[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the worse Doom level ever and why is it Downtown? Seriously
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: pic.jpg (17 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
pic.jpg
17 KB, 320x240
Whats the worse Doom level ever and why is it Downtown? Seriously this map is a fucking mess. I dont think this even qualifies as level design
>>
reminder duke nukem 3d was better in every way
>>
>>322100790
Ok? It also came out several years later. You do realize that without doom, duke3d would have never existed? They're both near perfect games anyways
>>
>>322100671
I see and appreciate where they were going with some of these more "realistic" levels

...but yeah this was horrible
>>
>>322100790
Also duke3d relies way more on hitscan enemies as well as having more hit and miss levels. Almost every level in doom 1 is a jewl
>>
>>322101142
It might have been cool back then but today its bad. I prefer the levels that dont resemble actual places but still make sense in terms of level design. Today this doesnt work as a level nor does even slightly resemble a downtown.
>>
>>322100671
Anything in Doom 2, really. I can't even pick the worst, they're all fucking terrible, monster closets and teleports galore.
>>
>>322101528
Most Doom 2 levels were shit, but there's a few that stand out as better than anything in Doom 1. Its really sad to, it was a waste of all the new enemy types and the super shotty (aka best weapon in an fps ever)
>>
yeah a lot of doom 2's levels kinda suck, you can kinda see what they were going for but the build engine games did a much better job of creating a believable "realistic" enviroment
doom 2 was also for experienced players who had already played doom 1, same deal as final doom
>>
>>322100671
It's Downtown. Because a game that doesn't even allow you to aim up or down natively shouldn't have a focus on verticality. And big, empty areas are the antithesis of Doom.

>>322101528
Doom 2 both had the best and worst levels of the two. Really, the first 11 are pretty much all fantastic, and then it goes to shit.
>>
File: best-gifs-7-barrel-explodes[1].gif (2 MB, 420x230) Image search: [Google]
best-gifs-7-barrel-explodes[1].gif
2 MB, 420x230
Barrels O'Fun always broke the immersion for me. It felt like I was in a silly platformer suddenly.
>>
>>322101660
I can name a few decent levels off the top of my head in Doom 2 (like, say, The Living End, that one was great) but they're forever marred by gimmicks, monster closets and "look at what our engine can do!" moments (i.e. Chasm).

In my opinion, Doom 2 is trying to be Serious Sam before Serious Sam invented Serious Sam. Also surprisingly even boring corridors of TFE make better levels.

>>322101860
Nah man, nah. It all goes to shit with The Crusher. It starts a series of "look at all the silly maps we can make!" and then it just spirals downward.
>>
What fan maps/megawads do i should play? I'm getting tired of vanilla maps.

I played some total conversions (pirate doom!) and Monster hunter ltd . They are fun [/spoiler
>>
I waited like 2 hours to say that downtown is definitively the worst doom level.

>>322101332
no, it looked like shit when it came out. it always did. it was confusing and weird.
>>
>>322102052
>It all goes to shit with The Crusher
I really like The Crusher. The first 6 maps are all great, really. If anything the decline starts with 7 - Dead Simple, since it's less of a map and more of a shooting gallery, but even then 8-11 are still holding their own. It's once the city levels start at The Factory that it all goes to shit, in my opinion.
>>
File: PEG - serious sam.jpg (775 KB, 986x1378) Image search: [Google]
PEG - serious sam.jpg
775 KB, 986x1378
>>322102368
>not Nirvana
>not Barrels of Fun
>not Chasm
>not Bloodfalls

Doom 2 has plenty of levels that are above Doom 1's average.
>Focus
>Refueling base
>Crusher
>Industrial Zone
>Spirit World
>Living End

Also, fuck Serious Sam.
>>
>>322100790
any cool DN mods you recommend? otherwise ill stick with my brutaldoom, guncaster and proyect msx.
>>
File: Are you serious.png (52 KB, 511x517) Image search: [Google]
Are you serious.png
52 KB, 511x517
>>322103435
>Also, fuck Serious Sam.
>>
>>322100790
Doom > Blood > DN3D
>>
File: laughing demons.jpg (202 KB, 486x466) Image search: [Google]
laughing demons.jpg
202 KB, 486x466
>>322103819
Doom > FEAR > Halo > Unreal MP > Quake > Doom 3 > Serious Sam > Half-Life > Unreal SP > Borderlands 2 > Call of Duty: Black Ops > Half-Life 2
>>
>>322103435
>newgrounds
i don't even
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.