[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just played this and I have some questions. If the four Lord
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6
File: 250px-Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg (20 KB, 250x360) Image search: [Google]
250px-Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg
20 KB, 250x360
Just played this and I have some questions.

If the four Lord Souls were passed on to new hosts then why did Seathe's soul shard also pass on?
And if Seathe's passed on why didn't the Four Kings' shard?
And if the other three Lord Souls passed on why didn't the Dark Soul?
>>
shhhhh it'll all be over in a few months
>>
>>322198075
Because DaS2 is fanfiction that was too preoccupied with reminding people of a game they liked to strike out with a contribution of its own to the story, lore, and world building.
>>
>>322198075
Dark soul 2's lore is shit. It was made by team B, who messed up the series. Team A redeemed Fromsoft when they made Bloodborne.
>>
>>322198767
so sick of this B team meme spouting
>>
>>322198075
Something something fragments of Manus.
>>
The only interesting thing this game added to the lore was King Vendrick and the sisters of Dark.
Everything else is just pure fanfiction.
>>
>>322198878
I am also, it's a great game that added the idea of cycles to the lore. it gets so much more hate than it deserves. though 1 is probably better, there are things 2 did better than 1 (build variety, pvp, replayability, magic, bows, etc.)
>>
>>322198075
Most likely, Gwyn's soul was the most powerful one, so even the shard he bequeathed to Seath was powerful enough to pass on. Even though that soul is called Old Paledrake's Soul in DS2, it probably included the shard given to the Four Kings.

The Dark Soul was split onto humanity and lives on through them, except for the portion that Manus kept for himself, which passed on to his children after he died.
>>
>>322199336
>I am also, it's a great game that added the idea of cycles to the lore

Me too! Thats what made me love the Borderlands series so much xD
>>
>>322199336
>cycles garbage
>a good addition to the series
>>
>>322199551
>>322199541
are themes like reincarnation and cyclic narratives really so poorly relatable in the west that I'm shit on immediately for half praising them?
(or is it more DS2 is shit so anything that originated from it is shit too memery?)
>>
>>322199768
The cycles bullshit just removes any weight the first game's story had.
>Will you rekindle the flame, or let it die and dark take over?
>HAHA JUST JOKING NONE OF THAT MATTERS
>>
>>322199336
>it's a great game
HAHAHAHA
>>
Just ignore Dark 2. It's non-canon.
Bloodborne is the actual Dark Souls successor, and a sequel to Dark is coming up soon.
>>
>>322200097
great comment, I like the part where you supported your opinion with something that resembled a coherent argument
>>322200092
fair point, but how exactly could they make a sequel to it where that choice did matter and was acknowledged? it would lead to two separate universal outcomes essentially. either that or they would have had to assume one choice was made or the other. I'm not sure that's better.
>>
>>322200483
Well maybe they shouldn't have made a sequel?
Demon's didn't have a sequel and it didn't need one.
>>
Should have just named it Dragon Souls.
>>
>>322198878
>>322199336
It's not a meme, it's true.
>>
>>322200525
I guess so, but with such great world building and lore to play with, it would have been a shame to just leave it at that. and don't tell me you're not excited for DS3? without invalidating the choice made in DS1, games like 3 (unless they were prequels, which would be sick) wouldn't make much sense.
>>322200646
>memers don't know when they're memeing
>>
>>322200483
>great comment, I like the part where you supported your opinion with something that resembled a coherent argument
play the games

theres my argument
>>
>>322200924
That's not an argument.
>>
>>322201356
yes it is, anyone with eyes can see that dark souls 2 is a piece of shit if you compare it to dark souls 1
>>
>>322201438
>literally can't support an argument with a single point no matter how much he posts
no you're right, I concede to your superior prepubescent debating skills
>>
>>322201750
I've had this argument hundreds of times since dark souls 2 came out. I'm over it, I'm done explaining to DaS2 fans, that are all apparently children because they need to be lectured every. fucking. time.
>>
>>322201863
dude you already won man, I mean you raised points I hadn't even considered. this really has been an enlightening experience. I'll never enjoy DS2 again, I promise.
>>
File: 139691181993.jpg (54 KB, 508x512) Image search: [Google]
139691181993.jpg
54 KB, 508x512
>People shit on B-team for making a story about cycles
>Somehow Shitborne is better for making a story about "its just an eldritch god u dont get it!" and "THE CORRUPTING BLOOD" and essentially being on par with fucking Metzen while writing world of corruptioncraft
>>
>>322198075
Seathe's soul was strong enough to be distinct and was passed on.

We don't know if the 4K souls passed on or not since we never run into anyone who had them.

The Dark Soul exists in all of humanity.
>>
>>322200092
>The cycles bullshit just removes any weight the first game's story had.
But DaS3 also uses it. Are you saying DaS3's lore will be shit too?
>>
>>322202079
>people who like Dark 2 but don't like Bloodborne
Truly an enigmatic species. Who could even fathom the dark depths of a twisted mind such as that?
>>
>>322200092
You're forgetting that there are thousands of years between the cycles, thinking it doesn't matter is immature and nihilistic.
>>
File: latest[2].jpg (2 MB, 1497x889) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
2 MB, 1497x889
>>322198075
ONLY PEOPLE WHO PLAYED DARK SOULS 1 WILL GET THIS
>>
>>322202254
Dark 3 is obviously trying to fix the lore, and also saying that the series is over and can't be raped any more.
>>
>>322198075
Gwyn's soul went to the Old Iron King
The Witch of Izalith's soul went to the Lost Sinner
Nito's Soul went to the Rotten
A fragment of The Dark Soul (from the Furtive Pygmy) went to Nashandra

The Duke's Dear Freyja carries Seath's bequeathed soul shard
The Darklurker might carry the Four King's bequeathed soul shard, since it even looks similar.
>>
>>322202346
>Dark 3 is obviously trying to fix the lore,
Considering it already references previous 'lords of cinder', it's clearly taking DaS2's idea on cycles and running with it.
>>
>>322202431
Not much they can do after Dark 2 raped the lore so bad. All they can do is stitch up what's left.
>>
Can anybody advise me how to get down to the fire lizard in the forest of fallen giants?
>>
File: 1442286413802.png (250 KB, 462x436) Image search: [Google]
1442286413802.png
250 KB, 462x436
>>322202495
Oh, I see what you're doing now.
>>
>>322202586
sure mate, go out the door by the bonfire where you find the old women and descend down the rafters below. enter a cave thing and just follow that and you'll be there eventually.
>>
>>322202724
thanks but the cave is a dead end?
>>
>>322202868
is it really? shit I thought that was the way to it, fuck if i know then
>>
>>322202586
You want to get behind it? The one spewing fire in the tunnel?

Open the locked door near the Last Giant bossroom with the key you get from beating him.
>>
>>322202495
>>322202495
Dark Souls 3 could have easily ignored the existence of Dark Souls 2, just like how Devil May Cry 4 pretends Devil May Cry 2 doesn't exist.

Especially since Miyazaki is the CREATOR of the series and ALSO the PRESIDENT of the company. He had EVERY right to ignore the existence of Dark Souls 2.

But Miyazaki didn't. Miyazaki acknowledges the merits of Dark Souls 2 and thus is incorporating the lore into Dark Souls 3. He even put the second director of Dark Souls 2, Yui Tanimura, into his team (I think Miyazaki even said that Tanimura is helping him with level and map design).
>>
>>322203125
no he doesnt drop that key, I still dunno how to open the door
>>
>>322203217
I just hope they don't let the fucker actually write anything.
Also, his level will definitely be shit. At least it's not the whole game, though.
>>
>>322202342

What was the reason for him being there? I forgot already.
>>
>>322203431
besides fan fiction? no not really.
>>
>>322203431
Desperate attempt to include something people like so they will like the game.
Same with the retarded Sunlight altar.
>>
>>322203259
Oh, I might be misremembering. It's probably the key you get in the first room of Iron Keep, the one that's in front of the statue spewing out fire.
>>
>>322203329
How do you know all of this? How do you know more about the competency of the employees of From Software than its current president?

Miyazaki clearly sees something in Tanimura to mention his name positively multiple times in interviews.

I'd trust the president of the company and the creator of the series more than some random anon who thinks he knows better than the president-creator.
>>
File: 1450844757918.jpg (323 KB, 1273x1920) Image search: [Google]
1450844757918.jpg
323 KB, 1273x1920
>>322203605
oh ok I never tried getting that key but thanks!
>>
>>322203670
more b-team and anyone from DS2's development team is shit cancer of course
>>
>>322203784
Not him, but wasn't Tanimura responsible for all of the DLC after he was called on to salvage the game? The DLC are some of the best areas in the game with the best bosses in the series.
>>
>>322202004
You glorious goddamned bastard
>>
>>322203890
it absolutely was, I don't know who was responsible for it but it was fabulous, some of my best memories of DS2 and the series in general. Naturally AoTA from DS1 was great as well.
>>
>>322203784

There are good members of teams and bad members of teams. Even the smartest individuals can perform poorly when placed with a group filled with shitty team members. It's entirely possible that the "B-Team" members Miyazaki is using for Dark Souls 3 were just put into a bad spot.

Again, I trust the creator of the series and the president who has been working with all the people in his company more than some random meme-spouting anon who can't distinguish between groups and individuals.
>>
>>322204114
As do I, well put anon. I'm remaining optimistic until I've been given a legitimate reason not to be.
>>322203975
Thanks senpai!
>>
>>322204114
Bteam is largely a myth anyways since bteam had a lot of ateam members.

An expanded Ateam is more accurate.
>>
I'm playing through dark souls 2 Next gen version and they seem to try to fix so much shit wrong with dks2 that they not only fuck shit up but make it a clusterfuck. I am sure as hell darksouls 2 was b team, it doesn't feel right at all, the game is designed around co-op due to all the gank squads the enemies do, and not to mention the horrible adp stat they better remove in dks3.

It's an okay game to run through once, but it lacks the repeatability and charm both demon souls and dks 1 had .
>>
>>322198075
>If the four Lord Souls were passed on to new hosts then why did Seathe's soul shard also pass on?

Seath doesn't have soul in the first place.
His souls is the souls of a 'intelligent pale creature' that have been mentioned even before DaS.

>And if Seathe's passed on why didn't the Four Kings' shard?

Four king souls is merely a fragment of Lord of Cinder souls.
In DaS2 Old King Soul were speculated to be this very soul.

>And if the other three Lord Souls passed on why didn't the Dark Soul?

What? The 4 lord souls is speculated to be the Dark Soul.
>>
>>322200646
It's not, DSII had a troubled production.
>>
>>322204853
Seathe's soul is the same as the Four Kings. He was given a shard by Gwyn. No dragons naturally have souls. Dark 2 made the mistake of giving Sinh and the dragon in the memory souls because of the incompetent writing.
>>
>>322198075
Its actually badly written but here's how it goes.

Chosen undead defeats all these baddies in Dark Souls 1. over time they either regain their bodies (Old Dragonslayer), or their souls attach to the bodies/souls of new individuals (Old Iron King who rose to power was possessed by Gwyn's spirit for example). They then affect these new individuals lives and turn their new world to shit.

In essence, parasites.

Manus' children are a bit different. Instead of possessing anyone they actually take in a human form, because dark = humans in Dark Souls. Since humans basically control Lordran in Dark Souls 2 they rise to power.
Strangely enough only two of the four of Manus' daughters are actually evil.

The splitting of Manus' soul into 4 women is somehow supposed to show how humanity turned into Human Effigies. Basically the more it divided the shittier the quality the Dark Soul became.

>Old Great Souls = Possession
>Dark Soul = Multiply but turn to shit
>>
>>322206330
>The splitting of Manus' soul into 4 women is somehow supposed to show how humanity turned into Human Effigies

I don't see that at all?
>>
>>322200624
this
>that shit with the emerald herald
nobody would have shit on it quite as much if they didn't presume to call it dark souls 2
>>
>>322198075
Seath's Soul ----> Duke's Dear Freja
The four Kings shard was part of Gwyn's soul, therefore it was passed to the old iron king
The dark soul was passed on to Nashandra, Elana, and the other fragments of Manus

The lore makes sense actually, it's just the retarded miyazaki fanboys that shit on it.
>>
>>322198075
the dark souls can be the queens, can be the dark lurker or some parts of it or the dark soul itself is not relevant at all
the old souls are the lords souls from ds 1 and the 4 king is only are part of gwyn old king one
seathe fucked around with his shit so his soul became something else consisted out of gwyns spul thats why the old iron king probably failed
wow that was hard to figure out well?

>>322203431
as fanservice hey even said it themselves in we will probaly see some of this stuff in DS3

>>322207537
because thats vaati fan fiction tier shit and only minimally implied from the description of items
>>
>>322198075
Guys, just, forget 2 ever happened, okay?
>>
>>322208417
You can't really explain why "Humanity" got replaced by "Effigies" otherwise.

I think its best we just remember Dark Souls 2's story as something that happened in the past but we don't remember. We just sat on Vendrick's barbecue stool.

>>322208578
Plague got so told by Matt.
>>
>>322199336
>great game
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.