[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Its ok It's art design is flawed but its soundtrack is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12
File: hqdefault.jpg (4 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
4 KB, 480x360
Its ok
It's art design is flawed but its soundtrack is great
Genocide is flawed as it feels empty while Pacifist feels complete
Its fanbase is cancer but the games humor is witty when they don't use memes which unfortunately are few
It isn't really big and noteworthy but its going to stick around
>>
>>322287529

JOHN CENAAA
>>
inb4 le tumblr image
>>
>memes
Such as?
>>
>>322287529
why censor it? you're right
>>
>>322287529
Genocide is supposed to feel empty edgelord
>>
File: undyne.png (73 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
undyne.png
73 KB, 400x250
>>322287786
Anime neckbeard fujoshi lizard takes the cake, imo.
>>
Its good.

But it has all the elements required to get a rabid obsessive autistic fanbase
>>
File: Fierce Googly Link.jpg (106 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
Fierce Googly Link.jpg
106 KB, 500x667
How dare you have reasonable opinions about video games, OP?

Just where do you get off?
>>
File: giphy-3.gif (468 KB, 500x255) Image search: [Google]
giphy-3.gif
468 KB, 500x255
>>322287529
>"It's art design is flawed"
=
>"It is art design is flawed"
Stay in school kids
>>
People always focus on the wrong things and ignore what the game is best at.

The meta elements in this are outstanding.
>>
>>322288130
It is art, design is flawed.
>>
>>322288350
Art cannot be flawed.
>>
File: 1449238768608.png (288 KB, 595x446) Image search: [Google]
1449238768608.png
288 KB, 595x446
>>322288398
Art is flawed.

Inherently so.

You genuine plebe.
>>
I found the genocide run more fulfilling because it was the only one where I felt challenged and accomplished.
>>
>>322288746
I can see that, during Pacifist you seem to be a passerby who just fixes the problems and makes friends. While genocide your killing people and it shows emotion and it certainly is more difficult.
>>
>>322288398
>Entartete Kunst
>>
>>322289030
I just couldn't give a shit about pacifist since I found so many of the characters unlikable.

I felt especially cheated during my genocide playthrough that I wasn't presented a way to kill Alphys when she's the single worst and most irritating character in the game.

The genocide route has intrinsic worth because it involves successfully clearing a succession of structured and difficult challeneges. Pacifist is only rewarding on a purely emotional level, and without a stake in the characters' lives I can't get anything out of it. I found the way the game flip flops in tone especially grating and only eroded my tolerance of them. For instance I can't take Undyne seriously despite her being in trouble in the final fight because I just spent two minutes ago telling her anime is real.
>>
>>322289557
Alphys pissed me off so much! Her fucking robot still tops my list for most annoying character tho
>>
>Genocide route feels empty
Because you are an empty cold blooded killer.
That's good design to match that feeling.
>>
>>322287959
that's definitely a meme and not a character that likes anime
>>
>>322289812
It's empty because the only significant difference is two boss fights.
>>
>>322289758
Mettaton was a mixed bag for me. Some of the physical and setpiece comedy was fine, but it dragged on a little too long. The pacifist and genocide mettaton fights were a pretty cool parallel, one is you playing along for the most hype fight possible, the other is you really killing him for real.

Ultimately Mettaton was funny at times but his joke got old. Alphys is infinitely worse because she was awful from the very beginning but the narrative constantly frames her as someone you're meant to like and enjoy. Nothing is guaranteed to fill you with ire like comedy falling flat with blissful ignorance of how shit it is.
>>
>>322289812
When you have the option for multiple endings, you shouldn't punish somebody for doing a route by giving that route less content.
Doing that is like putting a giant sign over the other ending that says "THIS IS THE BLATANTLY CORRECT CHOICE".
Why bother giving somebody a choice at all if you're just going to scream at them for not choosing the one you wanted them to?
>>
File: MonsoonI4.png (563 KB, 933x769) Image search: [Google]
MonsoonI4.png
563 KB, 933x769
>>322289976
everything is a meme now
>>
>>322290145
what about whole towns fleeing you? how isn't that significant?
>>
>>322290326
Because the genocide "ending", neutral ending and pacifist ending culminate together in a meta narrative about how the actions the player may take appear sociopathic from an in universe perspective. What would be grinding in a normal RPG is genocide, intentionally killing everything. Choosing the genocide route despite it being wrong solely for the sake of seeing all the content etc.

Unfortunately, that's a rather shallow message the game seems to think is a lot more clever and new than it really is.
>>
>>322289976
>>
>>322290326
I think a player who is actively killing the content of the game (eg: characters and their dialogue) probably doesn't care too much about the world being empty. And honestly, most players won't do that on the first playthrough anyway

I also think it is not so much about rewarding a choice, as much as it is about keeping some internal consistence and making the world react to you.

I mean, if there was a guy walking towards your house, killing everyone in the way what would you do? Stay in your lemon stand as you always do and keep that juice fresh for when he comes or GTFO?

To me having the world react is its own reward. Compare that to Bethesdashit were you can murder and rape children and everyone reaction to your presence will be the same. If I am a fucking serial killer psycho I would want the world to acknowledge it wouldn't you?
>>
>>322287529
I agree fully
Havent beat it yet though
>>
>>322287786
Gutsman's ass
>>
>>322291046
So a game where there is a kingdom of monsters living underground trying to kill children to open a barrier is supposed to be realistic?
Not only that, but what if somebody didn't pirate the game and ended up wanting to genocide? They get a completely empty game that was not worth a single penny. But no, everybody has to do the "happy joy fun times!" route to get the worth out of the game.
>>
Yeah, I don't get all the buzz about it. It was a fun game and a decent story, but I feel like the only people who would really be floored by it are those who haven't played many video games or have fairly low standards. If it was released 20 years ago, I'm sure it would have been called a masterpiece, but by today's standards it's only an above average indie game released in a year with a lot of disappointing major releases. That said, even with as disappointed as I was in MGSV, I wouldn't call Undertale the better game.
>>
>>322287529
Breaking news: nobody asked for your opinion, dipshit. The last thing the board needs is another tumblrtale thread. Fuck off, go make a youtube video about it or something.
Enjoy your 5 views, you self-absorbed piece of shit-
>>
>>322290326
You know people would complain if that option didn't exist though.
>>
>>322291443

Well, it's only the soundeffect, but yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_IaF962b5c
>>
>>322291904

When you complain about it you only give them more fuel and reason to shitpost about it. Just ignore it.
>>
>>322292151
fun fight though
I'd like the game better if I was better at it
>>
>>322292223
>i-if you keep insulting my game I'm going to post more
Bring it on, I'll keep calling you a gigantic faggot.
>>
>>322287529
Weren't really many memes I can think of. Humor was still hit and miss, but mainly because it relied on randumb humor
>>
>>322292405
You're so mad at OP.
Take a chill pill.
>>
File: 1447287093972.jpg (56 KB, 500x556) Image search: [Google]
1447287093972.jpg
56 KB, 500x556
>reading some feedback about Undertale
>see people talking about how they were physically unable to go through with doing a genocide route because they were too attached to the characters to kill them and broke into tears when Papyrus spared them

What the hell is wrong with people it's a game.
>>
>>322291531
>So a game where there is a kingdom of monsters living underground trying to kill children to open a barrier is supposed to be realistic?
I love this excuse. Internal consistency does not mean real-world limitations, it means things happen in a believable way within the context of the story.
>Not only that, but what if somebody didn't pirate the game and ended up wanting to genocide?
The likelyhood that you would approach the game in this way, let alone get a true genocide ending without outside prompting is slim to none. Neutral fills this niche just fine.
>>
>>322292514
You're still a faggot and your game is still pure shit.
>>
>>322291904
>>322292405
Which is sadder: you doing this for months to piss people off, or you doing this for months because you think it helps?
>>
File: 1341699268880.jpg (830 KB, 862x1293) Image search: [Google]
1341699268880.jpg
830 KB, 862x1293
>midi tracks
>GOAT sountrack
>>
I hope people realize genocide feels empty and incomplete on purpose.

Surely /v/ isn't that daft to not realize that right?
>>
>>322292734
hahahah, faggot.
>>
File: 8c7.jpg (76 KB, 600x582) Image search: [Google]
8c7.jpg
76 KB, 600x582
>>322287651
>>
>>322292782
>>w-why is no no-one here arguing with me?
What about you, faggot? Don't delete your posts, I know where you live.
Faggot.
>>
>>322292801
I loved the game, but that's definitely my biggest complaint
Also the autistic grinding. I know its basically a parody of JRPGS, but that doesn't make it fun.
>>
>>322287529
>it's art design
>it's
Jesus Christ, learn basic fucking English before you post online.
>>
>>322291531
You can have a believable world with believable characters without it being realistic. Believable means it has some sort of internal logic even if it wouldnt make sense otherwise.
> Not only that, but what if somebody didn't pirate the game and ended up wanting to genocide?
I would feel very sorry for them. But I would have to ask myself why would they be draw to a game like Undertale when they just want a bloodbath
>>
>>322292596
Children, mostly. Being unable to enjoy a story from an outside perspective is the domain of teenage girls.

>>322292861
>>322292990
Hey Juwaha, Jerkdouglas.
>>
>>322292684
>w-why is no no-one here arguing with me?
>C'mon someone yell at me... I-I called it tumblrtale!
>a-anyone?
>please guys! I need more content to add to my "typical undertale fans" collage!
>>
>>322292801
>genocide is empty and incomplete on purpose

Then why was it the only one that felt rewarding idiot?
>>
>>322292990
It was flawed
I improved while I could :^) >>322293234
>>
>>322293095

Nah I meant moreso, if you are a genocidal maniac and word gets out, people avoid you because you are a genocidal maniac.

That's why it's so "lonely" and "incomplete."

Only complaint I have about this game is the fact you can kill everyone except the only character I wanted to kill from the moment I ran into her.

That fuck Toby did that on purpose. I wanted to kill Alphys immediately. What an awful piece of shit character.
>>
File: 1282839532626.jpg (22 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1282839532626.jpg
22 KB, 268x265
>>322287529
>spoilering your stupid opinions nobody would otherwise give a fuck about actually nets replies
shit why didn't I try this
>>
File: max payne face.jpg (36 KB, 626x379) Image search: [Google]
max payne face.jpg
36 KB, 626x379
>>322292739
>shitting on MIDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3dB0qEcG20
>>
>>322293309

I dunno, why don't you tell me why you thought it was the most rewarding for you.

And reflect on realizing what it means.
>>
I don't think there's any excuse for one type of playthrough (genocide) being significantly worse than the other kinds. Even if I'm "meant" to play all types of playthroughs, all that does is make it even more obvious about the lacking playthrough's shortcomings.

"But it's SUPPOSED to be empty because you're a killer!" Yeah, I get that, but that only benefits the atmosphere while simultaneously detracting from the gameplay. If you can't achieve both, then it should be the other way around. Call me old fashioned, but I value gameplay above all else in video games, and when you do things that benefit the story, characters, atmosphere, etc. while at the same time making the gameplay worse off because of it, then that's just poor game design. And there's no excuse for that.
>>
>No hardmode
>no boss rush
>there are only two bosses that aren't utter shit
>Toby not utilizing the mechanics he introduces with each boss to their full extent outside of sans
FINISH YOUR SHITTY GAME TOBY
>>
>>322293564
The genocide fight was me overcoming a structured and difficult challenge to be rewarded with a sense of accomplishment. The pacifist ending didn't give me that.
>>
OP is my new best friend.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.