[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let me ask you something, /v/. For a second, let's forget
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Let me ask you something, /v/.

For a second, let's forget piracy is a thing. Let's just assume you can't get whatever games you want for free. You have to pay for titles.

You want to play a game from the SNES. Or an old DOS game. Maybe something on the Neo Geo? It doesn't matter, it's old is the point.

You either can't afford to buy it or don't own the system, either way something is stopping you from picking it up for the original format. It's being released on the Wii U's virtual console, or steam through emulators, or some other platform like that.

What do you think is a reasonable price to expect to pay for a game from 1992 in 2015?
>>
>>322118001
Depends on the game, depends if it's literally just running on an emulator or if it has anything new like HD remastering.

I think I paid $3 for some genesis roms on an official Sega emulator on iOS because I'm an idiot that wanted to play Golden Axe 3 in an official way? I'll pay maybe up to $5 for literally a rom of a 16 bit game running in an emulator I guess. I mean yes those games came out for $60 or whatever at the time, but they're old as shit now and even modern games drop in price over time.
>>
>>322118001
The pricing is completely arbitrary because the digital distributor was not involved in the financial process that created the game. They're just selling access to someone else's data.
>>
I'd hesitate to make an exact number for something like that but I'd put my absolute upper limit at $15 with $10 being the most I'd pay for 90% of titles, and obviously preferring to pay less on many as well.

I don't get this notion that just because something is old it isn't worth paying for anymore.

>>322118873
What about something like Nintendo releasing Nintendo-made NES games on eshop?
>>
old games often had levels and shit right?
okay we'll do 59.99 for the base game (halve of the levels) + 59.99 season pass for the later coming DLC (rest of the levels).
Fuck you it's a classic, it's worth that money
>>
no more than $5
>>
I think the way its done now is reasonable. Rare games that on carts that can get really expensive are often at the same flat rate as other games on the digital distribution from the same generation. Old games are still worth the money because they are just as fun as on release. New games offer expanded and different features, but I still play classics because they will always be good.
>>
>>322118001
0.99$
>>
$5
less during sales
>>
>>322119194
If Nintendo already recouped the investment to make the game through its sales, it's really just a question of "how much profit can we suck out of our customers?". That's how business works. If Nintendo were confident that they could slap a $100 price tag on a digital release without alienating their customers, they'd do it because it would obviously make them more money than selling the game at $10. You're trying to introduce an ethical dimension to this but there isn't one.
>>
Preferably, they would be included as bonus minigames inside ingame arcades and consoles, with a big ass mega pack every two gens or so(that includes bonus content like a dev documentary, a new minigame, interviews or even a remixed fan music album).

But if official ROMs need a price, I'd say 1 gen after the discontinuation of a console minimum, no retro compatibility between them, 60% of original price tops if it was a big hit and is physically packaged(obviously more for fancy swag like metal boxes, or some anniversary t-shirt), going as low as 30%. If it's a digital edition, the price would be 10$ tops, but averaging at 5$.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.