[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is this game so good? >deep combat >fun exploration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12
File: Lightning-Returns-FFXIII-18 (1).jpg (1 MB, 1530x1765) Image search: [Google]
Lightning-Returns-FFXIII-18 (1).jpg
1 MB, 1530x1765
How is this game so good?
>deep combat
>fun exploration
>fun quests
>has sense of humor
Story is balls but holy shit the gameplay is great. It's like after 2 turds they finally figured out how to make a good game.
What did you think about it, /v/?
>>
couldnt play it for too long because no ass no boobs. Feels like playing a gay woman
>>
Bought the ps3 version for 5 quid like a year ago and still haven't touched it.
Maybe someday
>>
Destiny is destiny.
>>
>>322466427
I thought it sucked but I didnt play it.
>>
File: 1396824975447.jpg (11 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
1396824975447.jpg
11 KB, 240x320
>>322466427
I feel like you overhyped it a bit it's worse than the one before it in pretty much everyway besides obviously having some sidequests and less DLC bullshit.

But I think actually FF10-2 is better than both these games.
>>
>>322466480
Her ass is fucked up but she's literally built for sex apart from that. You're a gay man.
>>
>Lightning is literally Jesus, to the point where everyone calls her the "Savior"
>but she kills God himself because he's a womanizing jerk who catcalls at her during the battle
>then she goes to live in France so Toriyama can have his waifu in real life

I don't care how good the rest of the game is, this is what ruins it.
>>
File: VP - Lenneth taking flight.jpg (542 KB, 1920x1536) Image search: [Google]
VP - Lenneth taking flight.jpg
542 KB, 1920x1536
>>322466427
Your standards have been lowered.

Do yourself a favor and play on older RPG to reset your expectations.
>>
>>322466427
Aside from the two superbosses and the NG+ last boss, I had a good time with Lightning Returns. It's probably the best of the spin off group (Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, X-2, After Years, Revenant Wings, XIII-2)
>>
>>322466734
Does Toriyam live in France?
>>
>>322467006

No, Japs just think France is a "romantic" city for whatever ignorant reason.
>>
>>322466837
>LR is almost literally VP with one character, down to Tri-Ace making the combat system
>Suggests VP
Epin.
>>
>>322467186
>for whatever ignorant reason.
Are you telling me that all the glorification in practically everything hasn't made west think it's the city of love too?
>>
>>322467310
>>322466837
>we will never get VP3:Hrist because Lightning Returns was made
jdimsa
>>
>>322467585
It was canned project, blaming LR is silly.
I don't think there's anything official about it being a canned VP3 either.
>>
>>322467310
Tri-Ace didn't make the combat system, they barely even worked on LR. It's a myth that people want to believe because they hate the idea that a FFXIII game ended up being decent.
>>
>>322466560
4chan the post
>>
>>322466427
Are you joking? Tried the trilogy it's so shit no wonder people hate FFXIII. Stupid story and fucking fetch quests non-stop.
>>
>>322466427
GOTY 2014
Worst of the trilogy
>>
Currently playing it and loving it. Story isn't so bad and makes sense if you pay attention, the thing is it's just weird for us westerns. Like, Lightning is literally Jesus Christ from FFXIII universe.

A lot better than FXIII-2, but i still prefer the original FFXIII. For all the shit it got, the original XIII was an amazing game. It had such an intense story going on all the time that easily compensated the gameplay linearity, IMO. LR is almost as good, with the whole "world is ending" theme replicating the intensity of the first game.

Also
>dat luxerion jazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkrPVqjPfEw
>>
>>322467746
Got any source for that? They were involved with both -2 and -3
>>
>>322466427

Why is she so perfect /v/ ?
>>
>>322466552
u wot m8? 5 quids a squid? lauffin
>>
>>322467875
woops wrong song
that one's cool too though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4YGpr8t4E
XIII series has easily the best soundtrack. Dem violins.
>>
>>322467875
What was weird about it?
I never understood this meme
Are people literally brain danaged that they manage to not understand Lightning Returns?
>>
>>322467186
>France
>City
>>
>>322466480
How is there no mod yet
>>
>>322467887
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/13/nora-wont-return-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/
>We also asked Kitase about tri-Ace who co-developed Final Fantasy XIII-2. They are involved with Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, but not as much so. "With this installment, staff members of Square Enix are the primary force, but we did get Tri-Ace to help on some parts of the graphic work, as they did in the past," Kitase explained.

and check the credits, the guys behind LR's battle system are veterans of the FFXIII team.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Yuji_Abe
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/681990-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii/credit

FFXIII-2's combat system, which Tri-Ace actually did make, was just a shitty carbon copy of FFXIII's anyway so it's no surprise that the combat system evolved when Tri-Ace's involvement was downscaled. Was Lightning Returns inspired by VP? Maybe, but the idea that Tri-Ace actually designed it or salvaged it from a canceled VP game is just baseless hearsay. People just say this shit because it makes them feel better about this game for some reason.
>>
>>322468870
I meant to link to this guy specifically, not the entire credits page
http://www.gamefaqs.com/credit/86594-nobuyuki-matsuoka
>>
I like everything about this game except for the upgrade mechanics for accessories and spells/abilities.

It forces you to NG+ and over time you become so overpowered compared to your opponents. But you will still never ever get a Star level Elementaga.
>>
>>322468008
>What was weird about it?
The fact that Lightning is practically Jesus Christ. Western culture is primarily christian, so it's weird for us seeing the equivalent of Jesus Christ being a woman with pink hair that kills monsters in a JRPG videogame. Hence why so many didn't like the story and said it was silly.
>Are people literally brain danaged that they manage to not understand Lightning Returns?
I said that the story was weird, as in strange/bizarre, not hard to understand.
>>
>>322469612
The autism is strong in the west
>>
I pirated the game, am I a faggot or there's really no pirated repack of this game that works with controllers? I have an original Xbox360 controller and it doesn't work at all. I tried the PS3 controller with xinput wrapper and it doesn't work either.
>>
>>322469872
You're faggot. Controller works fine here, CorePack repack.
>>
>>322466480
Go back to your Skyrim sex mods, fucking cancer.
>>
>>322469962
Nigger, I'm using literally the same repack and none of my controllers work. Tell me the secret.
>>
>>322470054
No secret, it just works. You trying the play the asian version repack or something? 'Cause i didn't have any problems here.

Also make sure the problems isn't with the controllers or the USB ports you're using.
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00010.jpg (204 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00010.jpg
204 KB, 1920x1080
>>322466427
I'm preferring the second game more I guess

>Serah >>>>>>>>> Lightning "Why yes it's possible to have a negative ass" Farron
>Fulfills my monster collecting autism
>DLC outfits include mass effect armor which actually looks good

95% of Lightning's garbs are utter garbage patchworked together from presets.
>>
>>322470313

Shit. I just tried it again now and it works. I had given up after several days of the controller not working at all. I even reinstalled the drivers and fucked around a lot to no avail. What the fuck is this sorcery?
>>
>>322470357

>Mass Effect armor
>looks good
>>
>>322470362
Lol, don't know. Glad it worked. Have fun, anon-kun.
>>
File: 2015-12-31_00005.jpg (207 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31_00005.jpg
207 KB, 1920x1080
>>322470431
I don't give a shit about mass effect itself but I like the armor
>>
>>322470357
Meh. I still think the first game was the best one. I liked it because it was a jrpg with all the fat trimmed away. No retarded backtracking, no shitty cryptic where the fuck do I go moments, no pointless exploration (don't tell me exploration in these games feels rewarding), and basically no waste of time, just story and fighting which is what matters the most in these games. The strategy during battles felt important too with all the roles, you were forced to use buffers and debuffers which are pretty much always useless in these games, and there were a lot of possible strategies for most bosses. The second game was a cakewalk, monsters were overpowered and you could literally do 90% of the game with just COM, RAV and MED. And it also had issues with the pacing, backtracking, pointless exploration and retarded sidequests. Because of the increased freedom the graphics also took a major hit from FFXIII, which was absolutely stunning even on the PS3.
>>
File: 1335373709417.jpg (58 KB, 443x376) Image search: [Google]
1335373709417.jpg
58 KB, 443x376
>just beat part 5 of the main quest
>uhh... what am i supposed to do now exactly?
>google it
>literally have to wait until the very last day
>mfw i have 4 days left and i've already done 85%-90% of all the sidequests
>>
File: Cie'th_Stone.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Cie'th_Stone.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>322470785
XIII was linear to such an extreme that there weren't even any NPCs to talk to except some fucking rocks, the shops were all computer terminals (then again chocolina wasn't much better) which are all the sidequests in the game.

You also have to do a bunch of convoluted shit to unlock chocobos.
>>
I'm going to marry Lightning!
>>
>>322470936
>XIII was linear to such an extreme that there weren't even any NPCs to talk to except some fucking rocks

And how is that an issue? NPCs are fucking pointless the vast majority of time, there's no point in talking to them.

The convoluted shit to unlock chocobos was literally just defeating a monster once IIRC.
>>
>>322470835
Honestly people complain about the time limit, but after your first run you can 100% a NG+ run, with you wasting 80% of your time waiting for events to open up. The game even gives you an additional day. It doesn't help that there's only a limited amount of enemies in the world and you'll run out of shit to fight that isn't Menektons.

or 100%ish, since some choices can only be made in one run. For example you can choose to go look for numbers in that password or you can say fuck it, fight some shit and run in.

At least one quest has different rewards depending on the final choice.
>>
Right now I'm in a battle with the 4th form of the final boss.

And can't do shit. I did 62 side quests and over 60 Canvas of Prayers quests. My schematas:
- Equilibrium + with Ultima Weapon and Aerora.
- Cyber Jumpsuit for guarding and debuffing. No offensive spells.
- Black Mage with Thundara and Blizzara.

With only 2 schematas that have -ra spells, I can't stagger the motherfucker, even if I use Overclock.

For over half of the game, I battles were good. Then they started to become bullshit. Like, lose one time to know how to beat the enemy or just google it, because it's faster.

I'll just watch the ending on YT, because I can't be bothered to restart the whole fight.
>>
>>322467824
Neither of these things are true.
>>
What outfits are you guys generally using?
>>
>>322471110
unlocking chocobos is at least 6 missions and it's not even explained why you need to do those missions to unlock chocobos.
>>
>>322471191
CLOUD
>>
>>322470785
This. XIII-2 felt lazy, like they filled it with boring sidequests to prolong the gameplay unnecessarily.

LR does the same but at least the gameplay and truly open world feel better than XIII-2
>>
>>322471147
The final boss is a pain because you basically have to stagger him to beat him, and I really dislike the stagger wave over the simple stagger gauge. I've gotten to a lot of points where the stagger wave is right on the threshold of breaking but won't.

He sucks and if you really need to you can roll back, earn more stats from doing missions and try again. He gets easier. I can't imagine doing it on my first run though without ultima weapon. It's basically required.
>>
I'M GOING TO MARRY YOUNG HOPE!
ADULT HOPE FANS GET OUT OF MY BOARD

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>322471183
You're wrong
>>
>>322471147
Do you have Caius' weapon? It makes staggering much easier
>>
>>322466427
>fun quests
Literally the worst part of the game and those shitty quests make up 80% of the game. No thanks, senpai. Try playing a real rpg next time
>>
>>322470785
I'm still mad FFXIII looks better than most recent games
>>
>>322471295

You forgot that XIII-2's real ending is paid DLC, too.
>>
>>322471147
Here's how I did it. Equip Chaos's Revenge for 75% stagger, equip Aerora on 2 schematas, have 1 schemata with Artemis Arrow and Ultima Wep and another Schema with at least 85% physical immunity. Wait for him to cast ultima (or his angel adds), block and spend all atb of first Aerora schema, then do the same with second Aerora schema and then overclock, do same shit again after overclock runs out and he will be staggered. Deprotect him immediately and wail with Artemis Arrow on his ass with overclocks. I killed him with 1 stagger, just gotta make sure you have all 8 EP point in last phase. Good luck.
>>
>>322471383
From what i'm noticing you need to use a finisher in order to stagger enemies easily after you've built up the wave
If you keep spamming only the first 1-2 attacks of an ability the stagger "break" takes way longer to happen.

I could be wrong tho, i'm only on day 3.
>>
>>322471748
LR looks pretty good too. It also runs fucking great which is surprising. So many eastern games like fallout 4 look like shit and run like shit at the same time, yet a game like LR which you can easily tell was cheaply made, still looks pretty good and runs really well. Why can't more games be like this?

I don't need photorealism in my games when it makes the game run like complete shit, a game like LR that you can tell is cheap due to textures on walls still looks just fine and runs all the better for it.
>>
>>322471748
Most games these days are caught up in the 'open world' hype. So graphics end up taking a hit. Hopefully it'll go back to more liner in a few years. Fuck anyone that says they are 'casual'. I hate open world.
>>
>>322472067
>eastern games like fallout 4
?
>>
>>322472157
Shit, i meant western.
>>
>>322472067
SE truly redeemed theirselves with the LR pc port
After two nearly unplayable ports, they released one of the best PC ports i've seen. Runs silky smooth on my 3 year old machine with max graphics, and the game is gorgeous
>>
>>322472146

So you'd rather content take a hit than have your waifu not look perfectly? Thank god you're not the one making the games.
>>
>>322472067
>runs really good
it runs like absolute garbage on consoles
>>
>>322472303
Play the game next time. It runs fine.
>>
>>322466427
>time limit
>have to wait to talk to NPCs for quests

It's shit.
>>
>>322470013
I literally just did you gay ass faggot fucker
>>
>>322472293
Oh, fuck off. What content are you talking about? Open world games are fucking empty and full of pointless shit. very rarely are they full of life. I played LR, the world is full of dull people and dull quests. What great content there!
>>
>>322471383
I don't need to restart the game. I need to restart the final boss fight with different schemata.

>>322471607
If it's Chaos Revenge, yes, I do, on the Black Mage schemata.

>>322471886
I'm already in the last phase, and he can't be debuffed in it, nor does he use Ultima.
Well, I'll remember you hints in case I ever feel like redoing the whole battle.
>>
>>322466734
You forgot the part where she's an IRL French model now for Luis Vuitton
>>
>>322472389
have you only played the PC port? I'm telling you again it runs badly on consoles
>>
>>322471509
you have no hope of that happening, buddy
>>
>>322472293
Not him but open world design cripples everything unless you have gta tier budget
And even then not only are the graphics subpar, but the content itself is very limited and the gane itself is jarring since you're supposed to feel like a town is big while it's actually pathetically small
Think about LR, what were the memorable parts?
Intro, Caius dungeon, Savior play, Snow's palace, final dungeon, all these are linear parts
Open worls was a shitty gimmick for mouth breathing casuals so companies could skimp out on actually designing the game and could tell the player to just dick around until they got bored
Then people started demanding more actual quality and content so open world games are even shittier now
Case in point, mgsv and mgs 1,2,3,4
>>
>>322472627
you should be fine, two schematas with -ra spells are enough to stagger anything with overclock
>>
>>322471886
you can only deprotect him once he's staggered.
You really just need to spend all your shema's atb and at least one overclock on aerora when he's in his down-time, it usually is when he casts his angel-friends. if you dont do it during his down-time he won't let you build his stagger gauge with his attacks.
>>
I dunno. I'm on the extra day and the combat is kinda simple and boils down the only blocking and attacking weaknesses. Debuffs only become relevant late in the game.

Exploration is dull once you realize there's nothing to interact with. All you do is run around talking to people and getting into fights, with the occasional random item on the ground. Wildlands is a time sink and Dead Dunes is the only actual dungeon in the game.

The quests boil down to "Go here and talk to this person", "kill X many enemies", and that's about it. There are two instances out of the 60 side quests and 58 canvas of prayer requests where I go to herd sheep. The rest of the quests involved talking and fighting the same enemies I've already thought.

>humor
Lightning is a humor vacuum, and this is from someone who faps to her somewhat regularly. Supporting cast is only as funny as the most generic of animes.
>>
>>322472627
Are you finishing the spell combos? The fastest way to stagger is not finishing them but casting 2 -ra spells, switching schemata, 2 spells, switch, 2 spells, overclock, spam spells with Chaos' Revenge
>>
>>322473036
MGSV wasn't a bad open world, the problem with the game wasn't the open world aspect, but enemy design (too much of the same enemy) and cut content, it has the best gameplay that MGS ever has.
>>
>>322466427
but why is her right boob looks bigger than the left?
>>
>>322467948
Underrated post
>>
>>322470357
Is that you Yahtzee? Your LR review was shit
SHIIIIIIIT
You didn't even bother.
>>
the timer all game long made it impossible for me to enjoy it
>>
>>322473909
No it was the open world
Making it open world ate up too many resources during development
Remember how perfect mgsv gz was?
That wasn't open world and it was awesome
If you don't have to make a big useless literal sandbox you can make actual content and avoid getting it cut for lack of time/money
>>
>>322466837
this tbqh famm

I thought I was falling out of jrpgs until I started playing the classics

Ps1 and ps2 hud such killer jrpgs its not even funny and you have the SNES as well I like how the SNES had all of those top down action rpgs. I highly recommend the blazer trilogy.
>>
>>322466427
It's literally the worst trilogy of games that literally ruined the franchise
>>
>>322472751
What source, bs if not
>>
>>322474403
Yahtzee reviewd this?
That guy is a moron
I'm not a reviewer and I don't give a personal vote or judgement to a game I don't finish
I'm not obviously talking about 100% but until I see the end I don't do it
And I keep a personal record of what I play
How can such a un unprofessional guy like that be allowed to do this
I mean at least totalbiscuit gives a personal opinion after a few hours but he doesn't call them reviews
>>
File: lightning-ffxiii.jpg (168 KB, 779x720) Image search: [Google]
lightning-ffxiii.jpg
168 KB, 779x720
I worship Goddess Lightning's armpits!!
>>
>>322474930
>i haven't seen it so it must be bullshit
Google it faggot, it's been posted on /v/ a few times now.
>>
File: 1442772368473.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1442772368473.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>322474985
>>
File: 1451228300695.jpg (97 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
1451228300695.jpg
97 KB, 900x600
>>322474930
>he can't Google "Lightning Luis Vuitton"
>>
>>322474930
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFmSk0hQx9k
>>
>>322475757
>>322475631
Jesus I'm scared now
>>
File: hahahaha.png (227 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
hahahaha.png
227 KB, 500x366
>>322466590
>But I think actually FF10-2 is better than both these games
>>
>>322476353
Not him, but I'd probably put X-2 over LR. Never played XIII-2 because fuck Pokemon.
>>
File: jesus light.jpg (14 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
jesus light.jpg
14 KB, 300x225
>>322476038
>Jesus
What is it anon
>>
>>322476702
I actually skipped XIII and XIII-2 and went straight to LR, so what's Pokemon-y about XIII-2?
>>
>>322477841
Third party member is a monster. You collect monsters you fight throughout the game and use them as party members.
Monsters have different roles and different skills, you can level them up and fuse them into new ones that inherit abilities and shit like that

I didn't like it either, since the monsters had no personality whatsoever and only appeared in the battles. Maybe Square was just too lazy to design a new character and decided to recycle the monsters into the third party member.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.