[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MGSV
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
(1/3)
Hear my theory about what happened to MGSV. Some of the details are poached from other theories, but there's some of it that I don't think is thought of that much. In the end, I wonder what if, and, to be honest, it helps lessen the sting of the final product of MGSV.

To begin, let's go back some time when Kojima said he would like to experiment with episodic releases. He thought about doing this for Silent Hills, but who's to say he didn't want to experiment with MGSV? The chaptered structure of The Phantom Pain, as well as the literal episodic mission set up, shows Kojima wanted it in MGSV. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that the episodic structure of the episodes kind of ruined some of the surprise, which could be a jab at the episodic structure of television, but I think I feels off because MGSV is missing something that all other episodic form content has: a clear separation of its parts. There was a thread on here a while back about Kojima wanting to do episodic releases of MGSV content, and most people in the thread scorned the idea (as people are doing for Final Fantasy VII Remake (albeit the disapproval is a little more deserving for an already established open world game)), but what if Kojima had gotten his way?
>>
Let's say Kojima pitched the idea of episodic release of MGSV to Konami. They turn it down, and tell him to continue making the product as if it was going to be released as one product. Next generation consoles are announced, and suddenly the PS4 needs a title to hook people into upgrading. At this point, most of MGSV has yet to be completed, all that's really done is Camp Omega. Seeing this as a chance to test the reception of releasing something in parts, Kojima and Konami decide to release the Camp Omega and prologue section of MGSV as a standalone title in order to get some more development money and buy themselves some more time before people really start to get upset. Ground Zeroes cost too much for the content as decided by the consumer, and Konami decides not to allow The Phantom Pain to be released in parts ala Ground Zeroes. But what would have happened if Ground Zeroes was more reasonably priced? What if people decided it was a fair exchange and Konami thinks they are able to release MGSV in parts?
>>
If this happened, “Prologue” and Chapter 1 would have been released first, probably around the time The Phantom Pain came out, maybe even a little sooner. Chapter 1 feels like the most complete portion of MGSV, and it feels safe to say that most of its content is complete, save some little details and some more polish. Had they gone with a full episodic release, Kojima wouldn’t have had to work on creating a filler Chapter 2, and he could have made sure Chapter 1 was as complete as it had to be to stand on its own. When people buy chapter 1, he’s able to put some of the profits towards more completing Chapter 2, making sure it had more story all around. Let’s say the Venom Snake/Big Boss twist was always the plan. We’re still left with the absent promise of seeing Big Boss become the bad guy in later installments. I get the feeling Kojima had something more expansive in mind for MGSV, and what we got was only a fraction of the entirety that was planned. The uncreated content, probably never to be seen unless Kojima left it with Konami, holds this Big Boss shift. I believe Chapter 3 would have been a shift from Venom Snake’s story to Big Boss, and we would get the missing link that we were supposed to. Kojima had noted wanting multiple chapters, something within the range of 3-5. Giving that the Venom Snake arc could have been completed in two of those, the rest would have been the true bridging of the past and present MG to MGS games.

Perhaps the whole thing is too far-fetched, but, given Kojima’s track record, it’s safe to say he is not overly satisfied with the outcome. The whole thing is a what-if, and for some it doesn’t change the problems that plague the game. But it does help me look forward to what Kojima Productions has to offer in the future, and I hope Kojima continues to make excellent games.
>>
fuck you if you think im reading all this
>>
interesting theory, but wasn't ground zeroes successful even though it was over priced?
>>
>>322132772
It sold, but was reviewed coldly. The first one always sells. They probably wouldn't have sold as much as with Ground Zeroes with a second chapter like it.
>>
>>322132772
Yes, but could you imagine if they released 4 to 5 Ground Zeroes priced parts? I thought Ground Zeroes was worth it, but there was a backlash. I think Konami is stupid for their short term views, but they were trying to get out of the industry and wanted to cut their losses and investments.
>>
>>322132967
>but was reviewed coldly

um, incorrect
>>
>>322133098
Oh so you're saying that our beloved 30 minute game didn't cause any controversy? Alright then
>>
File: r.jpg (54 KB, 335x433) Image search: [Google]
r.jpg
54 KB, 335x433
>>322133281
no, I'm saying it was well reviewed
>>
>>322131727
>>322131871
>>322131969
What about Kojima saying he would leave the industry is his next project, MGSV, failed?
>>
>>322135683
if his next project, MGSV, failed*
>>
>>322133098
>um
Fuck off to Tumblr.
>>
>>322135884
ugh, I find your exclousionism problematic t b h
>>
>>322136023
*sigh* um please, could you stop saying that?
you sound like a privileged white male so... yeah, please stop it honey.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.