[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I buy it, /v/? >pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1
File: poe.jpg (54 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
poe.jpg
54 KB, 460x215
Should I buy it, /v/?
>pic related
>>
If you like classic CRPGs, sure.
>>
>>322361571
No
>>
Is the White March essential get if I buy it?
T: not op
>>
>>322361657
Decent combat romp with a lot of neat weapons. No story that I can remember, though.
>>
Nigga if it has a GoG torrent then its just begging to be pirated.
>>
>>322361571
I had some great time with it but expect some boring trash mobs battles, white march is way better than original
>>322361746
nigga you should fuck off no one asked for your opinion
>>
it has neogaf references in it.

no.
>>
>>322361571
No, its a broken pile of rubbish with half the features poorly implemented or nor even fully included. Combat is literally a roadblock that makes grinding in JRPGs look diverse, as you'll be fighting the same/similar packs of enemies throughout the game with little to no change in skills or tactics. No interesting loot to be found, the world and lore is a complete mess and the writers forgot that a story needs this thing called a premise and characters need this thing called motivation.

It's literally about finding a person that happened to be on the scene when you got afflicted by a curse that people randomly get afflicted by through random events relating to their past lives, so you decide that the person that was near you at the time will somehow be able to cure your condition and everyone just goes along with it at risk of their very lives even though they have literally nothing to gain
>Let me come with you because I have nothing to lose
LEGIT MAN COME JOIN!
>Let me follow you around fighting death cults and shit which is entirely and utterly unrelated to my actual goals because you could possibly maybe help me achieve those goals at some point perhaps possibly.
COOL SOUNDS GOOD!
>>
>>322362398
?
>>
>>322362483
it literally has the site owners image in it as a playable character, solid no from me.
>>
>>322361657
it adds some good side content, along with very good unique weapons and armor.
>>
>>322362462
>>Let me come with you because I have nothing to lose
>LEGIT MAN COME JOIN!
>>Let me follow you around fighting death cults and shit which is entirely and utterly unrelated to my actual goals because you could possibly maybe help me achieve those goals at some point perhaps possibly.
>COOL SOUNDS GOOD!
what did you expect from a baldurs gate kind of game?
>>
>>322362610
that's it? who gives a shit you fucking autistic meme retard
>>
>>322363001
if you support that cunt site then i hope you die
>>
>>322362610
Also the Goose and Fox.

It'll never fix the terrible itemization or the boring characters, but the IE Mod makes the game a lot more playable though. Can disable that engagement shit, make sneaking faster, buffs before battles etc.
>>
>>322361657
The White March is best experience if you haven't played the base game before because it adds side content rather than a new post-endgame campaign.
>>
>>322363045
grow up manchild, i don't browse neogaf
>>
>>322362462
Everything in this post is completely false.
>>
>>322362825
NWN2 for all it's faults handled it well, Khelgar had good reason to travel with you and he quite welcomed the danger, Neeshka owed you her life and was desperate, Elanee saves your ass and is up front about keeping an eye on you, and you're in a position where you really can't afford to refuse the help.

In PoE it often makes no sense to bring along the companions, Eder is a random bumpkin disliked by the local populace, the same people you will be trying to fit in with for the rest of the game, same goes for Aloth, who is an unstable mage who literally can't keep himself from causing trouble and then you have Durance, a rambling hobo who spouts some bullshit about judging your worth that you have absolutely no reason to care about, and you have no reason to drag his hobo ass around either.

You also have no reason to be there, or stay there, when traveling to a different province where research into your condition isn't condemned and more commonplace is an option, whereas in NWN2 you'd still be fucked because the Gith are after you specifically.
>>
>>322363438
Good argument there kid, and why should someone take you seriously when this is all you bring to the table?
>>
>>322363921
>NWN2
If you liked this abomination more than poe than i have to respect for you, at least post motb if you want to make comparison
>Eder is a random bumpkin
Eder wanted your help to find answers about his dead brother becuse you can speak to souls
>same goes for Aloth
he was a leaden key agent with a mission to spy on you
>Durance, a rambling hobo
no comment
>>
>>322361571
I would say no right now until they iron out the bugs. I'm not even talking about major bugs here. The last major bug is that quicksave destroys your savegame. Minor bugs are like items disappearing, stats not displaying correctly etc.

I like it so far and it's a steal for 20 bucks but wait until they patch the fucking game.
>>
>>322361571
No. This game is pure fan service. It was made to be a true BG III even to the point where they left outdated controls and mechanics into the game.
>>
>>322364934
>Eder wanted your help
Yes, great, the issue here is why did you want his help? Why the fuck would you trust him at all? He's disliked to the point where he's about to skip town and his interest in you comes from the fact that you were staring at corpses for far too fucking long. You'd have to be retarded to think bringing him along is a good idea.

>He was a leaden key agent with a mission to spy on you
Same issue, you have NO reason to trust him and bring him along, his introduction is him picking fights with random peasants against his own apparent will, showing two-faced duplicity at best and utter uncontrollable insanity at worst.

>NWN2; if you liked this abomination more than poe
Literally better than PoE on every level except graphics and controls, two things I don't find very important in an RPG. Combat is more interesting and far more diverse, actually worthwhile, your decisions are actually meaningful and make a difference rather than getting ignored by literally everyone, the keep is actually properly implemented rather than a rushed trophy piece and the story actually makes sense.

MotB is fucking amazing, NWN2 is decent at best, PoE is worthless garbage.

PoE doesn't fucking deserve the comparison to MotB.
>>
Have you played Divinity Original Sin? That's the better RPG of that year.
>>
>>322364934
>PoE is better than NwN 2 regular campaign
Are we approaching memery?
>>
>>322365807
Honestly man Div;OS was my GOTY of 2014 and I've just finished the enhanced edition this week, but I'm not sure if I can call it an RPG with how mellow and largely meaningless the character interactions are. They're there, they do what they must, but dialogue and character interaction isn't the strong point there. Div;OS excels for exploration, combat and just the sense of adventure.
>>
>>322366320
Fair enough, I know what you mean. I really just enjoyed it because I thought the magic system was great. Best game for spellswords there ever way.
>>
The biggest problem was how dense they made the background story. I was more interested in the Godwar than in the main story.

Dungeon design also sucked major ass.
>>
>>322365667
>Yes, great, the issue here is why did you want his help?
because your powers? are you dense?
>Why the fuck would you trust him at all?
who said anything about trust? did you trusted Khelgar immediately? oh wait i'ts a moronic d&d moral system so you could
>You'd have to be retarded
comes from a nwn2 enthusiast
>same issue, you have NO reason to trust him and bring him along
by your logic most rpg protagonists should avoid having a party at all, it's a video game for fuck's sake
>Combat is more interesting and far more diverse, actually worthwhile
combat was a disaster, at this point i'm pretty sure that you're baiting
>your decisions are actually meaningful
elaborate
the keep is actually properly implemented rather than a rushed trophy piece
true
>and the story actually makes sense.
generic d&d nonsense, poe while still generic is way above anything from nwn2

are you a codex agent?
>>
>Tfw want to enjoy Sword Coast Legends, but having conversations with people and examining things just slows the game down so much
>>
>>322367012
The writing just drops the ball so many times.
>You're sick as shit, so much so they stopped the caravan on your behalf (oh and also there's a roadblock!)
Ok now go and find the cure for yourself even though you don't know what the fuck you're looking for and you're sick as shit, just take the caravan guard you to show you the way
>Wait what, why the fuck do you send someone sick as shit out into the bushes to pick herbs when she could literally go do it alone and not be bogged down by me?

OK so, shit went down, turns out you're not sick as shit at all, that water they told you that you desperately needed (they didn't have any water on them at the caravan either for some reason?) you can safely deposit on some statue with no negative consequences for your health, and everything you've been told so far is either downright wrong, contrived or utterly nonsensical.

And that's before the fucking tutorial ends. It gets so, so much worse.
>>
>>322367116
>Because your powers?
No you incomprehensible illiterate mongol, WHY DO YOU THE PLAYER WANT HIM THE NPC TO COME ALONG WITH YOU, WHY DO YOU NEED HIM, NOT "WHY DOES HE NEED YOU" HOLY SHIT YOU RETARDED IMBECILE HOW DO YOU FAIL AT READING THIS BADLY

>Who said anything about trust?
Hurrrr durrr how does roleplaying work in a roleplaying game hurrrrrr
>Did you trust Khelgar immediately?
Since he actually risked his life to help you and you're desperate for help since armed forces are out to kill you, yea, you kind of have no choice, with Eder you have no immediate risk threatening you, and having him with you makes no fucking sense since literally every local will fucking hate you for associating with the guy they planned to lynch.

>NWN2 enthusiast
LEARN. TO. FUCKING. READ.

>Hurrr by your logic even though you gave an example of it being done right most rpg protagonists should avoid having a party at all
Really nigger? You literally have evidence contrary to your claim in the fucking post you replied to, what the fuck is wrong with you
>I think PoE is good!
Oh right, should've figured reading and logic weren't your forte.
>Combat was a disaster
Compared to PoE? It was brilliant, but comparing a turd to diarrea is still just comparing shit.
>Elaborate
Many choices in the first chapter affect characters and events in later chapters (killing the lizardmen instead of negotiating with them has consequences for the final chapter, and many more such events), the trial for example but also the way the characters react to events. PoE has none of that, most characters don't respond to your choices at all and you can kill local lords without the populace batting an eye.
>Generic D&D nonsense
That's setting, not story you imbecile.
>>
the setting and writing in general is very dull
combat is okay i guess, nothing to write home about but it's functional and stuff
stat system is really flawed and skewers roleplaying possibilities
stronghold system is incomplete and serves no purpose other than to drain your money, sadly

pirate
do not purchase
>>
>>322369220
I got this on the Steam sale last weekend and I honestly regret it. This anon describes it well. RNG is shit, story is honestly pretty bland sword and sorcery. Pirate.
>>
>>322369832
>RNG is shit
what do you mean?
>>
>>322368274
>WHY DO YOU THE PLAYER WANT HIM THE NPC TO COME ALONG WITH YOU
like a said, because your powers
it is safer and more logical to travel in group after seeing some ancient machine sucking up souls from people and realising afterward that you can communicate with the dead and see other people souls
your point friendo?
>Hurrrr durrr how does roleplaying work in a roleplaying game hurrrrrr
you could roleplay it by having an eye on him and keep watching his every move
>Since he actually risked his life to help you
beceuse he's another generic d&d companion
>LEARN. TO. FUCKING. READ.
i'm good, how about you?
>Many choices in the first chapter affect characters and events in later chapters (killing the lizardmen instead of negotiating with them has consequences for the final chapter, and many more such events), the trial for example but also the way the characters react to events
hah wow, seriously?
>That's setting, not story you imbecile.
d&d setting is always a limitation for any story, even torment suffeted from this
Why you mad tho? you worthless nostalgia filled codex scum, you mad?
>>
>>322361571
If you haven't yet then probably not.
>>
The gameplay is okay-ish, the visuals are nice but the story,characters and setting are fucking dull as shit.
>>
>>322370302
>It is safer to travel in a group
True, but grouping up with a hated individual in a hostile environment is fucking retarded, how do you still not get this you mongoloid?
>You could roleplaying it by having an eye on him and keep watching his every move
>I'm sick, suffer from insomnia and delusions but I'll keep this guy around and watch his every move because he offered to come with me!!
Fucking. Retarded.
>Because he's another generic D&D companion
This isn't an argument, it's a vapid claim with no context or meaning, what the fuck is "a generic D&D companion" even? What defines a character as such?
>I'm good
You're a fucking joke, if your objective was clowning around you'd have a point.
>Hah wow seriously
Just keep quiet if you have no arguments, this is just embarrassing.
>D&D setting is always a limitation for any story
No shit? Doesn't say fuck all about the story as a whole though, unless you think the setting is defining for the story in which case you're retarded, which we've already established you are so don't even bother providing further confirmation.
>Hurrrr codex
You've spoken more about that website than I have anon, could you perhaps stop childishly projecting your strawmans and stick to the actual argument you're so desperately avoiding? No? Then keep quiet.
>>
>>322364039
Oh, you were actually being serious with that drivel? I thought you were just shitposting.
Okay then >>322362462
>No, its a broken pile of rubbish with half the features poorly implemented or nor even fully included.
Entirely meaningless statement until you elaborate with specifics.
>Combat is literally a roadblock that makes grinding in JRPGs look diverse
Combat is always roadblock, that doesn't mean anything. I assume you're trying to say it isn't "fun" which is entirely subjective and as a statement has no value to anyone who doesn't know your specific tastes.
>as you'll be fighting the same/similar packs of enemies throughout the game with little to no change in skills or tactics
Even on normal difficulty this is false as the level of challenge between various enemy types differs greatly.
The only time it holds true if you're going through an area that you have vastly overleveled.
>No interesting loot to be found
I remember finding plenty.
>the world and lore is a complete mess and the writers forgot that a story needs this thing called a premise
It does have a premise, genius. The premise of the world is explained in exhaustive detail and the main plot of the game ties directly into that premise and reveals it's deeper secrets.
If you're referring to the premise of your character then that is also explained to you. You were journeying to Gilded Veil with a Caravan when shit went down and you became a Watcher. The rest of the plot follows entirely logically from there in accordance to the premise of how the world operates.
>and characters need this thing called motivation.
Every single one of them has it. The only way you wouldn't know that is if you skipped their companion quests entirely.
>It's literally about finding a person that happened to be on the scene when you got afflicted by a curse
No it isn't. First it's about finding out what the shit is wrong with you. That search then leads to another and so on and so forth.

tl;dr you're wrong
>>
>>322371973
Read the thread anon, all the shit you've talked about has already been discredited before you even said it, and I'm not about to repeat it again.

Better yet, call your handler and have them explain it to you, because reading is clearly difficult for you
>>
>>322371090
>True, but grouping up with a hated individual in a hostile environment is fucking retarded
still safer then traveling alone in a hostile environment, how do you still not get this you mongoloid?
>I'm sick, suffer from insomnia and delusions but I'll keep this guy around and watch his every move because he offered to come with me!!
there is always a limit for roleplaying because video games, it's not a pen and paper rpg
I should call you the king of cherry picking
>This isn't an argument
>what the fuck is "a generic D&D companion" even?
a little goody chaotic/neutral/awful good two-shoes, just like Khelgar
>You're a fucking joke, if your objective was clowning around you'd have a point.
because i'm arguing with either baiting shitposter who have shit taste or a nostalgic grognard from codex, you're probably both
>You've spoken more about that website than I have anon, could you perhaps stop childishly projecting your strawmans and stick to the actual argument you're so desperately avoiding? No? Then keep quiet.
I know your kind scum, you're not fooling me
Pillars of eternity is a better game than vanilla nwn2, that's a fact
no perfect by any means, solid 7/10 by my judgement
hush now degenerate go cry somewhere else
>>
>>322367568
>It gets so, so much worse.
Do tell.
>>
>>322372403
>all the shit you've talked about has already been discredited before you even said it,
Literally hasn't.
>>
>>322373095
>Making enemies out of the local populace who are likely to attack you or not help if you're attacked is better than traveling alone
You're retarded, I'm actually just done here.
>>
>>322373315
>Making enemies out of the local populace
angry peasants are not real enemies
>You're retarded, I'm actually just done here
you're done here because you got told, now fuck off to codex
>>
>>322373120
Well, after sleeping through a storm in some ancient ruins, you go outside to see a local cult powering up an ancient machine, you pass out and the people you have with you are dead on the ground (entirely unexplained, the storm was gone by the time you went outside) you've become a Watcher, a cursed being who's can read souls and shit, but your own past lives start bleeding into your psyche driving you insane. While passed out you had some visions including the apparently leader of the cult you saw earlier but not much else.

You walk around, see random hallucinations, and decide you need medical help at the nearest town.

You are apparently totally fine, and fight your way through wolves and bandits and the like no problem, arriving at the town it turns out the premise that you were invited to live here was entirely false, the local regent is completely paranoid and distrustful of outsiders and you're basically told there's no place for you here, the local doctor is also hanging from a nearby tree, dead.

So fuck medical help, you go to sleep at the inn and get a vision of the dead healer in your sleep, prompting you to go talk to her corpse and get told by her residual soul (which is still there for largely unexplained reasons, mostly it's just very convenient and contrived) that you're a Watcher now, and your best chance is to go look for a local Watcher who might help you with your condition.

So you track down the Watcher after some nonsense, and find him stark raving mad, you use your Watcher powers to stabilize his condition and he becomes lucid, then explains to you what a Watcher is and what it means (You can become a watcher due to just about anything, he explains he himself became a watcher after looking at a fireplace, which triggered his "awakening") and that you're doomed to go insane like he has. There is no treatment, and no cure.
>>
>>322374226
Now, sensibly you've just learned the following:
The pretense that drew you here was false, there is nothing of value for you in the area.
Your condition is incurable and untreatable

In addition; The area you're currently in forbids and discourages "animancy" which basically studies your condition and matters related to the soul, and would be the most sensible way to treatment and cure, there are countries out there that actively encourage the study of animancy, and you haven't got a single reason not to pack up and go there to get help

So obviously you decide to track down that one guy that was in the area when you were awakened even though you literally have no reason to believe he's anything more than someone who's face you knew in a past life, stay in the local area that hates foreigners and animancy where you have no connections, no income, no home (oh but this cool cursed ruin of a castle that killed off all previous owners sure is appealing!) and really no reason to stay.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.