[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If a video game you pirated turned out to be really good and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 1431271258482.jpg (513 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1431271258482.jpg
513 KB, 1280x960
If a video game you pirated turned out to be really good and reasonably priced by the developer, but game was released under a free (as in freedom) software license, which basically makes "pirating" it legal, would you purchase it afterwards?
>>
Yes. Whether its legal to pirate or not doesnt make any difference.
>>
Game is good, buy it
Game isn't good, don't buy it
>>
>>322241246
No, I would pirate it and then later bitch about any change in the series direction as though my opinion as a non-paying customer mattered at all, completely failing to see how retarded I am.
>>
If it's GPL, no. Supporting cancer is supporting cancer.
>>
File: 1394569269740.png (28 KB, 129x131) Image search: [Google]
1394569269740.png
28 KB, 129x131
>>322243713
>>
No. But I'd keep the developer in mind for future games they release, and if they're on the same scale as the free software license one, I'd purchase it
>>
>>322244232
Suppose that game were also licensed the same?
>>
>>322241246
No. It's very unlikely I would pirate a game that is easily purchased unless it is really old, and I don't really care at that point about purchasing it to vote for it with my money or something. If its an indie developer and I care about the developer then I would have paid from the start.

But your scenario is more like "the game is freeware, but with a suggested price". Fucking programmers and their open source definitions, as far as I'm concerned a free software license is freeware when it comes to video games. I wouldn't pay the suggested price since the idea is such a terrible business model. Describing this idea as going against the tides of economics would be like saying a man swimming around the globe is going against the tides of the Pacific.
>>
>>322246403
Edit: to add some examples about freeware purchase: I never paid for Spelunky and I never paid for Cave Story until I got it in a 1 dollar bundle with something else I wanted. Both are excellent though even in their freeware incarnations, and would be well worth a full retail price.

I've bought every Touhou game I've owned though. One man developer who makes a game that was mind blowing the first time I played it = I care enough to support the developer. If the first game I heard about didn't have a free demo though I probably wouldn't have bothered though.
>>
>>322241246
>but game was released under a free (as in freedom) software license, which basically makes "pirating" it legal

That's not what this means. Free like free speech, not free beer.
>>
>>322241246
What fat dirty faggot. Needs a shower, haircut and shave.
>>
>>322241246
Nope. Instead I would make a worse version that looks exactly the same and make sure to ruin the programmer's reputation
>>
Yeah.

I buy physical versions of comics I've read online frequently.
>>
>>322248134
The freedom to make copies and give them to as many people as you like is guaranteed in free software. This means you can legally torrent it without fear of the developers/publishers suing you.
>>
>>322249250
Too bad you have to clearly advertise your version as edited for this exact reason
>>
>>322249496
That's not the same as pirating the game. I can download and share the doom 3 source code but I can't distribute the assets that you'd need to play the game. This is why open arena exists.
>>
>>322249580
>implying like I give a fuck
I already said I will ruin their reputation, why would I care about the rules of distribution.
>>
>>322249807
Why do you think "pirating" is in quotes?
>>
>>322249939
If you didn't care, why would you only do it to a free software game? You could do it to any game, free or proprietary (and this does happen, though with the goal of expanding a bitcoin mining botnet instead of ruining a reputation)
>>
>>322241246
If i really liked it? Yes.
>>
>>322250164
Proprietary like you said you can only do so much with. Anyone who wants to go legit would buy it from official sources and to pirate it you have comments that would alert people

For free software you can easily mimic the original developer. ICANN allows for non-latin characters now
>>
>>322241246
Yes. I have done this with every game I have purchased in the last 2 years.
>>
Yes I've given money to a couple ftp games just out of appreciation for how good I think the game is
>>
>>322249027
He practices good hygiene techniques.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I25UeVXrEHQ
>>322241246
Probably not. If they're giving it away, why would I? If someone invites you over for a beer, do you then buy it from him once you've drunk it?
>>
>>322250893
Good luck forging a GPG signature.
>>
>>322251110
They're not giving it away, the people who bought it are
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.