[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you tell me what's your problem with Dark Souls II?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: Lordran_large.0.png (1 MB, 1280x3840) Image search: [Google]
Lordran_large.0.png
1 MB, 1280x3840
Can you tell me what's your problem with Dark Souls II? I noticed this game get's lot of hate but no one really explains why.

I am currently playing DaS 1 and I really love it and I am looking forward playing DaS 2. I want to know what I am going into.
>>
>>322105589
weaker level design
mixed bosses with a lot of fodder bosses
better PvP
fucked up matchmaking
redeming DLC
>>
File: flacid.gif (1 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
flacid.gif
1 MB, 500x500
Story and atmosphere is subpar in comparison to Dark Souls 1. A lot of the bosses are trivial, even if they have cool designs. Soul memory is retarded, and makes it impossible to play with friends.
I mostly enjoyed it, but it didn't capture the "magic" of DS1.
>>
>>322105589
The motion capture animations don't feel good for this style of game. That combined with the awful enemy tracking makes the gameplay feel like shit. It just feels so slow
>>
>>322105589
Soul level, simple and boring locations (dlcs are fine though), bosses copied straight from ds1, inferior atmosphere, armor doesnt gleam on sunlight anymore.
Overall the game is fine.
>>
holy shit, 4 replies and they're all saying it's okay.

it's almost like /v/ overreacted to fuck when this game came out
>>
You play as same character in DaS II as in DaS 1 or it is a new chosen undead?
>>
>>322105832
Jesus this is accurate, weird coming from /v/
>>
>>322106256
>it's almost like /v/ overreacted to fuck when this game came out
That is how it works everywhere, vidya or not.
It is all about hype. Bigger the hype, bigger the disappointment.
>>
>>322106256
It was more of a disappointment in the game.

Not so much that it was a bad game, but that it didn't surpass the original.

It also had a few retarded changes that pissed off a lot of people (weapon durability, soul memory, etc).
>>
The art doesn't quite live up to the standards set by DS1, as far as the levels and enemies are concerned, other than that, it's virtually the same game and I never understood the hate for it either.
>>
>>322105589

Instead of making a good game, they focused on making a hard game.

The first game was somewhat difficult but fair. The second game literally throws enemies at you in retarded scenarios.

I remember one part where you have to go down a ladder with 10 dogs at the bottom, and then you get invaded by a red phantom at the same time.

Just bullshit.
>>
>>322106720
>Instead of making a good game, they focused on making a hard game.

Oh, like the entire series? :^)
>>
>>322106720
so shoot the dogs with a bow?
so use a sweeping weapon to kill all the dogs quickly?
so git gud?

saying that, the scholar of the first sin edits were literally meme hard.
>those angry heide knights attacking from the bonfire
>that room with the tree in the middle having ~20 zombies now rather than 5 plus the sleeping head knight
>archers all over the forrest that you can't kill unless a ranged class
>undead wharf
>>
>>322105969
Underrated critique. The animations were a huge part of what made DS2 lackluster because they slowed down the gameplay and removed pretty much all of the "flair" the series has.
>>
>>322105589
<autism>
I don't think that picture is accurate.
New Londo isn't below Izalith. It's bottom level is at the same height as the top of Blighttown.

Also Ash Lake is missing and should be on the lowest level (only The Abyss being lower than it)

</autism>
>>
Fedoras

The game is fine.
>>
>>322106912
The other games in the series are only as hard as it needs to be to capture the right atmosphere. DaS2 was hard because B-Team took the memes too seriously.
>>
>>322107327
>I don't think a fanart showing some fictional and mostly horizontal landscape as a flying and mostly vertical island is accurate
>>
>>322107265
>he doesn't twinblade/shotel
>>
>>322105589
This picture is neat.
>>
File: 1382181304052.jpg (109 KB, 500x689) Image search: [Google]
1382181304052.jpg
109 KB, 500x689
>>322105832
>>
>>322105589
Better combat, horrible level design that makes no sense at times, too many instances of gang rushing enemies, boring humanoid bosses, reuse of assets without explanation, no explanation of important lore until scholar of first sin, complete focus on difficulty for the sake of difficulty, enemies at certain levels will one shit you because they're actually "traps" you have to know ahead (not mimics)
>>
>>322105589
>Blighttown
>New Londo

That map doesn't make any sence
>>
>>322109894

Is One Piece worth reading?
>>
>>322106256
Its okay.
Just don't compare it to des or DaS1.
>>
>>322111095
It was
>>
Its a game fucked over by changing directors halfway through and just a huge cash grab in general.

but since video game audiences have no fucking self respect unlike people who read books or watch movies you get retards actually defending this objectively piece of shit game.

Seriously its like defending the prequels or terminator 3.

Gamers are such a joke.
>>
>>322111184

So if I start from the beginning it'll be fine?
>>
>>322111283
Terminator 3 is better than 2 because it doesn't have a shitty child actor.
>>
>Largely unambitious and un-organic level design.
>i-frames as a stat means animations don't communicate hit-box collision to the player well.
>Poor writing, I know it isn't the focus of Souls games but Miyazaki's games have a great deal of subtlety in the dialogue and restraint in how it metes out info.

Other than that it's a fun game with a reliable formula of exploration, challenge and reward. I didn't have too much frustration with the gank squads mentioned on here but, then again, I played SotFS first.
>>
>>322111283
Changing directors actually allowed the game to be tolerable. And you're way off about the game being objectively bad. There are bad games and comparing those to das2 will show that those games are greatly inferior to das2. Das2 is the worst in the souls borne series, but that's a damn good series so it's like saying one of Stanley Kubrick's movies is his worst. Das2 is a good game, it's just not as good as people, myself inclded, expected
>>
>>322111283
Stop yelling things you thought about before going to sleep
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.