[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls is so fucking casual compared to Demon's Souls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 11
File: demonsoulsborne_610.jpg (104 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
demonsoulsborne_610.jpg
104 KB, 610x343
Dark Souls is so fucking casual compared to Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

>bonfires every ten feet
>estus flasks automatically refilled each time

Let's say you die in Dark Souls trying to defeat a boss. You go back to the nearest bonfire with all your health restored, ready to make another attempt. If you die ten times, it's the same each time, other than the initial loss of souls. Compare that to Demon's Souls/Bloodborne.

>shortcuts, not checkpoints
>no refillable health

In the same scenario in Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, every attempt you make at the boss costs you precious resources. You lose health items and in Bloodborne, you lose ammo. And that's what makes this series good. You're SUPPOSED to get weaker each time you die. The game is SUPPOSED to get harder each time you die. It's meant to be counterintuitive. Before they casual-patched Demon's Souls, the world tendency got darker every time you died, not just when you died in human form, like it is now. That's how the game is supposed to be played.
>>
In demon's souls you can just farm grass until you have 90 of each
actually you don't even need to farm for it since they give the best kind away so freely in the last 2 areas of castle
>>
>>322206679
That's a dumb argument, because you could theoretically farm souls in any of the games. The point is that nobody likes farming. It's a chore.
>>
>>322206679
Farming is a punishment for dying. In a sense you're proving OP right.

Meanwhile getting back all your flasks and having your HP stuck in full even when you die isn't punishing at all. Its rewarding you for being bad.
>>
It's easy as fuck to just run past everything that isn't a boss Bloodborne.
>>
>>322206458
>no refillable health
Plenty of grass in the game
>>
Daily reminder DaS1 is the most casual game in the series.

>slowest paced
>enemies do far less damage and have far less health than other games especially Bloodborne
>heavy armour
>upgradable armour
>upgradable Estus power
>can hide behind shields
>even small shields have broken stability
>instant backstabs
>hilariously broken poise that lets even light armour tank most hits
>hilariously broken magic
>checkpoints are far more frequent
>removed the health drain from hollowed mode that was in DeS
>>
>Getting back full HP is bad.
By this logic, Dark Souls 2 is the best.
>>
>>322206458
And exactly what says that dying to the boss doesn't cost you ammo in Dark Souls you dipshit?

Have you even tried playing a ranger you moron? Of course you never did you stupid sonykek
>>
>>322207787
>Unrealistically damage spongy enemies are good game design
Sony defense force is desperate as ever it seems, I haven't read such bullshit in a long time.
>>
File: EU1sEsB_1_.png (499 KB, 449x642) Image search: [Google]
EU1sEsB_1_.png
499 KB, 449x642
Is this really all ps4 owners have to talk about?
>>
File: 1451070522084.jpg (64 KB, 538x482) Image search: [Google]
1451070522084.jpg
64 KB, 538x482
>>322206458
kek. farm 30 minuts get 600 blood
open gate => 2 steps to boss fight.

bait. maximum overbait
>>
>>322206458
I've never even bothered using the gun in Bloodborne and it's the same as Dark Souls, die to a boss, then rush back to it and try again, it's the same shit and health items take literally like 10 minutes to farm.

With that said, anybody ever had the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst just straight up not spawn, went to go finish Eileen's quests this time around, talked to her and she gave me the Crow Hunter shit, went in to see if Bloody Crow was even there, the run was on the ground already in front of the lamp and that was it.
>>
File: 1451637390679.gif (47 KB, 312x328) Image search: [Google]
1451637390679.gif
47 KB, 312x328
>>322207493
ng+ will punish u.
but if you are another speed runner first lvl faggot. ok have fun with your fetishes
>>
>>322208279
In Demons Souls, dying automatically shifted your HP to 50%.
There is a ring that can raise your total HP to 75% in soul form.

Dying over and over will cause your game world to shift to Black World tendency, where your total HP can drop to -40% at max when in Soul form.

Killing demons and bosses and black phantoms can shift your world to White World tendency, where your total HP in Soul form is 60+%. Stacks with the ring that affects total HP in soul form.
>>
>>322206458
All Souls games are casual as fuck.
>>
>>322208701
You must've aggro'd him somehow, and he used his chikage transformed mode to kill himself slowly. Bug, perhaps.
>>
Dark Souls was the series at its peak. Demon's Souls was great but it had some real issues like tendencies, broken boss mechanics, grinding for healing items etc. Bloodborne has the same grind for healing items but you can heal infinitely just by attacking after you get hit which just makes it too easy.

I had the most fun with Demon's Souls though, the series has been going downhill with every installment (but they're still well above average)
>>
>>322208824
This. Souls are like the retarded brothers of the action game genre.
>>
Bloodborne is by far the most casual souls game though
>almost infinite stamina
>R1 spamming extremely effective
>no poise
>parrying barely involves any risk (since guns have a big range)
>blood vials heal extremely fast
>almost every opponent can be beaten if you go behind him and spam R1 at his legs
In BB's defense the last one is also true for the other Souls games as well.

Overall, the only hard thing about BB was the Defiled Chalice, which was cheap as fuck
>The game is too easy with full health? Let's see how you manage with half health lol
>>
>>322208829
Nah, that's how I killed him the first time, just straight up he never spawned. Warped to Cathedral Ward right after killing Rom and leaving the Unseen Village, decided to go do Eileen, she's laying there bloody, talked to her, she gave me the shit, so I got confused and went to check the Bloody Crow and he just wasn't there.

Odd as shit. I guess I could have aggro'd him, don't know how though in that situation.
>>
>complaining about call of duty with swords being casual
Pick a real hack&slash game like DmC
>>
>>322208748
The thing I miss most about Demon's Souls is that death was an actual gameplay mechanic rather than just the consequence of taking too much damage.
>die too often? game gets more difficult each time
>but some items and enemies can only be found at pure black/pure white
>can't just throw yourself at bosses endlessly like the other games because it has real consequences you can spend half the area making up for
>>322208934
Health is largely irrelevant in Bloodborne though. You just run and heal or attack and heal but either way you'll be back at full health unless the enemy kills you in one hit or stunlocks you and then kills you, either way your survival hinges on that first attack killing you.
>>
>demon's souls healing
>good
Nigger, it's so easy to farm infinite amounts of full HP restoring grass, and it works damn near instantly too. PVP was always a ridiculous race to see who could stuff grass in their mouth the fastest.

I remember fighting a guy as the Old Monk, fucking battle took like 20 minutes because we both had Second Chance and assloads of grass/spice.
>>
>>322207493
And it was even easier when you could do it with the ring of fog.
>>
File: 1451062713016.png (410 KB, 406x536) Image search: [Google]
1451062713016.png
410 KB, 406x536
>>322208934
lol. WRONG

all NON NG+ souls are casual.
they are a bit hard for newcomers only.

>>almost infinite stamina
usless when dead in 1-2 hits
>>R1 spamming extremely effective
same here. dont use broken ass fast weapons
>>no poise
same here
>>parrying barely involves any risk (since guns have a big range)
.. maybe you are right
>>blood vials heal extremely fast
bad for PVP only. otherwise - 1-2 hit death solves it on ng+
>>almost every opponent can be beaten if you go behind him and spam R1 at his legs
broken fast weapons
>In BB's defense the last one is also true for the other Souls games as well.
u know. all games have this shit.
>>
>>322208420
>implying bows are viable in Dark Souls
Demon's Souls is the only game in the series where a bow is worth a damn. They were nerfed to hell in Dark Souls and especially Dark Souls 2.
>>
>>322207493
you can do that in every souls game too.
>>
>>322206458
And yet DeS was is still the easiest one in the lot.
>>
>>322207493
It is in all the games though.
>playing Demon's Souls
>NG+++
>want to respec to make a BBS build
>decide to let False Allant soulsuck me down from 140 to 50
>run right to him ignoring all the enemies along the way aside from that one knight in the tower who blocks you off
>let boss soulsuck me as many times as I can withstand, let him kill me, run back to the fight, collect my souls, repeat
>takes a few dozen attempts
>in the end I'm 100 levels below the content and an enemy would kill me if it sneezed in my direction
>still make it back every time
That game is fucking tense when you got 100 levels worth of souls on the line though I tell you whut
>>
File: king-allant-large.jpg (122 KB, 800x585) Image search: [Google]
king-allant-large.jpg
122 KB, 800x585
>>322206458
>final boss of DeS is literally a slug man who doesnt do anything and is a complete joke boss
explain this, DeS fags
>>
>>322209626
False King is the real final boss. You reach the real king and discover he's nothing more than a worthless blob. it's a case of the developers valuing narrative over gameplay but I thought it worked well enough
>>
>>322208748
>>322209164
That's Vanilla Demon's Souls only. They patched the game fairly quickly so that the world tendency only changes if you die when you're alive, not in soul form.
>>
>>322208934

This is what I also feel about BB only shitters that do not know how to dodge and manage timing enemy attacks.

Must be all those shield users from the previous installments.

That said I really like DaS2 SoTFS more than Old Hunters but I must say Old Hunters is no doubt much better than DaS2 SoTFS in terms of quality.
>>
>>322209745
>implying you've even played Bloodborne
>>
>>322209745

>only shitters *complain in the game are the ones* that do not know how to dodge and manage timing enemy attacks.

I'm autistic
>>
File: 1388484414273.jpg (84 KB, 1062x574) Image search: [Google]
1388484414273.jpg
84 KB, 1062x574
>kill a mob in Bloodborne
>drops 3-5 Blood Vials
>literally have so many I have to sell a bunch because of storage filling up
>animation for using them is near-instant like grass from DeS
>even in NG+++++++ boss attacks are damage capped to prevent getting one-shot
>not casual as fuck
>can also get HP back by just trading blows with enemies
>>
>>322209334

>hurr don't use x it's broken

sorry buddy, having to forcefully gimp yourself by not using weapons that you literally start with and are given access to naturally while progressing through the game in order to make it fun and/or challenging is shit game design
>>
>>322209849

>Implying implications

I bet you're one of those people bandwagoning that Orphan is the hardest boss when fucking Laurence is much worse
>>
>>322206458
>>bonfires every ten feet
Look I'm not saying it hard, but this is an exaggeration and you know it faggot.
>>
>casual

it's 2016 cmon
>>
>>322209959

>hot dog
>difficult at all

are you serious?
literally strafe to the left, wail on him, repeat (just like every other BB boss)
>>
>>322207787
>having more features makes it casual

nice one anon.
>>
>>322209626
The real boss is False King, like Gerhman in Bloodborne
True Allant/Moon Presence are just silly joke bosses.
>>
>>322206458
You literally get health back JUST from attacking enemies in Bloodborne. Not to mention that you have TWENTY blood vials with ridiculously fast consuming animations. Both grass in DeS and vials in BB are farmable. It's almost impossible to actually die in BB unless you get stunlocked or oneshot.
>>
>>322209705
>>322210153
eventhough you fight false king mid way through the game? ok
>>
Nothing in bloodborne compres to Anor Londo silver knight archers
>>
>>322210089

But that lava spew all around was really bullshit at least Orphan of Kos has a large tell for his lightning storm and all his fast attacks are really manageable since he needs to throw a tantrum before turning to attack you
>>
>>322209705
>>322210217
>hurr False King isn't the final boss because you can kill him out of order
Anyone that didn't save False King for last doesn't have an opinion worth listening to.
>>
>>322206458
>refillable health
Bruv, the Estus system was the biggest improvement from DeS to DaS. In fact, it's on of the, if not the best healing systems I've ever encountered.

With grass, you have the chance to run out of healing items during a session, with forces you to:
a. Fight the boss without healing, making it much harder (especially considering you presumably lost all your grass on him), turning it into trial and error.
b. go farm, which is literally a chore, thus ruining the pace of the game.
Unless you're on of those fags that say LMAO HARD = GOOD, or seriously think grinding is good game design, it shows the grass system is flawed.

Let's look at the other of the spectrum, let's say you've already farmed and now got to 99 new moon grass.
That just gives you the ability to tank through pretty much everything that doesn't instantly kill you, making the game so much easier.

With Estus, you have the same amount of healing every time you try the area. There's no way you'll be fucked for having none, there's no way to make it too easy for having a lot, but best of all, there's no grinding, just a steady pace of gaming.
Have trouble on the boss? Upgrade the bonfire and you'll have more, this is costly, however, so you can't abuse this everywhere.
It's just balanced the best. They even tried to improve it in DaSII with the collectible Estus flask shards, but this just made the early game much more tedious.
They tried to improve it again in DaSII, with the farmable life gems, but that just made it incredibly easy, because you could stock up on those real fast.

About the checkpoint/shortcut tradeoff. This didn't bother me at all, as you walk pretty much the same distance to find the boss.
It's worse level design, yes, but not in a way that it actually affects the player.

I'm also not a fan of the >The game is SUPPOSED to get harder each time you die. But that's my preference.
Glad they removed it in DaS
Mad the readded it in DaSII
Glad the removed it in BB
>>
>>322210230
you literally just run forward you idiot
>>
>>322206458
We have a good Dark Souls and Bloodborne lore thread, and then you have to come and fuck everything up on /v/ again.
>>
>>322210504

Fine. Then I'll take the advice in the next NG+ and man up without summoning someone to deal with his bullshit.
>>
>>322208743
No? It was even easier
>>
>>322206458
Miyazaki, the series director, said that it was never about the difficulty.
>>
All that shit is fucking casual because their target demographic is children who wanna have fun. You can die 10000 times in those games and still be fine because they're games you sperglord.
>>
>>322210230
Never understood why that part was so difficult.

Simply going forward without sprinting get you most of the way there, then it's simply a matter of rolling at the right time and killing one knight who'll end up falling by himself most of the time.
>>
>>322209997
It seems that number of Bonfires is inversally related to the quality of the level design.

Well made levels usually only had one bonfire, and despite being large areas were easy to get around once you opened all the shortcuts.

While shitty levels need multiple bonfires because otherwise it would be too tedious.

Compare Undead Burg to Demon Ruins, Burg has one bonfire, but you are never far away from anywhere on the 3 different levels of the Burg.

Demon Ruins has 3 Bonfires because it's just a shit area, if the only one was the first one, the level would be super tedious if you died to Centipede Demon.
>>
>>322210217
>every other stone has three segments
>Boletaria has four
You're obviously meant to fight him last
>>
>>322210615
You really had to summon someone for that?
>>
>>322209408
Bloodborne the easiest to do it in.
>>
>>322210837
>>322210343
then why does the game let me fight him
>>
>>322210910
because it's cool like that.
>>
>>322210354
You just don't get it. Did you play Demon's Souls when it came out? I'll never forget the feeling I had when I "got it". The game is forcing you to do everything all over until you get it right.

Oh, you died 70% of the way in? Now do the damn thing over again, and do it perfectly. If you die, it's your own fault, not the game's fault. And that's exactly what you did. There was no waiting for a patch that put a bunch of checkpoints in the game or an item that gave you infinite health. If you died, you grit your teeth and did it all over again until you did it perfect.

You're supposed to feel frustrated when you die. That's the point. How the hell are you supposed to get better, if there's no punishment for death? Where is the improvement? Where is the sense of accomplishment? If I have a bonfire right by the boss and infinite health, I can just jack around until I get a lucky victory.
>>
>>322210910
4 Kings can be your second Boss in Dark Souls.

Doesn't mean you should.
>>
File: 1449995712050.jpg (45 KB, 500x638) Image search: [Google]
1449995712050.jpg
45 KB, 500x638
We're all soulsbros here. Why you gotta do this?
>>
>>322211026
>How the hell are you supposed to get better, if there's no punishment for death?
What about broken weapons, loss of humanity, souls, and respawning enemies ?
>>
>>322206458
>shortcuts, not checkpoints

There is literally no difference here. At least the shortcuts in DaS exist for a reason. They allow you to go to other actual areas in the world faster. You can't warp and the world is massive. Most shorcuts don't actually skip entire encounters for that specific area. You have to learn tricks and get to each bonfire. Plus you act as though bonfires save you. They don't. They respawn everything which DeS completely avoids.

In DeS the shortcuts are essentially checkpoints. They let you bypass all the enemies in the area, essentially and go straight for the boss. Not to mention that a ton of areas allow you to just bypass enemies because of how wide open they are in comparison.

Not to mention... let's be honest. Enemies in DeS are literally some of the easiest in the entire series. Most bosses also are a joke. Not that I'm complaining (as you seem to be about this very topic). I don't care because the world in both games sets itself up well for the kinds of difficulty it gives. You can't skip enemies until you get shortcuts but the bosses for those kind of areas are typically a joke as a result. In smaller areas the bosses are much more difficult.

In DaS you have bonfires to act as checkpoints but also as waypoints indicating you're going the right way. But the bosses are far more difficult than in DeS. The enemies are typically more ruthless as well. And they respawn indefinitely at each sitting of a bonfire. And to count as a checkpoint you MUST sit at the bonfire to respawn enemies. There are also less checkpoints that skip the whole area. Most checkpoints only allow you to skip into other areas halfway which is actually great design because it gives you real choices and allows you to have much more variety in first and second boss orders, which adds much more replay value.
>>
>>322209359
>Nerfed in DaS 2...
Now I know this is a troll thread. DaS2 has some of the most broken ranged combat in any souls game solely because of great damage and you can literally poison shot everything to death because poison is so rapid and deals a ton of damage in that game.
>>
>>322211294
>broken weapons
You're thinking of DaS2. My weapons never broke in Dark Souls.

>loss of humanity
Only when you're in human form, and the only reason you'd be in human form is if you were summoning help anyway.

>souls
Sure, I'll give you that.

>respawning enemies
Counterbalanced by respawning estus.
>>
>>322211505
They nerfed the range. In Demon's Souls, you could snipe enemies from miles away. I beat bosses with the bow.
>>
>>322211026
None of this is true about DeS because of Grass farming/glitching and Insanely huge shortcuts. Ones that skip the whole fucking area.

Oh but keep telling us about your beloved "difficulty" and all that "punishment" for death.

And what fucking infinite health??? DaS has VERY limited healing until almost the end of the damn game where you can finally farm Humanity... but those take a year and a half to actually use in the first place. Bonfire placement doesn't mitigate over half of a damn area. There are only a couple bonfires in most areas of the game. And bosses are much more difficult in DaS than in DeS.
>>
>>322210615
Seriously? I can understand how one might have a lot of trouble with it the first time, but the second time you literally just kill the demon to the right where their arrows can't reach you, kill the other spear demon when he comes to you, then just run forward so their arrows can't hit you. Then the archer on the left will be blocked while you just stand in front of the right archer until he falls off like a retard. Then you run towards the other one and slap him.
>>
>>322211026
Since when was punishment required in order for someone to get better at a game...? It's never been required. You just have a psychologically fucked brain that somehow "forces" you to stay bad at a game unless you're punished?
>>
>>322211853
That's about it though. Everything else (especially with Hawkeye Ring) can be easily sniped. Bosses are mostly a joke in that game anyway, bar some hitbox issued bosses.
>>
File: koopa.jpg (29 KB, 347x190) Image search: [Google]
koopa.jpg
29 KB, 347x190
>skill/bloodtinge build
>reiterpallsch + bowblade + loch shield + evelynn

so much fucking variation
>>
>>322210856
It's really not.
It's easy in all of them.
>>
>>322214246
>skill/bloodtinge
>doesn't use the chikage
>>
>>322215490
You are much faster in BB and the enemies don't seem to track as much.
>>
File: 1403401179339.png (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1403401179339.png
48 KB, 500x500
>>322206458
>Get demon's souls
>half health bar
>use ston to get back in human form for full health bar
>die
>repeat
>that black phantom wasn't there before
>why everyone wrecks my shit
DeS shenanigans were the best though.
>>
>>322215747
You run/walk at the exact same speed in BB. Enemies hardly track you in any of the games, the only game where they did really pursue you was DaS2 and even then it was still easy for the most part.
It's the same for all of the games.
>>
>>322215747
Running in DeS was fucking sanic speeds.
>>
>>322206458
Estus Flask has been the best innovation in the Souls series and there is no better alternative

Only difference is the grinding for more healing items, which isn't more hardcore or whatever but more tedious
>>
File: 1451630464181.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451630464181.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>322214246
>BLT
>not using Bloodletter
Faggot.
>>
>>322206458
>also defending tendency

It's like a new form of retardation

I'll take the benefit of the doubt and pretend you're just fishing for replies and not actually have taste this awful
>>
>>322211027
4 Kings isn't the final boss
>>
>>322206458
Tendency was interesting but it made obtaining things a royal bitch. I had to purposefully die with human form just to get things because I kicked too much ass in soul form. DeS made up for halving your health by raising your attack, making it a preference of either defense over offense/vice-versa. The game got easier if you did well, which is counter-intuitive for people who actually want the challenge. I shouldn't have to kill myself 7 or 8 times, regardless of form, just to enjoy pure black world tendency's difficulty. But them's the grits.

The bosses were good ideas but had sub-par execution, for the most part. Obtaining grass wasn't even hard and I could chew that shit all day. At least I could run out of estus.

If anything DaS had a more balanced form of difficulty for more experienced players, with the conditions for winning to be more static with the estus limit. I do wish the gravelord was a self-inflicted punishment. They're all relatively casual games, especially the first NG before they start inflating all of the numbers to provide "difficulty". No matter what you say though, anybody can cheese the bosses and enemies with (cross)bows. You don't have to be good at the games when you have enough knowledge to flip the bird to any challenges the game could provide. Souls games were always casual, but from the way you think tendency should work I would say you are the bigger casual.
>>
>>322209359
>not maining the bowblade in bloodborne
>>
>>322209938
>even in NG+++++++ boss attacks are damage capped to prevent getting one-shot

I get 1 shot plenty in NG++
>>
Hey Soulsbros.

I'm thinking about getting a PS4 for Bloodborne and other multiplats since my pc is getting old.
I'm a huge Soulsfag and King's Fieldfag. You think it would be worth it? Are there going to be more exclusive Soulslikes on the PS4?
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.