[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Source: At Least 2 Sonic Team Titles Intended for 2016
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 18
File: sonic25thanniversarylogo.jpg (117 KB, 1140x641) Image search: [Google]
sonic25thanniversarylogo.jpg
117 KB, 1140x641
http://www.tssznews.com/2015/12/30/source-at-least-2-sonic-team-titles-intended-for-2016/

>It’s pretty clear that with Sonic’s silver anniversary knocking on our doorstep, Sega has some big plans. We already know of two Sonic related games in the pipeline for early in 2016: The Nintendo and arcade exclusive Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games that will begin rolling out in February, and the delayed Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice. It’s a given those two will not be the anniversary game–a source tells TSSZ that game is indeed coming.

>The source indicates it’s been in development for a while–since before the release of Sonic Lost World, the source says. That shouldn’t be a huge surprise. But here’s the twist: Our source says it was also meant to be released a while back–before Lost World‘s release, as it turns out. Technical hang-ups with last-gen systems shelved some ambitious ideas with the project, the source said. On the plus side, that would put the game’s development time at least at three years, if not four. As the title is now planned for XBOX One and Playstation 4 (our source did not indicate whether a Wii U or 3DS release was coming), we will see how many of those issues were overcome. Our source says there are positive feelings internally at Sega over the anniversary title’s quality–then again, the source cautioned that same feeling surrounded Sonic Lost World; it had high expectations but ultimately saw mediocre reviews and even worse sales.
>>
File: sonic25thanniversarystatue.jpg (85 KB, 960x679) Image search: [Google]
sonic25thanniversarystatue.jpg
85 KB, 960x679
>>322218140

>About Lost World, there was some surprise in the community when a PC port of the once WiiU exclusive was announced and delivered this year. Our source says that effort was spearheaded by Sega Europe, who saw it as an easy opportunity to make money with minimal porting effort. Lost World may be the first of a larger effort to bring more Sonic and Sega titles to PC and principally the Steam platform through 2016. Our source believes several items are in the pipeline and we’ll talk a bit about that tomorrow, but Sonic-wise, the source believes Sonic Colors is a higher priority for porting. Sonic Heroes, which did receive a physical PC release in 2004, is low-priority, and Sonic Unleashed is the subject of internal debate on whether it should be considered for Steam at all.

>If that’s not enough Sonic appetite, our source says a second Sonic Team title may be in the works for next year. We want to be clear that just because it’s a Sonic Team project, that may not necessarily mean it’s a Sonic game. Our source also indicated it would be smaller in scale. We asked if that meant a mobile game was planned, but the source could not say. The source did note Sega of America now has greater influence in Sonic games, so any second Sonic Team title, if it’s Sonic, could be promoted as a bigger deal than it may end up being. Think of how Sonic 4 was promoted years back by SOA as a proper successor to classic Sonic–it turns out, according to our source, that the SOJ side only intended it a simple mobile platformer–and not the spurious rhetoric injected into many fans’ minds before major leaks revealed some ugly truths.

>With all that mind, it’s a safe bet to expect at least 3-4 new Sonic releases in 2016. Surely one has to work out, right?
>>
>>322218168

">If that’s not enough Sonic appetite, our source says a second Sonic Team title may be in the works for next year. We want to be clear that just because it’s a Sonic Team project, that may not necessarily mean it’s a Sonic game. Our source also indicated it would be smaller in scale."

It's NiGHTS. The 20th Anniversary is this year.
>>
File: 1441145515579.png (79 KB, 291x343) Image search: [Google]
1441145515579.png
79 KB, 291x343
>>322218168

>Sonic Heroes, which did receive a physical PC release in 2004, is low-priority
>>
>>322218168
I'd rather Sega Europe port games which aren't Sonic to PC, frankly. They've got a million great franchises to choose from yet they're porting games which weren't overly well received instead.
>>
>>322218524

It's also Puyo Puyo's 25th
>>
>>322218853

It is objectively the worst non-broken sonic game, and calling it non-broken is being generous considering how poor the physics are
>>
>>322218168
>sonic shittors is high priority
>unleashed, with its full use of the hedgehog engine and audio design, is up for debate

I would buy 2 copies of a steam port of unleashed. Please dont make it fucking colors...that game is overrated shit. Everything beyond act 2 sucks
>>
>>322219702

Sonic Heroes was bad.

Shadow the Hedgehog was pretty much the same except for edginess which makes it worse.
>>
>>322219850

Having played both back to back, I found that Shadow was actually made an effort to improve what made Heroes shit. The physics were significantly better, there was none of that bullshit character swapping, and the enemies with health bars actually had a justified existence because of the guns. It's a thoroughly mediocre game and it has its share of flaws, but it is no doubt a better game
>>
This makes me slightly worried. If the anniversary game was meant to be out BEFORE Lost World then it means it's not really an anniversary game; it's just a game that happens to come out on the year of the anniversary.

Also the comments about it being "too ambitious" for last gen; what the fuck are they trying to do? Just give us a 2D Sonic with proper physics and good level design! The fucking Mega Drive could handle it, I don't know why a PS3 couldn't.
>>
>>322220004
Just because the physics were a little better doesnt mean everything else was. Shadow fucking sucked and there was tons of thrown in ideas, similar to SA1 and sonic 2006 that never got fully developed. Heroes was mixed but at least it played the same from the start to the end and there was no stupid puzzles and other shit slowing things down

Putting shadow above heroes is beyond retardation
>>
>>322220114
Hedgehog engine

They had to reduce it to make generations ps3/360 more stable. They want the power of the next gen consoles to bring it back to unleashed levels, maybe better even
>>
>>322218140
I seriously hope they make a sequel to Generations.

>>322218853
A remake would be better to be honest, the game itself it's trash, but it would be much better with improved controls and level design.
>>
>>322218140
>Still acting like Sonic is relevant
I really hope you guys don't do this
>>
>>322220184

There weren't 'tons of ideas', with a few rare exceptions most level objectives followed one of about 3/4 different formats (reach the end, kill x enemies, collect x things, shoot down a thing)

It doesn't matter if it played the same from start to finish when that 'same' was objectively bad design with things like multi hit enemies which required slow and repetitive attacks to defeat, roadblocks where you have to kill all enemies before the game would let you progress, 'realistic' bullets that take off one ring at a time, aka basically everything about sonic 06 that was bad that wasn't directly related to things being unfinished
>>
>>322220184
Shadow was technically competent but had really shit mission objectives that were half-baked. Heroes was a technical mess of glitches and enemies who had far too much health.

I'm not sure which game is better, they're both pretty bad and unfun to play. All I can say is that they're both better than Sonic 06 at least.
>>
>>322220685
>xD sonics always bad lmao!

>>322220690
>>322220717
Ill give you more technical competent. But thats really about it. Heroes still had the goal of playing like a sonic game, where shadow did this weird shit with making you choose sides and do different missions in a level...felt like a linear gta or some bullshit. The key to heroes is making sure your power guy is level 3, then the flying guy, then the speed one. Lvl3 power dude 1-2 shots everything. Those big guys with the hammers and shit, you use the team blast on them and thats it. I can think of bigger problems with heroes and the fighting definitely is not one of them since its so fast and easy to get into
>>
I just want Adventure 3.
Please.
>>
>>322220962
>Heroes still had the goal of playing like a sonic game, where shadow did this weird shit with making you choose sides and do different missions in a level...felt like a linear gta or some bullshit.

So let me get this straight, you think Shadow is inherently bad because it's different?
>>
>>322218890
sonic is the only thing they have that they're willing to market
>>
>>322221128
That was what Sonic 06 was. And even Sega make fun of how bad that game ended up.

>>322221140
Not him, but Shadow itself was poorly designed with competent execution. Compare that to Heroes which had a good concept and a good design but pisspoor execution.
>>
>>322218168
>>322218140
>source allegedly has all this info
>is flaky as fuck on the details

Every time.
>>
>>322218168
>Sonic Heroes, which did receive a physical PC release in 2004, is low-priority

Why? I don't get it. Doesn't the PC version still work with modern operating systems? What's the obstacle preventing them from releasing it on Steam and other DD clients?
>>
>>322221140
Yes i do. Its not as if it was an alternate gameplay like the adventure games or unleashed. The game was straight up designed to have rpg elements, missions, tons of endings, open level design to accomodate these missions, strange objectives, and other dumb shit that have no place in a sonic game.

I think id honestly put 06 above shadow since they scrapped that shit and went back to just straight up clearing levels as fast as you can
>>
>>322221270
I just want a good Adventure 4.
Please.
>>
anyone else here love sonic?
>>
>>322221270
>good design

Highly contentious considering the unjustified focus on combat, going so far as to block progression until you clear all enemies in an area
>>
>>322221128
And I want people like you to leave.
>>
>>322221305

So you're autistic, got it
>>
>>322221559
It wouldn't be so bad if the enemies weren't damage sponges.

Then you've got Sonic 06, which combined the technical mess of Heroes with the bad design of Shadow (billiards puzzle, anyone?)
>>
File: 1409430685779.jpg (81 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1409430685779.jpg
81 KB, 500x500
>>322221310
Unleashed's JP name is World Adventure
dere u go
>>
File: 1287185393363.jpg (3 KB, 126x106) Image search: [Google]
1287185393363.jpg
3 KB, 126x106
>>322221626
I dont know what that has to do with my post but i guess buzzword memes make you the victor
>>
>>322221626
for fucks sake its not """autistic""" to be passionate about sonic!
>>
File: sonic.png (56 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
sonic.png
56 KB, 150x150
>>
>>322221726

The fact that you will criticise a game for being different regardles of its objective technical aspects is akin to how autistic people cannot handle change

Yes or no, do you have autism?
>>
>>322221893
If im autistic then youre straight up retarded. Who gives a fuck if its technically better when the game part of it is shit. People who hate on sonic go overboard on the complaints and find anything they can to nitpick, that alone is more autistic than somehow preferring heroes to the shitfest that shadow is
>>
>>322222059
>Yes or no, do you have autism?

I'm waiting for an answer
>>
File: NiGHTSdash.jpg (156 KB, 681x687) Image search: [Google]
NiGHTSdash.jpg
156 KB, 681x687
>>322218524

>It's NiGHTS

Don't get my hopes up, you asshole
>>
File: oler.jpg (105 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
oler.jpg
105 KB, 768x1024
>>322221893
The fact that you think that people's opinions should not be valid if they are autistic is proof that nothing you say should be taken seriously, as you are just a meme-spouting child with no capacity for thought.

Pic related is me, I have self-diagnosed autism, and my opinions are no less valid than anyone elses, some people just don't like unnecessary change that doesn't fit the sonic franchise.

Don't even bother replying, I know you'll just meme me out again.
>>
>>322221294
Just pirate or buy physical you cuck. Stop worshipping that piece of shit gaben, you faggot.
>>
>>322222172
No but since youre so focused on autism instead of talking about the games, it could be you thats autistic instead
>>
Take the best of Unleashed and make a nice open hub-world.

Done.
>>
>>322222348
been done

moddb.com/mods/sonic-generations-unleashed-project/news/sonic-generations-unleashed-project-10-released
>>
File: spagonia-5[1].png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
spagonia-5[1].png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>322222348
But all of unleashed is the best and open world hubs are trash
>>
>>322218168
So there's two more failures on the way where Sega continues to burn their franchise into the ground while deciding not to localize worthwhile profitable ventures?
>>
>>322222472
>tfw it'll never be finished
>>
>>322222480
Not a fucking JRPG hub world, think Banjo-Kazooie but faster and larger.
>>
File: unleasheddev098[1].jpg (146 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
unleasheddev098[1].jpg
146 KB, 1280x720
>>322222608
But whats the purpose of a shitty open world hub? Unleashed handle it the best, small contained areas with TONS of personality and then a small mission based hub that had the levels and made you do things to reach the level
>>
File: 406-Sonic_Jam_(U)-1[1].jpg (167 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
406-Sonic_Jam_(U)-1[1].jpg
167 KB, 640x448
>>322222608
also been done. but on a smaller scale
>>
>>322222812
Makes it all feel too arcadey.
>>
File: shc2014_10_5[1].png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
shc2014_10_5[1].png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>322222908
I dont understand m8
>>
>>322223050
I want the game to move away from being a platformer stick in the 90's.

Think of how linear and arcade-like the series is.
You're always playing for better times and scores rather than for the sensation of speed and discovery.

Think about Mario 64, Banjo, Spyro, the games are seamless.
Sonic needs to be that.
>>
>>322223304
You realize better times, scores and arcades is in segas dna right? Unleashed actually handles both of those things you mentioned, speed and discovery. It was the first 3d game to use boost and capture high speed exhilaration but there was also the werehog with secrets in all the levels and medals scattered in each level that encouraged you to look around. By that metric, unleashed should provide you with what youre looking for to a T

>mario, spyro, banjo

So you want sonic to be less like sonic and more like mario, spyro, and banjo? Why even care about sonic then if you just want open world hubs since this series has never really provided that?
>>
>Sonic Colors
If they're not going to make the effort and at least redo the fucking UI elements so they don't look like pixelated shit like in Lost World, they shouldn't even fucking bother.
>>
>>322223304
the problem here isn't implementing that, but angering the fanbases

take a look at sonic lost world. it tried to change the control scheme to make sonic more fit to explore his surroundings. disregard the parkour, pretend it was perfect. the fanbase would still cry "M-MUH FAST" and diss the game

Making a hub world which takes away the player's speed would cause that backlash, but making a speedy overworld means it's gotta be big and open, which makes navigating the place a drag

It's a lose/lose
>>
>>322223662
Yes, because they're all better games than the entire series of Sonic games.

Might as well take what you can from those who do it better.
>>
>>322218140
>at least 2
>each one (or more) will only be half (or less) as good as it would be if they'd focus
>2016 is the year we get multiple Sonic games worse than Sonic 2006
>it's the 10th anniversary of Sonic 2006
POTTERY
O
T
T
E
R
Y
>>
>>322223887
So youre just retarded and want more clones of the nintendo shit you have nostalgia for as a kid. Open world/chao garden/hub faggots are seriously a blight to sonic. Please just fuck off and play those games instead of trying to add shit that doesnt belong
>>
>>322223805
Lost World's problem is that it completely ditches momentum.

You would need the hub world come across as natural.
Less of a simple go-to between levels.

Think the opposite of Adventure 1.
If Adventure simply led you to a door of the next stage, then the ideal would be to have the level weaved seamlessly into the hub world.
>>
>>322223984
Hanging onto the concepts for a 7.5/10 series of games from the Mega Drive is no better.
>>
>>322224250
that'd require loading zone chokepoints or long loading screens to load everything all at once.

chokepoints essentially mean you're getting slowed down anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'd like a hub, it's just that I can't figure out a middle point myself
>>
>>322223050
>could have been so good
>werehog stages
>>
>>322224376
Funny you say that since the genesis games had no hubs. Whats next in your great list of ideas? Making sonic red and putting an N on his chest? Getting rid of his speed? Twists and loops, those are so not 2016. Or maybe youre one of those sell sonic to nintendo types of idiots? Whatever the case, you seem to have 0 idea on how sonic works
>>
>>322224424
You can make it without loading.
You'd be having the game constantly streaming the segments of its world via conditionals.

Or just load the entire thing at once, just do it Sega.
>>
>Hate Sonic most of my life
>Still hate 99% of the games
>Cannot stop playing the first half of Sonic 3

It's so beautiful, a diamond in a pile of shit. Such expertly crafted stages cannot be a coincidence, how the hell did they pull it off?
>>
>>322224582
I don't think anyone really knows how Sonic should work.

Is it about speed?
Is it the plaotforming?
How do you balance the two?
Does exploration deserve a place next to such a gimmick?

I think Sonic should be about speed, but there's more to that word than just running fast.
>>
>>322224783
>Make sonic about speed
>jesus how do we do this in 3D
>autorun sections
>press A to home attack and not have to think
>press X to run so fast you can go through enemies and not have to worry about platform

Next they'll just make it a movie.
>>
File: Fuck this.png (75 KB, 581x330) Image search: [Google]
Fuck this.png
75 KB, 581x330
>tfw just want fucking Transformed 2
>will never happen
>>
>>322224783
Sonic is about none of those things, it's about enormous levels. Just look at this:

http://www.soniczone0.com/games/sonic3/downloads/s3-hz-act2map.png

Mario jumps and Bubsy goes fast, but this is unique to the Sonic franchise. Just look at those endless routes. The only reason why Sonic goes fast in the first place is so you can traverse these huge areas within reasonable time. Platforming is merely the means which you use to choose paths.

>>322224928
Making Unleashed a corridor-runner is the most scandalous decision I've ever seen.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>322224928
SRB2 did 3D sonic pretty damn well actually

but then again, that's fan game territory
>>
>>322224783
Its about both. It is hard to balance the 2. I have ideas but I know everyone will call them shit because ive heard it before so meh.

for the second part about being about speed. What youre looking for is good flow. Level design that helps push you forward but occassionally slows down to platform or so you dont fuck up on taking the shortcut/fast path
>>
>>322225028
Majority of the levels in the Genesis Sonics feel like someone just went nuts with a tile painter.

So it's not about speed, but then you have this momentum based movement which makes the platforming sluggish, but then it's about speed but there's no real incentive to do anything fast lest you count the ten minutes ticking up.
>>
>>322225075
I think that's a good way to put it, "Flow."

But I think the series needs a bit more than, "I'm going to go fast to get a good time."

It needs, "How can I solve this using Sonic? How can I traverse this using speed?"
>>
>>322225491
That is the thing. the levels are all bizarre and can only be completed by sonic in his world because of his speed, agility, and acrobatic abilities that hes had forever. rail grinding, bursting through mech enemies with sheer speed or homing onto them and whacking them with a spiked roll. The first level of sonic unleashed takes 2 minutes. As mario or some other faggot it would take probably 7-8. And how would they get past those loops or floating mechs that need a homing attack? Everything about sonic is covered in mystery and surrealism, its just not used in the way you want it to be. It sounds more like you want a puzzle game that revolves around speed rather than a straight up fast paced obstacle course platformer
>>
>>322222260

I don't. I'm asking because I think it would be profitable for them, unless there's some barrier to releasing it that I don't know about. At least, it would probably sell more than Lost World.
>>
>>322225356
That's not fair, they feel like someone designed a level with branching roots that give you a different path depending on how well you're playing.

Generations did well to bring that feeling back in the classic levels and introducing them to the modern ones as well.
>>
>>322218524

Jet Set's turning 15 this year.
>>
>>322225735
Pretty much.

I want Sanic to be F-Zero GX and Sands of Time, not Audiosurf.
>>
>>322225963
Sonic Team didn't make Jet Set Radio.
>>
>>322225958
That was good, but I find the Generations paths empathized speed too much. The upper route was always a shortcut, I.E. you actually get to play LESS of the level.

Sonic is a series where there are water-stages where certain routes ensure you never have to go underwater.
>>
>>322226016
I dont know what to tell you m8. Youre just so far off from getting that i dont know what to say. Just stop following sonic. Its better than suggesting to turn him into something no one but you wants
>>
They will be trash, why delude yourself into thinking otherwise
>>
>>322226090

The ones who did aren't around anymore.
>>
>>322226493
You dont seem to understand. ST never made jet set. ST made

>sonic
>nights
>puyo pop
>samba de amigo
>pso
>billy hatcher
>burning rangers
>>
>>322226308
I cannot stop my quest.

The Mega Drive games are overrated to a point of stupidity.
The levels are fucking garbage and there is no coherency to the mechanics.

Meanwhile we have people on the other side who are content with Generations and Sonic Adventure 2 and praise things like loop de loops and trick rings as staples the series cannot live without.
>>
>>322226493
They're are still a few around after the studios merged. Some are making Yakuza and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
>>
all I really want is console/PC ports of the taxman phone remakes of the first two games
>>
>>322226632
I agree that theyre over rated, and sonic and knuckles is fucking terrible in particular. But they are generally a great trilogy

But people praise those games because they flow well, have cool stunts and daredevil tier acts, and are fast and fun to play. Its hard to pin point exactly how and why, but they have a following for a reason. People like 2d and 3d sonic for different reasons. For the 2d, they like the more open level design and physics that accompany them. For 3d, they like the spectacle and more focus on speed and tricks that i mentioned.

If you dont like either approach this is seriously not the series for you
>>
File: 1442361987047.jpg (48 KB, 459x600) Image search: [Google]
1442361987047.jpg
48 KB, 459x600
>>322218524
>It's NiGHTS. The 20th Anniversary is this year.

man I fucking wish. I'd buy it day one and empty my bank account buying gift copies for people.

>>322218853

Heroes is shit.
>>
>>322227147
Lost World was the first step

You can't stop it.
Soon my plan will be complete.
>>
>>322221128

Came out in 2006
>>
>>322227094
Just use and Android emulator.
>>
>>322227332

That's like saying I should use NullDC to emulate Shenmue instead of asking for a PC port so I can transfer my save over when 3 comes out.
>>
>>322218524
>>322219532
>>322225963
Man Sega needs to learn spread out its anniversaries.
>>
>>322227258
Dude, no one likes lost world. It was on the shit u and pc and still no one wanted it. You are the minority im talking about that is taking the series to directions longtime fans dont want it to go to
>>
>>322227184
If you want a new NiGHTS game, go buy Rodea the Sky Soldier's Wii version.
>>
>>322228757
lol
>>
>>322228757
Nice try, Naka.
>>
File: 1383630874482.png (268 KB, 424x324) Image search: [Google]
1383630874482.png
268 KB, 424x324
>>322218140
FUCKING VAGUE ASS PIECE OF SHIT SEGA SHOW ME GAMEPLAY STOP COCK TEASING ME LIKE THIS
>>
>>322229529
You probably won't get anything for a few months.
>>
I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but I prefer the Archie comics over the games at this point.
>>
File: 1443085874675.png (292 KB, 1036x1036) Image search: [Google]
1443085874675.png
292 KB, 1036x1036
Its Chronicles part 2
Get hype guys
>>
>>322218140
So, what's the worst idea for the games that they could do?
>>
>>322229529
>>322229583
march/april is usually when they officially announce new stuff. I know they did for lost world/generations/colors/unleashed
>>
>>322229701
>Chronicles 2
>made by modern day Bioware
>after showing that 2008 Bioware couldn't handle it
I mean, I wouldn't mind a Chronicles 2 if Bioware didn't make it, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
>>
>>322228757

>NISA
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.