[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm replaying Dragon Quest VI since its the only Dragon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 31
File: 1449382299216.jpg (201 KB, 850x1014) Image search: [Google]
1449382299216.jpg
201 KB, 850x1014
I'm replaying Dragon Quest VI since its the only Dragon Quest game I didn't like the first time I tried it. But somehow, I'm really getting into the game now. But for the life of me, I can't figure out why. The story and characters aren't all that memorable. And the class system is really slow.

Are we that starved for Dragon Quest games that I'm finding enjoyment in what is arguably the weakest game in the series?
>>
Fuck you 6 is amazing.
>>
>>322272052

In what ways? That's what I'm trying to figure out. So far it just feels like a smaller version of Dragon Quest VII.
>>
Because it has like four overworlds. Best exploration in Dragon Quest
>>
>>322272513

By that logic, Dragon Quest VII has like 40 overworlds.
>>
File: 1450569003664.png (2 MB, 1041x1468) Image search: [Google]
1450569003664.png
2 MB, 1041x1468
Why is Ashlynn so useless? I want to use her in battle, but everyone else does more damage. Her only use so far seems to be the ability to use whips and costume contests.
>>
File: 12508283.jpg (326 KB, 700x736) Image search: [Google]
12508283.jpg
326 KB, 700x736
>Weakest game
That's not 2 senpai.

But 6 is pretty weak yeah.
>>
DQVI is very good. It's quite lengthy, especially by comparison to DQIV. I enjoyed grindin' jobs though and I know that's not for everyone
>>
File: 1376029615920.gif (37 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1376029615920.gif
37 KB, 500x400
>>322274464

I kind of like DQII. Yeah the seals are stupid and there's too much water. But after all that frustration, you feel satisfied finishing it. Dragon Quest VI...I donno. Fighting Murdaw early on is difficult, but not in a satisfying way. Its more like 'let me fucking get to Dharma already!' way.
>>
File: DQVIDS_-_Amos.png (429 KB, 567x800) Image search: [Google]
DQVIDS_-_Amos.png
429 KB, 567x800
>>322272052

I am playing through VI for the first time right now and I gotta say, I enjoyed IV and V far more.

You wrap up your "main quest" in the first few hours and then just kinda go around doing what would be side-quests in any other game. There's so little direction besides Madame Luca, which feels really inorganic compared to just figuring out where to go from where you were.

That being said, the little side stories are very enjoyable, and Milly having been a child rape slave threw me for a fucking loop, but it's the weakest of the Zenithia games.

On an unrelated note, when will OL' AMOS be confirmed for Dragon Quest Heroes 2?
>>
>>322271280
>The story and characters aren't all that memorable.
Party chat party chat party chat
>>
>>322273674
I made her a luminary and hustle dance got me out of a bind until I got multiheal.
>>
File: 1424651208045.png (552 KB, 600x574) Image search: [Google]
1424651208045.png
552 KB, 600x574
>>322274987

So far, Amos is the best character in the game. Both his party chat and also his origin story. Kind of points out how bland the main cast is.

I intend to make both the main hero and Amos into the hero class.
>>
>>322276086
Amos and Carver are GOAT.
Ashlynn and Milly are OK.
Terry is shit tier.
Nevan is "state the obvious" tier. (Finding out he's a horny bugger was funny though)
>>
>>322271280

VI bored me to tears. I'm not sure why, I can't call it a bad game, it's fun, but it just bored me so.

I was thinking about creating my own DQ thread a moment ago, but I see I don't have to. Finally finished IX. It took awhile to get into that game, I was so bored for awhile. I think I was just Dragon Quested out when I started it since I basically played VII and VIII back to back and then got into IX. The sidequests suck though, a bunch of MMO-tier trash, and the job system is annoying in this game. Still, when I ignored those two things, it was fine.

I didn't do any of the post game though aside from unlocking the Angel's Ark (Starflight Express) and the puff-puff quest. A lot of people seem to like the post game though. Why is that? Are the quests better than in the main game somehow, or more MMO-style throwaway quests? And it sounds like it requires a lot of grinding.

Well at least I'm done with the main series, DQ X aside. I'll try that one at some point, but I'm not really too into MMOs.

Didn't expect to get as into the series as I did. They didn't even really enthrall me too much until I played DQ III (I played them in order). Fun series, already wanting to replay some of them, but I figure I should clear out some more of my never ending backlog.

/blogpost
>>
>>322276963
Playing through 9s post game, it still seems like mmo tier shit, but they have storylines now.
It's all about the grotto dungeon crawling and legacy bosses.

The class system made me quit though. Who thought that was a good idea?
>>
Just got IV for my DS the other day. How is it?
>>
>>322277382
It's great.
Probably one of the best entry points in the series.
First story focused game, but not slow paced like 8, so easy for people to get into it if they're used to modern jrpgs.
>>
File: 313578.jpg (243 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
313578.jpg
243 KB, 620x400
>>322277382
It's pretty good.
>>
File: 9851354757226.png (3 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
9851354757226.png
3 KB, 416x416
>Getting Milly and Ashlynn to learn Goof Off so they can flash their tits all battle erry battle
>>
File: 1439274378397.jpg (332 KB, 700x673) Image search: [Google]
1439274378397.jpg
332 KB, 700x673
>>322277382

One of the best DQ games. But sadly, the western version has the worst translation in history.

So its a solid gold bar coated in cowpat.
>>
>>322277202

Yeah, that's one reason I stopped playing the game for so long. It's similar to DQ III's, but it wasn't a problem. Fight Metal Slimes or Hagure Metals for a short while and they're back to what they were before the de-leveling. But exp is level scaled in IX for some ungodly reason.
>>
>>322277382

Great if you can read Japanese.
>>
>>322274987
>child rape slave
You fucking what
Was that in the DS version because I didn't see any of that in the SFC version
>>
>>322277753
There is literally nothing wrong with IV's translation. V, VI, and IX's were far worse.
>>
>>322277202
>The class system made me quit though. Who thought that was a good idea?
You're gonna love playing DQVII 3DS.
They copy-pasted IX's class system into it.
>>
File: DragonQuestIV_Translation.jpg (36 KB, 256x384) Image search: [Google]
DragonQuestIV_Translation.jpg
36 KB, 256x384
>>322278137

>There is literally nothing wrong with IV's translation.
>>
>>322278334
I see no problems with that image.
Are you unable to read, Anon?
>>
>>322277519

VIII's slow paced? I didn't notice that.

>>322278034

Not him. I played the Japanese DS version and remember hearing that she was a slave and the king kept making advanced on her so she legged it. It never explicitly stated that she was ever raped, but I guess that's up to you to decide.

>>322278137

It's more of a rewrite than a translation.

>>322278265

What? What are you talking about? I actually liked VII 3DS's system aside from not being able to carry over all skills. They're really not that similar at all.
>>
>>322278497
V, VI, and IX were rewrites.
IV is actually pretty close to the source material.
>>
>>322278497
>VIII's slow paced? I didn't notice that.
It kinda is at the start but that's just me.
>>
>>322278646

Well I haven't played any of the English versions to be honest, but from what I've seen it's pretty bad. Didn't see many videos of IV though, so I guess I shouldn't have made claims. Some of the other were definitely rewrites. The accents I've seen in IV are pretty awful though.
>>
File: the_west_asking_for_DQ.jpg (673 KB, 800x727) Image search: [Google]
the_west_asking_for_DQ.jpg
673 KB, 800x727
>>322278436

>I see nothing wrong with a translation that is so unprofessional, it makes up words
>>
>>322278646

>IV is actually pretty close to the source material.

Please, tell me where Yuji Horii ever said Alena was Russian and Ragnar was Scottish. Also, how removing all party chat is close to the original. Where adding party chat was the main reason to remake the game.

This has got to be a troll.
>>
>>322279050

Not that guy, I'm >>322279025, but I don't see any made up words in there. Using accents is not inherently a bad thing, sometimes it's even nice. It's just that DQ localizers have shown themselves to not be able to handle it.
>>
>>322279210

Even when a Scottish person writes, they don't spell no as 'noo', to as 'tae' or down as 'doon'. It is a really forced way to make a dialect work. And a process the original Japanese game didn't even do.

Dialects don't work in written form. And even when people attempt it, there's rules to writing different dialects. Not just making up words as they sound. Which Plus Alpha even failed to do that correctly.
>>
>>322279186

Again, not him and I don't like the accents in DQ, but that post was in regards to the translation (or localization rather), in regards to what WAS translated and localized. Making up accents is fine, the Japanese don't really use accents in entertainment like English speakers do. It's just that the localizers for most DQ games have gone way, way, waaay too far overboard with them.

So I don't think using accents is going against the source material, shit though they are. Party chat being removed was a pretty terrible and a sign of a poor localization though.
>>
>>322279517

>Even when a Scottish person writes, they don't spell no as 'noo', to as 'tae' or down as 'doon'.

Well yeah, when a person writes they usually write normally (which is why accents in-game letters in these games is retarded), but in a game that has no voice acting, there's no other way to convey accents except through the text. I've literally never seen anyone bitch about people using odd spellings to get an accent across in any other game or book.
>>
>>322279517
>there's rules to writing different dialects.
No.
There aren't.
When you're writing in a dialect you write it phonetically
>the original japanese game didn't even do.
what the fuck are you talking about? japanese games write out dialects phonetically all the fucking time, '-tan' is literally what it sounds like when a child tries to say '-san'
>>
>>322279210
Pretty much this. DQ localizers can't into accents. Look at a character with a Kansai accent in any game. 9/10 times out of 10 they'll give said character some sort southern dialog or whatever because there's really no other way to go around it.
>>
>>322279834

Yeah. Sandy (the gyaru fairy) in DQ IX didn't have any particular accent in the Japanese version, but she did speak like a stereotypical gyaru, so how her speech was written reflected that. Things like そーゆー instead of そいう or ちゅか instead of ていうか and so on.
>>
>>322279787
I like the accents because they make the world feel like a world with different types of people. I could do without all the punishingly poopy puns and alliteration, but I don't hate them and they can be clever sometimes.
>>
File: 1220923829148.jpg (121 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1220923829148.jpg
121 KB, 600x450
>>322279594

>So I don't think using accents is going against the source material
But it is. If the original character in the Japanese version is using standard Japanese dialect, then they add a crazy Russian dialect to the character in the western version, that changes the character drastically. You no longer look at the character based on her own personality, but associate her with Russian stereotypes and cliches.

It would be like if they dubbed Simpsons in Japanese, but gave Homer a crazy Osakan dialect and completely altered the plot of entire episodes just to make references to Osaka work. That's the level of changes they did to make DQIV.

A game can get away with some light dialect stuff. Such as a Pokemon game having a character say dude or bro a lot. But Dragon Quest IV was a complete rewrite of the entire character and much of the plot. All to make a dialect work. A dialect which makes no fucking sense to begin with.
>>
>>322279787

>but in a game that has no voice acting, there's no other way to convey accents except through the text.
Which is why they shouldn't even attempt it. Especially when the original Japanese game didn't give her a Russian accent. Or even allude to her having any connections to Russia. So why the hell is a western translator changing huge parts of the game to associate her with Russia?
>>
>>322280167

Oh it's you again. I remember these exact arguments before.

> You no longer look at the character based on her own personality, but associate her with Russian stereotypes and cliches.

Only if the accent is done poorly. How many characters in a book or a movie have you seen with a British or Scottish accent and you've never been able to think of them as anything beyond their accents? If literally every character that has an accent bothers you like that, then you can't enjoy much entertainment. Or life.

I've already said that Dragon Quest localizers do a godawful job with the accents (and localization in general). They are awfully done and are distracting, yes. I agree with you. I just don't agree that adding accents are inherently bad. Look at MGS games for example. All the Russian guards in MGS 3 spoke in typical Japanese. All the Costa Ricans soldiers in Peace Walker spoke in typical Japanese. Both groups of people were given accents in the English version and it was fine.

But this is all I'm saying about the accents, I'd rather talk about the games, I like those.
>>
>>322280658
>I'd rather talk about the games, I like those.
What do you want to talk about then anon?
>>
>>322278034

When you go to Felonia, it's extremely heavily implied that Milly was sold to the local gang, who gifted her to the corrupt king as a slave so they could keep doing their shit. When you explore the castle, there's a "pleasure room" beneath the throne room that includes a spa and a bed that the king would take his slaves- mostly attractive young women- to.

There's also the fact that if she's in your party while in Felonia, any time you find out about this information, or almost anything relating to Felonia, the only thing she ever says is "......", which is more dots than the standard out of dialogue response.
>>
>>322280793

I'm not sure. I'm a relatively recent fan who just enjoyed the games, though I'm not sure what to talk about honestly.
>>
>>322278265
Does it have scaled exp?
>>
>>322280982
Well. What DQ games have you played so far? Will you get DQ8/7 for 3DS?
>>
>>322281068

No.

>>322281198

I - III: SFC
IV: PSX
V: PS2
VI: DS
VII and VIII: 3DS
IX

Won't be getting VII and VIII for obvious reasons, though I was happy to hear the news anyway. Glad I can recommend them to people finally.
>>
File: 1233441521168.jpg (60 KB, 479x600) Image search: [Google]
1233441521168.jpg
60 KB, 479x600
>>322280658

>Only if the accent is done poorly.
Which it was in DQIV (and various other DQ games). I mean, how the hell can you defend this image? It doesn't even make sense phonetically. Is he yelling every other letter? How do you even do that when talking?

>How many characters in a book or a movie have you seen with a British or Scottish accent and you've never been able to think of them as anything beyond their accents?
Something like Treasure Island or Uncle Toms Cabin is hard for a lot of people to read. Proving that a lot of people dislike heavy accents. And from the perspective of a company trying to sell a product to as large of a group as possible, the argument can be made that some people might have dropped the DQ games because of not liking the way it is translated.

But overlooking the profit argument, its understandable why those books use the dialect choices they did. There's no reasonable explanation for why they did it in the Dragon Quest games. They were trying to mimic dialects of Earth cultures when the characters have no connections TO those Earth cultures. Ragnar isn't Scottish and Alena isn't Russian. So why the hell did they try to make them that way?

>I just don't agree that adding accents are inherently bad.
I don't think they're bad in all cases either. As I said, some series like Pokemon have done it okay. Of course Mario does it in a tongue and cheek manner which isn't to be taken seriously. Zelda also adds cut off words or dialects to some characters (especially joke ones like Tarin).

But it makes no sense for Dragon Quest. Especially when you have really cheest dialects (and puns) during super dramatic parts of the game (like the bosses before you're turned to stone in DQV or any boss in DQVIII and IX).

In Dragon Quest IX, they even added dialects to cameo characters that appeared in previously released DQ games with no accent. This makes no sense just from a consistency stand point.
>>
File: goOdIe_BaG.jpg (594 KB, 938x706) Image search: [Google]
goOdIe_BaG.jpg
594 KB, 938x706
>>322281720

Of course, I posted the wrong image like a dumbass. There goes my point.
>>
>>322281393
>No scaled exp
It's already better than 9's class system.

>V: PS2
Does the ps2 version have party chat? If not, DS version all the way. Better graphics (good 2D > bad 3D) and party chat beats out better music.
>>
>>322281720
>I mean, how the hell can you defend this image?
Are you reading his posts? He says, multiple times, that DQ does accents terribly.
>>
>>322282049

Yeah it has party chat. I was really impressed with it really. Character have a comment on *everything.* I'll have to play the DS version someday just for Debora.
>>
File: squareenix_localizations.jpg (758 KB, 971x754) Image search: [Google]
squareenix_localizations.jpg
758 KB, 971x754
>>322280658

>Only if the accent is done poorly.
People were complaining about Chrono Cross use of accents over 15 years ago. I think its safe to say that the DQ accents are even worse and would alienate those people.

It just isn't a good idea financially. It gives people yet another reason to avoid Dragon Quest as a series. And its also creeping into Final Fantasy games.
>>
>>322280375
Because it adds more flavor to the text and gives some character to an otherwise generic fantasy kingdom?
>>
>>322282372
The top one aint so bad.

Actually, I always thought the cockney accents in DQ were alright as well. Probably the only accents they do well.

The Irish accent in IV (Lakanaba) wasn't bad too. Probably because it was so light.
>>
>>322282551

The characters already have flavor from their personality and party chat. Adding dialects on top of that doesn't improve it. It takes focus away from it and onto the dialect.
>>
>>322282919

>The top one aint so bad.
When you have seven apostrophes in just three sentences, something is not right. Not even 18h century novels about pirates are that bad.
>>
>>322283183

I'm starting to think most people bitching about stuff like this have not the slightest idea of how to write.
>>
>>322283765

You really shouldn't bring proper writing into this since these translations don't follow actual grammatical rules. As was already pointed up above.
>>
>>322284404

Well that's just the thing, breaking grammar rules for a purpose is not an uncommon practice for actual writers. That people are surprised and angered by this makes me think most of them have never read anything beyond text books, and I'm not exactly an avid book reader.
>>
>>322284673

Its true that writers break rules all the time. As someone who writes teleplays myself, you can see this in pretty much every teleplay out there. There's a 'rule', then writers break it when needed.

But there's also a line you shouldn't cross. Especially massive editing of the source material and making something harder for people to read. The Dragon Quest translations do both.

And before someone snaps my head off, yes I can read them just fine. But the average person who can barely read a menu at a restaurant is going to struggle to read the examples posted above. Which means the translators are losing a large market of people who otherwise might have liked the game. Or people just ignore the story entirely.
>>
>>322278137
I recall a conversation at the desert with some guy who mentions invading other nations for oil. I doubt that was in the original.
>>
>>322285083

>But there's also a line you shouldn't cross. Especially massive editing of the source material and making something harder for people to read. The Dragon Quest translations do both.

Definitely. I was mainly talking about people cryin' 'cause too many comma are used 'n the construction of a sentence sometimes.
>>
>>322285615

>I was mainly talking about people cryin' 'cause too many comma are used 'n the construction of a sentence sometimes.
Which is an example of something some people will have trouble reading. Hell, I'm an avid reader and find myself having to read some things in FFXIV over again. Because they use apostrophes in some words that you don't commonly find them in. Like 'elpin'. There's no reason to drop the h on Helpin' aside from REALLY pushing the accent hard.
>>
>>322285889

People have trouble reading that stuff? Seriously? I could understand it giving people who aren't English natives trouble, but I am having an extremely hard time accepting that English natives who are adults have trouble with that. I can't comment on FF XIV though as I've never played it.
>>
>>322278436
It's a mental strain to read compared to normal English which makes it less enjoyable to read and it makes the characters feel like cheap caricatures.
>>
You know, I don't actually see this question asked much. Maybe because I've not had much to do with the DQ fanbase before, but what's your favorite entry in the series and why?

I have a hard time picking. I really liked the pure exploration/adventure feel of III, I really liked IV for reasons I'm not sure of. V was pretty good because of the monster system, though I do prefer more traditional parties and the story gimmick was interesting. I kinda think my favorite might be VIII? Maybe. I should let things simmer a bit more, but VIII was just a lot of fun. Great world, great characters, and it was just fun to play. It's a lot like Chrono Trigger that way, it's just fun to play.
>>
File: 1405226834364.jpg (262 KB, 500x521) Image search: [Google]
1405226834364.jpg
262 KB, 500x521
>>322286121

Time to explain reading 1010 I guess.

Your average adult doesn't read words. They skim over words and only process a few letters. For example, if someone read the word 'process', they would see the pro at the front and the boucle 'ss' at the end. Then their mind would convert it to 'process' based on past experiences.

But what if the word was Possess? Similar Po- prefix and double -ss suffix. Many adults would read it as process or any other word with a similar spelling and only realize their mistake through context of reading the whole sentence. In other words, most readers aren't really reading entire words. They're skimming and using general association/context to figure out what it says.

What does this have to do with apostrophes? If you have a sentence with tons of apostrophes, broken words or made up words, then people can't skim. They can't quickly recognize common spelling configurations and can't infer from context. In short, they have to actually read. And that frustrates some people. Leading to them quitting the game.

Most game try to cater to these lazy readers with easy to identify words and only an occasional big word to spice things up. Dragon Quest localizations on the other hand throw random gibberish at the reader and force them to think. For the few who like to think, it is okay or even a positive. But for the majority of the public, its annoying. And for some, annoying enough to quit the game.

tl;dr: It would be better if the translators dropped the accents. Unless they're content with the games only appealing to 500k sales.
>>
>>322286973

So basically what you're saying is Americans can't read. Trust me, I live in America, I know how inept people are at reading.
>>
File: 1372040055678.jpg (272 KB, 702x800) Image search: [Google]
1372040055678.jpg
272 KB, 702x800
>>322287216

The same rules I listed above apply to any English speaking group. Brits also skim and infer context through common associations. They do it so much, they have invented a shorter slang word for basically every word over 6 letters.
>>
>>322286973
>lazy readers
It's not lazy. Reading that shit is downright tiring and tedious.
It stops being about just reading the language you know and enjoying a story in a way your brain is familiar with and becomes about awkwardly constructing sentences to make out meanings in a mechanical process that feels like work instead of recreation as it has now become a work of translation instead of an enjoyable pastime. Additionally, having the text be in such an alien format that is mentally uncomfortable and familiar for the reader strips the text of any emotional relatability it might have otherwise had and just further alienates the player.
>>
>>322287643

> They do it so much, they have invented a shorter slang word for basically every word over 6 letters.

Sounds like Kansai-ben. They have contractions for contractions.
>>
>>322287646

You do realize that was kind of my argument, right?
>>
>>322279050
I want to rape ;_;
>>
>>322287643

>Brits also skim and infer context through common associations. They do it so much, they have invented a shorter slang word for basically every word over 6 letters.
This explains so much about British culture, you have no idea...

Fag.
>>
>>322287837
Thats theft!
>>
>>322287825
Your comment sounded like it was written from the point of view of someone who understood the problem, but looked down with pity and condescension on the poor inferior savages who complain and won't just grit their and slog through the terrible accents.
>>
File: 1223006260715.jpg (35 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1223006260715.jpg
35 KB, 250x250
>>322288162

Well its not. Mostly because I've been the one arguing against dialects this whole thread.
>>
Ah I can't wait for DQ VII 3DS to come out. Then we can actually talk about the games. Though depending on the localization, there may still be a lot of accent related bitching.
>>
File: 1447390398942.jpg (193 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
1447390398942.jpg
193 KB, 640x800
>>322289108

Let's hope it has a translation closer to DQVI and less like DQHeroes.

I'm just glad we're finally getting games at all. They better bring Monsters and Theathrythm over or I'm gonna lose my shit.
>>
File: 40217335.jpg (2 MB, 2064x2469) Image search: [Google]
40217335.jpg
2 MB, 2064x2469
>>322289108
Don't be too cynical anon.
>>
File: untitled.png (338 KB, 580x387) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
338 KB, 580x387
personally I don't appreciate accents. having played both the English and Spanish version of 9 as well as the zenith trilogy they accomplished nothing but making it harder to understand the story and some characters.

is better to simply make the royals use elegant words and peasants common terms the player can imagine the accents themselves by simply looking at the location.
>>
>>322290320

>is better to simply make the royals use elegant words and peasants common terms the player can imagine the accents themselves by simply looking at the location.
Exactly. Finally someone with some reason.
>>
>>322282919
>Actually, I always thought the cockney accents in DQ were alright as well. Probably the only accents they do well.

Agreed. The cockney/Old English accents work well, especially for the setting in the DQ games.
>>
File: dragon_quest_xi-3168203.jpg (252 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dragon_quest_xi-3168203.jpg
252 KB, 1280x720
>>322271280

so what are your hopes for DQXI?
>>
>>322291075

That it's not at all influenced by MMOs.
>>
>>322291075
A localization before 2021.
>>
>>322291228
DQ is not Trails anon.
>>
File: 008.jpg (156 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
008.jpg
156 KB, 400x240
>>322291075
I hope goes back to the nonlinear style the earlier games had.
Also it would be nice to have monster teams again like in DQ8 but I doubt it.
>>
>>322291075

Most people hope that it is a single player game with turn based combat. And both of those are pretty much confirmed.

I'm hoping for a lot more specific things. A return of the alchemy system like DQVIII, not Dragon Quest IX. No class system. Strong character focused plot. New advancements in exploration like DQVIII did over the previous games. A somewhat serious story with comedic elements like DQIV, V and VIII. Optional playable cameo characters from previous games like Moonbrooke, Alena, Bianca or Yangus. And an overworld even bigger than DQVIII.
>>
File: art.png (32 KB, 1536x864) Image search: [Google]
art.png
32 KB, 1536x864
>>322291549
>nonlinear
My main gripe with 9. Every single dungeon looked like this.
>>
>>322291075

To add to that, which version are you most looking forward to? PS4 for me. Though I do not yet have a PS4 as DQ XI is one of only two system exclusive games on it that I care about, and I'm not getting a PS4 for two games. I'm hoping some more interesting exclusives will be out before DQ XI so I can a reason to get one and import the game as soon as it's out.
>>
>>322291876
Yea, dont do it until it comes out man.
>>
File: 1449385313198.jpg (95 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
1449385313198.jpg
95 KB, 750x1000
>>322291876

I honestly want both versions. And won't be happy if we only get one or the other.

The PS4 version looks gorgeous and I'll probably prefer that one. But the 3DS game looks really unique. And if the game is as good as past DQ games, I'll want to replay it. So might as well replay it on 3DS with a new two screen mechanic.
>>
>>322292031

Yeah that's what I plan on doing. Play the PS4 version because it looks so damn nice, and I always prefer console or PC gaming over handhelds. Then I'll play the 3DS version later.
>>
File: dq11_new3.jpg (945 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dq11_new3.jpg
945 KB, 1280x720
>>322291876
I'll get the PS4 version first then play the 3DS version.

PS4 version looks too good.
>>
File: 09230142034.jpg (366 KB, 750x1050) Image search: [Google]
09230142034.jpg
366 KB, 750x1050
>>322291228

assuming its coming to the NX we will probably get it a year or two after japan

>>322291171

X already filled that spot so we are probably safe from that

>>322291549

recruiting monsters really needs to return. one of my favorite aspect of V.

>>322291552

>No class system

care to elaborate?

>>322291876

will probably get both since they seem to be different enough to make it worth playing each separately. ps4 will come out on top but im sure 3ds version will have its perks.

don't have aps4 either and don't want to buy one but then again its dragon quest.
>>
File: 1447712598095.png (1 MB, 1596x1596) Image search: [Google]
1447712598095.png
1 MB, 1596x1596
>>322293078

I don't tend to enjoy the games with the class system as much as the others. Except DQIII where the classes had low EXP rates and didn't impact the flow of the game.

Basicaly, I'd prefer set classes and roles like in DQIV and VIII. Now if they somehow were able to make a class system as hands off as DQIII, then I'd be fine with that. As well as giving you classes right at the start. Not waiting 15-30 hours before you can get them.

Now I want a game where you start right at the Dharma Temple. With the Dharma Temple being the focus of the story.
>>
File: 14397913.jpg (329 KB, 1200x1695) Image search: [Google]
14397913.jpg
329 KB, 1200x1695
>>322293627
>Now I want a game where you start right at the Dharma Temple. With the Dharma Temple being the focus of the story.
That might be interesting.
>>
>>322282049
Censored. Listening to music on a 3ds with that much compression is pointless
>>
File: DQIVDS_-_Hero-Heroine.png (111 KB, 162x478) Image search: [Google]
DQIVDS_-_Hero-Heroine.png
111 KB, 162x478
>>322293627
>Basicaly, I'd prefer set classes and roles like in DQIV and VIII

that makes sense. would make each party member unique instead of just a blank slot that you can turn into anything. that being said I like the latter more.

I hope the game flows smoothly a balance between dungeons/exploring/story

also hope we get a female version of the protagonist
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.