[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /v/ think of MOBA's? If you dont know what a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14 KB, 259x194
What does /v/ think of MOBA's?

If you dont know what a MOBA is, it is a

Multiplayer
Battle
Arena

Its a pvp game, with set maps, and classes to choose from, LOL says champions, Dota says heros, they are classes. Usually there are troops that come from your base that the enemy team kills for experience and money. The goal is to destroy the building at the center of the enemy team's base
>>
>>322349272
MOBA is a stupid as fuck term that was purely created by riot to get rid of the often used genre name "dotalike".
>>
File: 1424103671668.gif (79 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1424103671668.gif
79 KB, 255x255
I like Neutral Squire
he's very predictable and boring, such as myself.
>>
>>322349272
I used to play DotA a lot back when it was a w3 map. I used to really like it. I don't know if it changed that much with Dota 2 or if the community just became more cancerous (not that it was so great to begin with), but I just can't enjoy it anymore.
>>
File: moba.jpg (639 KB, 1260x697) Image search: [Google]
moba.jpg
639 KB, 1260x697
>>322349385
yes, that's the point

it would be retarded to consistently refer to your game by its competitior's name

stop being buttblasted about it
>>
>>322349771
I am not that mad about them coming up with something new but rather how undescriptive it is. Like for example first person shooter is so descriptive that even if you never played one you could pretty much know what it would be like just from hearing the term whereas MOBA could sound like anything from quake to a tower defense game.
>>
File: Capture.png (85 KB, 658x801) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
85 KB, 658x801
>>322349771
Roguelikes don't seem to mind.
>>
File: 1403621353876.jpg (55 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
1403621353876.jpg
55 KB, 620x620
>>322349385
This.

And the only existing Mobas are
- Dota 2
- LoL
- Smite
- Heroes of the Storm

All other "Mobas" are shit and not worth mentioning, not like these aren't shit either but they're at least played.

LoL is played entirely by kids. Which is not hard to notice even at first glance of the graphic style they use (it wasn't like this in season 1 and 2). The game has been toned down in all regards for kids as well.

Heroes of the Storm is the same kiddo-shit but in Blizzard-style.

DotA 2 is very much the most similar to the original DotA, has a better f2p model than LoL does and is out of all Mobas probably the best. Still, it features overly complex features that are just complex for the sake of complexity and not for fun and balance is not a thing.

Smite is the only third-person one out of these and it's lead by a company which requires you to run their shitty hi-patch service on startup and in the background (which spies out your computer if you didn't know) and prevents you from starting their game if you close the service.

If I would play anything, it would be DotA 2.
I would also consider playing LoL again if it stopped catering to the kids so much, but that will never happen.

All in all, all mobas are complete shit-tier.
>>
>>322349950
>competitor
>>
File: 1399506384719.jpg (12 KB, 210x229) Image search: [Google]
1399506384719.jpg
12 KB, 210x229
>>322349272
I like Smite the most.

LoL is kiddie shit any old spastic can play, and Dota is full of autism. Also Smite reminds me of WoW PvP and I'm OK with that.
>>
games that are also moba`s

wow arena/bg
cs
quake
rocketleage
cod
>insert any pvp game where you kill each other
>>
>>322349941
tbf the same can be said for role-playing game and real time strategy games

like do you not use strategy in real time d
>>
>>322350707
You don't even have to kill each other.
Fucking TF2's MvM could be considered a MOBA
>>
File: 1334360049749.jpg (46 KB, 218x264) Image search: [Google]
1334360049749.jpg
46 KB, 218x264
>'s

You don't need an apostrophe you illiterate cunt.
>>
>>322349385
>dotalike
what? no one called those types of games dotalike. all of those types of games were referred to as AoS
>>
>>322350902
Not really, AoS is an obscure term that no one used for years. When the first dotalikes like HoN and LoL started popping up, they were just refered to as dota copies.
>>
>>322350864
Not the same guy but people do say Moba like it's an actual name for something, so the apostrophe doesn't seem that out of place. Nobody says M O B A when referring to these games, you say "Mowbah".
>>
>>322349385
well, assfaggots is a hard name to commercialize so there is that
>>
>>322351376
People said "DVD's" as well, it doesn't make it grammatically correct.
>>
>>322349771
>hero brawler
Nice creative team Blizzo.
>>
>>322350410
>
DotA 2 is very much the most similar to the original DotA, has a better f2p model than LoL does and is out of all Mobas probably the best. Still, it features overly complex features that are just complex for the sake of complexity and not for fun and balance is not a thing.

Stop stating opinions and regurgitated /v/ threads as facts. Many of these complex mechanics are holdovers from WC3 engine limitations are being done away with steadily.

The game is very balanced for the amount of shit that could potentially go wrong, mind you the other games don't need balance or have had the same meta for literally years.
>>
>>322351586
to be fair, it's very slightly less shit than MOBA
>>
don't you mean ASSFAGGOTS
>>
>>322349272

>If you don't know what a MOBA is

You mean ASSFAGGOTS.
>>
sure MOBA is technically a stupid term but everybody pretty much knows exactly what its refered to so why even bother
>>
>>322351934

Did that come from one of those 'censor letters in a video game cover thread'?
>>
>>322351092
then why didn't people just play the original dota if they where just knock offs?
>>
File: Assdaggers.jpg (209 KB, 1303x1500) Image search: [Google]
Assdaggers.jpg
209 KB, 1303x1500
Pretty fun with friends.

Mostly terrible communities.
>>
>>322355337
Novelty. You get tired if you play one game for several years.
>>
>>322351724
>Many of these complex mechanics are holdovers from WC3 engine limitations
Mention just THREE of them.
Go on.
>>
>>322351934
I love assfaggots .......no homo?
>>
>>322349272
I just started lol and it's fun. This is my first moba but I've played rts before. I feel like there is so much to do right now. Like last hitting better, checking minimap more frequently, optimizing my build order, learning all the characters and matchups, getting good at spell casting etc. Maybe I'll hate the game when I get good at it but right now it's fun as hell.
>>
what
>>
I play some HotS. It's fun. Never touched any other moba though.
>>
I love them.
>>
ASSFAGGOTS is a much better name.
>>
Love DotA 2. Super fun when you have a competent team that cooperates. The worst is when you get a feeder, for example yesterday was playing Naga Siren perfectly , good time on Radiance, Manta Style by 24 minutes, no deaths, Boots of Travel by 27~min, but 1-14 slark so because of him we just completely lost.
>>
ASSFAGGOTS are RTS games for stupid people.
>>
File: Chao.png (31 KB, 241x197) Image search: [Google]
Chao.png
31 KB, 241x197
>Ctrl F
>no awesomenauts
It's the only moba that isn't hot garbage and actually fun
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.