[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I played this briefly and is it just me or is it really convoluted?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
I played this briefly and is it just me or is it really convoluted? Maybe I'm just used to the simplicity of Bastion having just completed it, but it seems to throw a lot at you without really explaining anything.

Does it become clearer or is it just me? I like a lot of things about it so far, specifically the soundtrack, narration and aesthetic, but the gameplay seems like I'm just pressing buttons for the sake of it. I don't feel attached to the action.

Also, Transistor thread if you like.
>>
>>322347215
Expect to not know what is going on for your first playthrough
>>
>>322347774
In a good way or a bad way? I have a hard enough time getting to play games as it is, never mind playing them twice.
>>
>>322348239
I did one playthrough and then looked up a guide which told me what was going on all along. I liked i better than bastion because of the gameplay/art/soundtrack. Just go and finish it, its only about 3 hours long
>>
>>322348330
Three hours? Are you shitting me? Well, alright then.
>>
>>322347215
Just never install the limiter than powers down (or whatever) your abilities when you unequip them and experiment liberally.

I played it with basically nothing but the planning thing for combat, then read that most people didn't use that as often as possible. so whatever, yknow?
>>
Many of the plot elements are not explained very well. One of the things that confused me is the concept of ' going to the country'. Apparently it's a physical location, a term coined to describe death and one of the dimensions inside the transistor. At one point a newscaster talks about everybody in Cloudbank 'going to the Country' but that could either mean ritual suicide or a standard evacuation.
>>
>>322348470
I've just been button mashing. It's ridiculous that it works. I also lost one of my abilities and I had to reach terminals to get them back which seems like a stupid system.

>>322348498
I feel like it's trying too hard to be ambiguous.
>>
File: 1436201777848.jpg (9 KB, 337x337) Image search: [Google]
1436201777848.jpg
9 KB, 337x337
>>322348498
Red's song 'We All Become' is extremely fucking dark when you think about what she's really suggesting.
>Stop grieving, start leaving
>Before we all become one
>>
>>322348769
I liked how the game takes away your abilities. It encourages experimentation, and actually gave consequences for failure, so it added tension. I hate how almost every game doesn't punish failure, other than sending you back to a checkpoint a couple of minutes away
>>
>>322348987
I can respect that, but so far the way it removes your abilities seems inconsistent.
>>
>>322348769
>I feel like it's trying too hard to be ambiguous.
there's a lot of exposition or whatever unlocked by using abilities in different combinations. Like when you inspect them it has some kind of "use as a modifier with x to learn more" or some shit. it's been almost a year since I played but that probably makes sense when you've got the menus up.
>>
>>322349130
Yeah, I saw that. It's a bit dense but I'll have a play around with it. I'm curious about the world already so that's good.
>>
>>322349072
I think that its the one you use the most
>>
>>322349072
>>322349252
It removes the ability that takes up the most slots first.
>>
>>322347215
It really is convoluted, none of the characters bother with exposition. Thankfully what parts of it I saw and understand made me play it a second time shortly afterwards and that helped a lot.
>>
>>322348470
>>322348769
The only way to win with all 10 limiters on is to fight in real time.

If you don't care about achievements, plan mode is awesome.
>>
>>322349512
OK, thanks.

I don't plan on giving up with it, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't alone in feeling lost.
>>
>>322349072
>>322349330
wait, removes, or just greys out? 'cause you've got so much power to spend on abilities, and can't equip beyond your means.
>>
>>322350081
Greys out. First time it happened I lost my normal ability on Square, although I could put something else in its place.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.