[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey fightan fags why did this almost kill fighting games? I think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Hey fightan fags why did this almost kill fighting games? I think its pretty fun with a great cast and soundtrack

Why was it so bad for the genre?
>>
>>322144126
Unique bump for curiosity
>>
Have you seen high level play of 3S? Boring as fuck.
>>
>>322144126
People hate this game?
>>
>>322144126

I hate how the parry works. At least Yang is fun.
>>
SF3 didn't "almost kill fighting games", interest in the genre as a whole waned, but other fighters kept getting made just fine, Capcom just quit making Street Fighter for a decade. SF3 flopped because by the time they started rolling out people moved onto other things. That said, SF3 is shit.
>>
>>322144126
Because the first 2 versions of SF3 were not well received. And even then it took people a while to warm up to 3rd strike.

It didn't really kill fighting games because they continued to come out after this. Hell, Alpha 3 came out after SF3 and was much better received But it was more like "A Street Fighter game flopped hard and Just about every other CPS3 game did as well" so fighters were looking less and less profitable to Capcom.
>>
The game had an extremely high skill ceiling for high level play and many players just didnt find it very fun to compete in. Only top Japanese players competed in it, everyone else continued playing Marvel 2 and Alpha 3.
>>
>>322144126
- most new characters were shit
- parry destroyed zoning and was way to easy to perform compared to other games with a parry mechanic. you basically didnt even have a drawback for trying a parry, I mean cmon.
- whole gameplay was centered around mid/close range and cr.mk xx super hitconfirm.
- no zoner like classic shotos/sim or grappler like zangief were allowed!
- yun, chun, ken were way to strong and easy to play.
>but m-muah kuroda or something retarded like that
- nigger soundtrack, actually the worst street fighter ever had besides maybe mvc2
- no proper console port for a very long time. the dc one WASNT proper!

and besides all that, the game just sucked donkey balls. funny how nowadays all those hipsters pretend to like it.
>>
Still leagues beyond that slow ass shit that came after. Fuck Street Fighter 4.
>>
>>322144281
3S yielded the single most hype moment in any video game ever.
>>
>>322145410
>Muh Daigo parry
Not really

>>322145258
>- nigger soundtrack, actually the worst street fighter ever had besides maybe mvc2
Also untrue, although Second Impact's soundtrack was a lot better than Third Strike's imo
>>
If you don't like your 3rd Strike you are a faggot
>>
>>322145535
well, the part about the soundtrack was kinda subjective I give you that but my other points are still true.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (93 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
93 KB, 1280x720
LETS GET IT ON NOW
>>
mostly shit cast of characters and gameplay that wasn't newbie friendly
>>
>>322145690
SELECT AND MAKE YOUR FIRST PICK
>>
Balanced for shit. The top tier characters were too top tier and it felt like every top 8 was only Yun Chun or Ken. It gets boring when you only see the same 2-3 characters in every match. This is my problem with MVC2 also.

I know people like to shit on SF4. But that might of been the best balanced game they ever put out by ultra.
>>
Because it removed most of the original cast?
>>
File: matchups.png (484 KB, 654x666) Image search: [Google]
matchups.png
484 KB, 654x666
this sure looks like fun
>worst matchup is one other top 3 character and its just a 5:5

if u guys still enjoy 3rd strike than you probably never left scrub-tier level.
>>
>>322144126
It's because the learning curb was too fucked up. You want a steady climb for new players who want to learn the game and get good. Third strike has a huge fucking wall early on in the form of parries. This makes the game way too hard for the average player to learn without help.

On top of that, people weren't buying 2D fighters the way they used to, so making a game that didn't have the original roster, was too hard for most players, and used expensive 2D sprite work was obviously not going to be very profitable. Guilty Gear fills the "title for players who like overly complex game mechanics" niche very well, we don't need Street Fighter trying to do that too.

For 2D fighting games to exist, Street Fighter needs to be enjoyable to beginners, and easy to transfer from low level to mid level play.
>>
>>322145831
>It gets boring when you only see the same 2-3 characters in every match
Don't really think that is the games fault. MvC2 and Third Strike may be unbalanced but someone won a UMvC tournament using Rocket.

Ultra better be balanced considering it's the fifth iteration of the game.
>>
>>322146180
3rd never tried to be complex it was actually a step back from games like alpha which had:
- counterhits
- univeral airthrow mechanic
- airtechs
- alpha counter
- different isms/fighting styles
- tons of command normals/cps1 chains etc...

3rd only had parry/red parry and the parry window was huge as fuck compared to slashback in gg for example. heck the game didnt even had counterhits for ffs.

3rd also introduced shortcuts, afaik you could do shit like 313 for srk motions like the shit the people like to bash nowadays in sf4 lol.

so if anything 3rd was noob friendly it just sucked.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.