trading, Cobra for basically anything else.
Personally, since I don't have the patience for trading, I went bounty hunting road. You can actually rack up a LOT of money by bounty hunting in high intensity resource extractions sites, if you stick to the local authorities and let them do most of the legwork, then just putting last few rounds into the pirate.
Just be careful not to hit somebody else on accident, or the authorities will turn against you immediately.
>>
>>322469696
It's awesome. Did you know planets are fucking ginormous?
>>
>>322476360
Better questions: how are the new quests? Do they still suck as much as the old ones?
I can imagine that flying around the planets feels awesome - from the footage I've seen even the buggy driving looks really satisfying, but has any of the core issues of the game been in any way addressed?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.