[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ugh...20 hours in. I quit. I agree with the egm 65/100 review.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 299x168
Ugh...20 hours in. I quit. I agree with the egm 65/100 review.

Gfx 9 for wii.
Sound 9
Story/pacing 5
Combat 5
Sidequest 2..too much meat. No flavor!
Menus 4
Ai 5

Glad so many found enjoyment but i cant any longer. It's been a grind the whole time with very little in the way of rewards.

Am I the only one here? In metacritic it seems egm was the only one who had the same crticisms as me.
>>
>>322122537

Man you haven't even gotten to the REALLY bullshit parts of the battle system yet. That's the real test of whether this game is for you or not.
>>
I mean 20 hours is giving it a fair chance. How long do you guys play an dog before deciding it's not for you? I felt this way about xenoblade halfway into bionis let which was about 10-12 hours in. I tried to push forward and give it a chance but I don't know If I can.
>>
>>322122712
What are the really bullshit parts??? It gets worse? Wow...
>>
>>322122537
So I shouldn't pick up this game then? I'm getting my New Years gifts and I was looking for games that my wife's son could potentially be into, and this was one of them. Should I just get him an Xbox One instead?
>>
>>322122860

If I'm remembering correctly it's something like

>Bunch of monado arts
>Enemies that take chip damage unless you topple them
>AI for toppling is BS
>It takes ages to beat anything due to this
>All this happens while bosses can 1 hit KO you unless you always keep your monado arts but also they can fuck you up right after you change the future anyway
>Also spike damage is a thing while all this is happening

It's very RNG based
>>
>>322122892

I found it more manageable on 3DS if that makes sense. It makes a good handheld game.
>>
>>322123119
>>322122537

You may have played the game but it sounds like you were playing it wrong.

The game isn't ever really a grind, and enemies don't take long to kill at all.

Did you equip new gear? Gems? New Arts? Upgrade all of your arts?

Only bosses were a challenge. The game was easy guys.
>>
>>322122892
It's not fair for me to say. I seem to be the exception.

I will say the game drags and had LOTS to do. So if he's a kid who doesn't get many games in a year then this will give many hours. Thats a good thing if he really loves final fantasy 12.

I'm in my 30s so I've got a job with lots of other games to play. So if a game doesnt grab me after a fair chance i will move on. Also...I'm talking about the Wii version not xenoblade chronicles x which is Wii u and maybe better??? I don't know.
>>
>>322123390

Did all these things, it was just a very prototype-y system where it works well when it's at its best, but it absolutely fucks you with RNG at times. It just wasn't very polished.
>>
>>322123390

>The game isn't ever really a grind, and enemies don't take long to kill at all.
Yeah I enjoy not being able to hit anything that was 3 levels higher than me. And waiting for chain attacks. And getting fucked because my tank got one-shotted because I used my monado art for something else
>Did you equip new gear? Gems? New Arts? Upgrade all of your arts?
For the most part, yes. But I was also playing the game blind, I didn't get in to gems until Mechonis core
>Only bosses were a challenge. The game was easy guys.
Every game is easy when you know how
>>
>>322123390
Ive been playing rpgs since the very early 90s so yeah upgrading everything when possible. Bosses are rough but non bosses are easy so you're right there. The game is Grindy with so many fetch type quests so you and up teleporting around. When you do not a boss though grinding in this game isn't that fun. My main issue is how much random romping around between meaningful story points.
>>
>>322123119
>chip damage
That's only for mechon, and you can either have use shulk's monado enchant, or equip anti-mechon weapons which are fairly common later
>AI toppling
Could be better, but if they generally react with topple arts if you apply a break
>takes ages
Only if you are fighting mechon without shulk early game for the reasons above
>one hit KO
Unless you are severely underleveled you shouldn't be getting fucked up in the span it takes to charge another monado art.
>spike damage
Yes, that is a thing, but really only relevant for higher-level named enemies who have spike damage that actually does stuff, and even then you just monado purge or some shit.

If there was something to complain about, it'd be how much shulk feels necessary for any challenging encounter.
>>
>>322123859
>That's only for mechon
Well I haven't played in ages but that's not even true. There's enemies after the mechonis area that you can't do much damage to without toppling them
>>
>>322123859
>Unless you are severely underleveled you shouldn't be getting fucked up in the span it takes to charge another monado art.

That's not true. Op here. I've grinded and have been 3-6 levels over some minor bosses and I still have to save Monaco arts to block specialty attacks. The balance seems reasonable than it spikes like crazy and I'm not even talking about those ridiculously leveled monsters with red names that I avoid.
>>
>>322124418
Not that anon, but I've played through this game twice, on my third time now, and I don't recall ever encountering anything other than mechon that required topple to do decent damage.
>>
>>322122537
I'm quite the opposite, I'm 20 hours in and loving it. I do agree that the side quests are bad, but I don't mind, I just pick them up while I explore an area, and finish them anyway. I like how you can collect materials while exploring that will finish future quests you pick up.
>>322124420
I just finished the Marsh, what are you on? I'm having no problem with bosses.
>>
>grinding
>in a game that showers you with enough exp from landmarks that you can avoid most enemies without being underleveled
>>
>>322124418
I've played through the game three times, I certainly don't recall anything other than mechon that NEEDS a topple to do damage. The closest thing are the telethia who go into evasion mode, but that's just monado purge'd away.

>>322124420
It goes without saying that you save shield to reduce boss talent arts to 1, but they don't really do them so frequently as to keep you from using the other arts from time to time, especially if you give shulk haste or double-attack gems which drastically speed up the charge.
>>
>>322123712
I dunno, I didn't have a problem with the battle system either. The constant fetch quests were definitely a slog I'll give you that, but the battle system never fucked me.
>>
File: jeffy.jpg (75 KB, 800x991) Image search: [Google]
jeffy.jpg
75 KB, 800x991
Hey guys I just got Riki in this game, and Im wondering how good he and the new wizard girl are. So far I like playing as Dunban. I heard you shouldn't actually play AS Shulk most of the time because you can always use him to prevent those future Arts.
>>
>>322122537
I'd get XCX if I didn't already have like 10 fucking sandbox open world games on my backlog. I find myself gravitating back towards simpler games like Wild ARMs 1 on my old PSP, everything requires hours of research and practice to get anywhere now.
>>
Just hit 30 hours last night and I love the game. Probably one of the most fun games I've played in a while. Makes me want to get more into jrpgs.
>>
>>322123119
>It's very RNG based

here's your reply.
>>
>>322124883
I'm right at the end of the marsh. My characters are level 30.

My team ends most battles with their lives still nearly full. It's just some minor bosses like the "agressive Cornelius" only lvl 28 fuck me up. Also the one lizard side boss lvl31 years my team apart too. So I'll grind to win but I never avoid enemies and go out of way for more combat so I don't have to grind later.
>>
>>322125245
>Riki
Suprisingly good. Most HP out of everyone, really nice art that boost chain attack gauge, lots of dots and debuffs.
>Melia
Great if you play as her, not so much if you leave her to AI. Summoning elements gives +20% to a stat, and you can hold 3 at once. Strategically using them can be a huge help, and her damage is pretty good, too.

You probably already know how cool Dunban is. Just remember he loves to have tons of agility.
>>
>>322125501
Aggressive Cornelius shouldn't be giving you too much trouble, but Reckless Godwin is the casual filter of the marsh. He's legitimately difficult.
>>
>>322125501
huh, that's weird. Are you using Sharla at all? I found her to be pretty essential.
>>
My only problem is that I really, really hate the music.
>>
>>322125679
Thanks for the info. I guess for Melia I was wondering if its better to just spam the damaging summon element dispeling thing, or keep the elements around for a bit THEN dispel them. Obviously it's going to depend on the battle, but I don't know whether she's supposed to be DPS or Support.

And I guess for Riki it's a similar question. Ailments or damage. Probably both, or you can choose which to focus on.
>>
>>322126324
Do you mean how it loops endlessly? Yeah that's annoying.
I personally think the music sounds great but it gets tiring hearing the same track after 3 hours of grinding in an area.
>>
It's a good game. Overhyped a little because the Wii lacked in decent games. Would have been a great game if the Wii had better hardware. It's pushing the Wii to the limit.
>>
File: 1417298198447.png (81 KB, 290x299) Image search: [Google]
1417298198447.png
81 KB, 290x299
>>322126324
>>
>>322122892
Ask your bull first, then your wifes son and her bull could play together and bond :)
>>
>>322126324

>Xenoblade
>''I really, really hate the music''

Alright guys, 2015 was a nice year, but this is it for me. See you in 2016.
>>
>>322122537
>am I the only one here? ;_;
Yes, game takes a while to get used to, but it's good.

Play something more simple like CoD or FIFA or whatever you people play.
>>
>>322126874
I actually think the opposite.

The fact that they didn't have to focus on making great looking character models allowed them to focus on other technical aspects, like the fuckhuge world that literally takes place on the models of the two titans, rather than being representative of it.

I doubt Monolith would have had an infinite budget to do "modern" graphical fidelity while modelling the world like they did.
>>
>>322123119
Toppling is easy. You're just bad. Early game if you break, Reyn will follow up with wild down if it's available.
>>
>>322126532
Well for Riki, he can apply bleed, poison, chill, and burn dots, while still having slots for other stuff. He later gets a skill that consumes dots on the target for massive damage.

For Melia, keeping two on hold and only dispelling the third when you get it is a pretty viable strategy. For trash, you'll probably just go all out with fire->bolt->copy->release for quick damage, but stacking two earth or ice for defense or ether defense is good for longer, tougher battles. Just remember to level up copy because stacking element bonuses is never bad and it has its own, separate cooldown.
>>
>>322124953
Not to mention Shulk's talent art charges faster than anyone else in the first place, and he has Battle Soul to charge it further in an emergency. Only problem with Battle Soul is the AI will use it literally every time it's off cooldown, but you can just take it off his bar and it'll still be up 99% of the time you need Shulk to do something to save your ass. Or just play as Shulk yourself if you have to.
>>
>>322126324
You must be talking about the sequel, Xenoblade Chronicles X, where the sound team was apparently made of 3 people who had just discovered rap but weren't skilled enough to make good songs.
UHH, UHH YEEEEEEAH!
>>
>>322127421
STUCK IN A WHOLE DIFFERENT PLANET

I think the Tyrant battle song is really fucking good tho.
>>
>>322127594
You mean DIFFERENT PLAAAAAAHNAAAAT
The problem is that's THE ONLY good vocal track, and there's about 6 or 7. It doesn't help that the cutscene exclusive one is louder than dialogue too.
What the fuck happened to the sound team? X is the textbook example of what happens with a bad sound team.
>>
>>322127421
Yeah, really wish there was different music for NLA. Actually really like the manon-ship daytime music, which only reinforces how much better it is when its so close to

WAN TOO TREE FO
>>
>>322127769
Yes, it makes you wonder. Music wise C was way waaay better.

I'm quite enjoying X anyway, here's hoping they learn from C's unexpected relative success and this game to make a better one later.
>>
BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE
>>
I feel bad for people who can't get into this game. You're missing out.
>>
>>322122537
>Am I the only one here?
no, i didn't like it either. it's just so bland, besides the art direction, nothing is original here.
>>
File: Riki_with_weapon[1].png (266 KB, 518x444) Image search: [Google]
Riki_with_weapon[1].png
266 KB, 518x444
>>322122537
I'm playing through the game as well, like 30 hours in, and I'm also on the verge of dropping it. I'm liking almost everything about it, but those quests, holy shit is it bad.
It's like they mashed together the worst aspects of JRPG questing and MMORPG questing, and then pumped an insane amount of this shitty mix into the game in an attempt to inflate the amount of content. The quests are bad, and slow to complete (for what they are), and there's so many of them that doing them all will leave you overleveled, but at the same time not doing them means having your quest log swamped with shit, or missing out on the few good ones. Such a terrible mechanic in an otherwise fine game.
>>
>>322127421
ONE BY OOOOOOOONE

It's just Sawano being Sawano. Almost all of his music sounds the same. I can't say I dislike it, but I'm tired of it.
>>
>>322128505
if you're playing on Dolphin I suggest using AR to reduce the side quest XP by 75%.
>>
>>322123856
>My main issue is how much random romping around between meaningful story points.
This is the issue for X, troll. Not XC. Get the fuck out.
>>
>>322123712
Dude if you didn't use gems heavily until the mechonis core, then you're very retarded.
>>
>>322122537

51 posts, 27 posters. Someone's samefagging hard.
>>
>>322122537
to be honest, I love XCX tons of fun.. but XC well lets just say I suffered to the end, waaaaaaaayy too much grind, shitty battle system forcing you to use certain skills on certain enemies and only MC fag can do it.. ugh...
>>
>>322129174
Later on everyone gets Mechon Weapons. Loved that. Then I could go full Dunban.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.