[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is is the bast Final Fantasy game and why is it your favorite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 17
What is is the bast Final Fantasy game and why is it your favorite one?

Hard mode: answer this without talking shit about the other games.
>>
not so fast...
>>
>>322222221
>>322222223
>>
File: tumblr_npmvh5evb21r5kw4yo1_540.png (492 KB, 540x591) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npmvh5evb21r5kw4yo1_540.png
492 KB, 540x591
XV because Prompto Argentum is C-U-T-E!!!
>>
>>322222222
>>
File: image.jpg (159 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
159 KB, 640x640
>>322244338
IX because Freya is love
>>
File: 1410821475899.jpg (59 KB, 509x411) Image search: [Google]
1410821475899.jpg
59 KB, 509x411
>Aw sheet nigga, triple Cactuar encounter
>Two of them run away before you get a turn
>>
>>322244865
gotta have first strike bro
>>
>>322244680
newfag
>>
File: I just want to kill you.gif (25 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
I just want to kill you.gif
25 KB, 550x400
None because Dragon Quest > Final Faggotry
>>
File: 2B01jU2.gif (2 MB, 360x196) Image search: [Google]
2B01jU2.gif
2 MB, 360x196
>>322244338
X has a great combat system, and when you get past some of the flaws like the VA work, it also has a good story with some great standout moments.

Also Tidus is great and nobody can convince me otherwise
>>
>>322244338

IX

also im pretty sure everyones favourite FF is the first one they ever played, even if its the worst in the series

the fact that IX is finally being released on PC with slightly updated visuals is making my cock fucking diamonds
>>
It's Master Quest
>>
>>322244338
The first one for GBA.
It's the only one I've ever beaten
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 300x240
>>322245007
I like the original models way more
>>
>>322244338

I thought that FF13, for all its flaws, was a strong modern entry.

Like, I totally understand that the hallway simulator is frustrating.

But from a gameplay as narrative point, it's brilliant. Cocoon is full of lines and queues. You're a pet. You're shuffled from one safe place to another.

Pulse is wide open and dangerous. Sure, it's inconvenient to run around from one place to the other, but it's beautiful, and you have the freedom to choose your own path.

Combat is fun. Once the game lets you choose your damn paradigms and takes the training wheels off.

And the story is really, really good. It's got a good sense of pacing, and I like the sort of back-and-forth flashback type storytelling.

Lightning should have been featured less centrally, though. The game was about Vanille, and her mustering up the courage to make the choices she does by the end of the game. Putting a bit less spotlight on Lightning would have made Snow a little less annoying, would have given more development time to Hope, instead of spending time on unflattering characterisation, and would have given us less of Snow.

It seems a shame to have spent so much time on Lightning when Vanille and Serah were the true focus of the game.
>>
File: final-fantasy-ix-garnet.jpg (62 KB, 620x415) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-ix-garnet.jpg
62 KB, 620x415
The best Final Fantasy is IX because anything after that fails to see what makes a good FF game, and Nobou said it himself that it's his favorite, so deal

Just you fucking wait when FFIX arrives to Steam, everyone's going to lay down their hate for it and praise it as best.

https://youtu.be/vSE1j2pyRCE?t=2m30s
>>
>>322244993
>before FFX
DQ=FF
>after FFX
DQ>FF
>>
FFVI because KEFKA ACTUALLY DESTROYED THE WORLD AND IS THE BEST VILLAIN EVER BECAUSE HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY REAL MOTIVATION FOR IT!!!1!

>tfw you genuinely like FFVI but hate "fans" of it who say things like this
>>
FF7 is objectively the best one because Tifa is in it
>>
>>322244338
FFVII's my favorite because it was my first game and I think the music is top-notch, there's a good amount of sidequests and minigames, I love how the characters interact and materia is fun as all hell. I think its biggest flaw is, aside from one weapon or the other and limit breaks, you can literally make every character the same.
This was the fastest way for me to break it down, pls no bully
>>
File: 1449155192951.jpg (189 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1449155192951.jpg
189 KB, 1000x750
>>322244338
I honestly really like most of the mainline FFs. Either II, V, VI, VIII or XII would be my favorites mainly because of the characters and gameplay. I don't really care about story in any, though.
>inb4 FF II
I hated it so much but then I actually gave it a decent chance and the game is actually pretty nice. Story is pretty epic, Firion is a rather capable MC and you can freely customize characters. So, yeah it's fun.
>>
>>322244338
FF tactics grimoire is my fave. 13is my fave mainline because i loved the characters and it made me cry.
>>
>>
>>322244338
the only good final fantasy is 4 heroes of light
>>
FFX

+Combat system
+Each character feels very unique and their personalities fit their classes
+Probably the most different main character out of all the Final Fantasy games (a cocky jock who is really a dream, like what the fuck? All the other FF games all feature a soldier, knight or thief as the MC)
+Beautiful world, engaging even if its presented linearly, opens up greatly at the end, and really the ending is anywhere from the 40 hour mark to the 120 hour mark. So much content people forget the open-world "endgame" is actually the majority of the game unless you just go and defeat Sin and miss all the extra stuff
+Sphere grid
+Blitzball
>>
File: 1275122825541.gif (35 KB, 996x674) Image search: [Google]
1275122825541.gif
35 KB, 996x674
After giving it some through I honestly think my favorite FF is the very first one. Why? Nowadays I'd much rather play a game that doesn't put you through an unskippable tutorials or FMV cutscenes, doesn't try to have 2derp4u story or crinceworthy romance subplots and simply let's you go on a fucking adventure with a group of adventurers YOU chose.

Also here is an unpopular opinion: I think they should have stuck with the spell charge system since it doesn't allow for the "I'm just going to cast the most powerful spell over and over again" style of gameplay like the MP based ones do.
>>
>>322247149
Played: I-VIII, X, XII, XIII, XIII-2, XIV
Finished: I, III, IV, VI, VII, XIII, XIII-2
Decent progress in: V, VIII, XIV
More than decent progress in: X
--
Made me cry tier: VI, VII
Brought me to the verge tier: X, XIII
>>
>>322247065
My nigga
FFII had a great story.
Even though the mechanics were a less than what I hoped for, I loved it
>>
>>322245679
no joke, when I started up the "remastered" version and saw Tidus and Yuna's faces I was like "who the fuck are these 2??"

Anyway FFX is my favorite just because of nostalgic purposes. When I was (I think) a freshman in highschool, my subscription to playstation magazine still came with demo discs. And one had the FFX demo on it. 2 levels that lasted about 5 minutes....and I played them over and over and over.

It was my first experience with voice acting in final fantasy and it was great to the 15 year old me. And immediately fell in love with Rikku. To this day I haven't found a more perfect female archetype.

She's strong and independent, yet at times so vunerable and weak like a mouse. Funny and charismatic, and best outfit design. Also you can break the game with her.

So TL;DR - FFX for Rikku and Nostalgia
>>
>>322247247
KILL
>>
>>322247854
You didn't finish X? Yet it almost made you cry?
Dude you need to finish that shit for the waterfalls...trust me
>>
File: No casuals allowed.png (1 KB, 176x176) Image search: [Google]
No casuals allowed.png
1 KB, 176x176
I like FF1 because you are stuck with the classes you choose at the beginning and every combination of classes gives a slightly different experience when replaying the game
I like FFII because it has a surprisingly good story and characters (for a game from its era) and in theory has the best and most logical stat gaining system in the series
I like FFIII because playing through it is a simple straightforward heroic experience and because finally beating pic related actually gives a sense of accomplishment which is absent from newer FFs
I like FFIV because its everything that was so great about the early '90s JRPGs: its cartoony, has fast based gameplay, is packed with monstrous bosses and while it has a story to tell it doesn't take it too seriously
I like FFV because I'm having shitloads of fun fooling around with its job system figuring out oddball class/support skill combinations that just work
I like FFVI because it has good balance between gameplay and focus on storytelling, is one of the rare examples of JRPGs that don't have a clearly defined main character and I for one loved the non-linear exploration in World of Ruin
I like FFVII because its a good solid game with likable characters and many unforgettable moments
I like FFVIII because I find something new about its story, setting and gameplay mechanics on every playthrough
I like FFIX because its a good attempt of combining the best of old-school and modern FFs and has some great characters and locations in it
I like FFX because its sphere grid system had a good balance between characters having their own unique skills and being able to do everything
I like FFX-2 because it has a mission based non linear story progression and having the best version of the ATB system
I like FFXII because it has DAT ASS everywhere

Hmm... I have found something I liked about all FF games I have played (even from the ones I'm not that fond of) and don't really seem to have a favorite one as I genuinely like most of them.
>>
>>322245052

First I played was 1. My favorite is 4 though.

>>322244338

I don't know if it's the best, but 4 is definitely my favorite.

>most interesting cast
>second most interesting world
>straightforwards good vs evil without needless complication and anime-ish over-humanizing
>characters different from eachother with own specialities and abilities
>cast rotation done well
>mid-game character death didn't feel contrived(I liked how Tellah didn't die for "some greater purpose" or some shit, but because he was just so fucking angry he refused to step off that road and it led him to the logical endpoint.)
>good sub-villains(I don't think anyone can argue Zeromus was good for anything other than just a blob of evil, but the ones underneath like Golbez and Rubicante were top tier.)
>acceptable amount of secrets/hidden stuff, without being so hidden you'd never find them without being told
>most satisfying ending in an FF game
>>
>>322248259
I'm overly emotional in vidya and anime. Anyhow the whole Tidus snapping part in Home/the truth about Yuna's pilgrimage (although I'd seen the sacrifice coming) was slightly heart-wrenching.
>>
VIII is my favorite because the gameplay is fast paced and you can create characters how you want. I like one melee attacker, one mage, and one support character.

Or you can turn random battles off and just use limit breaks on bosses, trivializing the entire game. Its really up to you how you wanna play.
>>
>>322248459
If you're the same guy, where'd you stop in X?
>>
>>322248459
>I'm overly emotional
Nice way for saying your a faggot
>>
FFV, of course. Bartz and 2 waifus and an old-ass senpai travelling the world is just 2comfy. The job system is great too, though that would reach its apex in FFT.

Also: FFTA2, I played ~5 hours, not really feeling it. Worth it to go on?
>>
>>322248934
>your
nice way to show your intelligence level and warning us to discard your opinion
>>
>>322244338

Best soundtrack, characters, villain, most entertaining story (didn't say best), most fun areas and even has fun mini games. I just see it as the best one in pretty much most categories.
>>
>>322248837
I'm actually playing through it for the first time (remaster), started it about a month ago. Was about to start Bevelle cloister of trials yesterday before I went away from home. Actually took a peek inside, shit looks complicated. I just want to get Yunie back ;_; I miss her healing
>>322248934
Whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>322249108
my poor grammar doesn't make you less of a queer
>>
I fucking love JRPGs.
I haven't finished a single FF game, though.
What the fuck is wrong with me?
>>
>>322249029
FFTA 2 opens up after the first few hours once you've got access to more equipment, jobs, and abilities. The beginning is absolutely shit.

The game's also kinda slow, just moving is really clunky for some reason. Original tactics is the best.
>>
>>322249348
you have good taste, probably
neo-FF is hot garbage
>>
>>322249348
Nothing. Play one already though.
>>
>>322249268
How do you homos function in the real world?
>>
VII because it's the original
>>
>>322249268
Bevelle isn't that bad, just like 1 or 2 "tricks" to the puzzle.... Best aeon from it though
Also that's like....half way, def finish if you haven't seen anything past that. Bevelle is where shit turns, and starts giving you more control
>>
File: Amazee_Dayzee.png (5 KB, 101x127) Image search: [Google]
Amazee_Dayzee.png
5 KB, 101x127
>>322244338
See you there.
>>
File: 1450847994429.jpg (174 KB, 1018x568) Image search: [Google]
1450847994429.jpg
174 KB, 1018x568
>>322244338
FF VI

Cause nostalgia and a decent story

Pic related
>>
>>322249792
Oh, I just haven't had the opportunity to continue, if possible still gonna continue tonight. I am loving this game like no tomorrow. I dislike the game being so hallway-oriented, but that aside, I liked pretty much everything the game had to offer so far.
>>
File: Zidane.jpg (78 KB, 678x568) Image search: [Google]
Zidane.jpg
78 KB, 678x568
Literally just finished playing IX.

Going to go with that, just for that perfect fucking ending alone.

Zidane is best lead.
Vivi is best everything.

'My memories will be part of the sky'
>>
>>322250337
All vivi-fags are literally faggots. 'What's the meaning of life!' 'Oh, to be happy!!!'
>>
>>322247939
I honestly underestimated II a lot. It was part of my shitty FFs list but then I warmed up to it.
It also helped that Firion was my Dissidia main
>>
For me it is XIII. I'm dead serious, you can fuck off if you're butthurt.

So anyway, I love and I mean LOVE the setting, it was a mezmerising game to me when I bought it with the money of my first job.

First off, the lore is what madz me interested at first even if, I'll say, the game does a poor job expanding on it to focus more on the characters.
FFXIII is a character driven game mostly.

Second, the cast is EASILY one of the best once their character arcs are resolved, actually having good chemistry.

Say what you will but I liked the Eidolons and absolutely loved the Eden race cutscene showing how everybody got used to their l'Cie powers.

The combat system was something new and kinda difficult to get a hold of but once you do and STRONG ennemies start appearing, you really need mix timing and chose your own commands and NOT Auto Command which, some people believe was the only option apparently. It's dynamic ane can give some very serious fights (some Boss battles, Vercingétorix, Adamantoise, etc...).
My disappointment being that we couldn't fight Titan.

And the music.. Some seriously memorable tracks spew out of this game and it helped tremendously with the atmosphere.

Before I realized it, already clocked 200 hours into this game.

I know it isn't like the other FFs and the plot is certainly not the best but the game just has a charm to it that made me love it like no other.

Also, Fang is best.
>>
>>322244338
I've never played a mainline Final Fantasy game, but I like the settings and stories they have. My only exposure to Final Fantasy is Kingdom Hearts, Bravely Default, and Theatrythym. Still, I'm a bit excited for Final Fantasy Explorers.
>>
>>322251718
I must've clocked a similar amount of hours and it's not even close to my favorite.
>>
It's FFXII for me.

It has the best combat system, streamlining the combat system without removing player input, as well as doing away with random encounters for the sake of a more natural system.

Ivalice overall is the most interesting world in the FF games and it was nice to see it during the golden age. The bestiary was the best bestiary in any video game and I always looked forward to reading what this monster is and how it's unique, as well as the little bits of lore and backstory you get in the second page that flesh out the world and talk about the monsters place in it.

The cast, bar Penelo and maybe Fran, are interesting and have well paced character arcs that don't feel forced.

The plot is interesting just by how uninvolved the players are in it. The characters are chess-pieces to me moved around by other forces but by the end they get their independence and act on their own accord to end the war. Even if that was Venat's plan all along
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.