[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>decide to start using shulk because his monado arts look
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6
File: shulk[1].jpg (678 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
shulk[1].jpg
678 KB, 1500x1500
>decide to start using shulk because his monado arts look rad
>heard some shit about his frame data but I thought it couldn't be that bad, plus he got a few buffs
>enter a match
>the start up frames on his attacks are longer than the recovery frames of any non heavy character

good god who the fuck balances this shit? After eightish balance patches you think this'd be fixed a bit

now I see why every tourney player dropped him

smash thread I guess
>>
Smash is a party game.
>>
>>322320631
that's no excuse to throw balance out the window
>>
Just spam n-air and always use your smash+grab to kill.you are right though he is and was overated as fuck at launch.He is not horrible just decent stay away from his long end lag attacks
>>
>>322321468
nair is unsafe on shield and easy to shield grab due to little shield stun

>stay away from his long end lag attacks

so 80% of his moveset?
>>
File: backward_fair_stage_spike.webm (873 KB, 1365x768) Image search: [Google]
backward_fair_stage_spike.webm
873 KB, 1365x768
day 1 shulk main here. I won't claim to be an expert of the game, but I'd say I'm pretty decent.

approaching from the air is usually a bad idea. but using Monado Jump you can throw some crossups into the mix because of how fast you can move around in the air. if you try to approach with aerials, land them on the other side of the opponent. most people have shield grab programmed into their brains now, so a lot of people, especially FG shitters, will go DUH R+A I GOTCHU and whiff a grab while you stand up behind them.

you're probably not using bair enough. bair has a ridiculous range, and some strange hitboxes on the red part of the monado. it has decent kill power. if you crossup with it, you can often leave people DI-ing very poorly, killing very early.

don't forget monado buster increases not only damage, but SHIELD STUN.

gimp. gimp gimp gimp. shulk is a pro gimper. once again, monado jump gives you *insane* mobility offstage. learn your opponent's airdodge habits and bait it out.

learn how to space your moves and use the high endlag as a baiting tool.

if you're feeling adventurous, get the MALLC timings down and put up shield pressure that way.

back throw turns the opponent around, surprise them with a backslash once or twice.
>>
>>322320524
Shulks not bad.

If you play customs use the improved monados.

>buster
>60 damage
>smash
>down throw
>repeat
>win
>>
File: HrvLbF.jpg (763 KB, 1600x1024) Image search: [Google]
HrvLbF.jpg
763 KB, 1600x1024
>>322320524
You have to space with him. I'm not going to lie, he's terrible in all regards except his range. It's really, really hard to use him effectively.

It is almost impossible to out do projectile camping because the start up on your attacks are just too slow. It's incredibly hard to return to neutral because you can't retaliate quickly enough. You have to be on point all the time, and even if you are, you will still get your shit pushed it.

I have an 85% For Glory winrate with him, for what that's worth, but it has nothing to do with him being a good character, it has to do with me being better than For Glory scrubs. I've won two of the thirteen tournaments I've entered with him, and never placed lower than top 8. I'm not god at the game or anything, but I do pretty well with him because I sat down and stubbornly got good. There's no reason you can't do the same thing if you like the character as much as I do. If you care more about winning and want a similar character, I would suggest Ike or Cloud.
>>
>>322322953
ya I fluctuate around 83% myself

it just feels like as the game is optimized his frame data just gets more and more taken advantage of

>>322322746
definitely agreed on the gimping, his fair and bair are really good gimp tools. problem is getting them offstage
>>
>>322320524
For the most part, it seems like Smash 4's balance team has certain "roles" they want characters to have and they don't want them to leave this role. That's why you don't get any super significant balance changes.

The idea they had with Shulk seems like they wanted him to have tons of range but slow start up and high end lag to balance it. They probably don't want to go against that so Shulk just gets a ton of 1%/.5% damage increases on his moves for his "buffs". He got like 2 frames less landing lag on all his shit but that doesn't mean much, honestly. He'd be a lot more usable if there was L-canceling in this game, then he'd actually be able to space efficiently.
>>
>>322322953
One trick I should mention that I've never seen another Shulk player do, you can really fuck up your opponent's flow and avoid damage ranges for 50/50s or kill confirms by switching into Smash or Shield. Sheik doesn't have a 50/50 against you if you do it properly. You're still at a severe disadvantage, but Sheik has a lot of problems killing without the 50/50. This works on a lot of Pikachu, ZSS and Diddy strings as well.

I think when Shulks start learning this, it will be able to even out certain match ups simply because the opponent will have much less experience in fighting against you if their regular bread and butters don't work. It's not a miracle cure or anything, but I've beaten some pretty good Sheiks and Luigis because their shit doesn't work the way they're accustomed to.
>>
>>322323520
Also Smash 4's balance team feels like they have certain rules they abide by.

One of those seems to be not touching auto cancel frames. They've only changed auto cancel frames like two or three times iirc.

The first was in like, the 3DS days. They made Ike's fair auto cancel in a SH(even then, I don't think they actually changed his auto cancel, I think it had something to do with them speeding up the fair animation). The second was when they were tearing Diddy to shreds.

Seems like those only get touched in extreme cases.
>>
File: kirby.gif (153 KB, 500x362) Image search: [Google]
kirby.gif
153 KB, 500x362
any kirby mains ITT

tfw u dair to dair to dair to dair etc to footstool
>>
File: 1444966009936.jpg (42 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1444966009936.jpg
42 KB, 300x300
>>322324493
>Tfw Kirby never gets nerfed, only buffed, and even then he was already good to begin with
>>
File: kirby_noodle.gif (337 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
kirby_noodle.gif
337 KB, 480x360
>>322324859
it's nice to have kill options for once

i wonder if he'll get something good in the bayo patch

like reduced lag on hit for down-b
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.