[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MGR: R
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15
People who liked MGR: R, tell me what you liked about it. More specifically, tell me what you liked about the gameplay.
>>
File: baby-grinch.jpg (50 KB, 500x671) Image search: [Google]
baby-grinch.jpg
50 KB, 500x671
>>322232881
We never did. It was just a console exclusive that we held over the heads of PKeks and pretended it was good. We never expected it to get a PC port, so we immediately assumed damage control mode, and we blamed all the memes on them "ruining the fanbase."

Source: I was one of them. I was the one who made RULES OF NATURE a thing on /v/. Well before it had a PC version.
>>
File: MGSvsTPPcharacters.png (1 MB, 1043x901) Image search: [Google]
MGSvsTPPcharacters.png
1 MB, 1043x901
>>322232881
>>
>>322233259
>We
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>322233259
It seemed to generate a lot of hype though.

>>322233339
I'll agree that meme man and college ball guy are fairly memorable for their absurdity, but I didn't feel as though I got attached to anyone or cared too much about them given the story is so short. These guys would show up, you'd beat them and there wouldn't be much about who they were or why they were doing stuff.
>>
>>322233339
Shit post is shit.
>>
>>322232881
It feels extremely good. Parrying is fun. The moveset is fucking radical. Zandatsus are satisfying every single time. Blade mode is very cool and unique. Ninja running is beautiful and, again, feels fantastic.
>>
>>322233339
Monsoon is only memorable because /v/ is filled with 12 year olds.
>>
>>322232881
The bosses were hilariously fun
The combat was satisfying and fast
The OST helped the combat significantly
I had more fun with MGR than Bayonetta but I recognize Bayonetta as the better game
>>
>>322233520
>not using your codec during boss fights to learn who they were or why they were doing stuff.
Do you even metal gear?
>>
The bossfights, music, and aesthetic are nice
But the combat, level design, and everything else is shit
>>
>>322232881
It's a very simple game for cuhrayzee standards but it's also extremely polished. Fantastic usage of soundtrack.
>>
It's writing is somehow worst than the main games

Armstrong is literally "Solidus but fucking retarded" yet he's more popular than Solidus now because of memes and music

And the gameplay is mediocre by Platinums standards
>>
>>322233621
It seems that you enjoyed the game in all the areas where I felt it was lacking. I'll give you ninja run, it was cool and worked well.
I thought that parrying was dull and on a similar level to arkham/AC combat given that you can see the attacks coming and just parry because it'll stop you getting hit. Aside from that I found dodge and escape actions to be lacking unless I was using offensive defense to dodge a grab.
The novelty of zandatsus and blade mode quickly wore off for me but I agree that if it had been implemented better (more stuff like Sundowner's shield) then it could have been great.
I found the moveset lacking in comparison with other hack and slash games which give you more weapons and allow you to switch out on the fly. I never felt like I could express myself with Raiden's moveset.
>>
>>322233751
I've never really done too much of that in metal gear but in this one it felt even less relevant due to its action nature.
>>
>>322232881
I liked the blocking system that forced you into an offensive mindset to block. I liked the various combos you could pull. I liked the variety of enemies that required actually shifting up strategy from foe to foe to defeat. I liked all the challenge objectives and secret collectibles that extended the replayability. I liked that you had access to multiple weapons that had different feels to them. I liked that you also had multiple options for what to use as your main sword. I liked the silly costumes you could get. I liked that the boss battles were varied, with unique mechanics on each of them.
>>
Same button to block and attack. Made the fight against monsoon a real blast. Also fantastic soundtrack that perfectly matches the visuals on screen as well as your input. Gives an amazing sense of synesthesia.

WASH AWAY THE ANGER!
>>
File: tumblr_static_shaqshead.jpg (245 KB, 923x1382) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_static_shaqshead.jpg
245 KB, 923x1382
>amazing soundtrack that kicks in to Hyper mode when at the end of a bossfight
>cool characters
>solid gameplay
>cutting shit in thousands pieces
>over the top stupid story
I think it's a fine fine game
>>
>>322233923
>playing platinum games for the story
McFucking kill yourself my man.
>>
>>322234003
Your complaints are fair -- the game is very lacking in content, but I'm willing to forgive that since they only had like one year to develop it.
>>
>>322234221
Did you read the part about the gameplay
>>
>>322234323
Well thats just like your opinion, man.
>>
>>322233923
>It's writing is somehow worst than the main games
What main games? MGR is the first of its kind.

>Armstrong is literally "Solidus but fucking retarded" yet he's more popular than Solidus now because of memes and music
He's probably the only Platinum games villain that makes some sense.

>And the gameplay is mediocre by Platinums standards
It definitely isn't up to bayonetta standards. But considering its still way above other character action like God of War in terms of mechanics and combo potential, I can forgive it.
>>
Level design is shit, just an empty straight run to a boss fight, except for the level from the demo which at least had the chopper fight too.
Short as shit and full of the same weightless and unsatisfying platinum gameplay we all know and love :) Only this time with a useless slow mo cutting mechanic, slow mo is cool right?!
>>
>>322232881
the fluid combat. it felt like i was wielding city-block-destroying powers.
>>
It had many flaws and is pretty mediocre compared to other Japanese hack'n'slash, but it still was a fun ride.

Wouldn't mind a sequel.
>>
>>322234139
I found that I fought all of the enemies in the same way since you could block most attacks with the parry anyway. Might have done it differently if there had been on the fly weapon switching but opening the menu just felt like it was breaking up the combat and you had to be still to do it.
I thought that it was cool that you could cut off limbs and stuff to cripple enemies, that was cool for the big ones like the gekkos and those things with the purple EMPs.
>>
>>322235076
I didn't really.
>>
It was fast paced and fun, no other game let me slice people up and go chruaazzy on them like MGRR.

And the fucking OST and characters are top.
>>
>>322233923
>Everything is memes
What are you trying to prove by making it clear that you cannot articulate your feelings without resorting to words completely inappropriate to what you're describing?
>>
>>322234206
>tumble
>>
>>322234221
While I understand where you're coming form, the plot in this game is ridiculous. If you're making a game and you know the story is gonna be shit the least you could do is not make it get in the way of the game, which it does, and it's awful.

To be fair it had a great start, questioning Raiden's killer tendencies, the dialogues with Sam on that stage and stuff, but the second Monsoon shows up and Raiden goes full edge mode everything turns to absolute shit.

That said the gameplay was also really lacking.
>>
Alright, so I got MGR for PC a while back, and UI remember people saying that parrying is the key to beating Bladewolf. What I didn't know was that the ascending beeping from his theme (at around 5 seconds in) was actually part of his theme, and not an audible telegraph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RlSgnpLbro

Considering how vicious he is and how he's quite unlike anything you fought at this point, I assumed Platinum gave him that robotic beeping sound as a telegraph. The music significantly threw me off as a result.
>>
>>322232881
>the gameplay

It wasn't really any special.
What made the game good was the characters and boss fights.
The OST helped a lot too.
>>
>>322234003
The parry is really powerful but it's still better than batman because you at least need to react to where the enemy is, it's not just a one button knock out unless you do the perfect parry, i still prefer to use offensive defense more than a parry because it feels more "aggressive" and faster i also suck at perfect parries so it gives me more opportunities to attack.

Blade mode is used pretty well in my opinion because it's not over used on normal enemies, you basically use it just for zandatsus and arms iirc, if normal enemies had stuff like Sundowner it would be really annoying because it would have the same problem DmC had with color coded enemies, it would stop you momentum in battles just to do a "minigame" to remove the enemy shield. I don't see a problem with them using it on bosses/mini bosses because it's usually a one on one battle so it doesn't distract you from anything since it's the only thing to focus anyway.

Agree on moveset and weapons.
>>
>>322236725

They did give you a cue. He literally tells you what to do before initiating an attack.
>>
>>322236841
I know that, I just thought the beeping was another cue. It sounds like his electronics firing up.
>>
>>322234834
>What main games? MGR is the first of its kind.
The game is part of the metal gear series, a spin-off.
>>
>>322236725
Blade Wolf is only hard because the game does a terrible job at teaching you how to play.

Every enemy lets out a red light when they're going to attack, just mash square and parry when the light comes up, counter with Zandatsu if you want. If the light is yellow, run away. That's all there is to this game.

That song is killer though
>>
>>322236623
Raiden going full edge was the best part of the game and is loads better than having Raiden struggle with being a killer.
>>
File: MogFuckingIdiot.png (150 KB, 309x321) Image search: [Google]
MogFuckingIdiot.png
150 KB, 309x321
>>322237051
>run away
>not defensive-Offensive through it with iframes

why
>>
>>322237094
No, it was dumb and shat on everything he had going on the past games
>>
>>322237230
Perhaps it is you who is dumb.
>>
>>322232881
Had incredible bosses.

That's about it.
>>
>>322235762
sux2bu i guess :3
>>
File: 1076864_581105799_909110137_n.jpg (7 KB, 180x224) Image search: [Google]
1076864_581105799_909110137_n.jpg
7 KB, 180x224
The story although it's grim and serious, is not taking itself as such, making it the most bearable Metal Gear story of them all. It's over the top as any other Metal Gear, but embraces the silliness of the sci fi it always bear, and even so, grounds it more than main line MGS.

Kojima is a bad writer. He has the vision, but he struggles to make it work on a coherent level. MGRR is actually working within MGS world without going corny. It's just bananas fun, which, in other MGS games, they expect you to take seriously and cry about VOCAL CHORD PARASITES and somehow they give super fucking powers.

The characters are so well written. They're charming as fuck. Raiden is badass, but so is everyone else. They could have their own spinoffs and you would be ok with that.

The soundtrack fits the ambience of the game so fucking well, it can't be separated from the final product. The gameplay is solid enough to invest replayability out of the ass.

And Armstrong as the fial boss is the best this decade.

For all purposes, it's almost a super sentai videogame with TOOLS OF JUSTICE and it's fucking awesome.
>>
>>322237051
>Blade Wolf is only hard because the game does a terrible job at teaching you how to play.

THANK YOU. Every enemy in this game, even the bosses, can be beaten by just mashing at them with the sword until that point. Hell, even the actual boss of the stage, Mistral, can be beaten "the same old way".

And the game's tutorial on parrying is very poor at best, it just tells you "hey you can parry and then zandatsu." It doesn't give you an exercise, like do 10 perfect parries without getting hit in order for you to understand how it works.
>>
>>322237051
>>322237557
if you buy that move where you double tap forward and hit light attack you can run through the game in seconds just doing that.

that move is ridiculously strong and you parry at the same time because of how the moves done
>>
File: william dafoe animated.gif (2 MB, 350x300) Image search: [Google]
william dafoe animated.gif
2 MB, 350x300
>People can't parry in this game

I've read about people like you, heard about people like you, but never believed someone would have a hard time playing a videogame like this on the go.

I wonder how you open cans, or take out the thrash, or talk to strangers.

Your life must be like an infomercial skit of the clumsy people fumbling around with the control upside down trying to turn a DVD player on.
>>
>>322237517
>The characters are so well written. They're charming as fuck. Raiden is badass, but so is everyone else. They could have their own spinoffs and you would be ok with that.

Sam and Wolf are literally the only bearable characters in that game. Everyone else is either really annoying, really boring, or didn't get enough screen time to develop and show they're interesting.

>>322237335
You sure got me.
>>
File: sundowner.jpg (27 KB, 506x284) Image search: [Google]
sundowner.jpg
27 KB, 506x284
>>322238072
That's like, your opinion, man.
>>
File: 1438000121711.gif (2 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1438000121711.gif
2 MB, 400x300
>>322237051

>Blade Wolf is only hard because the game does a terrible job at teaching you how to play.

I want this meme to die so fucking badly. The only truth to this statement comes from ( what I've heard ) the lack of a proper tutorial on the console versions. I only played the PC version, but apparently the console versions lacked any tutorial from what people have told me.

Even then though, during the first couple of fights the game displays on-screen prompts during combat telling you how to parry. If you decide to be retarded and knowingly ignore these instructions, you can't blame the game for your piss-poor attitude. Guess what, some games require you to pay attention and learn a couple of things instead of you mindlessly mashing buttons. And no, the game DOES explain parrying - several fucking times. It is not left "purposefully obscure" or any other bullshit you people come up with. Not to mention that parrying is piss-easy, and can often be done even on accident and with a generous window too.

Same thing goes for the upgrade menu. I've actually met someone who apparently played through the whole game without buying any upgrades, and I've seen many more people complain about this online as well. Again, what the fuck is wrong with you? After every single mission the game stops and asks you to "Customize Raiden's Body?". It's even left on "yes" by default. You have to actually perform conscious, extra effort to avoid the menu. Even if you were a mindless, raving idiotic drone that I suspect most of these people actually are, just mashing the confirm button will take you to this fucking menu. Then people don't even take a look at the moves list, complain "offensive defensive" is a vague name, the inputs are weird - like for fuck sake, if this game and it's parrying / dodging mechanics were too difficult to comprehend for you, you should literally decide to fucking kill yourself, you fucking worthless steaming piles of shit, cunts
>>
File: jetstream sam.png (761 KB, 850x463) Image search: [Google]
jetstream sam.png
761 KB, 850x463
This game is the only one in years to make me unconciously smile awhile playing all the way.

When Rules of Nature lyrics came in on the GRAD fight i let out a hard chuckle. The game is just too fucking good. Everything is hilarious.
>>
File: 1448233181952.jpg (2 MB, 672x4832) Image search: [Google]
1448233181952.jpg
2 MB, 672x4832
THE TIME

HAS COME TO AND END
>>
the games pretty easy with raiden, sams is a bit harder because enemies are way more aggressive. with raiden you can just spam parry and win
>>
>>322238397
The Dreamworks smile that all the winds of destruction guys had was hilarious
>>
People in this thread never played the game in REVENGEANCE difficulty, which was the way it was meant to be played.

>Mash parry

I don't think you mean what you think you mean but it's not what it is or do what you think it does cuz it doesn't do it so
>>
>>322238954
It's a Platinum trademark, the smug as fuck smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngf7jI_EwSo

This is the best OST
>>
It's fun to cut shit in a million tiny pieces
>>
>>322239030
i played it on revengeance i died a couple times to bosses but if you just mash parry at the right time you can kill them in seconds because of the damage boost of the counter attack on the difficulty.
>>
>>322232881
Pros:
>Fun, over-the-top combat
>Blade mode is an interesting and fun mechanic
>Coupling blade mode with Zandatsus is satisfying
>Fun boss fights that actually function the way boss fights are supposed to in that they are a test of your mastery of the game mechanics
>Game acknowledges and embraces how ridiculous and edgy it is, and doesn't take itself too seriously
>Codecs
>Soundtrack that fits the game well
>Graphics look great
>Armstrong was a great character and an even better final boss

Cons:
>Too easy to button mash and win
>Way too short
>Not enough level or enemy variety

8/10 for me. Still hoping for a sequel that is longer and adds more depth to the combat
>>
What are all the platinum games I need to play? This game convinced me to try their other things.
>>
>>322239458
Bayonetta 2 & W101

Everything else is shit and these games are on the best console (Wii U)
>>
>>322239458

>>322239520 is post is bait

Play Bayonetta 1 too
>>
File: 1450272411960.png (3 KB, 448x357) Image search: [Google]
1450272411960.png
3 KB, 448x357
The pincers felt powerful as fuck and the sais were great to take out flying enemies, which usually suck the most in action games.
>>
>>322233259
Nice. I invented the popular "doge" meme back in 2009
>>
It appeals to 12 year olds with its edgy characters and edgy CRAWLING IN MY SKIN soundtrack.

The gameplay itself is shallow and piss-poor
>>
I got sucked into this game like I was a kid again. It has its flaws, like the overall length is pretty short and some of the controls outside of combat are pretty clunky (using grenades or RPGs was always rage-inducing for me) but the game itself was just so fucking fun. The way the music flowed with the combat and how everything was so over the top. I loved it. Easily one of my favorite games of the decade.
>>
>>322232881
I loved how edgy it was.

Edge is love, edge is life.

Free will is a myth, religion is a joke.

>More specifically, tell me what you liked about the gameplay.

Slicing and destroying shit in the most edgy way possible.
>>
File: file.png (297 KB, 481x405) Image search: [Google]
file.png
297 KB, 481x405
>PC ports only has 5 resolutions
>capped at 1080p
>durante showcased a "hack" that allowed 4k
>decides not to release it because "Platinum will patch it in, guys :^)"
>never been patched in
>all he does is fix issues no one cared about in games no one cares about and apologizing for piss poor Japanese PC ports

you had one job you fucking super duper ultra turbo hyper mega ultima weeb.
>>
>>322232881
it's fun
>>
File: 2014-01-11_00010.jpg (121 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2014-01-11_00010.jpg
121 KB, 1280x720
>>322232881
i liked tits mcgee
>>
>>322233259
Oh yeah, I created Le Grinchy Face. You owe me 25 dollars in royalties. Also my dad works for Hiro and he's going to get you banned
>>
>>322236497
>y-yuh-your picture is from that one place
>t-that invalidates your post hahahah I win
>>
File: bardem_chigurh.jpg (32 KB, 550x311) Image search: [Google]
bardem_chigurh.jpg
32 KB, 550x311
>>322233339
Were monsoon and sundowner really all that great? They pretty much just copy paste shit old villains already said. Heck even sam was like "lol u enjoy killin dun u raiden"

Blade wolf is the best character in mgs so far though next to mgs1 solid snake
>>
>>322238336
the console version does have a playable tutorial that tells you how to parry. Maybe this was added in a patch.

So either it was a patch or People are fucking retarded and skipped the tutorial
>>
Didn't MGR have Japan exclusive DLC where you could find a wooden sword with Snake's spirit in it?
>>
>>322238336
>Same thing goes for the upgrade menu. I've actually met someone who apparently played through the whole game without buying any upgrades
FUCK. I am one of those guys. I got the parrying thing sorted out and even got to buy new stuff like offensive-defensive but never got around upgrading my shit just the sword though and I was wondering why it took so long to kill the enemies.
>>
>>322237051
>If the light is yellow, run away.
use offensive defense*
>>
I liked it because it helped me get through the first few weeks of a breakup. It felt good to go batshit insane on stuff. Not that it stopped me from doing the same in real life.
>>
>>322241057
I think its unlockable, not a dlc. Dont quite remember
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.