[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has piracy killed any consoles?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: sony-cracking-down-psp-piracy.jpg (160 KB, 685x400) Image search: [Google]
sony-cracking-down-psp-piracy.jpg
160 KB, 685x400
We know piracy really hurt pc gaming .( When was the last time we had a AAA pc-exclusive title from a major publisher? Crysis was the last and it sold so poorly it got ported to consoles.)

Sony said piracy really hurt psp software sales.
>>
No console has ever failed because of piracy.

The reason piracy is the excuse a lot of the time is because:
- it takes time and effort to gather reliable statistics about the volume of piracy
- it's difficult to prove, and therefore to prove wrong, that without piracy the potential customer would have become an actual customer
- it places the blame on anything but the console developer who wants to appear competent and maintain its brand's quality
>>
the ps1 era had more modded playstations than anything else, at least here in britain anyway (you got an explorer type thing from magazines too) the playstation brand flourished despite that

i still have my chipped playstation, its put away though
>>
Piracy actually saved the PSP or at least prevented it from being a total flop like the Vita
It went from no games to the ultimate pocket emulation device, at least before android was a thing
>>
>Sony went from the glorious PSP
>To the garbage Vita which is more locked down than Fort Knox
>>
File: watermelon2.jpg (28 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
watermelon2.jpg
28 KB, 550x367
>We know piracy really hurt pc gaming .
>>
>>322117378
No. Anti-Piracy kills consoles
>>
>>322117378

>Last big exclusive AAA PC game.

Civ:BE. I'd argue the lastest starcraft expansion.
>>
>>322117378
No, it's opposite, piracy makes consoles successful

The fact that the PS2 was easy to pirate was one of the factors of why it was such a success

Anti-piracy in the other hand kills them, take a look at the GC, it flopped because it couldn't be pirated due those special CDs
>>
>>322117378
bwhahawhwhaawhawaw
this keks are still buying games
>>
>>322117378
>Sony said piracy really hurt psp software sales.

People had the system but there was no point in paying for the games when it was piss easy to hack and all you needed was a big SD card. They couldn't toss out patching updates.

It's part of the reason the Vita is the way it is in the first place.

>>322122645
>The fact that the PS2 was easy to pirate was one of the factors of why it was such a success

no it wasn't.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.