[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Witcher Wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 19
File: wichterswackywilly.jpg (42 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
wichterswackywilly.jpg
42 KB, 460x215
Is there any reason I should play the first Witcher? Want to buy Witcher 2 to start playing the series (only got $4 left on dat steam card) and maybe get wild hunt on the next sale when I have more money.

If the only reason to play WItcher 1 is plot/lore I can just spend a few minutes on the wiki.
>>
>>322356028
It's not fun. The combat is shit and there is a lot of time spent just running around.
>>
>>322356028
You really should at least try the first game but a youtube recap will do the job
>>
Witcher 1 is a good experience if you're not bothered by clunkiness and a clearly outdated game.

Witcher 2 is also clunky as fuck but better in a number of ways

I'd recommend starting with Witcher 3. It's much better than the two first in almost every way and is a fine starting point.
>>
File: lesbomancy.jpg (40 KB, 283x337) Image search: [Google]
lesbomancy.jpg
40 KB, 283x337
>>322356028
Witcher 1 is shite.

Witcher 2 is great.

Witcher 3 is GOAT.
>>
>>322356028
While I did enjoy 1, I would recommend just skipping it. Combat is weird and there are a couple of parts in the game that you have to grit your teeth through.

If you become a Witcher fan later on though it is worth a look.
>>
Play the first one and skip second, second installemnt is a real letdown and is much less of a game and more of those todays modern experiences with poor gameplay.
>>
File: thats not enough time.jpg (45 KB, 634x626) Image search: [Google]
thats not enough time.jpg
45 KB, 634x626
>>322356419
>I'd recommend starting with Witcher 3
>>
>>322356419
fucking retarded :D
>>
File: will.jpg (14 KB, 217x223) Image search: [Google]
will.jpg
14 KB, 217x223
>>322356601
>witcher 1 has better gameplay than witcher 2
>>
>>322356028
>Is there any reason I should play the first Witcher?
-It's the best game in the series
-it's the only GREAT game in the series
-It is a fucking SERIES.
-It's super comfy, has best gameplay and UI of the series.

I'll be honest with you: I hate Witcher 2.
It was THE biggest disappointment of the decade. Tons of hype, nothing to back it up in the game itself.

>>322356234
How to spot an Xbox fag 101
>>
Witcher 1
>great depth
>shit graphics
>hard to play
>THAT DEPTH
Witcher 2
>pretty shallow
>good graphics
>easy to play
>great story
Witcher 3
>very shallow
>excellent graphics
>very easy to play
>pretty good story
>lots of quests
>gwent
>GWENT

so to answer your question, buy it and read the first books
>>
>>322356821
elaborate
this is always the case, someone says something but never explains why he thinks that way
>>
If you aren't a pleb then witcher 1 is better than 2, if you are then just skip it because nothing in it is really relevant to 2 or 3 besides introducing a few of the major characters.
>>
File: TW3 vs TW1 - wheat.jpg (763 KB, 2154x912) Image search: [Google]
TW3 vs TW1 - wheat.jpg
763 KB, 2154x912
>>322356821
You read that correct, fagget.
>people seriously think the terribad and clunky DeS-clone with Skyrim-tier inventory is good
>>
File: 2013-06-20_00008.jpg (572 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2013-06-20_00008.jpg
572 KB, 1920x1200
>>322357102
>>shit graphics
wat?? It's a fucking 2007 game!
>>hard to play
My wife beat it four times in a row, no problems.

>TW2 and 3
>easy to play
hell no. I had way more problems and frustration with the sequels than with 1.
>>
>>322357031
Whoa I almost want to play it just for that inventory screen
>>
File: header[1].jpg (27 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header[1].jpg
27 KB, 460x215
>>322357264
>It's a fucking 2007 game!
so is crysis
>>
>>322356028
TW1 is better than TW2. It doesn't rush you along and the environments and atmosphere was just much better. You want to explore every thing. In TW2, it seems like CDPR tried to make it a cinematic experience, the gameplay wasn't as smooth. I don't know about anyone else but I also preferred the combat in TW1 more. It felt very fluid and the different stances were nice to use.

In TW1, Combat is not really the focus of gameplay. The rhythmic clicking is just a "filler" method, the gameplay core is mainly preparation, hunting for ingredients for potions, oils and bombs and using them to get past enemies and solving quests more efficiently. That said, it's true also that the game largely revolves around its story, atmosphere and character development.
>>
>>322357152
Thanks anon! As someone who bases their purchasing decisions mostly on depictions of wheat, you're a lifesaver.
>>
I couldn't get past the shoddy graphics and lacklustre combat of 1
start with 2
>>
Witcher 1 is better in many key areas, whereas 2 biggest fuck ups where in areas which made the first one such a great game, for instance :
-no in fight potions
-inventory is complete shit, have to carry all the formulas along with you which is retarded
-combat isn't better, in the 1 one you clicked on an enemy and Geralt fucked him up, in the second one you just click a button and have no idea what Geralt is going to do
-despite being a monsterhunter, there is significantly less monsters in the second one
-way too long conversations coupled with too many cutscenes
-quick time events and end in your death if you fail them
-overall console feel to the game if you choose to play it on pc
>>
Unless you're a graphix fag and ADHD console hack&slash fan, Witcher 1 will offer a much more enjoyable, longer lasting RPG experience.
>>
Never played the 3rd witcher but i agree with >>322356502 , Witcher 2 has an explanation of the 1st witcher. But you can pirate it and try, with the combat mod.
>>
>>322356502
>>322359970
I disagree with both of you.

Witcher 1:EE is the only non shitty game in the trilogy, plus the only one to even try to introduce the lore of the BOOKS to the newcomers.
>>
Witcher 1 is amazing but 2 is probably easier to get into
>>
>>322360542
Wasn't for me. I still don't enjoy playing #2 to this day.
>>
You have to ask yourself if you're a casual. If you can play games like VTM:B despite their flaws, you'll love the first Witcher for the experience and story.

I personally enjoyed the game overall and my only complaints were how long winded the first 3 chapters were with the side quests. I spent a bit getting the right mods for the game because some features are just far too cumbersome (the inventory). I highly recommend the mod that allows you to use storage anywhere.

The Witcher 2 is a vast improvement but also lacking in different areas. While the active combat is more interesting, it's just as unpolished as the first game (pretty fine when using swords/bombs, signs were really just ass besides Quen and Yrden). The story starts to get a lot more interesting in the second game only to be fairly short but is more personal/involving than doing random shit like the last game. Compared to the first, the scale feels diminished despite there being a lot more going on off-screen.

Overall these games rely heavily on the lore and are unpolished but are great experiences in my opinion.
>>
>>322361016
>kids complaining about the inventory
jesus, it really is the era of casuals.

I'm sorry, but the W2 is just a shitty PC benchmark tool
>>
>>322361394
Cumbersome might not be a great word. The journal and all that jazz is quite fine, theres just too many (worthless)items to pick up and not enough inventory space to put it all in. The mod fixes all. Alchemy is also unusable without the color coding mod if you intend on getting those extra bonuses but that's kind of nitpicking because who gives a fuck about the alchemy bonuses.
>>
Skip 1 but don't miss 2, it's a bit clunky but it's totally worthy, nice writing and good looking
>>
I read the books and started playing the witcher 1 but I just wanted to go back and read the books because the game's interpretation is weird and the writing leaves a lot to be desired.
>>
File: 1449871140910.jpg (16 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1449871140910.jpg
16 KB, 259x194
>>322361394

>W2 is justy a shitty PC benchmark tool

Even in 2016?
>>
3>1>2
>>
File: butterflies.jpg (666 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
butterflies.jpg
666 KB, 1920x1080
>>322365175
2 > 3 > 1.
>>
The first game is extremely dated. If you're hard pressed for money, I'd just go for the second game, they do well of enough job of explaining the first game.
>>
I don't understand the gameplay of the 1st game
it's just so different and I don't fucking understand who thought it was a good idea
everyone who thinks that that gameplay is good is objectively wrong
>>
>>322367375
That's because you've clearly never played a proper CRPG. The gameplay's generic as fuck, and super simple.

your "opinions" are objectively and subjectively shit.
>>
>>322369717
yes, I haven't.
CRPG's are outdated. Real time combat is much more better
>>
Witcher 1 combat isnt the best but the story and general feeling of the game is great, plus it has a TON of animations

Every new talent-point makes your moves look different, steel and silver-swords are different and so are the 3 different styles.
Plus it actually plays like an RPG.
>>
File: u having a giggle m8.jpg (425 KB, 817x960) Image search: [Google]
u having a giggle m8.jpg
425 KB, 817x960
>>322369895
Opinions discarded to fucking dumpster.
>>
>>322370170
keep spouting buzzwords.
>>
File: 1410347088530.jpg (23 KB, 265x229) Image search: [Google]
1410347088530.jpg
23 KB, 265x229
>there are people that havent started the Witcher series with Witcher 1
>there people that didnt finish the game
>THESE people will lie and say they like videogames
>>
The first game has the best realized settings in any game - it is worth it for that alone.

Chapter 4 is an amazing game experience. So peaceful and happy and idyllic...and things slowly fall into darkness. The same music you found happy and relaxing earlier now makes you sad as fuck.

Of course, you have to get that far to enjoy it...
>>
>>322370349
Buzzword itself is a buzzword.
Witcher 1 is the only good game in the series, it's gameplay's fine, and you have a mentality of a typical 12yo xbox kid, who cannot adapt to anything that does not follow the modern Halo/AssCreed "standards".
>>
>>322370608
But I just started that game and I intend on finishing it, I'm going to get used to the combat, but it's like taking a step back.
>>
>>322357102
>Witcher 2
>easy to play

I can imagine Normal being easy.
The average player will fail hard and anything beyond isnt easy at all.
>>
Should I try 3 if I couldn't push myself to finish chapter 1 in both 1 and 2?
>>
>>322370763
How about you just, you know, take things SLOW, instead of assume that every game on this planet can be mastered in the first 5 minutes? This is easily up to 50h game, after all.

Learn to utilize the Stances and signs, and get better gear & skills (=level up).
>>
>>322371130
No. It's the exact same shit, and closer to TW1's feel. Seriously people, stop playing games only because they're hyped.
>>
If you're looking for a brainless action game then 2&3 are probably what you're looking for. If you're looking for serious RPG, then 1 is the only option. 2&3 were made by an almost entirely different team anyway.
>>
>>322356028
the first one is the best about lore and atmosphere
>>
>>322356028
Witcher 1 has good story, great characters and the 4th act is among the coziest things ever.
>>
>>322371516
I only used igni & aard in my first playthrough, I feel like stamina regeneration it way too low to actually rely on signs, then again it was my first time playing witcher and i maybe skilled some wrong stuff, generally went for sword-styles and strength/agility perks.

The perks and skills are awesome in general.

Im not the guy youre responding to btw.
>>
File: 2012-12-06_00002.jpg (557 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2012-12-06_00002.jpg
557 KB, 1920x1200
>>322371906
Did you spend any time with Alchemy?
Mixing and drinking right potions before (or during) combat can make the biggest difference. These games are all about preparation, even if TW2 shat the bed with that as well with its linear design, short-lasting potions, and by not allowing you to use potions mid-fight.
>>
>>322371880
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUCZsRVzV3I
>>
>>322360542
The tuturial level of #1 alone was enough to put me off playing it twice. When #2 was getting good reviews I went back and tried it and was sold by the end of the next act. It is worth trying if you're looking for a game you'll fondly remember after you finish it, but if you're just looking for a game to play while waiting for others to release you can probably just skip it
>>
>>322365175
1>2>3
>>
>>322372217
If anything I used cat and swallow or special questpotions.

First time I had toxicity high i got scared and thought I develop eyecancer, not even kidding.
>>
File: 1395606772676.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1395606772676.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>322372656
>If anything I used cat and swallow or special questpotions.
OK, so you were a cautious greenhorn.
The high toxicity ain't really that bad, but obviously you shouldn't drink dozens of bottles at once.
>>
>>322357152
This is ironic right?
>>
>>322357031
>-it's the only GREAT game in the series
Don't be that asshole.

Witcher 1 is great. And necessary, in my opinion, to the trilogy.
>>
>>322373402
only if you don't care about details.
>>
>>322359958
This is pretty much it. Most of the hate you will see for witcher ee is "it looked like dick and the combat is bad skip it".

Game is great and one of my favorite rpgs, starts off a bit slow but picks up. Combat isn't nearly as bad as people bitch about, they all forget you can play the game with an isometric camera and pause time kinda like kotor. If you've played morrowind, oblivion or skyrim which all have shitty combat you should be fine with witcher combat unless you have adhd and feel the need to constantly mash buttons. The rhythm to the sword fighting is kinda nice in my opinion. 2 is more polished and combat is less rhythm based. But don't start on 3 and be one of those faggots.
>>
>>322371628
When witcher 3 released I was the only person I knew that had played the first and second gameout of my friends. They were all more hyped than I was and wouldn't stop talking about it, then it releases and they have no fucking clue about anything and non stop ask me questions or say bullshit they made up. 4 of them haven't even finished the barons quest, 2 of them are about halfway done and one friend barely finished it a week ago. I'll repeat what this guy said

Don't fucking buy it without playing the first 2 and enjoying them. Don't be a hype faggot and be "based cdprojektred" and talk about cyberpunk having played 5 hours of witcher 3. If you like actual rpgs play through the first 2 since the first is God damn amazing and the 2 is great as well and finish the 3rd when you will actually have some clue about it. I'd even say read the books since you'll notice a lot more in the games. Don't be that faggot that buys it, plays 5 hours, doesn't read any of the in game books or lore then drops it.
>>
Truth and truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZohodiFCOTU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF860MCMUfQ
>>
File: dumb.png (832 KB, 1279x719) Image search: [Google]
dumb.png
832 KB, 1279x719
>>322373332
It doesn't even matter, the only potion you will need is the Cat, because from chapter 4 you will be spawning Igni and regretting putting points in anything but Igni.
>>
>>322375241
This.
Hell, 2015 was filled with that kind of bullshit releases (MGS5, FO4, TW3...).
>>
>>322375884
You just reminded me that I'm not allowed to talk about mgsv still in my group of friends since only 2 have finished it to the first ending. God damn my friends are such fucking casuals the only games they have finished is fallout 4. I get several months of MGS hype from them then they non stop ask me questions about the story since they have no clue what happened. They didn't even realize that the man on fire was volgin or that venom wasn't actually big Boss.

Witcher 3 I finally spoiled literally the whole thing for them and got an endless amount if shit for it by people who have under 20 hours in the game. My one friend that finished it has like 25 hours medium. I'm kinda worried about cyberpunk because these faggots are all suddenly cdprojektred fans.
>>
who /w2darkmode/ here
i also think it had the best story and most challenging gameplay. w3 controls better but it gets really boring once geralt becomes overpowered at level 17 or so
>>
File: 20900_2015-06-14_00008.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20900_2015-06-14_00008.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>322373332
>>
>>322377695
I thought the Witcher 2 combat was shit. Great story but the gameplay was bad. Witcher 3 had a good story and while the gameplay wasn't great it's way better then the gameplay in the Witcher 2. I also felt like Heart of Stone was very challenging on death march perhaps even more so then the Witcher 2 on dark mode.
>>
>>322378140
"you must prove your worth first " all you have to do is find her a wolf pelt and then say that sex is healthy.
>>
>>322373770
There is actually a field that they added with HoS that had the wheat above Geralt's head.
>>
Witcher 1 is one of my favorite games of all time. People who are saying skip it just plainly dont like rpgs.

Witcher 2 is also one of my favorite games. Its not as good as 1, but it is still really good.

Havent played 3 yet, waiting for next generation of graphics cards come out so i can play it in 4k.
>>
>>322356028
Yes you fucking moron it's a good game.

Just skip the series all together
>>
File: 2015-06-11_00145.jpg (354 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-11_00145.jpg
354 KB, 1920x1080
>>322377695
>best story
Yeah, that's why W2 is my favorite. Politics are more fun than space elves.

>most challenging gameplay
Maybe, but that doesn't mean it's good. Combat is really clunky.
W3's combat is vastly improved, but the leveling system absolutely butchers the difficulty. The game's piss easy by the time you reach Novigrad. Mods fixed it though, I think.
>>
>>322356028
>If the only reason to play WItcher 1 is plot/lore I can just spend a few minutes on the wiki.
so save your money dont buy any witcher and read that fucking wiki
the witcher series is about its lore, character build and acting
if just reading a resume is enough for you then do it
>>
>>322356028
I highly suggest you play all the Witcher games because you get acquainted with the characters and world in a level you can't get by watching a let's play or reading about it. And probably more importantly, you figure out whether you really want to continue on your journey with the Witcher series because the games are very hit or miss, especially on /v/. The entire series is a diamond in the rough and can take time to adjust to because CDPR aren't too great with gameplay, controls or mechanics, so all those people whining about why they hate TW3 so much, well, they should have started with 1 and 2 to get a grasp on whether they like the series enough to deal with those issues. But honestly, TW1 is a great game on its own except for its piss poor 15-20 hours and combat people are either okay with or despise with a passion.
>>
>>322379570
>the witcher series is about its lore, character build and acting
Then why wasn't it a movie? Seems like that kind of squanders the uniqueness of the medium.
>>
>>322356028
Witcher 1 is the best of the series.
Dice Poker.
>>
File: 1448148141144.jpg (44 KB, 288x264) Image search: [Google]
1448148141144.jpg
44 KB, 288x264
>>322379674
>except for its piss poor 15-20 hours
are you saying the game is poor for at least 15 hours into it?
>>
>>322375478
I like the first one more too, but this guy is a fucking faggot.

>i-its not liek the witcher is meant to be
>I've only read the first book

Faggot
>>
File: PEQUOD.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
PEQUOD.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>322356502
>Witcher 3
>GOAT

Sure thing, buddy.
>>
Wow, this is the most divided I've seen /v/ on an issue. Personally I think it's 3>2>1.

I originally dropped 1 after chapter 2 and just went to the second game. I loved 2 so much that I decided to go back to 1 and try to beat it, ended up really enjoying it. And chapter 4 is one of my favorite parts of the series.

Each game has it's own pluses and minuses, one is a deeper RPG with more monster hunting, while two is better written with a more approachable combat system. Personally I think 3 is the a combination of the best parts of the series. The only thing I dock 3 for is the style felt slightly more like generic fantasy, whereas 2 felt like a pretty unique take on fantasy
>>
>>322380139
Whoops, I forgot to add in FIRST 15-20 hours. The only thing really worthwhile about chapters 1 and 2 were some of the sidequests and the atmosphere, but everything else was a solid meh that made me drop the game twice before I finally muscled through.
>>
Try The Witcher 3 and see if you like it.

Personally combat was a gamekiller for me and I dropped the game after forcing myself to finish 1 and 2. But if you want the story you might like it.
>>
>>322380139
It's not really poor, but the combat takes getting used too, you barely have any moves at the start, and chapter 1 has some MMO like quests, but payoff at the end of chapter 1 is worth it
>>
>>322379942
its a book bro, the games are a spin off, and is a game because the developers were game translators, back in the 90s, when the oficial translating scene started to rot, they bought the rights of Witcher and made their first game, the witcher, thats why
>>
>>322379942
>Seems like that kind of squanders the uniqueness of the medium

No it doesn't, the games cover a huge interactive world with various locaitons, each game has day/night cycle, life cycles each NPC plays out and a lot of little details that make the world come alive.

Player input and choice of where to take the story is also "uniqueness" of the medium and this is the game that does that the best
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.