[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what is the general consensus of Phantom Hourglass here on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: phantom-hourglass.jpg (211 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
phantom-hourglass.jpg
211 KB, 1280x1024
So what is the general consensus of Phantom Hourglass here on /v/?

Whenever i see those threads where people rate zelda games, it seems everyone shits on this one in particular.

I personally enjoyed the fuck out of it. However my prior zelda experience comprised of the original LOZ, link's awakening and 4 sword adventure.

So what does /v/ enjoy/hate about this game? I'd love to hear about both the criticism and the appreciation.
>>
Most people hate it because muh stylus and muh ocean temple. Although he controls aren't bad as long as you're playing on a DS (so not emulating with mouse and keyboard) and the Temple of the ocean king let's you take a new shortcut every time which means that you're able to complete a floor in literal seconds.

My main complaint with the game would be the overworld. I wasn't a huge fan of Wind Waker's over world but this was just even more empty and boring. Usually 2D Zelda have better over world's than 3D Zelda.
>>
>>322338925
It had some creative spots that I liked such as the island shaped like a DS and the one you had to map out yourself. I actually did enjoy it at release, but it seemed like a worse version of Wind Waker that could have been better.
>>
i really enjoyed the sword upgrade, the islands and the bosses. the dungeons were okay, and linebeck was amazing, i dare say a better companion than midna. i even felt sad when he gets turned into the final boss

i think its a good game but people dont lke the control or the totok, but i thought they were fine. honestly i hated spirit tracks tower alot more than totok
>>
>>322338707
Its a good game, not amazing and the main problem is that it will get compared to the previous 3D zelda games while being a handheld title.

Ocean temple is a bit repetitive, but if you played properly and took note of shortcuts on your first time through it really didn't matter (retards generally just ignored this mechanic and then cried when not having noted the shortcut locations so they got lost or some shit) It has a pretty great ending sequence and final boss, and the Linebeck is perhaps the first sign of long-term character development in a Zelda game, to the point where he downright out-stages Link who is a static brick of a character as usual.

Main issue is some of the minigames are just awful, but that only matters if you're trying for 100%
>>
>>322338707
Wind Waker was an awful, boring game but at least it controlled well, looked good, and let you roam around the (pathetically empty) overworld freely. PH couldn't even say that.
>>
>>322339137
SPOILER THAT SHIT FAGGOT
>>
>>322338925
Interesting that you mention the overworld. I loved the concept of exploring through an ocean and traveling between islands. But i feel like there could've been more.
Recently i've been asked to DM for a DnD session and i made an adventure styled similar to phantom hourglass. However i noticed it was rather hard to add gameplay and complexity.
One thing i would've loved was fights actually on and around the ship as if it was to scale, rather than just point and shoot.

>Melee fights on the outer deck
>acrobatic fights in the sky from the crows nest
>hunting foes on the edge of the ship and even underwater

just imagine how cool it could've been if these were actual gameplay mechanics. though it does remind me a little bit of shadow of the colossus or the souls series.
>>
>>322339370
dude the games old as hell thats like spoiling darth vader dies
>>
File: TOO LEWD.gif (3 MB, 335x197) Image search: [Google]
TOO LEWD.gif
3 MB, 335x197
I liked both DS Zelda games
Linebeck was the shit
>>
>no linebeck in hyrule warrios

such a trash game
>>
Ocean Temple was as awful as advertised, stylus controls are completely fine though

It has some interesting ideas, and has one of my favourite puzzles in the series (mapping that one uncharted island to figure out what it is), and Linebeck is god tier. It's not an amazing Zelda, but yes, both this and ST get way too much flak.
>>
>>322339680
HOLY FUCK ANON THAT'S SOME OFFENSIVE MATERIAL
>>
>>322339956
shut the fuck up before i cuck u m8
>>
>>322338707
It has its problems but its good overall. Plus Linebeck is the best video game character ever created.
>>
I enjoyed it. I found the controls for rolling a little annoying but they fixed that in ST. As others have said, Linebeck was awesome. It was definitely a relief after how disappointing TP was.
>>
File: link.png (18 KB, 521x560) Image search: [Google]
link.png
18 KB, 521x560
Hi, I'm the Hero of Winds.
>>
>>322338707
It's not a horrible game, but it's an awful bait-and-switch as a sequel to Wind Waker.
>>
>>322339893
Spirit tracks just has the fucking horrendous music playing sections and the main issue that nothing is really outstanding.
>>
>>322340667
i actually enjoyed the music playing, besides having to blow into the fucking mic
>>
>>322341445
The concept was neat but it barely fucking worked.
>>
>>322338707
>playing PH before WW
>hasn't played OOT and MM yet
Anyway, I thought the game was charming. Very simple tho.
>>
>>322341738

I genuinely don't understand what issue people had with the pipe, it worked fine for me. Unless your mic was just broken I don't see how it could have been a problem.
>>
File: 1350360777252.gif (2 MB, 225x169) Image search: [Google]
1350360777252.gif
2 MB, 225x169
PH is a good game that /v/ hates because if they see so much as a stone they've seen before they go apeshit, plus they can't use their newly acquired items to skip places.

Spirit Tracks is an ok game with fucking absolutely horrible transportation method (even that godly music can't save it), and those fuckhorrible flute sections.

Other than that terrible train, both games control fine, have some cool uses for the touch screen, and look fine for a DS game. Oh, and FUCK those cinematics showing what the button you just pressed does, they did NOT need to pause the game for 5 seconds everytime you touch something. This is small yes, but it happens way too fucking frequently throughout the entire fucking game. I'd pay for a version of these games with this patched out.
>>
>enjoyed

the story, characters, side stuff, dungeon design

>didn't particularly enjoy

touch controls, ocean temple

It's a solid game that I've kind of forgotten about. Might replay it this winter.
>>
>>322342287
of course by now i've already played every zelda game. but back then i didn't own an N64 and the gamecubes games i had were scarce.
>>
>>322343046
That's a problem with Zelda games in general honestly, I remember the Majora's Mask remake it gets REALLY obnoxious in the moon Zora section, where you need to quickly do a series of precision jumps and failing once (or god forbid trying to find the heart-piece there) sends you back to the start and every time you hit one of the switches along the way you get a 10 second long sequence showing you that a gate has opened somewhere.

I'd much rather just explore, memorize and find out on my own, game.
>>
>>322338707
>nintenshit
JUST
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.