[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This was the best, most innovative game of 2015. prove me wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15
File: life-is-strange.jpg (80 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
life-is-strange.jpg
80 KB, 1920x1080
This was the best, most innovative game of 2015.
prove me wrong faggots
>>
>>322372187
I won't because you're right.
>>
File: 1440705160436.jpg (40 KB, 514x384) Image search: [Google]
1440705160436.jpg
40 KB, 514x384
>>322372187
>innovative
>>
>Hours of talking and choices
>Only the last choice has any impact

What a waste. Glad I didn't spend money on it.
>>
>>322372187
>game
>>
File: ud.jpg (314 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ud.jpg
314 KB, 1920x1080
It wasn't even the best interactive movie of the year, let alone game
>>
>innovative
>it's literally Telltale shit with a built-in rewind for your most recent "decision"

???
>>
>Literally won "Most SJW game of the year award"
>>
>>322373463

This. UD was actually pretty impressive on it's own, but especially by comparison.

It's also hilarious that for all it's character and world building, LiS just boils down to "and then everyone dies or everyone doesn't die" in the last 2 minutes. But UD, a fucking horror game that no one really expected to revolve around anything BUT whether the characters survive or not, has so much more interesting variation outside of that, and allowing a character to die isn't treated as particularly significant by comparison and is basically just there for the fun of it.
>>
>>322373676
how abusable is this mechanic exactly? like can a play out every posibility for every conversation before moving on, or can you only do it once per interaction or what?
>>
>>322374294

(Not to mention a fucking sci-fi game, however soft, so ridiculously misinterprets terms like butterfly effect and chaos theory, while UD implements them in appropriately unpredictable yet believable ways).
>>
>>322372187
>le movie simulator 2015 tumblr edition

how exactly was it innovative? or is lacking a coherent narrative in a story-driven game now considered "innovation?"
>>
Rewinding is so innovative
>>
>game
>>
File: medic.png (1 MB, 1649x940) Image search: [Google]
medic.png
1 MB, 1649x940
Find me a game in 2015 that didn't rely on the following to sell:

>little girls (that means Splatoon)
>Dressing up anime kids in skimpy outfits (Xenoblade)
>cinematics (Metal Gear and Life is Strange)
>violence and gore (Bloodborne, Hatred, Monster Hunter)
>Sex and fanservice (Fire Emblem, Smash brothers DLC, Indivisible)
>realistic graphics (any gruff white first person shooter)
>ironic cutesy and/or retro 8 bit graphics (Kirby, Yoshi, Mario)
>memes (Undertale)

A game without any of these is the only one deserving of "innovative", because it took risks without relying on safety nets. It actually relied on gameplay to work.
>>
>>322375193
Dragon Quest Heroes, it may have had a few of those things, but didnt rely on them to sell.
>>
>>322374480
>like can a play out every posibility for every conversation before moving on

You can't play it out beyond the scene you're currently in but yeah you can look at what exactly will happen and afterwards your main character will tell you "WOW THAT WAS TOTALLY THE WRONG DECISION" every time.
>>
>>322374676
(you are a faggot)
>>
>>322375193
Find me a game that didn't rely on all you listed and

>SJW pandering (life is strange)
>>
>>322375193
Fifa 2016 confirmed for most innovative game of the year
>>
>>322372187
Undertake
>>
>>322372187
No choices mattered as the result of the power of this absolutely droll protagonist, Max. The two main characters are akin to caricatures. One, a flat and boring Max, the other, a rebel with a stepfather, Chloe. Dialogue was hand-fisted and written by a couple of old frogs trying to touch base with another generation.

This game did nothing innovative past an stomach-able storyline. Puzzles were boring and painted out for you. In reality, they were secondary to this boring mundane reality they painted around teenage angst.
Point and clicks have been around for quite some time. OP, tell me how else they innovated on the genre.
>>
>innovative
Like those graphics?
>>
File: Steel Strider.png (501 KB, 400x526) Image search: [Google]
Steel Strider.png
501 KB, 400x526
>>322375371

Relied too much on nostalgic pandering and a very poor anime artstyle. If it didn't look like Dragon Ball Z, I highly doubt it would get much attention. It seems okay in the gameplay department (at least from what we've seen so far), so I'll give it that.

>>322375530

>Find me a game that didn't rely on all you listed
Pic related.
>>
>>322375571

Fifa tries too hard to mimic realistic graphics, to the point where they dumb down the gameplay to accomodate dudebros who hate "video gamey" segments, like over-the-top actions in previous games.
>>
Why would anyone want to play an angsty art school girl waste her time travel powers in the most boring way possible?>>322372187
>>
>>322375193
>putting the new mgsV under cinematics
>puting monsterhunter on violence and gore
>putting fire emblem under sex and fanservice
>>
>>322375834
You obviously have not played Fifa and/or don't have enough interest in football to judge the game on its merits.
>>
File: kate.jpg (40 KB, 425x516) Image search: [Google]
kate.jpg
40 KB, 425x516
>>
>>322375193

>Who's the Daddy
>>
>>322376081

>football

No, I'm pretty sure Fifa 2k16 is about Futbol. What you're referring to is American Football. There's quite a difference.
>>
File: 1449749064183.webm (3 MB, 1920x900) Image search: [Google]
1449749064183.webm
3 MB, 1920x900
Episode 5 really shit the bed but despite that had some good moments; everything in reverse, infinite hallway, max and chloe on the cliff. The previous 4 episodes were pretty stellar.

It's not the best game of 2015 but Max and Chloe are some of the most memorable characters of the year.

Also, good licensed soundtrack.
>>
>>322376352
Fuck off sperg
>>
>Rewind mechanic
>"Oh cool, what a clever acknowledgement of savescumming, just think of all the clever ways this could be used as both a gameplay mechanic, storytelling device and metacommentary!"
>Character almost never acknowledges the information given from alternate outcomes, mechanic is forever nuked at the end as far as this universe is concerned by being pointlessly integrated into the plot

>Investigative gameplay
>"Oh cool, so instead of just being an interactive movie where we click through conversations and walk places, it's really up to us to interact with this world and understand it if we want to make informed choices and do well!"
>Character almost never acknowledges information seen through optional investigation, information very rarely gets integrated into the story or gameplay, every player ends with the exact same understanding of the story, and taking the time to investigate it yourself is basically as good as reading spoilers then setting yourself up for disappointment when that's all that's ultimately revealed

>Storyline centred on intimate human drama that stands on it's own, not dependant on typical life and death stakes that players have long become desensitised to
>lolno

Any other areas of squandered potential?
>>
>>322376352
>futbol

maybe if you're a spic. here in the first world, we call it soccer.
>>
>>322372187
game was boring as fuck and the ending was the shittiest thing ever made in the history of vidya
prove me wrong faggot
>>
>>322375907

First point: MGS has how many cinematics? If it's over 1 hour, it's too much of a movie. And as we've seen with """games""" like TLOU and The Order, no amount of gameplay can justify having to sit through all of that. Granted, it's not as bad as that abomination known as MGSIV, but it's still worth noting that we shouldn't be so tolerant of such movie-heavy games.

Second point: You go around either tranqing or murdering monsters, ripping pieces off of them to use in equipment. I find that a bit too edgy. It's like Hatred's excessive edge. Does it really make the game better? Or is it there for the kids who want to look more mature by playing games with excessive violence in them?

>third point
The games have become waifu and romance simulators, as the new FE would testify.
>>
>>322376642

>here in the first world, we call it soccer.

But >>322376081 said "Football" specifically. I was just making a correction. Sorry if I sounded a little off.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (51 KB, 401x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
51 KB, 401x200
>>322372187
It was so fucking great and the characters had so much development... but the ending was so predictable, and basically any choice made during the game meant nothing
>>
>>322376685
You haven't played MGSV or TLoU, stop posting worthless opinions
>>
>>322372187
>most innovative game of 2015.
why post a movie?
>>
>>322376803
Soccer is short for association football
>>
>>322376570

>every player ends with the exact same understanding of the story

You mean the story at large right? Because two playthroughs could be pretty different. I befriended a lot of the students, lost Kate, saved Frank and Pompidu, got Step-Douche kicked out. There's lots of ways a playthrough of LiS can be different, just not so much the endings.
>>
File: 1418942154974.png (331 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1418942154974.png
331 KB, 1920x1080
>>322372187
>>
>>322377041
>pedophilia: the game
>>
>>322377038
>x can either live or die
>if you're a bitch, they're a bitch, if you're nice, they're nice
such innovative
>>
File: 1445789564150.png (980 KB, 1280x636) Image search: [Google]
1445789564150.png
980 KB, 1280x636
>>322376256
>Not naming it "Witness me"
Also LiS was a surprise hit for me. I went in for the "ironic" experience, but fell in love with the sound track and overall story/message. Sure Warren was /v/ incarnate and cringey as hell. And sure Chloe was pretty irritating with "muh Rachael and muh dad", but the characters felt real. They had flaws and weren't waifu bait. That alone puts it above other games this year.
>>
Ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah
>>
File: 1415340385853.jpg (137 KB, 1834x1709) Image search: [Google]
1415340385853.jpg
137 KB, 1834x1709
>>322377167
>
>>
File: Untitled.png (159 KB, 808x472) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
159 KB, 808x472
>>322376905

>you haven't played these two cinematic experiences
I tried "playing" them, but it was like playing a movie off of netflix. There has to be gameplay to "play" it, you know. Unfortunately, shuffing around cramped hallways does not a game make, or Gone Home would be a high nominee in that category.

Pic related. I've also assembled a visual aid.
>>
>ctrl+f hella
>phrase not found
This thread is hella lame.
>>
>>322377184

Never said anything about innovation, even on the SJW front it isn't that innovative. But to say none of the choices mattered is wrong. People just got so burned by the ending they forgot the rest of the game.
>>
>>322372187
I wouldn't say innovative, but it's a pretty nice game. I wasn't expecting to like it so much.
>>
>>322372187
Why aren't these threads on automatically banned by these useless redditor moderators and janitors? Are you trying to push some kind of agenda down my throat for free or is moot: shitskin version getting paid for this? This is not a fucking video game. I'm sick of this shit and I'm sick of all these fucking faggot reddit crossposters.
>>
File: Chloe_Profile.png (611 KB, 626x978) Image search: [Google]
Chloe_Profile.png
611 KB, 626x978
DUDE
>>
>>322377792
>all that build, no pay off, literally reducing the game to 1 out of 2 choices like Mass Effect 3

Literally made everything worthless and I liked Life is Strange
>>
>>322377880
>le redpill meeme!!
>stop forcing me to see things i don't like!
>I only like my opinions to be discussed!
>>
i outright refuse to play any games with ashley burch in them
>>
>>322377792

How do they matter? Just because they happen, doesn't mean they matter. Doesn't mean they make the game any more interesting. They are literally the most bottom of the barrel superficial options of variation.
>>
>be nice to everyone
>save Chloe
>everyone is dead

>be nice to everyone
>kill Chloe
>time is reset so you weren't ever nice to them
>>
>>322377980
This is unforgivable but the game does have some redeeming factors besides the shitty ending, some choices in the game do matter and carry consequences, Kate's survival, Victoria taking your warning seriously, and various other characters and their attitude towards you, it all counts.

>>322377880
It actually is a video game, you can die and/or fail in a lot of cases, the game is full of objectively right/wrong decisions, and has some light puzzles.
>>
>>322378301

The choices didn't effect anything substantial in Episode 5 but the emotions during and after some of those events still exist. Failing to save Kate, ODing Chloe, and getting David kicked out still have an affect on me. Sure I could get pissed that everything got wiped clean on one ending but I'm more of an ' the adventure is more important than the destination' person
>>
>>322379336
>ome choices in the game do matter and carry consequences, Kate's survival, Victoria taking your warning seriously, and various other characters and their attitude towards you, it all counts

Not if you choose Chloe
>>
>>322372187
Unterale exists
>>
>>322379336
None of the choices matter and it is literally impossible to die. There are no right or wrong decisions either since none of them matter.
I've played this shit game four times, nothing matters. The difference between paths is miniscule
>>
>>322380082
Why did you play it 4 times if it's shit?
>>
>>322380427
Because he's a /v/irgin, even if he likes a game he needs to be cynical about at some level. Also, waifufag probably.
>>
>>322379347

Kate dying and David potentially being kicked out are pretty reasonable consequences, since Kate's situation was high stakes emotion (and bonus points for being significantly impacted by detail-oriented sleuthing), and getting David kicked out robs you of a pretty long and interesting/humanising conversation with him.
But everything else is utterly inconsequential and unimaginative, and do nothing to actually see through the emotions they incite or do anything remotely interesting.
>>
File: 911.jpg (141 KB, 960x717) Image search: [Google]
911.jpg
141 KB, 960x717
>>322372187
>Game.
>>
>>322379347
>' the adventure is more important than the destination'
That's not what that phrase means and I really wish people would stop using it as a copout excuse for shitty endings.
All it means is to not be so fixated on getting to your destination that you miss the joy of the journey - don't skip to the last page, because it's useless without the process of getting there. Which doesn't apply to LiS since you can pretty much play the demo then skip to the final scene and be no worse off.
>>
>>322380427
I wanted to see different storylines
They weren't different
>>
>>322381515
That sucks anon, but now I can understand our differences. I played the game only once, and I believe it was time well spent. Wouldn't play it again though. I don't think the devs counted on people replaying their movie game either.
>>
>>322381325

So I should just forget everything I felt throughout the game because the endings negated the choices? The emotions I felt throughout the game, up to the last half of Episode 5, still outweigh the disappointment I felt from the endings.

Hell you could watch the endings on youtube and understand that all the choices didn't affect them, but you'd be missing out on all the emotional highs and lows throughout the game.
>>
>>322382046

You can feel however you want, doesn't automatically make the game good.
The devs missed an insane amount of opportunities to actually follow through on the emotions elicited by their choices, but instead they just left it up to our imaginations:) even within the game itself.
Don't give them credit for what you did on your own.
Being scared that Nathan might reasonably come after you if you got him suspended doesn't matter, because nothing actually happens. Feeling guilty about stealing the handicapped fund doesn't matter, because well duh you stole a handicapped fund, that's what happens. Being sad that Kate died doesn't matter, you're going to have the same out of place pool party with Chloe 10 minutes later either way.
>>
>>322375193
Rocket League, but I wouldn't call it innovative.
>>
>>322381515
Didn't you notice that after only two playthroughs?
Why did you keep going?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.