[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gothic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
I'm playing through the Gothic series for the first time, and I'm about twelve hours into 1. I'm really enjoying the gameplay, the world, the mechanics, everything - let's talk about them.

>just joined Old Camp
>finally have weapons and armor strong enough to kill something bigger than a Scavenger
>selling weed and boozin' it up
>tfw I killed my first wolf
>then my first lurker
>then my first snapper

This game is a solid 9/10 so far, and people tell me Gothic II is even better, so I'm excited.
>>
>>322127147
Youre 14 years too late mate. (soon 15)
>>
>>322127440
Too late for what, to have fun? I'm having a blast. Good games don't age, I hate when people dismiss older games because they're older and "have aged." It's still the same Gothic it was in 2001 and it's awesome.
>>
>>322127147
My favorite part about Gothic is how you start out struggling to kill scavengers, and then you slowly but steadily grow to epic stature.
I've never had a game start you so low. With Skyrim and Oblivion I don't think I ever really had to run away from a fight.
With Gothic the feeling of killing a wolf in one hit towards the end-game is one of the most satisfying experiences, just because it's easy to recognize how far your character has risen.
>>
>>322127996
This is exactly why I love the game so much, the sense of progression is top notch. In Skyrim one of the first main quests when you get to Whiterun is killing a dragon, whereas it took me about eight hours of playing Gothic before I could survive a wolf, and that was by pulling him away from the pack and hoping to god I was faster than he was.
>>
File: innos says hullo.jpg (107 KB, 925x527) Image search: [Google]
innos says hullo.jpg
107 KB, 925x527
I sincerely hope you're playing in german

If not your doing it wrong t b h
>>
>>322128662
I'm doing it wrong I guess, I'm playing it in English and enjoying the atrociously bad voice acting.
>>
>>322128861
Yes, how awful that must be

The true german version has amazingly GOOD voice acting and I doubt half the lines are as funny

Sorry for your loss desu, you should become a mage though, it's the way to get the most out of the game
>>
The game has a stellar start but everything after the enormous chapter 1 is average, unfortunately. The gameplay was okay, hard enough to make the world really menacing. Once you start gaining power and the story streamlines into something more conventional it's just an average action rpg, really, because the gameplay is not good enough to stand on its own. I was also disappointed at the lack of consequence tied to your initial faction choice, apart from armor (that you will eventually abandon) and skills (but then again the more the game advances the less limitations you have on this).
>>
>>322129147
Tell you what, I'll probably replay the game in German when I play it again, which will definitely happen. After I know what's going on in the story and game, and know what to do, then I'll do the German version.

And I haven't done anything with magic yet, is it fun? Is the magic system good?
>>
>>322128861

>Show me your GEWDDS

I actually liked the MC voice.
>>
>>322129437
The MC's voice goes from good to average to horrible to passable fairly often, and often during the same conversation. It's not so bad honestly, and some of the npcs have good voices.
>>
>>322129352
Magic isn't good until way late in the game when you get the 4th or 5th circle spells but then it's hilariously OP

In 2 it's basically a requirement with the add-on unless you abuse scrolls and black ore

>>322129289
Factions are a means to an end, so obviously it wouldn't matter

Also
>didn't think the sleeper temple was fucking radical
>didn't like the swamp camp going completely crazy

I agree the beginning is the best but it does only get slightly worse during act 2, especially when you have to get the fucking book for the swamp camp back from the black goblin cave
>>
What's wrong with the English VA on the women? It sounds like they recorded her from the end of a hallway
>>
>>322129771

I don't know.. Sleeper's temple had some good moments (everything not related to killing orcs). I liked The Old Camp getting power-hungry, especially since i joined it. It made my whole revenge trip back to Diego the sweeter. but then again that's because it reminded me of what made the first chapter so good. I didn't really like the direction the story took ancient evil come on now. I think the game could have stayed in a reasonable power progression instead of becoming a divine killing machine at the end, would have made thing more interesting and more on track with what makes the game good to begin with. But then again, the game came out 15 years ago.
>>
>>322130796
The devs said in some video they wanted to keep the plot as simple as possible and just let the player enjoy the world they created

Also I think the Sleeper was actually set up pretty nicely, I remember being scared shitless when I first saw him as a teen
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.