[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metroidvania Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: axiom.png (49 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
axiom.png
49 KB, 480x272
I absolutely love the Metroid games, specifically Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, and I'm wondering if I should pick up Axiom Verge. I've had my eye on it since it came out but I really don't want to be disappointed. Is it the Super Metroid 2 I've been waiting for or is it a flop?

Metroidvania thread, I guess.
>>
when for the vita?
>>
>>322357439
It's not a flop, but it's really overrated.

A better metroid type game would be Environmental Station Alpha. It's not really an unknown game, but the graphics are much more shit, although ESA is a more legit metroid game than Axiom Verge.
>>
File: 1405657227817.jpg (72 KB, 494x640) Image search: [Google]
1405657227817.jpg
72 KB, 494x640
>>322357658
What's wrong with it? I just checked out ESA and the art style would definitely bother me but I'll keep it in mind if it's that much better.
>>
>>322357439
Axiom Verge has
+ Great OST
+ Very well executed artstye
+ Cool story
+ dat old Atmosphere
+ Great exploration
- Terrible Boss Fights
- Not much creativity in weapon rooster

the game is very well made man,
a solid 8/10 because I dont like to trash games for the sake of it
and because is the metroid nintendo is not making
>>
>>322358015
>What's wrong with it?
Axiom Verge? Well, it's a pretty straight forward game. The bosses aren't too hard, the gameplay isn't too hard. There probably won't be a lot of times where you're stumped about where to go. The third weapon you get is indisputably the best weapon in the game, so even though there's lots of weapons hidden in the map you probably won't need them.

I guess that's about it. The graphics look okay too, so all around it's a pretty okay game. Not really great. Just okay.

Just think Environmental Station Alpha was just a better game. It's not ball bustingly hard, but the ambiance and setting of the game I think works better here. But yeah, very low resolution graphics.
>>
>>322358348
Is it long enough to justify spending $14 on it or is it a nice piracy game?
>>
another one of these threads?

Alright, here we go

>axiom verge
>main character is a fedora wearing, self-enlightened nerd with dreadlocks
>trenchcoats are the outfit of choice
>story of the game is that he thinks hes too smart for the universe to handle
>all but one or two of the optional weapons are worth the effort in getting, literally 90% of the collectibles in the game are completely filler and are worse than you default weapons
>glitch ray is as useful as the spinner from twilight princess, is only actually useful in the few areas that absolutely require it
>game drags on and ends up being nothing more than a timewasting bore

fuck axiom verge, mad props to the guy who made it though. The entire game was all done by one guy, art, sound, design, coding. Way better than I could ever do, but that probably accounts for why the game has such a godawful story.
>>
Bunny must die.
>>
>>322358015
I would fuck that Asuka until she turns pretty and then I would keep fucking her and making her happy and confident through life
>>
>>322357439
good luck wit the thread, I only ever got shitposting and hate because MUH SUPER METROID
>>
>>322358348
Eh, it's not so much that the weapons aren't creative, I think some of them were pretty cool, but they're available a bit too late and you'll still be using the first gun for most of the game anyway. And I agree that the bosses aren't good, but they're not -terrible-, they're just pretty bad. I still had fun though.
>>
>>322358015
>in tonight's episode of top gear
>>
>>322358619
Took me about 12h to 100%, but the achievements and challenges (beat the game in under X hours, beat it collecting less than Y% of all items etc.) kept me interested for about 20h.

Not sure why /v/ always claims Axiom Verge is "meh" and shills Environmental Station Alpha, but then again this is a board infamous for regurgitating opinions they read elsewhere without actually thinking through them.
>>
>>322358015
IN THIS EPISODE OF TOP VIDYA: JAMES GOES TO A CONVENTION AND TRIES COSPLAY!
>>
>>322359296
Shit man, I'm at 28 hours and I'm still wandering around trying to get the passwords. Doing it completely blind, and I'm at like 98% of the map and 94% of items, and I still have no clue what the fuck I'm supposed to do. It took me about 20 hours just to beat the main plot, and I didn't die that much, just took my time to explore.
>>
>>322359571
I probably should have mentioned I used a walkthrough to get the last few items. I probably got to about 90% of the map and maybe 85% of all items before I said fuck it and used a guide.

Still, I think this is a game that really shines on your subsequent playthroughs, especially when going for the low% or time-based achievements since they force you to completely rethink your strategy and do some things out of sequence.
>>
>>322359296
>Not sure why /v/ always claims Axiom Verge is "meh" and shills Environmental Station Alpha

Axiom Verge is on PS4 and shit, even though it's really just kind of mediocre. ESA can use the extra attention. It's just a better game, the only part about where Axiom Verge shines over it is the graphics.

Stop shilling what i dont like
>>
>>322360004
Probably, I'm not into that kind of stuff though.
Also, the game made me go "woah" at some points, like when you reach the surface-looking areas for the first time, or when you see Elsenova's full body for the first time
>>
Are there any good metroidvania games besides AV and ESA? Better yet, are there any games similar to Metroid Prime on PC?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (201 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
201 KB, 1280x720
Hey don't mind me guys, I'm just an extremely underrated game that came to chill in this thread
>>
Its very good. Maybe not as good as Super Metroid but definitely better than every other Metroid game
>>
>>322360494
Eh, I'd say that the Deus Ex games have their fair share of exploration, but that's probably all they have in common with a Metroid Prime game. There's lots of other good Metroidvanias though, including, well, the Metroid and Castlevania games if you haven't beaten them already. Wings of Vi comes to mind even though it's pretty fucking hard and frustrating.
There's a metroidvania tag on steam and a fuckton of metroidvania sites on the first page of google, you'll find something you like.
>>
I thought it was very okay

The story is just there for set dressing, you can see the plot coming a mile away.

The bosses start off decent but by the end are fairly phoned in.

Music was good, aesthetics were pretty good if a little heavy handed with the giger shtick.

Worth a try, but most definitely not indie game of the year or anything.

Also, its like 8 bucks who needs to debate over whether an 8 dollar purchase is worth it? Damn poorfags.
>>
>>322360636
I don't think that game is underrated. It's just not well known.
It's an amazing game with batshit insane bosses, beautiful graphics and very good music. Like a mix between a metroidvania and later Ys titles.
>>
>>322361047
It's $14 right after the holidays, there are plenty of poorfags who have better things they need to spend money on than a singleplayer indie game.
>>
>>322361143
Only thing I didn't like was the story.
>>
I honestly could not handle the graphics the game was so ugly that it was unplayable for me
>>
>>322361350
But you probably also didn't like how Super Metroid looked either, right?
>>
File: 630x.jpg (308 KB, 630x390) Image search: [Google]
630x.jpg
308 KB, 630x390
>>322360636
I just can't stomach that art style. It reminds me of picture related.
>>
>>322357604
this t b h f a m s
>>
>>322360494
La Mulana is a fucking incredible metroidvania (though be prepared to use a guide or spend hours and hours banging your head against some ridiculous puzzles).

The Metroid Prime games are pretty unique, so that's tough. I doubt others will agree with me, but I've always felt like Half Life 2 actually has a fairly similar pace and blend of shooting vs. exploration. It's obviously completely linear, though. I agree with the other anon that you might want to check out Deus Ex, despite seeming completely different from MP on the surface.
>>
>>322361505
It looks REALLY indie, in the bad way. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's great, but still..
>>
>>322361505
The fuck is that thing
>>
The weapons are definitely the weak point. Why so many items that all do pretty much the same thing, most of them until the endgame less well than the default shot? There are like two of them that you actually use in exploration, one time each.
>>
Get ESA instead
>>
File: my shitty ms paint comparision.png (761 KB, 990x1024) Image search: [Google]
my shitty ms paint comparision.png
761 KB, 990x1024
>>322361467
no Metroid was fine for me, Verge looked like vomit to me
>>
>>322360494
>>322360909 here, you might also want to check out Ori and the blind forest, I haven't played it but I've only heard great things about it. There's also Cave Story of course, and I'm waiting for Chasm, which is technically coming in 2016, which means it'll probably be released in 2045, but still.
>>
>>322361320
yeah it was honestly meh.
>>
>>322360636
Was going to post this. The game truly reminds me of the first time I played SOTN. The music is fantastic and the light/dark mechanic is nifty. I'm just now getting to the ice area (that constantly saps 1 HP) and this game is literally SOTN with better combat to me.
>>
I've never played it, but apparently Shadow Complex just got ported to the PC and is currently free on Epic's website.

I always meant to play it when it was on consoles, do any anons have an opinion on the game?
>>
>>322362151
Holy shit what! I've always wanted to play that!
>>
>>322360909
>>322361647

I have played and enjoyed Deus Ex and HL/HL2 but I was hoping for something more similar to Prime in the sense of atmosphere. I'll check out Wings of Vi and La Mulana though.
>>
>>322357439
Shadow Complex is currently free for PC if you download their shitty Epic Games launcher. It's a small price to pay for one of the best Metroidvanias in the genre.
>>
>>322362351
Call of Cthulhu : DCOE has that same kind of claustrophobic, dark atmosphere Metroid games have, but it's more like some kind of horror FPS, and not the best one there is. Maybe the first two Bioshock games too, or Dead Space 1. Haven't played the other two though
>>
Oh, I also forgot to mention Iji. It's a great free metroidvania-ish game. Be prepared for slight feels and an average plot, but it's a nice game, it's pretty long and it's got a lot of replay value. You can also decide to go pacifist and shit if you like.
>>
Axiom Verge is a really good game but some of the movement upgrades aren't that great

also the bee boss is bullshit
>>
>>322361650
that's not official art
The art in the game is actually good
https://endlessfluff.wordpress.com
>>
File: 1396443954251.gif (366 KB, 140x160) Image search: [Google]
1396443954251.gif
366 KB, 140x160
>>322360636

I fucking loved this. Reaching level 30 in the Heaven or Hell arena was difficult and very rewarding, i liked that so much.
>>
>>322360636
Game of the year all years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVJqrsZhXZY
>>
>>322363070
what build did you use ?
>>
>>322362151
AW SHIT NIGGA. Thats some fucking dope shit right there man.
>>
>>322362151
>install our adware launcer to play

No thanks faggot shill
>>
File: 1260161072132.jpg (30 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
1260161072132.jpg
30 KB, 500x328
>>322357439
Axiom Verge is fun, but it's not really that close to a Metroid game. There are a lot of little things that distinguish it (for better or worse) when added up.

1) At least one major, intentional, possibility to sequence break exists in everyone's favorite Metroids. You can get to Phase 3 early in Return, you can skip the grapple beam in Super Metroid, and Fusion has that whole hah-hah-fooled-you break that still allows for a bunch of other powerups through shinesparking. Axiom Verge is almost entirely linear, with very few exceptions, and frequently puts you on a rail into one specific area to progress.
2) The Metroids always have a hair of backtracking, but Axiom Verge practically thrives on it. Playing blind, it will often feel like you're being artificially limited from getting powerups you can already see and understand how to get to because you're missing something arbitrary like your wall-phasing distance is one block too short or your glitch gun isn't the right level. It makes powerup hunting irritating unless you put it off until damn near the endgame.
3) A lot of the regular upgrade weapons are fucking garbage. Your stock weapon is serviceable (and direct damage boost powerups make sure it will be for the entire game), but you'll be collecting a lot of pretty-looking but functionally useless crap constantly. Meanwhile, the procedural areas might contain something amazing and bullshit overpowered like a homing version of the main gun, and a lot of the "hidden" weapons are actually effective. It feels like filler- like the dev thought if you weren't unlocking *something* in the dead stretches between mobility powerups, you'd get bored and leave.
4) Boss fights are rhythm based. It's all very repetitive simple-motion stuff you just do until you win. In a way it's cute (the stock boss music feels like it belongs in a rave anyway) but if you're expecting a Ridley or something you're SOL.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn't even close to a Metroid game.
>>
>>322358348
>>322357439

This post is the truth.

I think that the game has some cool gameplay too. I guess it is worth to play it
>>
>>322363281

Full agility/str Wyatt, bleed sword upgrade, focus on lightning magic because of sweet static effect. Iirc i used the monk robes, but i forgot the actual name
>>
>>322363390
Don't worry, it's coming to Steam my retarded friend. You can give Valve your shekels
>>
>>322363720
what upgrades do you take at the beginning ?
my max is 15, I always get wrekt when I get a yeti/frozen feral boss combo or grand assassin/frozen feral boss combo.
I mainly play Vladyn and do fine until that.
is Leilodin in the arena ?
>>
>>322361840
I'm not sure what you mean, I honestly think Axiom Verge looks as good if not better than Super Metroid.

If it's the vibrant color scheme that's used the majority of the areas you think looks like vomit then I guess I understand, but all those bizarre unnatural colors just made the world feel even more alien and eerie to me.
>>
>>322363142
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKC6mO0eHH4
>>
>>322364219
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgSZZD6jnqI
>>
>>322363986

all tier 1 warrior upgrades -> shred/tactical strike/combo expert -> bloodlust/hunter bounty

all tier 1 guardian upgrades too, and wisdom from the savior tree. this for starters, then i went full warrior tree in the end, using magic just to inflict static, making sure every enemy on screen bleeds and keeping combo chain high to abuse the damage increase.

though i'm only decent with Wyatt, so i wouldn't know about a good Vladyn build
>>
The holy trinity of Metroidvania is Super Metroid, SOTN and La Mulana.

Would you say any game from other franchises deserve to be in the same category as these?
>>
I hate how superficial the exploration elements in most "metroidvania" games are. I just want something that will be twice as fun on repeated playthroughs because of all the sequence breaking and different paths you can take, not a linear game with a little bit of backtracking and some collectibles.
>>
>>322364828
Cave Story
>>
>>322357439
Axiom Verge is shit. It has some nice pixel art but that falls apart when almost all the different environments end up being the same tilesets with different colours. Getting around the game world is an absolute chore because the only real mobility upgrade you get is a short double-tap dash which gets upgraded twice. The game world in general isn't well-designed and it has retarded secrets that involve shit like going to a specific room and putting a password into your in-game device which makes tiles disappear so you can get to an item.
The boss fights suck dick and the story is retarded. The story is also particularly bad in that it's heavily present for the first half of the game and then almost disappears entirely for the second half until you get to the final boss.
>>
I just wanted to say that SotN is the best metroidvania of all time.
>>
I'm disappointed nobody has mentioned Eternal Daughter yet.

I wouldn't call it a 10/10 masterpiece or anything but it's still a great metroidvania-esque game. It's also free.
>>
Guacamelee is pretty fantastic. I know /v/ will get mad about a handful of memes peppered in but it's really not very obnoxious at all.

Great music, levels, abilities, good amount of content, decent story and super fun combat. I give it an A+

Honorable mention to Valdis Story but I've only logged a couple hours into it.
>>
File: chasm.jpg (13 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
chasm.jpg
13 KB, 259x195
Chasm when. Fuck they need to hurry it up.
>>
>>322363142
lmfao the soundtrack was the worst part of this game
>>
>>322360636
>Shit story
>Tedious gameplay because every enemy is a damage sponge
>Mobility upgrades are all skills that need to be equipped instead of passive upgrades, so you're constantly needing to swap skills between mobility and combat ones
>Terrible story with mechanically bad writing and an edgelord MC
>Poorly placed fast travel points
>Items that can be missed forever in a metroidvania
>A bunch of areas that are only accessible from one direction thus forcing you to go around in circles repeatedly to get stuff

It's mediocre and I have no idea why it gets so much praise around here. Maybe the new characters improved it a lot but I ended up getting to the final dungeon and just didn't give enough of a shit to bother finishing it.
>>
>>322360909
Wings of Vi isn't even a metroidvania. It's just a shitty "oh look at me, aren't I hard" platformer.
>>
>>322364551
>>322364219
you got me excited since you posted 3 samples. But all three samples of music were shit. since the 1st demo
>>
well, it scratched my metroid itch, that's for sure. what are some promising upcoming metroidvanias? my friend told me to keep an eye on death's gambit and ghost song
>>
>>322365195
this
>>
>>322365593
Shit taste. Give me an example of a good soundtrack
>>
what are some good metroidvanias that I could play on my psp? including emulated ones.
>>
>>322365459
It's going to be shit, and I say this as somebody who has, and still is waiting warmly for it to be released.

Why will it be shit? Because it's going to be short as fuck.
I fucking despite short games, it's why I don't really care for Axiom Verge. I beat the game on hard mode, BLIND in 8 hours, and that's with 100% completion.
That is just not enough time at all for me to fully enjoy a game, and Chasm is going to be similar.
Somebody on the forum complained about it being too short, and the dev ended up saying it won't be "quite" as short in the official release.
That wording leads me to believe that it's only going to be a few hours longer, if that than what is available currently.
>>
define what makes a metroidvania, seems like it's a term being used pretty loosely
>>
>>322365984
>>322365890
shit taste. soundtrack is very good, and I'm a musicfag. only bad tracks are blood durst and some other one I can't remember.
>>
>>322364107
>that player sprite
>that fucked up perspective on the tank
>that crappy 2-tone coloring
>>
>>322364219
somewhat decent track, others sound pretty amateur
>>
>>322365890
k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwZhrzGxR5E
>>
>>322364649
thanks.
>>
>>322365780
>every enemy is a damage sponge
Spotted the shitter.

I bet he plays on easy mode too.
>>
>>322365984
mmx2
valkyrie profile
castlevanias
and metroids
I remember liking the combat in VS and having to stop every now and then at the retarded chord progressions
>>
>>322362151
It's pretty good, but it has some flaws. The story is shit and unfinished since it was meant to be the first in a trilogy, and the MC is adequately annoying. There's one permanent missable in the game.
The big problem is the aiming system. Rather than 8 directions like SM it's got free aim with your stick / mouse, and the game accommodates this by sort of locking on to enemies when you point near them to shoot at them. This isn't so bad normally but the game also heavily uses a foreground and background presentation where enemies will often attack you from the background layer and you can only hit them when the game locks on to them, which can be finicky.

Aside from those it's good. Since it's free I'd definitely recommend giving it a go.
>>
>>322366798
each game you quoted has amazing soundtrack. there are a few games from the castlevanias that have meh st.
But VS has a good soundtrack, with some good themes (boss battle themes in particular). There's no such thing as a retarded chord progression, too.
>>
>>322366706
still bad
>>322366629
there are a ton of musicfags with shit taste. i knew at ton of them from the college orchestra. have fun with your boring 4/4 beats and terrible screeching guitars playing "solos" and shit tier bass lines
>>
>>322363568
>you can skip the Grapple Beam in SM
Bitch, you can skip damn near fucking everything in SM.
>>
File: confusekoro.png (125 KB, 324x174) Image search: [Google]
confusekoro.png
125 KB, 324x174
>>322366753
>Every enemy is a damage sponge
>You must play on easy mode, where enemies have less HP!
>>
I know it's not flawless but Axiom Verge was my GOTY 2015 up until I bought Bloodborne on Black Friday.
2015 was pretty shit for games so well-made solo effort Metroid homage hit a sweet spot for me.
>>
>>322367293
Clearly you're a shit player, so who knows, maybe you find the easy mode enemies to be damage sponges too.
I've beat the game 12 or so times and I've never found the enemies to be damage sponges, with any build I run with.
If anything, they're fodder.
>>
>>322367240
>boring 4/4 beats
Subjective
>terrible screeching guitars playing "solos"
Subjective
>shit tier bass lines
Wrong
>>
File: 11457a32e4.png (152 KB, 438x420) Image search: [Google]
11457a32e4.png
152 KB, 438x420
>>322358729
>Story

>>322357439
It scratches that itch OP but I wouldn't pay more than ten dollars for it if you value your money.
>>
>>322365330
I don't give a shit about the memes, I just think it's a crappy game with an ugly art style. And the music sucks.
I wouldn't dislike it nearly as much if it didn't force you to complete battle rooms every few screens where you get to fight the same few enemies over and over again. It's just tedious.
>>
>>322367240
>still bad
I'm not here to argue with you, I'm here to post music, your replies just remind me that this thread exists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arrVTnT9_1c
>>
wasn't shadow complex written by orson scott card or something? is it really mormon?
>>
File: 1442712337858.png (6 KB, 557x267) Image search: [Google]
1442712337858.png
6 KB, 557x267
>>322365459
>Metroidvania
>Procedural generation
>>
>>322360636

Overrated, the word you're looking for is OVERrated. Underrated means the exact opposite of what that game is.
>>
File: Clipboard-6.jpg (574 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard-6.jpg
574 KB, 1920x1080
>axiom verge
>metroidvania

/v/ reached new low
>>
>>322366579
I always think of it as a mixture of RPG (such as Earthbound and Chrono Trigger) and non-linear exploration (such as the Metroid series).
>>
>>322357439
Grapple gun controls like shit.
Relies on shitty power to gate you from content (really? crossing walls and you upgrade to cross thicker walls?)
Awful fucking music, what the fuck is wrong with that piece of the guy just making weird sounds?
Lackluster story, the idea might be good but it's told like shit.
Enemy design is not really good.

Still decent but it's not a good metroidvania.
>>
File: 1450724290671.png (213 KB, 600x393) Image search: [Google]
1450724290671.png
213 KB, 600x393
>>322367775
Written in the universe of his novels. He wrote Advent Rising, which was shit
Card is a hack anyway
>>
>>322367775
I believe he created the world it was set in but didn't write the story for the game.
>>
>>322357658
Anon, Axiom Verge's graphics are the base minimum for a game in 2016. If the graphics on that are worse, there's no point in even playing it.
>>
>>322367856
Axiom Verge is certainly a Metroidvania, it just has a greater emphasis on weapon variety and action. It feels like it's got more Contra in its DNA.
>>
>>322367801
le epic determination meme
>>
>>322367856
I can't see fucking shit in this image
>>
>>322367525
I don't think you understand. Being good or not has nothing to do with enemies being damage sponges. The enemies being easy or not has nothing to do with them being damage sponges. They simply have too much health and it turns them into chores.
Just compare Valdis Story to SM or SOTN, in those games most enemies are quickly killed without breaking up the flow of your movement. The games are great about preserving mobility while in combat. In Valdis Story any time you encounter an enemy it becomes time to stop moving and start hacking away at them until they're dead. Mobility/exploration and combat are distinctly separated in Valdis Story and that really put me off.
>>
>>322367962
Forgot to mention the shitty weapons with no button to point up and right/left without moving
Bossfights are bullet sponges and the difficult ones are just a dps race (that fucking bee). Only good bossfights is the last boss.
>>
>>322368004
If you call boring SameRoomTheGame a metroidvania - okay.
There was absolutely nothing in level design that would inspire me to play even pirated version. Not even promised "great weapon variety ^)".
>>
>>322368004
Eh, it's more of a Metroid-like really, since it doesn't really have RPG elements.
>>
>>322368002
your loss
>>
>>322367974
>He wrote Advent Rising, which was shit
The only shit thing about Advent Rising was that we didn't get the two sequels.
>>
/v/ is too jaded. I haven't listened to you faggots and your shit opinions in years, and I've been having much more fun with games.

>Waah don't play UnEpic, it's just a meme filled game
>Waah don't play Aquaria, it's just an exploration sim
>Waah don't play Valdis Story, I don't like the art style!
>Waah don't play Axiom Verge, it's not metroid!
>Waah don't play Bunny Must Die, it doesn't control how I want it too!
>Waah don't play
Actually, I can't think of anymore.

Going to bed now, enjoy typing out your angry reply to me. I'm sure somebody else will defend my honor in my absence.
>>
>>322367682
Personally I really liked the art style and music. The progression was fun and there were good reasons to go back to previous areas. I suppose the fight rooms could be tedious though. Personally I find the combat to be pretty fun despite needing a couple more basic strikes and throws, but still it was enjoyable to me. Worth beating on Hard imo
>>
File: Clipboard-3.jpg (521 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard-3.jpg
521 KB, 1920x1080
>>322368107
get glasses

>>322368002
> If the graphics on that are worse, there's no point in even playing it.
Even now people play Cave Story and have great >fun
Eevn now you are still massive casual faggot
>>
>>322368206
>the last boss.
>good

That was one of the worst in the game.
>>
>>322368287
Oh, that reminds me. Aquaria was pretty damn good. Shame about sequel never.
>>
>>322368415
If I could still have fun playing a video game I wouldn't be posting on /v/. I only play games for atmosphere
>>
File: large.jpg (46 KB, 480x380) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
46 KB, 480x380
>>322368286
Fuck you, the game was shit. It was fun for a while, but it was ridden with bugs, imbalances and overall wasn't that fun. Story was horrendous though.
>>
>>322368435
Atleast you had to manage different things at once.

Other bosses are just big things being all retarded.
>>
Are there any games that can be considered 3D Metroidvanias? I've been playing Banjo-Tooie and I feel it's got aspects of it, but it doesn't quite fit.

Also how do you guys feel about Kirby and the Amazing Mirror as a Metroidvania?
>>
>>322368183
>Complaining that he can't kill enemies in 1 shot while he continues moving
Your casual level is through the roof.
If games were made that way, then there would be no point in having enemies at all.
Besides, Valdis Story actually allows you to continue past enemies without killing them, unlike SM and SoTN. The skill cancel dash let's you pass enemies safely.
>>
File: 1441059611787.png (291 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
1441059611787.png
291 KB, 600x512
>>322368415
>get glasses
Once you stop shilling your game. There's seriously no excuse for this shit, unless you actually make a copy of the game for 8bit systems and that comes from a rabid indiefag
>>
>>322368638
You probably could consider the Banjo games to be Metroid-like in design, given how they're focused around getting new abilities that help you explore more. The main difference is that their focus is on collecting jiggies. Tooie actually is a lot more metroid-like than Kazooie was because the whole world is connected through passages in each stage instead of being purely level-based.

>>322368690
>>Complaining that he can't kill enemies in 1 shot while he continues moving
Nice reading comprehension, retard.
>>
>>322368183
I get what you're saying, the thing is that VS is way more combat focused than regular metroidvanias. It comes down to preference, I think it does a good job at it
>>
>>322368780
Not my game.
Whatever the reasons behind that "art-style" (lack of drawing skill or to save development time or just for the sake of pixel art) the game is FUCKING FANTASTIC. Best metroidvania since SoTN/Metroid.

By this time not all secrets found
>>
>>322368415
Wait, this is not upscaled? The game actually looks like this?
>>
>>322368415
That looks like dog diarrhea
>>
>>322368940
I will look into the game, but you must admit the game looks like shit.
>>
>>322368882
My reading comprehension is fine. It's exactly what you said.
Get good tbqh.
>>
>>322368183
>The games are great about preserving mobility while in combat
Not really the case in Valdis, that's why they got expanded action combat
>>
>>322368638
Soul Reaver
Darksiders 2
Dark Souls
Keep in mind that it's very hard to translate the Metroidvania to a 3D enviroment is pretty hard, so I applied the term loosely
>>
>>322369407
That was my point.
>>
>>322367801
Ignore undertale posters always
>>
>>322357439
It's decent, but disappointing. It's really unpolished at a lot of places.
Cryptic, some tracks are annoying (others are really good though) and relatively early in the game you come to a part that makes it impossible for you to return to previous parts until you get like 3-4 more upgrades or something. Then there are certain enemies that always gets a bite of you even if you are careful.
>>
>>322369526
The game doesn't really have an expansive castle to explore to justify the shallow combat
>>
File: 1439470052931.png (334 KB, 430x579) Image search: [Google]
1439470052931.png
334 KB, 430x579
>>322368104
>>322369730
>I don't have an argument so I'll deflect to criticising the choice of reaction image
>>
>>322369854
music* tracks
>>
>>322369854
>relatively early in the game you come to a part that makes it impossible for you to return to previous parts until you get like 3-4 more upgrades or something.
There's actually a frame perfect jump you can make to get back, which was intentionally placed.
But there's not actually any point because until you get the intended upgrades there's nothing more for you to do but get one or two items and find a bunch more you can't get to.
>>
>>322357604
Man even if it came on PS4 alone Remote play would be comfy as fuck.

I need to get back to playing soon.
>>
>>322369928
I didn't read the posts prior to that one. I just saw the image and gave people a friendly reminder to ignore man children. Also quoting someone and posting a picture isn't an argument
>>
>>322369928
Said the person who instead of posting an argument about why it's bad decided to resort to greentext and a mem image
>>
>>322370121
>>322370142
Procedural generation is all that needs to be said. There has never been any case of procedural generation being well-integrated into a metroidvania and Chasm certainly isn't going to change that. Metroidvanias as a genre are entirely based around having good level design, and procedural generation shits all over that.
>>
>>322368415
enviroment looks fine, but what is the blue/light brown thing supposed to be?
>>
>>322369928
Ironic, isn't it?
>>
>Ori and the Blind Forest
Why bother getting this when they're releasing a new version of the game in a few months that you have to buy again?
>>
>>322368638
Amazing Mirror is great, and the metroidvania-esque elements are why I like it so much. I think it definitely counts. The entire world IS connected, the main doors are just special warps. And your powers come and go like castlevania sub-weapons, so yeah.
>>
>>322370308
I'd argue that Terraria made it work somewhat
>>
>>322370308
Ignore undertale posters
>>
>>322370539
>Terraria
>Metroidvania
Are you retarded?
>>
>>322370308
You simply separate the designed areas from the procedural ones so that you can have fun grinding in the procedural areas after you complete the main game
>>
>>322370618
That could potentially work, but Chasm isn't doing that.
>>
>>322370063
It is still something that stresses you out. You come to a dead end, looks at the map, sees that you haven't explored a lot of things in the beginning and then you go "oh, I obviously need to backtrack, silly me", then you backtrack just to realise you are not supposed to (but it takes awhile because denial sets in "There...MUST...BE...A...WAY") and you just ends up wasting a lot of time.

If it was designed so I could go back and find out I need something else to explore the beginning, it wouldn't bothered me as much - a lot of Metroidvanias does this. In this game I just felt it was fucking with me.
>>
>>322358348
This post is very accurate. I grabbed AV when it was on sale a while ago, and I was wholly pleased. I would probably modify the two negatives in that post as follows:

- Mostly uninteresting boss fights
- An attempt was made at creativity in weapon roster, but only two or three of the weapons are really worth your time

Especially that second point bothered me a bit. There were so many weapons to discover, yet I only ever seemed to switch between Voranj and Kilver once I had them. That's certainly one way where it differs from metroidvania: not every new item has a clear progress-related purpose.
>>
>>322370598
>RPG elements
>Get mobility upgrades to progress further
Are you?
>>
>>322370308
Now this is better, was that so hard?
And I recall from some very old stream of a beta of this game that someone said that the rooms themseles aren't proceduraly generated but their placement is, or some shit like that. Also it worked well enough for Rogue Legacy, don't see why it shouldn't work here
>>322370598
Eh...to an extend he's right, given how you need items from other areas of the game to survive and progress in the others, though I'd say it's closer to an rpg progression, only reason it's similiar to metroidvania is the perspective
>>
>>322365330
came in here to post this, you said everything i was going to. too bad about the humor.
>>
>>322370990
>>322365330
The memes and videogame references were actually cool the first 30 minutes...

...then they kept adding them through the entire game. So fucking awful.
>>
>>322370893
>Also it worked well enough for Rogue Legacy, don't see why it shouldn't work here
Rogue Legacy wasn't a metroidvania. Rogue Legacy also got stale extremely quickly due to the poor variety of rooms.

>>322370814
So that was a "yes", then. If that's what you define as a metroidvania then Metroid isn't even a metroidvania, since it has no RPG elements.
>>
>>322371161
(cont) it not the "bad humor" that destroys it for me, it's that the memes completely overshadows the game's own aesthetic themes. Really lame. Makes the game feel unoriginal when there was no need to.
>>
>>322371321
Tbqh I don't get why people say the memes ruin it for them. They're relegated to background posters and aren't that intrusive. Now if every character dropped a dank meme in every sentence, that'd be one thing.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 960x960
Does SOMA==PRESSURE?

I was thinking of getting it because it looked neat.
>>
>>322357604
hopefully never
>>
>>322368287
>>Waah don't play Bunny Must Die, it doesn't control how I want it too!
who fucking shat on BMD? Holy fucking shit the casuals. I bet they can't even parry
>>
>>322370814
You don't get upgrades in Terraria. You get equipment. That's a crucial difference. There are also no mobility "upgrades" in Terraria that are specifically required to do anything.
>>
File: 1449453997775.jpg (49 KB, 542x360) Image search: [Google]
1449453997775.jpg
49 KB, 542x360
>Ctrl-F Megaman ZX
>Ctrl-F "Ecclesia"
>Nothing

It's like none of you had a DS. :/
>>
File: Astronot.png (119 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Astronot.png
119 KB, 1024x768
I would recommend Astronot for ios. Honestly my favorite iphone game. It's heavily inspired by the original metroid and I had a great time with it.

Also I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned here...
>>
>>322372498
>hook
>boots
>not required
have fun in caves
>>
File: GabeSamefag.png (97 KB, 236x339) Image search: [Google]
GabeSamefag.png
97 KB, 236x339
>>322368241
>>322370814
>le RPG-elements-in-Metroid meme
I see what you're trying to do.
>>
Unepic isn't quite what I consider to be a Metroidvania, because the "upgrades" are all just keys, but it still feels very much like one. I still highly recommend it.
>>
>>322372892
Order of Ecclesia is pretty good but doesn't follow the metroidvania formula at all.
I still love it.
>>
>>322372960
That's right. They're not required. They're useful, but they are not in any way required.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_7KUC6CY6Q Thoughts???
>>
>>322373051
>the "upgrades" are all just keys
That makes it a Zelda-like.
>>
>>322372892
I have a lot of love for ZX (partly because of my greater love for the Zero games), but sadly I never managed to get past the boss rush at the end of the game. I should give another crack at it at some point.
>>
>>322372892
>Megaman ZX
Loved that game, even if the areas aren't that interconnected to totally give the feeling of metroidvania
>>
>>322373075
It does after you save Albus.
>>
>>322373557
And then it gives you the smallest and shittiest castle in the entire series.
>>
File: 1390285130611.jpg (65 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
1390285130611.jpg
65 KB, 500x446
>>322358348
>+ Cool story
>>
Are the weapons in Axiom fun and feel powerful? I fucking hate how bland Super Metroid weapons are
>>
>>322362151
Shoadow Complex seemed decent enough until the physics fucked up for me and wouldn't let me complete a segment. I couldn't turn back either so I uninstalled that shit.

Fuck you, minecarts
>>
What about Dust: An Elysian Tail?

I know the world isn't entirely connected..I know a lot of the character art is shit. But the backgrounds and music are fantastic, and the gameplay is surprisingly engaging.
>>
>>322373713
I forgive it because it has the best bosses.
>>
>>322373875
No. There's 2-3 good weapons and 20 that are completely worthless.
>>
File: 1385775154934.jpg (340 KB, 1240x786) Image search: [Google]
1385775154934.jpg
340 KB, 1240x786
>>322373926
Furshit.

I don't go anywhere near furshit. Sorry.
>>
>>322373926
It's not a metroidvania at all
>>
I think we can all agree that while it is by no means the best MV, Cave Story definitely has the most fun weapons out of any game in the super-genre.
>>
File: no_u_blyge_kenta.jpg (95 KB, 380x342) Image search: [Google]
no_u_blyge_kenta.jpg
95 KB, 380x342
>>322373717
>greentexting and reaction images only
What your image attributed to the other poster really applies much more evidently to yourself.
>>
>this entire thread is confusing the labels "Metroidvania" and "Metroid-like"

Goddamn fucking retarded children
>>
File: 1117117020510.jpg (34 KB, 600x621) Image search: [Google]
1117117020510.jpg
34 KB, 600x621
>>322374189
I don't give a flying fuck about your shit opinion
>>
Is OutLand any good? I always see it under the Metroidvania tag but I've never bothered to look into at all.
>>
Anyone played odallus?
>>
File: Metroid_fusion.jpg (198 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Metroid_fusion.jpg
198 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>322366464
Get Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. It includes SotN as well as a real Castlevania.
>>
>>322360636
also since i have a combo system my mechanics could have been better if all magic spells could be used without going into the menu. Sadly while programming me, my developer opted to appeal to casuals instead of adding special move inputs or magic rune switching.
Disappointing piece of shit. There is only one thing worse than a bad game: a good game that doesn't reach it's full potential because of stupid design choices.
>>
>>322374523
>30 fps

haha
>>
>>322374315
No. It's effectively linear and the gameplay is all just Ikaruga-lite bullet dodging/absorbing. The simplistic art style wears think quickly and none of the environments are interesting.

>>322374405
Not even remotely a metroidvania.
>>
>>322374405
It's more like classic CV but it's a good game.
>>
>>322374693
Welcome to consoles
>>
>>322374701
Ahh, misleading steam tags yet again. I was looking at buying it, now not so sure it's what I'm after..
>>
>>322364107
just oversaw this discussion. Personally I think both games look like shit for the same reason: they use too much colors from one side of the spectrum in a single area. When you look outside in any decent world there are colors from all over the color spectrum. metroid and axiom just don't give a shit and make entire areas green, coral, purple, or blue, with maybe a few lighter and darker tones here and there. The human mind wants to see all colors. This is often used in commercials where they show you lots of blue, generating the desire to see orange in the brain of the viewer, then they show you the orange simultaneously with their brand name, making you associate that brand with good feelings. Simply put, metroid and axiom don't give the brain what it desires, even then, axiom looks like shit because there it's harder to make out what is what than in metroid, which has clear visuals.

tl;dr both look like shit because of a lack of colors but metroid less so because the gfx are clearer.
>>
>>322365035
cave story doesn't have enough items and skills.
>>
Anyone interested in game mechanics in general? Got some nice stuff on sotn if anyone's interested.
>>
>>322375520

like?
>>
File: player_l2.jpg (146 KB, 480x760) Image search: [Google]
player_l2.jpg
146 KB, 480x760
Paradise Fortress RePure Aria is… I don't want to call it good, but I don't want to call it bad either. It's got hideous backgrounds and some shitty frustrating mechanics (like invisible breakable blocks all over the place), but it's got a huge world, superb animation, atmosphere, and it's full of hidden secrets. Very much worth playing.
>>
Someone knows if |Aliens: Infestation is any good?

>>322375520
go forward, I love autism-filled game analysis
>>
>>322374110
yes it is
>>
>>322375626
>superb animation
Nah. It looks like shit, and it plays like shit too. It's barely even worth anything as an eroge.
>>
Ghost Song is looking good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-wirpI2fdQ
>>
>>322361659
MN9's community manager drawing herself as Beck.
>>
>>322357439
boss fights are meh, and weapon progression is bad, you'll only be using 2 or 3 different weapons out of the 14 or 16 you can find. otherwise it's a good game and worth your time if you like games that are like metroid.

on a side note
>like the metroid part of metroivania but not the castlevania part
I can't be the only one can I?
>>
>>322376392
>It looks like shit
Compared to other games with sprite sex? Nigga, the sprites are really large for H-game standards, and the animations are all different and unique.
>>
http://store.steampowered.com/app/347800

This nigga needs to hurry up and release this thing already
>>
>>322376879
>I can't be the only one can I?
Nah m8 , same here.
>>
>>322377065
>Compared to other games with sprite sex?
Yes. Xenotake, Vitamin Quest, Dragon Bride, Parasite in City, Final Fuck, MUGEN characters, and all of Fullflap's games are much better in that department.
Just because the sprites are big doesn't make them good.
>>
How about:
Xeodrifter
The Swapper

What's the verdict?
I'm struggling with the swapper because I'm too spooked by it. Same reason I can't play Metroid at all.
>>
>>322375625
>>322375993
Well h-here i go
https://sites.google.com/site/darkwavestyle/games-research/castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-ps1-psp-360

I haven't really finished the combo section yet, and I've hardly incorporated all the things you see here into my playstyle, but it's technically possible.
>>
>>322365780
>Mobility upgrades are all skills that need to be equipped instead of passive upgrades, so you're constantly needing to swap skills between mobility and combat ones
They changed that one in a recent patch. Double jump is passive, now.
>>
File: ianheader.png (612 KB, 1000x405) Image search: [Google]
ianheader.png
612 KB, 1000x405
>>322377228
I doubt it will be for a while. The footage shows it is in a playable state but the updates aren't great for expanding on how much is done

I just hope they make some kind of model of the robot though, he is like a cute little Briareos mixed with the one from Black Magic
>>
>>322377608
Xeodrifter is utter garbage. It's extremely simplistic and completely linear, and all of the bosses are just palette swaps with each subsequent boss getting one new move added on top of the existing moveset. They also have a fuckload of HP which makes the fights drag on forever.
The only secrets the game even has are invisible holes in walls so you just have to push yourself against every wall in the game to look for them.
Avoid at all costs.

The Swapper isn't a metroidvania in any way whatsoever, it's just a puzzle game with decent puzzles, nice visuals, and an awful story.
>>
>>322378174
Well that would definitely improve the game a hundredfold. I might go back to it at some point.
>>
File: OK.jpg (91 KB, 375x500) Image search: [Google]
OK.jpg
91 KB, 375x500
IT'S NOT FAIR, WHY WAS LA MULANA SO FUCKING GOOD

I THOUGHT I COULD CALL IT QUITS AFTER SUPER METROID AND SOTN BUT NOW YOU'RE TELLING ME THERE ARE GOOD METROIDVANIAS OUT THERE

HOW CAN I TELL WHICH ARE GOOD? HOW DO I AVOID BEING CONSTANTLY BURNED BY MEDIOCRITY LIKE CAVE STORY AND AXIOM VERGE
>>
>>322377237
sometimes I wish there was more.

anyway, after AV I'm going to give Shadow Complex a try
>>
File: 1407570272836.png (72 KB, 145x222) Image search: [Google]
1407570272836.png
72 KB, 145x222
>>322378630
>MEDIOCRITY LIKE CAVE STORY
>>
Ufouria/Hebereke is really fun. Has much better exploration than most modern attempts at the formula.
>>
http://store.steampowered.com/app/332610/

Should I?
>>
File: metroidvania's.png (3 MB, 1639x1024) Image search: [Google]
metroidvania's.png
3 MB, 1639x1024
>Metroidvania
>literally
>epic

post more words that have lost meaning
>>
>>322379037
Cave Story had linear progression, it's not Metroidvania.
>>
>>322378630
Cave Story is fine, thing is everyone says it's a metroidvania when it's not.
>>
>>322379310
>brave
>next-gen
>justice
>>
>>322379310
Dark Souls is Metroidvania. Or damn close at least, felt like a 3D sotn way more than any castlevania did.
>>
>>322379459
>brave

what?
>>
>>322379194
No. It's a shitty adventure game masquerading as a metroidvania. It's horrible in every conceivable way.
>>
>>322379310
>lost meaning
If anything the "metroidvania" label only got more meaning now since it's an actual subgenre.
>>
>>322379573
Dark Souls is not even remotely metroidvania in any way shape or form.
>>
File: 1397793693396.jpg (1 MB, 1300x1755) Image search: [Google]
1397793693396.jpg
1 MB, 1300x1755
>>322379573
thanks for proving my point

>>322379616
>adventure game masquerading as a metroidvania.
what's the difference?

>>322379653
when anything can be called a metroidvania then it's got no meaning, just like literally everyone using literally for literally everything when they literally mean the opposite of literally
>>
>>322379597
>express a mainstream opinion trumpeted by media and politicians
>get called brave (by clickbait headlines) for taking a stand against a commonly derided Other
Maybe this is less common in the USA than in Germany.
>>
>>322379573
dark souls is very sotn ish but it lacks skill upgrades that unlock new sections.
>>
>>322379815
>what's the difference?
Adventure game does not mean "game in which a person goes on an adventure".
>>
File: 1396838278632.jpg (117 KB, 800x789) Image search: [Google]
1396838278632.jpg
117 KB, 800x789
>>322379862
I get what you mean, just like
>rape
nowadays

>>322379952
so it's worth nothing since almost every game falls into that category, thanks
>>
>>322379917
Does it? You learn to walk on lava, leveling up that spider girl lets you into the ruins etc.
>>
File: 1449876988731.jpg (66 KB, 528x792) Image search: [Google]
1449876988731.jpg
66 KB, 528x792
>>322379815
>two or three idiots have called megaman and darksouls metroidvanias and now, despite being WRONG, metroidvania has no meaning
>>
>>322379917
>dark souls is very sotn ish
No it isn't, retard.
The only thing DaS has that makes people define it as such is that it has a large world and a bunch of shortcuts to open.

>>322380059
>I cannot read
>>
>>322379815
Except it's not "anything", is it now. Even when people label games incorrectly, you can very clearly see why they'd want to label them as "metroidvania" because they often borrow mechanics or design from Metroid or SoTN.
>>
>>322380094
Megaman ZX is a metroidvania game in every way.
>>
File: 1400687194459.jpg (144 KB, 500x445) Image search: [Google]
1400687194459.jpg
144 KB, 500x445
>>322380094
>two or three idiots
you really haven't been here for long, have you

it went like this:
>let's call the Metroid-like Castlevania games Metroidvanias
>let's call any 2D games with a consistent world and RPG elements a Metroidvania
>let's call any 2D games with a consistent world OR RPG elements a Metroidvania
>let's call any 2D games a Metroidvania
>let's call anything with a consistent world a Metroidvania
>let's call anything a Metroidvania

and here we are, when someone calls a game a Metroidvania, it's worth nothing, it might even be a Batman game or a FPS at this point

>>322380130
>ur rong

just fucking state where I'm wrong instead of whining
>>
>>322367240
>have fun with your boring 4/4 beats
You sound like a tryhard faggot who only listens to math metal and dream theater
>>
>>322380491
>just fucking state where I'm wrong instead of whining
>so it's worth nothing since almost every game falls into that category, thanks

I just told you that adventure game doesn't mean "game where an adventure takes place" and you responded by assuming the opposite. Adventure is a genre with specific gameplay elements. You are a retard.
>>
>>322380491
Arkham Asylum actually was very much a metroid-like game in design. It's the sequels that moved away from it.
>>
File: 1329626173232.png (78 KB, 172x194) Image search: [Google]
1329626173232.png
78 KB, 172x194
>>322380929
>Adventure is a genre with specific gameplay elements.
>You are a retard.
>>
>>322381052
>metroid-like
that's a name that works well for level structure, and hasn't been run to the ground like metroidvania
>>
File: 1412016819163.jpg (36 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1412016819163.jpg
36 KB, 480x640
>tfw Axiom Verge will never go even 50% off at a sale
Why?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.