[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a Don't Starve thread? I just got it on the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11
File: 8984643215.png (411 KB, 645x320) Image search: [Google]
8984643215.png
411 KB, 645x320
Can we have a Don't Starve thread? I just got it on the Steam sale and I'm having a blast.

What do you do to start your base? Who is your favorite character to play as? What strategies do you use for exploring? Do you prefer playing alone or together?

I really like Wigfrid because farming is for bitches, slay all day.
>>
Does anybody play this game?
>>
>>322457089
What do I do after getting my first science machine up
I always end up exploring and then getting raped by dogs out of nowhere since lol screenwide aggro range, no leash and more ms than player character
>>
>>322458883
Yeah try reddit or some shit because we dont play meme games here
>>
>>322459069
With how shit /v/ is I can't even tell if you're just making a funny
That's pretty depressing
>>
>>322459161
>Survival game
>not a meme game

pick one
>>
>>322459069
>we
Speak only for yourself, bud.
>>
Webber is my personal favriote game op, I just got the dlc and it's pretty fun. The devs for this game have been great, constantly adding in free shit for us to try and play.

>>322459069
>WE
Why don't you fuck off new fag.
>>
File: give her the dick.jpg (116 KB, 700x437) Image search: [Google]
give her the dick.jpg
116 KB, 700x437
>>322459069
>>322459215
Thanks, combined pretenders of /v/
You done it
>>
>>322459350
>>322459362
reddit opinions =/= /v/

don't worry you aren't even included
>>
>>322458883
No, because it's shit
>>
This game is so comfy once you're all settled up
I usually play it while listening to audio books
>>
File: 49f402d504.jpg (7 KB, 146x208) Image search: [Google]
49f402d504.jpg
7 KB, 146x208
>>322459448

Cool, I'd rather not be included with some fucking faggot that feels the need to come on threads to shit post rather than actually play games or contribute to something.

>>322458981

After you get that science machine up you wanna go and get the next thing after the science machine? Something to do with alchemy, but also make sure you have the basic things like, food, something to defend yourself with and maybe start looking at getting warm clothing for winter.
>>
>>322459161
>>322459350
>>322459362
>>322459408
>>>/reddit/
>>
>spend 10 days trying to find a good place to settle
>don't have anything set up for winter
I-it's fun

Don't Starve Together is where the real fun's at
>>
>>322458883

Yes, there's been fuck loads of threads about Don't Stave other the course of its release. Don't let some random shit poster say otherwise.
>>
>>322458981
I like to set up an Alchemy Engine right afterward and start making Improved Farms.
>>
File: 1427410057912.jpg (57 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1427410057912.jpg
57 KB, 900x900
>>322459745

The only problem with that is you need to try and find some cow shit before you actually start your base, otherwise you'll be wandering around forever looking for it so that you can have basic agricultural shit.
>>
>>322459504

w-what audio books?
>>
>>322457089
I've sunk roughly 200 hours into it, so I'll give you my big learnings

>base location/start: get near beefalo, stock rocks and grass- build advanced farms. Catch bird and get a birdcage, feed bird dragonfruit, then repeat until all farms are growing dragonfruit. Invest in fridge, enjoy having food reserved for the majority of the winter, leaving you to do way more important things with your time.

That's a huge, huge help, I hope it works out.
>>
>>322460006

Have you tried the new dlc? I hear it's pretty fun/comfy
>>
>>322459912
Madame Bovary
>>
>>322458981
You'll want to take the steps to your alc machine.

Walls are a waste of your time 90% of the time, I wouldn't even bother.
>>
>>322460141
>Madame Bovary

that's pretty interesting, do you enjoy?
>>
>>322457089
I always build beside the cave entrance closest to the pig king.

It provides:
>Infinite rocks (Earthquakes).
>Infinite light (Lightbulbs).
>Infinite mushrooms.
>Strong defense (Rock Lobsters / Rabbit/Pig Village)
>Pig King (AKA gold mcnuggies)
>Pig Butts (for Ham Bat)
>Beard Hair (for life totem thing)

Downside:
>Sanity is drained while in cave. Offset by all the green mushrooms available in the cave.
>Bats come out of the cave entrance at night. Do next to no damage and provide free manure and food/weapon but still annoying.
>>
>>322460223
Not really, it's boring but I have to do it for schoolwork
>>
>>322460327

well when you aren't doing school work you should look into Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington's podcasts, they're pretty funny.
>>
>>322460094
Shiprekt? I haven't, I really, really look forward to it though. Can't wait to die in all new ways.
>>
>>322460280

What's the best way to raise sanity? I've always struggled with keeping it up.

>>322460472
Amen to that. I've bought into it and I'm really enjoying it. There's a lot of new interesting mechanics in the game that set it apart from ROG.

I think it was meant to be a stand-alone or something like that to start with
>>
>>322460280

How to find a cave entrance;
Three caves per world. Shipwrecked has none.

>Mosaic biome.
It looks like a rather empty biome with a bunch of mismatched tiles and rocks strewn about. It's the only biome to have brick flooring in some places.
>Swamp Forest Biome.
It's a Forest biome surrounded on most sides by Swamp. Deeply wooded and the only place to find the alternate type of tree; lumpy evergreen.
>Pig King Forest.
Forest Biome with a paved path leading into it. The path will lead to the Pig village with the Pig King and MOST of the time, will also lead to another pig village halfway across the map.

RoG
>Mosaic Biome
Like above.
>Swamp Forest Biome.
Like above.
>Pig King Forest
Like above but the forest biome has been changed to a birchnut forest. The terrain is orangey brown and trees are more sparse. The brick road is completely useless in leading you to the Pig King in RoG, although it does still exist.

>>322460540
While exploring initially, pick up flowers. Picking a flower grants you 5 sanity and 12 petals crafts a hat that gives you sanity over time.
After you've reached your base;
Cooked greencap mushrooms and sleeping in a tent.

Sanity shouldn't be too much of a problem in base DS. It's only in RoG that it becomes a problem and that's due to Rain.
>>
>>322459408
Literally this.

The shit I read here makes me fucking pine for the days when bad threads were just flooded with dubs bullshit instead this shit. It kept normies and retard posters out because anyone with a brain would just make a new thread where discussion could take place and leave all the idiots behind to circlejerk each other.
>>
>pick glorious spiderman
>pigs rape me
>other players hate me cause spiders can't into non spider friends

Fuck leave me and my next of spiders alone.
>>
>>322460793
You should be collecting just about everything on the ground initially. Petals may seem worthless, but they turn to rot which you'll need to fertilize the grass tufts and berry bushes you transplant near to your base. When you reach the pig village, offload all your petals onto the ground. The pigs will eat them periodically and turn it to poop which has the same effect as rot but is also required for structures such as farms.

Another boon of building near a cave is the number of forest spots underground. You can grab the few saplings, tufts and bushes with a shovel and then light the place up. Chop it all down for charcoal and then mine some of the stalagmites for rock. Fast crockpot production.

Caves are full of spiders too. That's webbing you'll need for tents, food to hire pigs and to eat if need be. The glands are pretty useless.

After you've established your base (Science - Alchemy - Firepit), go down into the cave and beat up a spider den for web. Build yourself a bug net. When night hits, grab a firefly. Grass -> Straw Hat -> Mining Light. Go down into the cave and find a sizeable biome with light bulbs, preferably one that doesn't have tentapillars. Pick 20 or so orbs and you're set. They'll turn to rot eventually but they'll regrow and you won't have to think about lighting ever again.
>>
>play on server
>need flint to start anything
>no fucking flint anywhere.
>can't use rocks
>>
>>322461465
You can find flint laying on the ground in;

Bright green forests.
Mosaics.
Graveyards.
Rockyland (RoG)

Probably some others too.
>>
Man I can never find meat in this game, only monster meat and I can't kit beefalos for shit with the spear
>>
>>322461576
I'm aware of this, but the problem is
>flint is rare enough that if any players have graced a server they'll easily expend the starting areas on ground flint.

Basically you join a server, run around desperately trying to find flint before dark hits so you can make a fire.

I know that's not a problem if you make your own server, but its big flaw for server hopping.
>>
File: Base1.png (2 MB, 1309x736) Image search: [Google]
Base1.png
2 MB, 1309x736
Hoping this thread does well, tried to start a Don't Starve thread before and it died rather quickly.
>>
>>322461765
>loot berry bushes
>kill turkey that spawns
>???
>meat
>>
>>322461765
Pigs, Bunnies, Tallbirds and Beefalo.

Your best bet early game are lone pigs and Tallbirds. Pigs respawn after a few days if you don't trash their house and Tallbirds respawn if you don't steal the egg. Bunnies follow the same rules as pigs (since they're basically the cave equivalent) and Beefalo shit babies out every mating season.

Plus you'll get meat from random sources every now and then. Stuff like Koalephants and boss monsters. And if you're in the caves as much as I am, you can pick up all the meat you want from the 24/7 Lobster v Worm fight going on near the entrance rope.

>>322462254
They're fucking fast though.
>>
I tried to refund the game but I was barely over 2 hours so they refused it.

Oh well.

I don't know man, I can't get into the game. It doesn't leave you with enough options, feels like that to me at least. Seems like you really have to follow a strict path of what to do so you're ready for winter
>>
>Get tons of sticks and grass, no rocks or flint
or
>Get tons of rock and flint, no grass or sticks

Everytime
>>
>>322462073

That looks pretty comfy m8.
>>
I never know where to put my science/alchemy machines. I feel like i run out of resources in the area and eventually have to spend a whole day running to get to more stuff, then a whole day just to get back.
>>
>>322459448
fuck off you faggot
>>
>>322462736
What you want to try and do is get your cow shit before you make your base, but that's easier said than done.

So then you have your food there ready for you.
>>
>spend ages getting gold to increase research point
>they release the patch to remove research points

It's pretty neat. I hope they bring Maxwell into Don't starve together soon though.
>>
>>322462541
Not at all. You can just not set up a base and still do fine in winter. You'll need to spend more time towards maintaining health/sanity but it's still reasonable.
>>
>>322462254
How do you kill a turkey early game? They are so damn fast im lucky to land a few hits on them with the spear before they disappear.
>>
>>322462736
That's why you build next to a cave entrance. It's like an entire world of resources right beside your base.
>>
>>322463226
hope it spawns by the ocean border then force it into a corner so its bodyblocked by you and the wall then just keep swinging till dead
>>
>>322463226
Its been forever since I played, so possibly ignore this if its outdated, but I managed it by chasing them to a impassible corner like near water.
>>
>>322463302
They dont't get stucked like they used to be anon. They gonna pull a 180 drift on ya
>>
>>322459408
Rene Descartes looks like a fag
>>
>>322463526
Unfortunately so. The AI used to run directly away from you so all you had to do was corral them towards a corner. That's stopped being the case somewhere along the line.

Killing monkeys in Shipwrecked is a pain in the fucking ass, I assure you.
>>
I don't have the single-player nor the multiplayer version of this game. Should I buy one, if so which, or both?
>>
File: 1414743713107.jpg (65 KB, 500x404) Image search: [Google]
1414743713107.jpg
65 KB, 500x404
>survive my second winter
>am all stocked up and good to go infinitely if i choose
>doges coming
>decide to lure them to the herd of beefalo as usual
>forgot I put all my shit to make torch/fire in camp
>killed by darkness

My own fault really, but goddamn, this game is unforgiving.
>>
>>322464968
Easy-mode = Don't Starve
Hard-mode = Reign of Giants DLC.
Friends-mode = Don't Starve Together.
Unfinished = Shipwrecked DLC.

>>322465434
That's why you always carry a completed campfire and firepit. Just 'build' one and then cancel it. Resources will be consumed but nothing will be placed. You can then place a fire/pit whenever you want without needing to have the materials in your inventory.

That's TWO (2) (II) emergency light/heat sources.
>>
>>322459854
If you feed things like mushrooms to the pig guys, they'll shit for you.
>>
>>322466131
If you feed them red mushrooms, they'll shit themselves to death. Red mushrooms are fucking useless for everything but crockpot filler so hey, might as well. Free poop, halal meat and pig butts.
>>
>>322463695
He wants the D
>>
File: lewd.jpg (49 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
lewd.jpg
49 KB, 427x640
I'm playing Don't Starve Together with my girlfriend

We're about to start our first summer. We found one thing of gears in a tumbleweed, which let us make an icebox to survive the winter. I have explored the entire map and have nowhere left to go. How do I get more gears? Just farm tumble weeds?
>>
>>322467953
Beat up clockworks. There will be some around chess set pieces somewhere on the map. That'll give you a small number.

The real source of Gears is in the ruins. You'll need to find a cave entrance and then find a ruins entrance in that cave. You'll find clockworks down there which will give you more Gears.
>>
File: 1352.jpg (23 KB, 450x500) Image search: [Google]
1352.jpg
23 KB, 450x500
i havent touched the game since my wolfgang playthrough.

i made it to my second summer, fully kitted in endgame gear from the deep caves, thulecite weaons and armour, enough food to stay stronk mode forever.

i aggro the dragonfly when it approaches my base and get 1 shotted because i forgot to wear my armour.
>>
>>322468184
There are no clockworks on my map and there aren't caves in DST
>>
>>322468654
Farming tumbleweeds is the only way then.
Or if you have found a set piece with an icebox, smash it with a hammer.
>>
So, I bought this game recently and played it hard as fuck until I unlocked all the regular characters + Webber. I've finally managed to activate THE THING with Wigfrid and it's put me in a new world. Is it just an infinite loop or have I actually activated "adventure mode" or whatever it's supposed to be.
>>
Is there pvp in don't starve together?
>>
>>322470049
It's an infinite loop.
Adventure mode is started via Maxwell's Door.
Entering adventure mode plonks you down in a new world, but you don't take any of your stuff with you, and if you die within then you return to outside the door with all your stuff.
>>
>>322470318
It can be enabled iirc

but the combat is shit and even worse with online latency, so I don't know why you'd want to
>>
I have Reign of Giants but I never played since Vanilla. Should I? How much has changed now? I also never tried the multiplayer yet. Does that include the content from the expansion(s)?
>>
>>322463226
You drop a berry on the ground, the turkey will waddle towards it and that is when you strike
>>
>>322459069
We don't play any games here**

Fixed that for you, anon
>>
>>322472610
Pretty sure a lot has changed between vanilla and RoG. I think it's much more enjoyable now.

Multiplayer features the RoG content, but currently not caves (there are mods that bring cave content to the surface for multiplayer though).
>>
>>322472610
Reign of Giants adds a lot of content, overall it makes the game more difficult/complex, but the basic gameplay is still the same.

The multiplayer is still in "beta" but has all of the content from RoG except caves
There's an opt-in "cavesbeta" in Steam, but I don't know how functional it is.
>>
File: dont starve charlie.png (86 KB, 192x192) Image search: [Google]
dont starve charlie.png
86 KB, 192x192
There was a time I played it all day. I got to 200 days at most but got bored. Spelunking just requires a lot of preparation for me. The game did give me some good close call moments that you rarely get from playing other games. I was so into it back then, now I can't last a few days without quitting. I tried to play all night time mode but it's too hard since I can't drop my torch on the ground to chop wood.
>>
I can deal with winter and dogs and giants and whatever the fuck but I just can't deal with summer turning my beehives and flower fields to ash in a second. Fuck that.
>>
File: 1319943086100.jpg (6 KB, 251x233) Image search: [Google]
1319943086100.jpg
6 KB, 251x233
>>322460280
>pig village
>strong defense
>>
>>322473878
For hound attacks and queens it's adequate. For bosses, not so much, but mostly because the bosses destroy the houses and make using pigs very inefficient.
>>
Haven't played since RoG.
Is the new DLC worth playing?
>>
>>322474105
Don't forget the fire doges can burn the houses down. Also, it takes longer for them to clear the dogs because they kite like retards in comparison to a herd of beefallos.

also, wereepigs
>>
File: 1434422738387.jpg (26 KB, 280x330) Image search: [Google]
1434422738387.jpg
26 KB, 280x330
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_WPli628G4
>Suddenly Willow is top tier
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.