[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Post games that are so unfair and challenging they are pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: darkest.jpg (282 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
darkest.jpg
282 KB, 1920x1080
ITT: Post games that are so unfair and challenging they are pretty much impossible

I'll start
>>
>>322242373
Heh, I won't entirely disagree with this, but in all honesty the hardest part of this game is in my opinion getting started (that is, leveling up your characters to 3 and getting them geared). Not the overall game itself.
>>
>>322242760
Started out and got wrecked in the ruins on my very first try right after the more than barebones tutorial.
>>
Find a good team that works well with how you play the game is the hardest part, I think. I struggled for a long time until I got a leper, bounty hunter, hound master and occultist. It became much easier after that and I could actually afford to go out and do things with my crew that I actually liked instead of shitty crusader highwayman grave robber vestal cheese bullshit.
>>
>>322242953
>crusader highwayman grave robber vestal cheese bullshit

And here I thought I had found a unique, powerful team
>>
File: GreatestCultistNA.jpg (343 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
GreatestCultistNA.jpg
343 KB, 1440x900
You guys are just doing it wrong
>>
File: 1424226576513.png (94 KB, 192x187) Image search: [Google]
1424226576513.png
94 KB, 192x187
>>322244005
>dat name
>>
>>322242373
>games that pretty much impossible to lose
Fixed
>>
>>322244671
>start game
>first "level"
>whole party dies

Admittedly I could have abandoned instead of going into the last room in there but still this is BS, first fucking embark
>>
>>322244932
So? Pick new 4 guys and try again. First upgrades/trinkets will make difference.
>>
>>322244932
Why do you expect to win immediately? Your first try is your weakest, so why in the world of fuck would you expect that to be the most successful?

I mean, yes, many modern games make sure you never lose, but you were aware that this is not one such game, right?

There's nothing impossible to Darkest Dungeon. You sit down, you test strategies and finally you win. People who cry about how it's apparently unfair or there's too much unfair RNG are simply bad at it and are unwilling to learn.
>>
>>322242373
So is this game shit or not?
>>
File: the sam riley.jpg (148 KB, 1164x1000) Image search: [Google]
the sam riley.jpg
148 KB, 1164x1000
>>322244179
>tfw male but named Evelynn
All life must come to an end.
>>
>>322245426
It's good and looks amazing, but it's really unfair and you are constantly in despair
>>
>>322242373
needs more content, and a male/female version for all the heroes
>>
>>322245653
>and a male/female version for all the heroes
What good would that crap do?
>>
File: gurumin-2015-10-23_00001.jpg (48 KB, 742x485) Image search: [Google]
gurumin-2015-10-23_00001.jpg
48 KB, 742x485
>>322245426
It's one of the best games I've played in years.

To put my advice in perspective, here are some of my most favourite games:
God Hand
Castlevania (the first one)
Super Ghosts 'n Goblins
Link's Awakening
Dragon Quest III
Killer7
Dark Souls
>>
>>322242373
i dont like this meme
>>
>>322242373
lol
>>
>>322245426

It's good, but the devs are in real danger of making it too difficult just for the sake of difficulty and "git gud xD" players
>>
>>322246809
I turned off corpses. Fuck that shit, why couldn't my guys just walk around the corpse
>>
>>322242373
turn on corpses, makes the game much easier.

also if you want another insanely hard unforgiving impossible game try dark souls.
>>
>>322245426
wait for an actual release.
>>
game is unfair as fuck for sure.

but I cant stop playing.

also who the fuck thought heart attacks were a good idea. fuck that
>>
>>322247003
Dark Souls is piss easy in comparison.

I've done SL1 runs.
>>
>>322242373
I love this game because of some of the shit I think up while playing. It's like free imagination fodder.
>Reynauld and Dismas are best bros
>Reynauld in recovery for last boss run vs Hag
>Dismas takes primary Vestal and two Crusader rookies on a routine Weald mission
>Collector shows up and murders everyone
>Reynauld never prays again and ends up being in the first party to kill the Collector
It's like pottery. Also, does the Collector only drop that shitty gem thing? I've fought him three times now and that's literally it.
>>
>>322247003
>corpse takes up an enemy slot, making you have to attack it to get to an enemy in the back
easier, you say...
>>
>>322247003
How exactly corpses make game easier?
>>
>>322247041
>go into ruins
>walk into some traps, keep re-using torches, eat some food and bandage up bleeding, all the usual
>read some books
>they're apparently all horror stories so my knight who read them goes insane, becomes selfish
>refuses to do what I want him to do, moves to the back of the line exposing my priestess, other times just does nothing
>highwayman guy in my group on the brink of death, keep healing him but enemies keep going for him too
>run out of torches, it gets dark
>everyone getting low, can only heal so much so eventually the whole party is about one hit from death
>priestess suddenly has a heart attack

fucking game
>>
>>322247115
>Knock corpse to back
>Ranged enemy can't do jack
>>
>>322247292
>/v/ told me to burn the books for guaranteed good effects
>Heart attack on Reynauld
T-thanks
>>
>>322247051
No, its random. He can drop one of three heads or gem(more common loot).
>>
>>322247292
sounds like you should've abandoned the quest f-a-m
>>
File: 4xTpju3.gif (373 KB, 285x481) Image search: [Google]
4xTpju3.gif
373 KB, 285x481
I want to grope plague doc.
>>
My only problem I'm running into is preparing my level 3+s for their dungeons. I can't get enough papers to upgrade the blacksmith so they don't get wrecked / can actually hit with above 65% accuracy.

Back to grinding for papers.
>>
>>322248141
I upgraded blacksmith to the max, but can't afford these weapons and armor(4k+4k for each lvl5 character).
>>
>>322242373
you do know that this game is TEN TIMES EASIER than what it was during alpha right?

git gud casual
>>
>>322248329
Actually they've only been making it harder
>>
>>322242760
From what I've seen, I should start with upgrading my wagon until I can pretty much rotate in a new squad of fodder every week for a new dungeon dive. Right? And the tavern bar alongside this for good measure.

The question is, what should I get upgraded next? Skills or equipment?
>>
File: 3.jpg (988 KB, 1700x1000) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
988 KB, 1700x1000
I play a lot of hard games on their max difficulty, mainly FPS.

I think the hardest "fair" FPS I've beat is Hard Reset on Insane difficulty. One part took me several hours to get past, I had to memorize the movement pattern to win and abuse some of the splash damage weapons. That game is notorious for being difficult and I think the reputation is fair, it really is a ballbreaker on the max difficulty.

The classic Serious Sams have a difficulty called Mental that makes the enemies invisible. I don't really consider that fair though because the trick to progressing is just to memorize the spawns.

I lowered the difficulty on Kingpin, it was playable on the max difficulty but not fun at all, because the enemies just hitscan kill you immediately unless you abuse line of sight and savescum hardcore.

I was a pretty hardcore raider for a couple years. For a time WoW had a raid boss that was legitimately impossible to kill. They released C'thun (AQ40 final boss) without killing him in testing figuring players would just "figure it out." Well no one got it, after probably thousands of hours wasted on attempts by the best guilds it was determined the boss was impossible. Blizz eventually released a patch that made him killable.

Four Horsemen in vanilla was "almost impossible" for some time, it was do-able with a very specific setup that no guild would reasonably have (eight tanks decked out in T3.) Of course that was totally unrealistic so they tuned that fight to make it reasonable.
>>
>>322247003
>dark souls
funny guy, but on a series note, is there a harder Turn Based Strategy game than Days or Ruin? you finish those missions by the skin of your teeth in the best possible outcomes
>>
>>322242373

Literally and figuratively acquire skills
>>
>>322245478
>Le Samourai
Fuck, what a great film. Still think they should've gone with the "smiling ending".
>>
XCOM: EW Long War mod on impossible ironman.
>>
>>322248469
Equipment every time, most skills scale like garbage, thats probably the game's biggest weakness at this point.

On the flip side, equipment scales like crazy, with lvl 3 gear pretty much letting you wreck face in Tier 1 dungeons every time. IIRC fucking graverobbers with lvl 3 armor have a base dodge of like 35.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.