[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is turn-based outdated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: turnbased.png (311 KB, 1066x688) Image search: [Google]
turnbased.png
311 KB, 1066x688
>>
no eg pokemon
>>
It should've been but nobody bothers to design good we-go systems
>>
NFL is pretty popular.
>>
No, that's fucking retarded. No videogame, or movie, or show or food or anything creative or artistic is ever "outdated." The only things that get outdated is shit like computer hardware, or cars or something, where advances in technology have just led to stuff that is literally better in every way, mathematically with no room for preference.

If you think turn based combat is outdated, you're just an egotistical loudmouthed fuck who goes around stating their shit opinions as fact.
>>
>>322360031
If you're not an ADD riddled 12 year old, it's fine.
>>
It's "outdated" in the same sense that Opera is an "outdated" music form, ie not at all
>>
File: 1381002773026.jpg (54 KB, 531x691) Image search: [Google]
1381002773026.jpg
54 KB, 531x691
>>322360031
>turn based games are the chess of the video games community
>>
XCom, Shadow run and every party based rpg for decades would disagree
>>
No, it's just been poorly developed over the years. Recent RPGs either use the same old systems with little to no innovation, or they favor an auto-pilot style that honestly has been around just as long.
>>
are books outdated? yes but that's not stoping them from being good
both old and new gameplay styles can coexist
I want to kill nintendo
>>
>>322360031
>IMMERSION
this word triggers me
>>
>>322360031
No but we do need to update the graphics. None of this standing around stuff taking turns hitting each other stuff. The gift should be cinematic. It should look like something out of a GoW QTE, or a David Cage game.
>>
Turn based will always have its place. I'm not too big on turn-based rpgs, I do enjoy Fallout 1 and 2, but I'm more big into strategy games
The thing about turn based is that there has to be a drive to ensure players want to go for that next turn. I enjoy Total War because each turn starts with nice little icons in the corner saying "hey, you've finished X, what do you want to build next?" As buildings take multiple turns and have great potential impact for said territory, you want those projects to finish, in order to help you for all your future turns.
However, total war also does something real neat: it includes real time battles inside your turns. This way, you get your action fix, the clash of steel, the spilling of blood, the roar of the cannon. It gets you excited with each victory, as your next conquest lies just around the next turn, as your armies lay siege and make chase to the enemy generals.
The same kind of goes for Civ 5. While I'm not the biggest fan of the army footslog that takes 15 minutes to move your forces against the enemy army, there's that same drive towards building and managing relationships between turns that make you want to utilize your time wisely, planning your next move, and thinking about ways to grow.
>>
File: 1410799742524.jpg (41 KB, 480x622) Image search: [Google]
1410799742524.jpg
41 KB, 480x622
>>322360225
>>
Most complaints can all be solved with proper visual design. Take Last Remnant, you could see your units move and attack while you picked commands. It was all inconsequential dodges and parries too, so it was still 100% turn based with no hurry.
>>
>>322360265
Regarding cars, fuel injectors are better than carburetors, and limited-slip differentials are better than standard, but most recent "innovation," say continuously variable transmissions, is largely missteps. The trouble with adding more gadgetry to cars is that they become more likely to break down. So at least in my opinion, there's plenty of room for preference going back to the early 80s.
>>
>>322360470
Disgaea is the clasiest yet, I'll tell ya what.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.