[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
whats up with this game is it actually good? I keep hearing and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: the-evil-within-wallpaper-hd[1].jpg (776 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the-evil-within-wallpaper-hd[1].jpg
776 KB, 1920x1080
whats up with this game is it actually good? I keep hearing and reading conflicting shit. I want a good fucked-up grisly horror game with a bit of action too. not some piece of shit where I run around hiding in lockers all day like a fucking fag as in most recent bullshit horror games
>>
It's literally re4 with ghosts

I really loved it but I don't think /v/ loves it

if you loved re4 go for it

some chapters are garbage though
>>
>>322401047
Shit was hard. I stopped playing after two levels out of lack of interest.
>>
Re4 feels better.
>>
>>322401047
RE4 with a twist, the twist being that decade old formulas age badly.
>>
Its really difficult unless you seek out all the collectibles to beef yourself up so if your not autistic enough to have a youtube walkthrough showing you were all the shit is just play it on easy its still p. hard.

>inb5 /v/ gets pissed
>>
>>322401047
It's a grimier RE4 without the kung fu fightin'
>>
>>322401529
you can stomp though
>>
>>322401570
Yeah, but no roundhouse kicks or suplexes or any of that.
>>
>unkillable enemies

Who's idea was this?
>>
>>322401047
>I don't want to run and hide

This is not the game for you
>>
It's a solid game. Worth playing. But I found the last chapter very annoying and just gave up.
>>
You now remember how awful the camera in this game was.
>>
File: ap.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ap.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
literally FUCK this game
you have to grind the entire time for bullets and shit. I know that's part of the thrill but FUCK.
I was at some part where you free a friend and then you're immediately bombarded by like 15 zombies but the thing is my gun had like 12 bullets. I tried so many times to pass that part but just ended up uninstalling the game. I had no previous saves so I couldn't go back. I probably used my upgrades on the wrong things though
>inb4 gitgud
>>
>>322402258
never played it huh
>>
>>322402392
they fixed it bruv
>>
>>322402709
Sure did bud. There's a reason why ammo is so scarce.
>>
>>322402709
You literally hide in lockers in the 2nd level.
>>
>>322402794

>scarce

lol just save up on the harpoon bolt and flash bolts and you're safe
>>
File: 1732508-yorky_kong.png (262 KB, 629x323) Image search: [Google]
1732508-yorky_kong.png
262 KB, 629x323
>>322401047
It is a good game. It has some minor issues but that's about it.

It's a survival horror game with solid gameplay, good artstyle, sound direction, decent story, not baby easy, bunch of collectibles, replayability, etc.

It's easily one of the best horror games in recent time, so if you like the genre you should at least give it a go (especially considering how dirt cheap it is).

The DLC is also good and is even more focused on the survival horror aspects.
>>
>tfw maxed out melee damage first thing and it's still garbage

The game had potential, the themes, gore, areas and enemies are all pretty good. Just the story is ass, making it disjointed and chapter based was a mistake and ammo is too scarce, except for the crossbow which I didn't want to really use.
>>
>>322404025
>>tfw maxed out melee damage first thing and it's still garbage

No shit, it was mostly for the stun time and some minor damage.
If you could rape enemies with an "infinite ammo" attack like melee it would have ceased to be survival horror.

Hit them and go for headshots with the handgun.
>>
>>322404415
>If you could rape enemies with an "infinite ammo" attack like melee it would have ceased to be survival horror.

What is Silent Hill
>>
>>322404754
>What is Silent Hill

A series that is good artistically and story wise but has shitty gameplay?
>>
I absolutely adored TEW. The story, characters, and atmosphere are all flawed and/or disjointed, but the gameplay had a lot of variety and, as someone who prefers survival horror style gameplay to action horror, felt like it took RE4's base and shifted it in a more palatable direction. Sure, it's not as smooth as RE4 but I don't think it was trying to be, it's more like a ballsier, weirder take on REvelations. That said, there is some hiding from enemies here and there but there's a lot more action as a whole.

>>322404025

>putting points into melee

I'm sorry for your loss.
>>
I loved this game. I just completed my play through over the holiday's and even though there are some kinks, it was a rewarding experience. It's grisly as fuck and I would definitely recommend it. Now that I've unlocked the machine gun and rocket launcher, it's time for some pay back.

151 deaths
>>
>>322404917
The gameplay in SH is adequate enough to enjoy to warrant playing through and learning the story. The Evil Within's isn't.
>>
>>322401047
It's a good generic 3rd person shooter, just not the spooky survival horror everyone expected this of.
>>
>>322405530

I'd say you have that backwards. You play TEW for the gameplay, not so much anything else. The story does threaten to come together in a way if you play the Kidman DLCs, though.
>>
Great title, fun horror with an emphasis on ammo scarcity and sneaking around enemoes and using traps go kill them. Great fun and one of my favorites of the past gen.
>>
>>322405669
Depends whether you consider RE4 being the beginning of the end of survival horror. Still wish they stuck with 3.5, maybe the whole genre wouldn't be trash now.
>>
>>322402580
gitgud
>>
>>322406168

I consider it the end personally, with Revelations and TEW being well-intentioned attempts at bringing a little of that old style back in a modern context. That said, RE4's a hell of an action game.
>>
>>322405530
I love me some Silent Hill, but the gameplay is rarely worth defending.

I know it can be said that the clunky combat adds to the helplessness of the situation, but I usually switch to easy mode just to dodge around it where I can.
>>
>>322402580
The problem for me was that I came to an impassable puzzle in the last few areas because I barely had any ammo left.

Plenty of upgrades and the like, but no bullets.
>>
>>322406653

Clunky though it may be, I've never had too many issues with combat in the early SH games. I mean, some bosses like the twin Pyramid Heads or God can be a bitch on higher difficulties but as a whole I fight in SH games far more often than I run. I should try a pacifist-esque run with the games someday.
>>
if you're a fan of good old fashioned Japanese horror games, and don't mind some of the aged mechanics and systems typically associated with these games, then you will fucking love this game
>>
>>322406427
It's the modern things that have ruined it

>over the shoulder 3rd person
>currency and upgrade systems
>lack of empasis on puzzles and item finding
>follow the path gameplay
>missions/chapters

>>322406653
I'm not going to bother defending the combat system, but theres a lot more to gameplay then just that.
>>
>>322407029
SH2 was fine for the most part on normal.

Was never a fan of the backtracking through SH4's unkillable enemies though. Frustration kills atmosphere for me.
>>
File: catsoup.png (862 KB, 1206x907) Image search: [Google]
catsoup.png
862 KB, 1206x907
>>322401047
>I keep hearing and reading conflicting shit.

That is because the game is pretty conflicted about itself. At times it wants to be a spooky and moody horror title. Other times it wants to give you over the top boss fights with tons of gimmicks. I appreciate that Mikami wants to switch it up, but too often it just feels uneven, with many sections of the game leading to repetitive instant deaths until you figure out what needs to be done. At times the game opens up a little bit and becomes really good, and those times are amazing. But much of the game is torturing you with tedium and its so frustrating.

I played on a console and the loading times and various unskippable cutscenes and exposition made me want to punch through a wall. On PC the port is a fucking joke, with terrible optimization and a decent amount of ini editing before its playable with mouse and keyboard.

Overall, I liked it even less than Shadows of the Damned.
>>
Was the DLC with Kidman worth getting?

Never did look into it after the cliffhanger ending.
>>
>>322401465
Seriously this.
It's really easy to miss some weapons and bolt types
>>
I played most of the way through and uninstalled at the segment where a guy in full-body armor with an SMG attacks from behind an invisible wall.

TEW suffers from some really really bad level design
>>
>>322407284

While I would like to see a lot of that rectified, it's so far gone from what one can expect from modern games that I'm even willing to accept the baby steps that games like TEW offers. In particular I thought the best chapters were 7 and 9, which were the ones that had the game actually offer a hint of choice in progression, even if it amounted to little more than a 3-pronged fork in the road where you have to go down all 3 anyways. But I do ultimately agree with what you're saying, I just lack optimism that it'll ever be that way again on a grander scale and will take what I can get.
>>
File: kanye-shrug.jpg (60 KB, 503x480) Image search: [Google]
kanye-shrug.jpg
60 KB, 503x480
>>322407629
I thought the PC version was fine, and KB/M worked pretty well.
>>
>>322407680

The Assignment is better than most of the main game on its own merits, The Consequence is a little less good but is still worthwhile and it closes up the storyline, and seeing things from Kidman's perspective actually does make the story make more sense as a whole, not to mention closes on a note that might actually give Sebastian much needed relevance as a character for whatever sequel we'll get.
>>
it's not bad. it's a fun action game that feels like RE4, but as a survival horror game it's the same as pretty much every survival horror game post-RE4
>>
>>322403183
>tfw remembering how you can make the game and dlc a lot darker and harder but you have to beat it first
Why couldn't they have just made that a default option?
>>
>>322408779
>for whatever sequel we'll get.
Wonder what the odds of that are.
>>
>>322409240

Main game justifies it - Survival is basically the warm-up difficulty as Nightmare (and I assume Akumu, as I wasn't insane enough to try it) throws story-based endgame enemies at you almost from the start. Nightmare is balanced for people who have warmed up to the game's mechanics and design, not for those playing for the first time. As for the DLC's Kurayami mode, from a design perspective it'd be kinda dumb to play without lights when you don't know the terrain at all. I'd say that too is for people who already played through it at least once.
>>
>>322409736

From what I understand TEW actually had pretty satisfactory sales despite its divisive reception, so odds are actually looking pretty okay. I'm more confused as to how there isn't a GOTY release with all the DLC or something.
>>
>>322407680
The DLC is pretty much entirely hide n seek where you can't really fight back with guns at all. It's a drastic departure from the main game.
>>
>>322410132

There's a few gun parts but it's definitely focused on the stealth elements.
>>
>>322408779
>actually give Sebastian much needed relevance as a character

That sounds nice. I kept waiting for some big reveal about his connection to Ruvik and the nurse, but I felt like I was grasping at straws.
>>
>>322410364

Yeah, he's just a guy that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Kidman, Jiminez, Leslie, and Ruvik are the real stars of this show, though with the end of the DLCs there's ammo for Sebastian to become a major player.
>>
>>322410364
>>322410831
I still don't get the whole "YOU DID THIS TO US!" thing the blood monster yelled at him.
>>
>>322401240
It gets hella easier after those first 2 levels ironically.

All the OP guns n shit you get make it way easier/fun
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.