[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What modern RPG has the most fulfilling combat?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5
File: hard-west.jpg (49 KB, 638x355) Image search: [Google]
hard-west.jpg
49 KB, 638x355
What modern RPG has the most fulfilling combat?
>>
>>322431335
Not sure what you mean by modern, but Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve, for me
>>
Hard west is cool but I wish I didn't have to hunt down enemies so often, especially when I'm supposed to be defending
>>
File: divinity os urns.jpg (429 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
divinity os urns.jpg
429 KB, 1920x1080
>>322431335

I really really liked Divinity: Original Sin's combat. I didn't expect to since most turn based games don't really NEED to be turn based the level of strategy can be done pause and play or real time and so making a combat system turn based just needlessly slows it down but..

D:OS really made turn based work and shine for me. The action points system, the various fields and combinations, the importance of party positioning, linking and unlinking, keeping an enemy distracted in a conversation while an unlinked party member surrounded him in environmental objects before combat starts, also using traps and environmental objects..

It just blew me away and I've played a lot of turn based RPG's in the past that came nowhere near as good.
>>
>>322431335

Dark Souls, as much it is a meme to say so. I kinda hate Dark Souls fans and praise, but it is extremely noteworthy for its solid mechanics and design. Its literally opened by mind to a new way of thinking how to frame/understand all video game combat design (even stuff that plays nowhere like DS)..
>>
Souls games.
>>
>>322432821
Parasite Eve has -not- aged well. The dialogue is clunky and the combat system is pretty simplistic.
I tried playing it over Christmas thinking it'd be the perfect game for the season but couldn't really get into it like I could as a kid.
>>
>>322433315
>>322433323

Souls games have great combat too, I also like Tales games when we're talking real time action combat systems.

in b4 some nigger says action combat can't be an RPG and has to be turn based, I already suggested IMO the best turn based combat system.
>>
Skyrim is great

such a dynamic between ranged weapons, melee, staffs, magic, stealth, dual wield, armor, shields, potions and poisons, and the dragon shouts

That was some fun combat. Haven't really experienced anything that dynamic and smooth since.

Witcher 3 and Dark Souls are a good challenge to the player, but they feel clonky. Even the power attacks in Skyrim didn't feel so slowed down and clonky
>>
>>322433230
given how fucking stupid that fight was I imagined this was the intended way to do it.
I felt so fucking smart at the time.
>>
>>322433907

I love TES games for lore and exploration, but Skyrim's combat was really simplistic and not very involving, and I mean even playing mage wasn't that interesting.

Souls combat is much more nuanced for a real time system.
>>
>>322434121

it almost seemed that way.. considering how many movable urns were in the chamber. It's also not something you normally think of doing... having your partners keep someone talking while you make moves.
>>
What's Hard West? Is it Xcom in a wild west setting?
>>
>>322434130
>was really simplistic and not very involving

I mean, yeah, for the most part it's just aim and pull the trigger, but it's all very fluid and smooth. I just don't see anything like that in any other modern major RPGs
>>
>>322434380
movable objects getting inyour way is certainly something you can experience earlier in the game. LOS blocking to steal shit was always a thing
>>
>>322434548

Pretty much. Except there's also a demons/supernatural element, so it's not just wild west. It's pretty decent, aside from the BLAND world map/exploration/questing element, which is essentially nothing but text boxes. Combat is on point though
>>
>>322434548
Never played it but yes pretty much.
>>
>>322434548

Yeah but no base building and you're not going to get randomly crit and wiped which for me makes it better than XCOM
>>
>>322431335
Disgaea 5 has good combat, its turn based though.
>>
>>322435080
I like turn-based the most, so that makes me way more interested to check out this game now
>>
>>322434701

well using movable objects definitely was always a strategy, it's just the unlinking and keeping a fight from starting by using dialog while you moved stuff part.
>>
>>322433907
>>322434563
>Skyrim
>The most fulfilling combat of modern RPGs
Get your fucking head examined, holy shit.
>>
>>322433907
Is this bait?
>>
>>322433907
>dynamic and smooth
>shitrim
Fucking how?
>>
>>322436371
Be careful when you stare into the mind of an ultracasual, anon. It stares back into thee.
>>
>>322433907
It is true that the combat is the most dynamic of all the Elder Scrolls games. Is it the best? Not sure.
>>
Dragons and Dungeons 3.5
>>
>>322436795
>fulfilling
>>
>>322436748

Oblivion was kind of interesting too. Animations didn't really feel so smooth, but it's a lot different.

I didn't think Morrowind was anything special
>>
>>322436748
>It is true that the combat is the most dynamic of all the Elder Scrolls games.
A distinction that means precisely fuckall in the greater world of RPGs.
>>
>>322436882
>I didn't think Morrowind was anything special
Combat being Morrowind's weakest suit is pretty much a given at this point, so uh...obviously, yeah.
>>
File: dasitman.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
dasitman.webm
3 MB, 800x450
Souls
>>
File: arcanemoonlightsword.webm (3 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
arcanemoonlightsword.webm
3 MB, 600x338
>>322437414
Borne
>>
>>322436921
How does it not? Are you saying the combat options in Skyrim somehow detracted from its value as an RPG?
>>
>>322437764
Divinty Original Sin
>>
Transistor's is pretty nice, letting the player decide to fight either realtime or turn based and making both options viable is really something that Supergiant should be praised for.
>>
>>322438246
>Are you saying the combat options in Skyrim somehow detracted from its value as an RPG?
I am not being cute or sarcastic when I say this: I have absolutely no clue how you could possibly think that was the point of my post. Also Skyrim has no value as an RPG, but that wasn't the point of the post you replied to and neither is it here nor there because I'm not in the mood for debating it with an idiot.
>>
Fallout 4
>>
>>322438596
Well if you think Skyrim is not an RPG then there is no point in debating with you either.
>>
>>322438758
>Well if you think Skyrim is not an RPG
I really hope English isn't your mother tongue. What an embarrassment.
>>
>>322438921
that's correct english retard
>>
>>322439043
That guy read "Skyrim has no value as an RPG" as "Skyrim is not an RPG."
>>
>>322439160
dont ever fucking correct me again
>>
>>322439043
Ahahahaha.
>>
>>322431335
>>322431335

Anything not turn-based for me personally.

I'm finding Turn Based to be a stale as fuck antiquated mechanic that just kinda pisses me off after awhile.

Some games I enjoy it, the majority I don't

I enjoyed it in 7.62, the depth it had was overwhelming.
>>
>>322439208
okay anonymous
>>
>>322439208
don't*
>>
>>322439289
Turn based combat in Bravely Default was great, one of the few ways they successfully innovated in such a basic form of RPG combat.
>>
>>322439551
he replied to you with a meme so that he could salvage his stupidity by acting as though pretending to be retarded had been his intention all along

are you rused yet
>>
>>322439208
don't*
>>
>>322433230
Divinity is fucking awful. It's disgustingly bad. Traps are everywhere, the UI is poor (boxes floating over numbers so you can't see half of your info), and a ton of bullshit exploding clouds everywhere. It's garbage.
>>
>>322440482
Also
>very first combat of the game
>enemy skeleton archer makes a poison cloud
>does a little bit of damage
>"hmm I should probably move my guy out of this poison cloud so I stop taking damage"
>move
>literally take 10 times the damage I just did because damage taken while moving in an elemental cloud is massively higher than just standing still in it
Now that is some genuine bullshit, I don't know why anyone defends that
>>
>>322440482
>I'm bad at the game and it makes me angry >:(
>>
>>322439776
dont ever explain my fucking joke again
>>
File: Fighter.png (145 KB, 257x450) Image search: [Google]
Fighter.png
145 KB, 257x450
>>322431335
Fighter in DD is pretty damn nice.
I'll be the first to admit magic isn't so great with all the charging but sword combat is pretty damn fucking tight.
Assassin sword combat is boring. It's pary/counter/gouge only.
>>
Undertale if it was harder
>>
>>322436226
surely
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.